What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Portis disappointment thread (1 Viewer)

Right now, I'm a big, fat :thumbdown: I hope someone can bump this later on in the year and say I overreacted in the first game.
Unfortunately this is a sign of things to come. Your fantasy team is doomed. Also, you are unlikely to get laid for the remainder of 2008.

Glad I traded him away in my 4 player keeper league. Never was a huge fan.

With that said I think he'll come back to form.

I know they get little respect, and that's fine, but the Giants are the Superbowl champs and have a pretty damn good defense despite the personell losses.

The Skins will get a better grip on the WCO and go against lesser defenses.

Portis will be fine.

Better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Portis is the only consistent weapon they have. Of course every team they face also knows this.

Portis has often been frustrating game-to-game. He's good but I didn't want to live with that again this season, so he isn't on my teams for the first time since 2004.

Something tells me we'll see worse than 80+ yds from an RB before the weekend is over. :rolleyes:

Portis is fine, the team around him however...

Cut Portis. Your season is over. Quit your league. There's no hope at all.

Oh, BTW, game 1, 2, and 3 rushing stats for LT last year:

17-25-1

18-43-0

22-62-0

And game 1 for Brees...

28-41-192-0-2

etc etc etc...

I'm not disapointed at all as a Postis owner. Portis looks to be the focal point of the offense this year. He'll get his points this year - all RBs have off games...

Do you expect him to get 100 yards and a TD EVERY game??

Something tells me we'll see worse than 80+ yds from an RB before the weekend is over. :rolleyes: Portis is fine, the team around him however...
Yeah. roughly 9 pts (and they might get the ball back) first game under new OC/System and you are "disappointed"? LOl that I also have Jacobs. Plus Campbell and portis in one league. so if BJ gets 9 yards this drive and they kick I am mony. Think it just happened.

I'm not disapointed at all as a Postis owner. Portis looks to be the focal point of the offense this year. He'll get his points this year - all RBs have off games...Do you expect him to get 100 yards and a TD EVERY game??
I am surprised, however, that to Zorn didn't call more screen and outs to Portis to help neutralize the pass rush.It's easy to lay the blame at Campbell's feet, but it looked like some pretty piss poor play calling to me.

I'm not disapointed at all as a Postis owner. Portis looks to be the focal point of the offense this year. He'll get his points this year - all RBs have off games...Do you expect him to get 100 yards and a TD EVERY game??
I expect more than I got tonight....but again, this is the first night and I'm nuts because my 1.07 pick but up 8 points.

Glad I traded him away in my 4 player keeper league. Never was a huge fan.With that said I think he'll come back to form.
I don't see how one could not be a fan. Love this guy. It was a bad game for him, but it's clear they're committed to getting him the ball. As this offense improves, so will Portis's numbers.

I am thinking if he keeps getting 23 carries that you have very little to worry about on the year.

But I am not upset to not have him on any teams this year... :wall:

I am surprised, however, that to Zorn didn't call more screen and outs to Portis to help neutralize the pass rush.It's easy to lay the blame at Campbell's feet, but it looked like some pretty piss poor play calling to me.
Agree with everything here. Why wasn't portis involved in passing game, and gotta get Cooley some targets, use the backs and te to beat the blitz.

The guys you should be disappointed with are Zorn and Campbell. Zorn's play calling was abysmal, and Campbell looks completely lost in the office.

I can't fault Portis Much. With a passing game as bad as tonights, it would be hard for any back to break 100.

I'd like to see him used more in the passing game, but 23 carries is a nice sign of the Team's commitment.

Should still post solid RB1 numbers by season's end.

Agree with everything here. Why wasn't portis involved in passing game, and gotta get Cooley some targets, use the backs and te to beat the blitz.
Outside of Portis' outstanding play (as usual), Wash's offense looked awful. From the run blocking, to the QB play, to the play calling and the clock management. Hopefully it was only growing pains of a new system facing the super bowl champs. I don't think people are giving the Giants enough credit for how good their D still is. There is nothing to worry about with Portis though IMO. The offense will play better as the season progresses. Zorn will learn how to better utilized his players and the players will better understand the playbook in time. Portis was the focal point of the offense and he sill looks like an elite talent at the position.

I am surprised, however, that to Zorn didn't call more screen and outs to Portis to help neutralize the pass rush.
"More?" I didn't see the whole game but the ONLY pass I saw to Portis was a desperation dump-off (which was called back thx to that great OL). Campbell and the OC both blow.

I actually thought Portis looked pretty good.

The Giants front seven is Top 5, 74 rush ypg last year, and until late in the 4th it seemed Portis got positive yardage on every carry. Even when he was hit in the backfield he managed a couple yards.

He looked sharp and quick. He fell to me in the 12th position, I wasn't prepared so I took him with some hesitation. I am comfortable with my pick now.

I'd be encouraged. Zorn seems to think the game is 5 quarters long so he's apt to stick with the run for the first 4 before feeling he needs to air it out.

I thought Portis looked great. Unfortunately, he's stuck on an anemic offense, and I didn't see any encouraging signs tonight. Good luck CP.

Maybe we should pay attention to pre-season a little more. That offense was horrid. Stats will lie - they loaded up with cheap yards in garbage time. This team may win 5 games - max.

what a ridiculous thread. he's only on pace for 1350 yards. That is more yardage than he had last year to finish as the #4 back.

Portis ran very well. Showed great balance, made his usual spectacular blocks, and I think caught what little that was thrown to him. The problem was clearly the pass protection, and Campbell's decision making. Oh, and that all pro TE should probably get a ball thrown to him before the 4th quarter. :lmao:

On the penalty, he got caught for a loss. On the very next play, caught for a loss. I'm hoping the Giants Defense is just good, and the Skins offense isn't THAT bad.

Well, I don't know if that is characteristic of Zorn or not. Can we make an inference about him as a QB coach and the number of receptions to running backs during the same time? I don't know if there is correlation or not, but here are the numbers:In 2003 Shaun Alexander had 42 receptions. Then SA drops off to 23 in '04 and 15 in '05, his big year. I wouldn't assume that this was an indictment to SA's skill. While Portis has posted the following receptions since '02: 33. 38, 40, 30, 17, and 47. So we know that Portis has the skill set. Again, not sure of what to make of the numbers, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Looked a lot like last year.... handoff up the middle for about 2-3 yards. :lmao:
last year he was the #5 FF RB in my league, so why the :lmao:
3.8 ypc + a bunch of completely average games + a big week 17 after the fantasy season was finished - a bunch of other RBs not playing a full season = RB #5. Won't happen again this year.
you do realize he managed 84 yards against a tough DEF and he got NO help from the passing game.

No, but if you are going to project yards off of one game, then use the same for TDs.

I know it is ridiculous, but I'm just sayin......I want more than this out of my 7th pick.

Users who are viewing this thread