What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

(poll): Napoleon Dynamite (1 Viewer)

Bonus #2: Correlation: Do you feel relatively the same way about both movies?

• Yes, more or less

Votes: 38 40.0%
  • No, markedly different reactions: Choose below

Votes: 28 29.5%
  • H&K funny, ND not

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • ND funny, H&K not

Votes: 32 33.7%

• Total voters

Baconator

Footballguy
Allright, I watched this movie again a few weeks ago. Same reaction as the first time. But it was so unfunny the first time and so many people swear by this movie, I forced myself to watch it again. (Plus, I was bored outta my skull). Still Unfunny. The only scene that made me LOL was (of course) ND on the bike ramp. But that's a cheap laugh.

And, I place Harold and Kumar in that same category. Many people apparently found this funny, I did not.

However, I have a suspicion; I call it the "Macy Gray Effect". You may know it as "The Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome". I'm convinced that "they" (whoever "they" are in Hwood/Nyork) occasionally randomly choose something that sucks and elevate it just to prove that "they" are so cool they can convince a bunch of other wanna-be hipsters to eat dogcrap and like it.

But, I'm open-minded. I'm really interested in your opinions of these movies. - Especially curious to see how the 3rd question in the poll comes out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I legitimately LOL at both movies. Knew nothing about them at all going in, so no built in bias, and saw them at home on video with my wife, so no laughing along with the masses. I just thought they were funny.

It was pretty unfunny overall...with several very good moments.

"do the Chickens have large talons"

"I caught you a delicious bass"

"Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

And of course most of Uncle Rico...especially throwing the steak at Napolean...looks even better in this where someone put Vince Young's head on Uncle Rico...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/Bew.../vinceyoung.gif

How old are you?

When I watched ND I assumed that signaled that I was officially "old" and just "didn't get it" anymore. I've moved on and I'm OK with it.

I'm 39, have not seen H&K, knew little about ND when I saw it. I thought it was hilarious.

Question for yoou: Are you a chick? Most chicks don't think it's very funny.

eta: I thought American Pie was awful, so it's not an old/young thing - I don't like everything the yungins' like

My wife and I, both 33, laughed are ####s off at both.

Do you smoke pot? this may be important.

Not a chick but saw it with my wife who also hated it.

Also don't smoke pot and that may be relevant.

ND- Not really funny. I haven't rewatched, so I don't know if my mood will improve.

H/K - Hilarious. A little over the top at times, but a great comedy, IMO.

For me, it's the intelligence of the main characters. ND was an idiot for the most part, and it annoyed me more that it caused me to laugh. I'm not a big fan of the "what will the dip**** do next" comedies. H/K didn't have that problem. Most of the characters in the movie were relatively normal. It was the writers that sometimes strayed into idiot territory in that one.

I didn't enjoy "ND" at all. I wanted to like it early on but quickly found myself laughing at him rather than with him. Ultimately, I found it a kind of mean-spirited comedy that I didn't care for. I didn't care for "Nacho Libre" either, so there is something about how Hess writes/directs that is off-putting to me somehow.

"H & K..." was gentle enough. Slapstick of a very familiar kind. Not hilarious but kind of fun.

I didn't enjoy "ND" at all. I wanted to like it early on but quickly found myself laughing at him rather than with him. Ultimately, I found it a kind of mean-spirited comedy that I didn't care for.
I think you came about as close to how I feel about it as anyone ever has.

M, 41 - 3 viewings

1st time put me to sleep. I couldn't believe how boring and unfunny it was. I kept waiting for a plot to develop.

2nd time I found a couple of things to be mildly amusing. I saw some evidence of a plot, but no character development.

3rd time I thought it was slightly funnier than the second. I gave up on trying to define it as a narrative film and decided that I wouldn't attempt to view it again, nor would I go out of my way to avoid it.

I've seen H&K three times as well. I appreciated it less with each subsequent viewing. However, it's funnier and has a better-defined plot and character arcs, but I don't care if I ever see that movie again either.

Harold and Kumar was hilarious. Awesome.

If you didn't find it funny, perhaps I can recommend you smoke a bowl and then watch it.

ND- Not really funny. I haven't rewatched, so I don't know if my mood will improve.H/K - Hilarious. A little over the top at times, but a great comedy, IMO.For me, it's the intelligence of the main characters. ND was an idiot for the most part, and it annoyed me more that it caused me to laugh. I'm not a big fan of the "what will the dip**** do next" comedies. H/K didn't have that problem. Most of the characters in the movie were relatively normal. It was the writers that sometimes strayed into idiot territory in that one.
Ditto.NPH playing himself as a drugged-up, car-stealing womanizer? That's :thumbup: "NPH wouldn't do that."

I didn't enjoy "ND" at all. I wanted to like it early on but quickly found myself laughing at him rather than with him. Ultimately, I found it a kind of mean-spirited comedy that I didn't care for.
It wasn't a mean-spirited movie and point wasn't to mock the characters.

It was pretty unfunny overall...with several very good moments.

"do the Chickens have large talons"

"I caught you a delicious bass"

"Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

And of course most of Uncle Rico...especially throwing the steak at Napolean...looks even better in this where someone put Vince Young's head on Uncle Rico...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/Bew.../vinceyoung.gif
Dr.Pepper on keyboard :excited:

Exactly.If it helps those who have this concern, people in rural Idaho, where this takes place, LOVED the movie, because it is so spot on.Probably helped that I spent some time in Utah. That could be any small town in Utah, too.

I haven't seen H&K but my feeling on ND changed after a couple of viewings. At first I thought the writers were trying too hard - every single character is a freak. But after you see it once or twice you get used to it and it's pretty damned funny.

Also, ND has probably the best opening credits ever.

I've got no problem with mean spirited, dark or black comedy. I worship at the altar of Bill Murray after all. "ND" didn't do a very good job of convincing me that it wasn't mocking them somehow. Some of it was the editing, which is a clear and deliberate choice on the part of the director.

I legitimately LOL at both movies. Knew nothing about them at all going in, so no built in bias, and saw them at home on video with my wife, so no laughing along with the masses. I just thought they were funny.
:lmao: Me too.

Uncle Rico is a riot.
Very few things in film are funnier than Uncle Rico outside his van/home making videos of himself throwing a football.
My favorite scene is when Napolean hits Rico's van with an orange (or was it a grapefruit?) and Rico goes to run him down, then they have a little face off while Napolean pump fakes and then drills him with another piece of fruit, then Napolean runs away, climbs a fence and then falls over it onto the other side. :lmao: :lmao: Freaking hilarious.

I've got no problem with mean spirited, dark or black comedy. I worship at the altar of Bill Murray after all. "ND" didn't do a very good job of convincing me that it wasn't mocking them somehow. Some of it was the editing, which is a clear and deliberate choice on the part of the director.
cstu is right, it was actually a glorification of the goofy characters and a mocking of the "cool" kids.Did you people not watch the end? Napolean does a truly great thing and puts himself on the line for his only friend who ends up becoming class President. His brother Kip finds true love with LuFanda and Napolean and Deb end up a couple. All the goofy kids end up happy while Summer loses the election and here jerk blonde boyfriend looks like an idiot.It is more of a Revenge of the Nerds type thing than making fun of the characters.

cstu is right, it was actually a glorification of the goofy characters and a mocking of the "cool" kids.

Did you people not watch the end? Napolean does a truly great thing and puts himself on the line for his only friend who ends up becoming class President. His brother Kip finds true love with LuFanda and Napolean and Deb end up a couple. All the goofy kids end up happy while Summer loses the election and here jerk blonde boyfriend looks like an idiot.

It is more of a Revenge of the Nerds type thing than making fun of the characters.
that might have been the intent but it didn't come across that way to me. that's fine if it did for you and others. for me, however, it didn't do a good enough job there. those weren't the only problems i had with it but that's fine. it was just an unfunny movie, imo. i'm also the only FBG that seems to hate "the big lebowski" too.

ND got better with subsequent watchings. I wouldn't put it among the funniest movies I've ever seen, but I enjoyed it for what it is. After awhile, I REALLY started to laugh at the tone of Pedro's voice. And I agree with the Uncle Rico love. That's some funny stuff.

It's one of those movies you either get or you don't.

ND was funnier the second time through, but overall I can't share it being as awsome as most say it is.

Harold and Kumar was funny, re-watchable, better on subsequent viewings, but not awesome enough for me to see the sequel in the theater.. however I will rent it when it comes out.

:goodposting: @ taking a pretentious tone over such an inconsequential movie.
I didn't mean to do that.Some people find it funny. Others don't. I do.

That's all I meant. I didn't mean I was superior to anyone. I don't know how you can judge my tone over a message board, anyway.
Not sure where Despyzer's comment comes from. The poll results pretty much back up your assertion. When half the people say it was "Hillarious-LOL funny" and the other half are at best "meh". That tells you something.

:lmao: @ taking a pretentious tone over such an inconsequential movie.

That's all I meant. I didn't mean I was superior to anyone. I don't know how you can judge my tone over a message board, anyway.
Not sure where Despyzer's comment comes from. The poll results pretty much back up your assertion. When half the people say it was "Hillarious-LOL funny" and the other half are at best "meh". That tells you something.
To claim that there is something "to get" about this movie is giving it far too much credit. The inference is that if you don't "get it," you must not understand it, which is incredibly pretentious. I think "Anchorman" is hysterical, but if you said you didn't think it was funny, I wouldn't resort to remarking that you just didn't get it. I'd just chalk it up to us having a different sense of humor.

ND was hilarious. H&K had funny moments but that's about it.

My favorite scene from ND is when Pedro's cousins drive up in the lowrider to menace the bully about to get tough at the bikeracks. The way they just shake their heads at him. :whoosh:

:bow: @ taking a pretentious tone over such an inconsequential movie.

To claim that there is something "to get" about this movie is giving it far too much credit. The inference is that if you don't "get it," you must not understand it, which is incredibly pretentious. I think "Anchorman" is hysterical, but if you said you didn't think it was funny, I wouldn't resort to remarking that you just didn't get it. I'd just chalk it up to us having a different sense of humor.
Look, if you don't get Napolean Dynamite than you are just an idiot.

ND- Not really funny. I haven't rewatched, so I don't know if my mood will improve.H/K - Hilarious. A little over the top at times, but a great comedy, IMO.For me, it's the intelligence of the main characters. ND was an idiot for the most part, and it annoyed me more that it caused me to laugh. I'm not a big fan of the "what will the dip**** do next" comedies. H/K didn't have that problem. Most of the characters in the movie were relatively normal. It was the writers that sometimes strayed into idiot territory in that one.
:2cents: This sums it up for me too. Uncle Rico was fantastic and the only scenes that were funny involved him. I was annoyed by ND the entire time. What's so funny about a dork asking people for tater tots or talking about lygers?

Users who are viewing this thread