What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Poll: who gets Madden Jinx next season ('07)? (1 Viewer)

Who do you think will/should be Madden 07 Poster Boy?

• Ladanian Tomlinson (LT2)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shaun Alexander

• Edge James

• Peyton Manning

• Carson Palmer

• Tom Brady

• Chad Johnson

• Tory Holt

• Total voters

IndyHavoc

Footballguy
Just had a terrifying thought. What if Peyton or Edge ends up on Madden '07 next year! Oh man, please please please don't put any of the Colts on there. Last thing we need is the newest strain of the Madden Curse! You know, the strong strain where not only does the cover-boy get injured, but the whole team collapses as well.I'm thinking LT is almost destined for the Madden cover, but you can't deny CJ's charisma. I'm wondering if Peyton is supersticous and refuses to do it. You'd think he woulda been on there already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the players even have a say on who is on the cover? I thought the NFL owned the rights to their images, so they deceide whos image is purchased by Madden 2006.

I have a bad feeling that either LT or Alexander. My guess is Alexander has a better shot. He may break some TD record and may EVEN make it to the superbowl.Edge just isn't "flashy" enough. ???

Manning was the spokeperson for a rival NFL game (NFL Fever on XBox). Maybe that saves him.

I hope Tom Brady doesn't end up on the cover but if he keeps putting up numbers like these he may.

I think CJ..... or LT.....I can definately see CJ....hahaha I feel bad for the players if they don't get to choose whether or not they be put on the cover... be part of the Madden curse...

Just had a terrifying thought. What if Peyton or Edge ends up on Madden '07 next year! Oh man, please please please don't put any of the Colts on there. Last thing we need is the newest strain of the Madden Curse! You know, the strong strain where not only does the cover-boy get injured, but the whole team collapses as well.

I'm thinking LT is almost destined for the Madden cover, but you can't deny CJ's charisma. I'm wondering if Peyton is supersticous and refuses to do it. You'd think he woulda been on there already.
Who was on it this year?

Somewhat different but wasnt Carson Palmer on the cover of the 2002/3 NCAA football game?

Do the players even have a say on who is on the cover? I thought the NFL owned the rights to their images, so they deceide whos image is purchased by Madden 2006.
I can't imagine they would do that without the players approval simply because the player has to travel to some marketing events to promote the game. How could you force someone to do that?

Somewhat different but wasnt Carson Palmer on the cover of the 2002/3 NCAA football game?
I believe Carson was on it in 2004. Joey Harrington was on it that year I believe.

Can anyone run down the list of Madden victims in recent years?
The only real victims are the QBs who have been on the cover.Culpepper (2002), Vick (2004), and McNabb (2006) all got hurt and their teams missed the playoffs the year that they were on the cover.

In the other seasons, there's been on excellent season (Eddie George, 2001) and a couple of good but worse-than-expected seasons (Marshall Faulk, 2003 and Ray Lewis, 2005).

The one constant is that the cover player's team has always done worse, without exception, in the year he was on the cover than the year before. Of course, since he was on a Super Bowl contender the year before, it's not entirely unexpected. But this is the one trend that actually works across the board.

The NCAA game hasn't really seen any trend like this. Weinke (2002) and Harrington (2003) didn't work out well in the NFL, but clearly Palmer (2004) and Fitzgerald (2005) have. Desmond Howard was on the cover for 2006.

Michael Vick (04/ preseason before he got knocked out for most of the year by the Ravens)Donovan Mcnabb (06/before this year)

Marshall Faulk (02/ 7 1,000 yard seasons prior to gracing the cover, then got hurt and missed 6 games)

Eddie George (00 i think/ had the worst season of his career following his cover appearance, averaging 3 YPC after the Titans' SB run)

Daunte Culpepper (01/ lost for the season that year with a knee injury)

And it seems like Kurt Warner was on it before the Patriots basically ended his career with the Rams, but I might be wrong.

linkey

Michael Vick (04/ preseason before he got knocked out for most of the year by the Ravens)Donovan Mcnabb (06/before this year)

Marshall Faulk (02/ 7 1,000 yard seasons prior to gracing the cover, then got hurt and missed 6 games)

Eddie George (00 i think/ had the worst season of his career following his cover appearance, averaging 3 YPC after the Titans' SB run)

And it seems like Kurt Warner was on it before the Patriots basically ended his career with the Rams, but I might be wrong.

linkey
One player that hasn't been there but should..........Priest

The cover man usually depends on what upgrades they make in the game. in 2004 it was Vick, the big improvement was QB mobility. In 2005 it way Ray Lewis who was not effected by the cures. The big improvement was the hit stick and individual Defensive match ups. this year it's McNabb and the improvement is percision passing.It think it will be wither a RB or WR. Probably a RB because I'm not sure what kind of WR upgrade they could introduce. It's gotta be LT or SA.

None of the above. It will be Adam Vinatieri when they upgrade the kicking features for heightened realism.

linkey
Eddie George had a good season the year he was on the box. The only real "curse" he had was that he bobbled a pass in the playoffs that Ray Lewis picked and took to the house, which was the difference in the game. Daunte Culpepper didn't get injured that year he was on the cover, but he did play subpar.

Daunte Culpepper didn't get injured that year he was on the cover, but he did play subpar.
Yes he did.He was on the cover for Madden 2002, which was released before the 2001 season. Culpepper missed 5 games that year and the Vikings went 5-11 (a year after being in the NFC title game).

If the Colts go undefeated, how can they put anyone else on the cover? I'm not sure if it would be Manning, Edge, Marvin, Freeney or Dungy.

im pretty sure the players own the rights to their own image

I would think that it's up to the NFL Player's Association not the NFL. Would also think players have some say.

If the Colts go undefeated, how can they put anyone else on the cover? I'm not sure if it would be Manning, Edge, Marvin, Freeney or Dungy.
I am going to go out on a limb and say tony dungy won't be on the cover of Madden 2007. Just a hunch.

Nice bump. At this point it's gotta be Alexander..
Yep, if we cleared the votes and restarted, I'd have to say Alexander would garner more like 35-40%. He's set to break the all time TD record (tied now, right??). Plus, looks like LT is out of the playoffs, don't know if any of the Madden boys have been from a non-playoff team (don't think so).

OTHER: None of the Above

the jinx is a myth
I may be a little superstitious but I don't think the jinx is a myth. History and stats should have potential Madden cover players running away from EA. Common sense says it is just a myth but at this point, I wouldn't risk it. Next year, Sega's contract with ESPN will be over. EA has already struck a deal with ESPN, too. MNF has changed as well. The new Xbox 360 game features more realism according to the hype and the emphasis is on field noise and player chatter vs. two guys in a booth. I'm not sure what they will feature on the cover, but they could certainly take advantage of the relationship with ESPN to give us a wider variety of commentators and play-by-play voices. Since the Xbox 360 and PS3 will be the targets for the Madden 07 game (released August 06), I think realism will be what EA promotes considering the both of those gaming platforms are pushing the HD generation of gaming with THX sound, etc. I think we'll be seeing blades of grass stuck in the facemask, sweat on the players, etc. It might be the year to feature another defensive LB - how about Teddy Brewski? However, if he considers the Madden jinx, that could really be tempting fate. :football:

Users who are viewing this thread