What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Portis / Torain (1 Viewer)

Sigfawn

Footballguy
Torain is starting to remind me a little bit of a 2004 Drew Bennett.

Does anyone know if Portis is headed to the IR? That seems unlikely now, the Skins are still somewhat in the mix. Any homers have any insight how this RBBC might break down?

Torain seems to be running great. 2nd 100+ yard rushing game. TD totals have been solid. If Portis was on IR I'd feel great about this guy as a RB2 the rest of the way.

I have a feeling Portis is going to come back week 10-12 and throw the whole situation up in the air. Long term I don't like Torain due to injuries, history and Ratface drafting/signing new RBs every single year he's coached. But Torains value this year might be very interesting FF wise. I'm 50/50 on dealing him now for some value or trying to ride him for 5-6 more good weeks. Portis seems like the key to his FF value because once he comes back I see them splitting the work load pretty much down the middle. Portis still has some burst, great blocking, great pass protector.

It just seems a little too optimistic to hope Torain can keep this up with Portis looming although I don't know much about his injury or rehab schedule. Thoughts?

Torain looks good to me. Portis didn't sniff 100 yards in the games he did play in, so I'm not sure he's lock to play if/when he does come back if Torain keeps up his pace. The guy is getting it done. What's not to like?

I for one do not think Torrain will keep this up...but Portis has nothing to do with it. Torrain is a decent running back given the system, but there are several things that would concern me moving forward. First off he fumbled twice in the Bears game - Shanny is noted for detesting RBs that can't hold on to the rock. 2nd, the last two games he has seen exactly 1 reception. He is not seen as an everydown back, and as K. Williams becomes more familiar with the offense, I think he will start to eat into some of Torrain's carries (especially if Torrain continues to put the ball on the ground). Torrain also has quite an injury history. And finally his upcoming schedule (the number in parantheses is rank vs. the run) After Detroit this week (and the bye) Washington faces:

10 PHI (19)

11 @TEN (10)

12 MIN (11)

13 @NYG (7)

And for your FF playoffs:

14 TB (31)

15 @DAL (12)

16 @JAC (25)

The point here is, I doubt he'll be much help in your playoff run in weeks 10-13, and IF he's still healthy and getting a majority of the touches, he has a touch matchup in week 15.

And before someone comes in and posts something about the tremendous Bears run D, two things:

1) Those good numbers were posted with a healthy Lance Briggs in the lineup. While he did start Sunday, he left the game early and was out most of the game.

2) The last two games (without Briggs) - the Bears have given up an average of 119.5 yards rushing per game, which would be good for 23rd. And this against teams that were ranked 21st and 24th in rushing offense.

The point here is, IMHO, if you own Torrain in any format, let him run wild against the Lions, then trade him for someone that actually will help you get to and propser in the FF playoffs.

Edited for horrible grammar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Torain looks good to me. Portis didn't sniff 100 yards in the games he did play in, so I'm not sure he's lock to play if/when he does come back if Torain keeps up his pace. The guy is getting it done. What's not to like?
Fumbles
Luckily my leagues don't have negative point for fumbles, and even if they did his yards are solid. People seem awfully quick to discount this guy. Everyone in the stadium knew he was getting the ball on his last run, and he picked up 25 vs. a tough run D with the game on the line. The guy is putting up much better numbers than Portis/Johnson/Parker did. I have no idea if they bench Torain or not, but he's making the most out of his opportunity and playing well. In a standard scoring league I'm in, Torain is better than Benson and only 4 points behind Steven Jackson, and he's played in less games. I'll take that production.

Luckily my leagues don't have negative point for fumbles, and even if they did his yards are solid.
I'm not sure Shanahan cares what any fantasy league does or doesn't score. If Torain's fumbles are deemed a liability to the team by the coaching staff, he'll end up on the bench.That being said, the 'Skins are extremely thin at RB. I don't think Torain is going anywhere, barring a season ending injury. How the carries get split up, though, if Portis returns will almost certainly be determined by how much the coaches trust that Portis can give them what he was giving pre-injury.

Your league doesn't count fumbles, but Shanny does. He doesn't tolerate RBs that fumble or ones that can't pass block. Portis is past his prime, but he is a fierce pass blocker, I'd say one of the best non-OL blockers in the game. That alone will get him into games if he's healthy enough to do so. Also, they break it down each game, Torain still leaves some yards on the field by trying to cut back and bounce sometimes. He's definitely getting it done, so I would ride it out as long as possible. But I think there's a small opening for Portis to come back and they split carries.

I for one do not think Torrain will keep this up...but Portis has nothing to do with it. Torrain is a decent running back given the system, but there are several things that would concern me moving forward. First off he fumbled twice in the Bears game - Shanny is noted for detesting RBs that can't hold on to the rock. 2nd, the last two games he has seen exactly 1 reception. He is not seen as an everydown back, and as K. Williams becomes more familiar with the offense, I think he will start to eat into some of Torrain's carries (especially if Torrain continues to put the ball on the ground). Torrain also has quite an injury history. And finally his upcoming schedule (the number in parantheses is rank vs. the run) After Detroit this week (and the bye) Washington faces:

10 PHI (19)

11 @TEN (10)

12 MIN (11)

13 @NYG (7)

14 TB (31)

15 @DAL (12)

16 @JAC (25)

The point here is, I doubt he'll be much help in your playoff run in weeks 10-13, and IF he's still healthy and getting a majority of the touches, he has a touch matchup in week 15.

And before someone comes in and posts something about the tremendous Bears run D, two things:

1) Those good numbers were posted with a healthy Lance Briggs in the lineup. While he did start Sunday, he left the game early and was out most of the game.

2) The last two games (without Briggs) - the Bears have given up an average of 119.5 yards rushing per game, which would be good for 23rd. And this against teams that were ranked 21st and 24th in rushing offense.

The point here is, IMHO, if you own Torrain in any format, let him run wild against the Lions, then trade him for someone that actually will help you get to and propser in the FF playoffs.

right rightso having a 6 ypc avg against the Chicago defense is showing hes declining right?

thats up from 5.0 the week prior

In a tight game, after two fumbles (one lost) he still finishes with 21 carries, for 125 yards against a good DEF on the road. I think Shanny is ok with him in the role. I view him as a Flex start most weeks, RB2 with upside vs. bad Rush DEF.

I will say he was lucky to get 125 yards yesterday. Like someone mentioned Briggs departure helped but so did the game situation.

Torain had only 35 yards headed into the 4th quarter. If they were behind like they should have been, if not for 4 Cutler picks, then Torain probably wouldn't have done squat in the 4th quarter.

He broke off a series of big runs in the 4th but also fumbled twice. 125 is always good no matter how you get it but he was lucky.

Torain will be taken out of games when Portis comes back in all passing situations at the minimum. It sounds like the Redskins are possibly expecting Portis back in Week #10 against the Eagles. He is definitely a sell high candidate in my view. You would probably get more for him going into this week than you would get going into a Bye but it is a good matchup this week too.

I will say it again. I hope I can ride this guy for the rest of the season as a nice RB3 or injury fill in. But I have watched him play.

He is not that good. Yes he has gotten the yards, but he is a stop gap.

But I hope he keeps it up!!

Torain is starting to remind me a little bit of a 2004 Drew Bennett.

Does anyone know if Portis is headed to the IR? That seems unlikely now, the Skins are still somewhat in the mix. Any homers have any insight how this RBBC might break down?
Running back Clinton Portis, who suffered a severe groin injury three games ago, will definitely be out for next Sunday's game against the Detroit Lions, Shanahan said. He hopes that with a bye the following week, Portis might be able to return for the Nov. 15 game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Whether he reclaims his starting job from running back Ryan Torain appears to be an open question. "We're going to play the best players. People who give us the best chance to win," Shanahan said.
Washington Post beat reporters

what is the word on Portis' potential return. If he tore the muscle off the bone, I do not see how he returns this season
If it was a season ending injury he'd be on IR. I think there is a good chance he plays in week#10 in a huge game against the Eagles although it he will probably be limited to a 3rd down back at first and maybe the rest of the year.Torain's limitation is that he is nowhere near as good as Portis in pass blocking so it appears his days as an everydown back are numbered. Given the Redskins tough schedule post Bye there is a good chance the Redskins will be in a lot of passing situations late in the games limiting how much Torain will be on the field.

10 PHI (19)

11 @TEN (10)

12 MIN (11)

13 @NYG (7)

14 TB (31)

15 @DAL (12)

16 @JAC (25)

I'm sorry, but your post didn't make much sense to me, especially the portion about fantasy playoff time. You wrote:

And finally his upcoming schedule (the number in parantheses is rank vs. the run)

14 TB (31)

15 @DAL (12)

16 @JAC (25)

The point here is, I doubt he'll be much help in your playoff run in weeks 10-13...

-----------

I'm assuming you mean playoff run in weeks 14-16. I thought you were about to say "But he has an incredibly easy run in fantasy playoff time." Instead you said the exact opposite. Correct me if i'm wrong, but in week 14 Torain goes up against the 2nd worst team against the run, and in week 16 he goes against the 7th worst team against the run. These are some incredible mathcups during playoff time!

The part about his injury history, it seems to me that these are the type of things that are just repeated so many times on these boards and elsewhere that it doesn't really matter if they are true or not. With Torain, they simply are not true. He is not injury prone, at least not more than your average running back. RBs in the NFL tend to get hurt, and they get hurt a lot. Just because an RB has had some injuries doesn't make him prone to injuries, at least not more than your average RB. Torain doesn't get nagging injuries, in his career he has had a few serious ones, but so has your average NFL RB. I see no proof that he is more injury prone than your average back.

Regarding Keiland Williams, this guy has been on the team for the entire year. He got demoted when Torain was promoted. He has been on the team longer than Torain has. So I'm not sure how he is going to "learn the system and eat into Torain's carries." He has had more time to learn than Torain has, so what you're saying doesn't make all the sense in the world.

Regarding the Bears D, it is very "advantageous" to your position to disregard certain games and only count other games. Unfortunately in mathematics, when we talk of AVERAGES we don't have the luxury of deciding what numbers fall into the average. That's the point of the average, it takes it all. So whenever you see yourself omitting data in order to make a point with an "average" realize that you've just invalidated your argument.

10 PHI (19)

11 @TEN (10)

12 MIN (11)

13 @NYG (7)

14 TB (31)

15 @DAL (12)

16 @JAC (25)

I'm sorry, but your post didn't make much sense to me, especially the portion about fantasy playoff time. You wrote:

And finally his upcoming schedule (the number in parantheses is rank vs. the run)

14 TB (31)

15 @DAL (12)

16 @JAC (25)

The point here is, I doubt he'll be much help in your playoff run in weeks 10-13...

-----------

I'm assuming you mean playoff run in weeks 14-16. I thought you were about to say "But he has an incredibly easy run in fantasy playoff time." Instead you said the exact opposite. Correct me if i'm wrong, but in week 14 Torain goes up against the 2nd worst team against the run, and in week 16 he goes against the 7th worst team against the run. These are some incredible mathcups during playoff time!

The part about his injury history, it seems to me that these are the type of things that are just repeated so many times on these boards and elsewhere that it doesn't really matter if they are true or not. With Torain, they simply are not true. He is not injury prone, at least not more than your average running back. RBs in the NFL tend to get hurt, and they get hurt a lot. Just because an RB has had some injuries doesn't make him prone to injuries, at least not more than your average RB. Torain doesn't get nagging injuries, in his career he has had a few serious ones, but so has your average NFL RB. I see no proof that he is more injury prone than your average back.

Regarding Keiland Williams, this guy has been on the team for the entire year. He got demoted when Torain was promoted. He has been on the team longer than Torain has. So I'm not sure how he is going to "learn the system and eat into Torain's carries." He has had more time to learn than Torain has, so what you're saying doesn't make all the sense in the world.

Regarding the Bears D, it is very "advantageous" to your position to disregard certain games and only count other games. Unfortunately in mathematics, when we talk of AVERAGES we don't have the luxury of deciding what numbers fall into the average. That's the point of the average, it takes it all. So whenever you see yourself omitting data in order to make a point with an "average" realize that you've just invalidated your argument.
Actually I meant exactly what I said - during weeks 10-13, when you're making your run at the playoffs, he wont be much help, as he is facing tough defenses. In many leagues (including most of the ones I play in), division winners get 1st round byes (week 14), so that easy matchup in the playoffs does little if you are not even benefitting from it. Certainly the week 16 matcup is a nice one - so if you want to keep Torrain to play in the Championship game, by all means do so. I am suggesting it might be a better idea to trade him while his value is still high for someone that will help actually get you there as well as help you win it.

Regarding his injury history, CBS had this to say about Torain in Novemebr of '08:

It's worth noting here that Torain has suffered a Lisfranc foot sprain (some reports say he had a broken toe), a fractured elbow and now a torn ACL all within the last 13 months (the elbow and ACL are pro injuries; the foot/toe injury was in college). That suggests that while he's a nice talent, he's prone to injuries.

Rotoworld has had these gems this season:

Torain, a season-ending injury waiting to happen since his final year at Arizona State,...

Though incredibly brittle, Torain's talent when healthy is undeniable. The 23-year-old sat out all of last season after suffering a PCL injury early in Broncos training camp.

Since coming into the league 2 years ago, he has busted his elbow, and had ACL & PCL injuries on seperate knees. He missed all of 2009 due to injuries. You don't want to call him injury prone, that's fine. But more than just a handful of people on FBGs boards think he is exactly that.

In terms of K. Williams, first of all, he hasn't been on the team the whole year. He was released for a short time (he wasn't even on the team in week 4), then signed to the practice squad and was moved to the active roster when Portis was clearly out. Secondly, he has 11 receptions on the season compared to Torrain's 5. Williams is clearly taking 3rd down touches away from Torrain, and in the past 2 games Torain has had 1 reception total.

I already pointed out why I dismissed the Bears ranking - because the high rankings is largely a function of the Bears being healthy - and specifically Briggs. If you wish to include the Bears, feel free. I watched the game. Torain didn't to much of anything on the ground until the 4th quarter - and then, with Briggs out, he had some gaping holes to run through - holes that wont necessarily be there against quality run defenses.

As I said, Torain has been great as the starter to this point. He will likely be great next week against the Lions, but after that, I'd trade him. As Rotoworld said a few days ago:

Torain should remain the feature back against the Lions in Week 8. He'd be a terrific sell high if he exploited that matchup.

Which is exactly what I am saying.

gradin123 said:
doomsdaydoc said:
what is the word on Portis' potential return. If he tore the muscle off the bone, I do not see how he returns this season
If it was a season ending injury he'd be on IR. I think there is a good chance he plays in week#10 in a huge game against the Eagles although it he will probably be limited to a 3rd down back at first and maybe the rest of the year.Torain's limitation is that he is nowhere near as good as Portis in pass blocking so it appears his days as an everydown back are numbered. Given the Redskins tough schedule post Bye there is a good chance the Redskins will be in a lot of passing situations late in the games limiting how much Torain will be on the field.
:ptts: Local DC radio station was saying that Portis may be back after the bye. I'm a Torain owner, and I was shopping him a few weeks ago, and now I'm holding him at least through this week as he may start vs. Det. I'll likely try and unload him after that. I don't think the Skins can run consistently vs. good D. I don't think Portis is the answer either though. I'd put even money on him getting hurt again. I think the only upside Portis offers vs. Torain is his ability to block. So basically if the Skins are up, Torain will pound the ball and run out the clock. If they're down, expect Portis to be in there blocking for the pass game, AND taking those 5-10 yard runs vs. nickel and dime defenses. With no split, the WAS offense is tolerable for 1 RB. With Portis back, and the likely RBBC, I don't plan on owning either one. I owned Portis pre-injury, and Torain now, and like I said, I don't want either come week 10 if I can help it.

Why can't we all feel good about this guy?

I started the season with Portis and knew he wouldn't last, so at one point I had Williams, Torain, and Portis on my roster to see how it would shake out. Like predicted, Portis went down. Torain has done everything to take advantage of his opportunity.

No way am I looking to deal this guy. It's doubtful that Portis will even make it back this season, and if he does, it's doubtful that he'll be able to step in right away and handle half the carries. As for the fumbles last night, one of which he lost, he hasn't had an issue in the previous 3 weeks, so unless this becomes some sort of trend in the next few games, it's not an issue. He also has some nice matchups in the playoffs.

The only thing that worries me a little, is his previous injury history. But at this point, most Torain owners got this guy off the waivers or for next to nothing in a trade. He's in an offense with a coach that loves to run the ball. Most weeks he's going to continue to get 20+ touches a game. He's a gift. No way am I looking to deal this guy.

I'm hoping Torain tears it up this week against DET so I can sell him.

The problem is that he has a BYE the following week so it may be hard to get anyone to bite.

May be wise to go ahead and move him if you can get a comparable RB who has a nice schedule ahead.

I know the guy was a gift, but I'm ready to get off the train before the engine fails.

It's doubtful that Portis will even make it back this season
That seems like wishful thinking on your part. Most accounts are suggesting he should be back Week 10.
I hadn't read that anywhere. I did some reading on his injury and it didn't sound like the kind of thing that's easy to come back with at full strength in that short amount of time. It would make me a little nervous if he comes back, but not enough that I'd get rid of Torain unless I got something of real value for him.Portis already looked like he lost a step before the injury.

I guess now I know why we all can't feel really good about this guy. Injured again...Hamstring.

But at least some good news...MRI shows it wasn't a tear. :lmao:

In an interview on ESPN 980 this afternoon Shanahan said the Redskins would be less likely to look at the waiver wire for RB help and more likely to look at their own practice squad and their own players returning from injury. So both Portis and Torain are still in their plans.

In an interview on ESPN 980 this afternoon Shanahan said the Redskins would be less likely to look at the waiver wire for RB help and more likely to look at their own practice squad and their own players returning from injury. So both Portis and Torain are still in their plans.
That probably has more to do with the fact that the Skins added two RBs last week (Jeremiah Johnson & James Davis) than their confidence level in Torain/Portis.

Im trying to swap Torain and some scraps for a better RB, most people aren't biting.

Would you guys rather have Peyton Hillis over Torain?

Im trying to swap Torain and some scraps for a better RB, most people aren't biting. Would you guys rather have Peyton Hillis over Torain?
I'd rather have Hillis. A week ago I might have said otherwise...but now this injury and Portis coming back sooner than I thought...Hopefully his hamstring will be fine after the bye and he'll still get the bulk of the carries. I don't expect Portis to come back and suddenly take a majority of carries if Torain is healthy. But that's the big if.

That probably has more to do with the fact that the Skins added two RBs last week (Jeremiah Johnson & James Davis) than their confidence level in Torain/Portis.
They only added one -- Davis. The dropped Johnson to pick up Davis.

Im trying to swap Torain and some scraps for a better RB, most people aren't biting. Would you guys rather have Peyton Hillis over Torain?
Yep. Sorry - but the tweaking of the hammy to someone who has had multiple knee problems and has already been labelled as "injury prone" is not good. Right or wrong it hurts his value.

Who will be Torains backup if he is unavailable after the BYE?

Portis - I honestly don't expect him back

Keiland Williams - I can get him for Spiller but not sure if he will be the guy

James Davis - he is more like Torain and Shanny jumped on him the second he was available

From Rotoworld...

Ryan Torain (hamstring) participated in Redskins practice Wednesday.Coach Mike Shanahan revealed that Torain was "sore," but the fact that he was able to return to work two days after putting in a full practice Monday indicates that his health is no longer a big concern. We're tentatively expecting Torain to start Week 10 against the Eagles, with Keiland Williams playing on passing downs. Clinton Portis (groin) could return for Week 11.
According to Redskins coach Mike Shanahan, Clinton Portis (groin) "did more" in practice Wednesday than Ryan Torain (hamstring).We've learned not to trust what comes out of Shanahan's mouth, especially for injury-related situations, so take this with a grain of salt. Portis was perhaps used more because he's out of football shape and trying to get back on the field. We'll know more about Washington's backfield later this week.
This news seems to just further muddy the situation in Washington's backfield. My gut tells me that Torain plays and Portis sits another week or two, but it's a situation worth monitoring throughout the week.

any thurs. practice info? if portis and torain are out, that leaves k williams vs. philly. does he all of sudden become an every down back?

Keiland Williams is the play
why? if torain practiced fully and gets a 2:1 touches ratio + GL over williams. do you have more info on torain's injury because i do think williams is the play IF torain is out.

Full practice today for Torain according to rotoworld.
:sleep: Not anymore:Updating a previous item, Ryan Torain is officially listed as a limited participant in Thursday's practice.

Torain still did more work Thursday than he did on Wednesday, and he felt fine afterward. Coach Mike Shanahan isn't prepared to make a decision on his starting tailback until the practice week is over.

Crappy news for those thinking about starting Torain.... like me...

From Roto

Ryan O'Halloran of CSN Washington believes that Clinton Portis (groin) will play Monday night against the Eagles.

O'Halloran admits it's "just a gut call," but bases the prediction on Portis' body language at team headquarters Friday. If Portis plays, it's going to make an already banged-up Ryan Torain (hamstring) an even less desirable fantasy option. At this point, it's looking like a situation to avoid in all leagues. Nov. 12 - 1:54 pm et

Source: Ryan O'Halloran on Twitter

Edited to add: from roto

CBS, FWIW, came out with the following...

Torain looking good for Week 10

Ryan Torain, RB WAS

News: Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said Friday that RB Ryan Torain (hamstring) "did well" on Friday in practice. Washington hosts Philadelphia in Week 10.

Analysis: We'll continue to monitor Torain's status heading into Monday's game, but we expect him to start as long as he's able to practice again on Saturday. If healthy, consider Torain a low-end No. 2/high-end No. 3 Fantasy RB for his matchup with the Eagles, who are No. 12 in run defense at 104 yards per game allowed with six touchdowns. In their Week 4 meeting in Philadelphia, Torain carried the ball 18 times for 70 yards and a touchdown.

FRom NFL.com - Today

News: Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said Friday that RB Ryan Torain (hamstring) "did well" on Friday in practice. Washington hosts Philadelphia in Week 10.

Analysis: We'll continue to monitor Torain's status heading into Monday's game, but we expect him to start as long as he's able to practice again on Saturday. If healthy, consider Torain a low-end No. 2/high-end No. 3 Fantasy RB for his matchup with the Eagles, who are No. 12 in run defense at 104 yards per game allowed with six touchdowns. In their Week 4 meeting in Philadelphia, Torain carried the ball 18 times for 70 yards and a touchdown.

News: Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said Friday that RB Clinton Portis (groin) is sore and only got a little bit of work in at practice. "He's biting at the bit, but we've got to be smart," said Shanahan, who declined to comment on Portis' chances of playing Monday night.

Analysis: With this game being on a Monday night and the fact that Ryan Torain is looking better and better, Fantasy owners should probably not risk starting Portis in Week 10 against the Eagles. Our advice would be to continue to stash Portis on your roster in case he gets an opportunity to be the starter again later this year, but there's no guarantee that will happen.

Users who are viewing this thread