What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Possible HUGE West Coast Shipping Issue/Strike (1 Viewer)

Anyone else following this? I'm really surprised it's not on the nightly news already. Long story short, if they strike, it could cost the economy around $2 BILLION each day......YAY!!!!

I was reading that on average, these dockworkers make around $140k a year. If you are a foreman, you are looking at $200k to $300k a year. Gotta love unions....

http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com/2014/06/26/west-coast-dockworkers-strike-would-cost-the-economy-billions/
It is nice that people can make that much money, isn't it?

Following quite closely. I have an LA and a NJ warehouse and have already scheduled everything that I have coming in through July/August through NJ.

If I was Canada I'd be doing everything in my power to ramp up Vancouver/PRI as a viable replacement. Canadian trucking just had a similar issue as well though.

For micro land bridging, Manzanillo/Lazaro Cardenas is a decent option becuase you can use Kansas souther to haul by rail. You;ve got customs issues there though and everything is going to add lead time.

Anyone else following this? I'm really surprised it's not on the nightly news already. Long story short, if they strike, it could cost the economy around $2 BILLION each day......YAY!!!!

I was reading that on average, these dockworkers make around $140k a year. If you are a foreman, you are looking at $200k to $300k a year. Gotta love unions....

http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com/2014/06/26/west-coast-dockworkers-strike-would-cost-the-economy-billions/
Looks like I should move to the west coast and become a dockworker.

Pretty crazy too that a lot of these workers only have high school educations.

Yeah, but it might be 15 years before you can get there. These guys have a royal problem with automation eliminating jobs (even moreso than your $15 an hour McDonalds employee) and guys who are in don't want to retire. The 140K number is full-time workers that have enough seniority to pull in over-time. Just starting out, you may get 15 bucks an hour for 25 hours a week.

This has been on the radar where I work for several months and we pulled in as much inventory as we could to avoid any problems. One of the biggest issues is that the healthcare benefit the dockworkers receive qualifies as a Cadillac plan. Their employers will have to pay a 40% penalty per employee. The average dockworker receives healthcare benefits of $27K (family plan), so the penalty will be almost $11K/worker. The union is trying to get an exemption from the penalty. If not, that cost needs to be passed on to the workers.

This has been on the radar where I work for several months and we pulled in as much inventory as we could to avoid any problems. One of the biggest issues is that the healthcare benefit the dockworkers receive qualifies as a Cadillac plan. Their employers will have to pay a 40% penalty per employee. The average dockworker receives healthcare benefits of $27K (family plan), so the penalty will be almost $11K/worker. The union is trying to get an exemption from the penalty. If not, that cost needs to be passed on to the workers.
Which is kinda funny in the context that unions are one of the alrger Democrat supporters.

Personally, I've covered my backside as well as I can and have east coast distribution established. I'd like to see the union take a bath on automation this go-around because automation's the biggest tool in reducing dock times.

KCitons said:
Thunderlips said:
eoMMan said:

You need to have some serious connections to get those jobs.

eoMMan said:

Wait, Union Workers making up to about $25k a month? Remind me why they're striking again?

Here's what I don't understand - someone is making 140K working OT and more on a dock(not a huge amount by SF and NJ standards of living) - and we complain and ##### to no end about the education they have(or lack of) and the "union" - yet some guy is making millions if not more by having a computer algorithm shave a few micro pennies off a stock trade because of his "high speed location" and never lifting a finger - and we defend them to end.

Here's what I don't understand - someone is making 140K working OT and more on a dock(not a huge amount by SF and NJ standards of living) - and we complain and ##### to no end about the education they have(or lack of) and the "union" - yet some guy is making millions if not more by having a computer algorithm shave a few micro pennies off a stock trade because of his "high speed location" and never lifting a finger - and we defend them to end.
So what union do you belong to?

I'm not defending either...

KCitons said:
Thunderlips said:
eoMMan said:

You need to have some serious connections to get those jobs.
connections?

"and the only have high school educations"

:lmao:
Great reply!

Here is the president of the ILWU (International Longshore and Warehouse Union):

http://www.ilwu.org/about/officers/robert-mcellrath-international-president/

"Robert McEllrath started working on the docks at the Port of Vancouver, Washington in 1969 after he finished high school. Within years, his co-workers were electing him to a variety of positions at Local 4, including their Executive Board, Dispatcher and Labor Relations Committee."

Great reply!

Here is the president of the ILWU (International Longshore and Warehouse Union):

"Robert McEllrath started working on the docks at the Port of Vancouver, Washington in 1969 after he finished high school. Within years, his co-workers were electing him to a variety of positions at Local 4, including their Executive Board, Dispatcher and Labor Relations Committee."
I have 0 idea what you are trying to say here. He's an example of why college isn't best for everyone and illustrates why we should emphasis vocational training? A person without an advanced degree can't be qualified no matter how much on the job training they have?

A skilled longshoreman is highly valuable. It's also a very dangerous place. I'm not much of a union supporter, but this is the wrong one to go after. Making 100K a year while working 60 hour weeks and having to wait ten years for the opportunity? Sounds like it'd be easier to be a teacher.

Great reply!Here is the president of the ILWU (International Longshore and Warehouse Union):

how about someone today paying 100k+ for a liberal arts degree and pulling in 30k?

Last edited by a moderator:

Great reply!

What does "within years" mean? Within years, the earth went from a flaming ball of uninhabitable mush to a vibrant planet full of life.

So the only way this gets resolved is for the fed to give them an exemption?

It always amazes me how much people resent middle class blue collar jobs that pay well.
Is it because there are less and less of them. The class below is attempting to take from them. And the class above is wanting to add to their profits by cutting their pay.

I'm not happy with the evolution of Unions in this country. But, when faced with the alternative of every company treating its employees like Walmart, I tend to side with Unions.

Great reply!

What does "within years" mean? Within years, the earth went from a flaming ball of uninhabitable mush to a vibrant planet full of life.
Wrong bucco -that took only 6 days

It always amazes me how much people resent middle class blue collar jobs that pay well.
Is it because there are less and less of them. The class below is attempting to take from them. And the class above is wanting to add to their profits by cutting their pay.

I'm not happy with the evolution of Unions in this country. But, when faced with the alternative of every company treating its employees like Walmart, I tend to side with Unions.
I've never belonged to a union, but it's very clear to me that the only thing that keeps many well paying middle class jobs is unions. And if that means my garbage man makes more money than people like, more power to them.

I had to deal with a similar issue to this on a BK back in the melt down. The union at a major parts manufacturer for the auto industry would not back off the no co-pay. It actually killed the deal we had in place with the creditor's committee. We are talking a $40 co-pay that would save millions on the policy (the C-suite all paid the 40 co-pay as did every other non-union position). Unions are a cancer.

I've never belonged to a union, but it's very clear to me that the only thing that keeps many well paying middle class jobs is unions. And if that means my garbage man makes more money than people like, more power to them.
It's the fact that their "little" employment negotiation affects the whole country that bothers me. That's the problem with unions. They essentially have the employer by the balls and when they strike, it will hurt not only the employer but the entire country.

And yes, to probably about 99% of America, these guys have it GOOD. $140k a year is a lot of money anywhere in the country. They really have no room to complain about wages, benefits, etc.

It's the fact that their "little" employment negotiation affects the whole country that bothers me. That's the problem with unions. They essentially have the employer by the balls and when they strike, it will hurt not only the employer but the entire country.

And yes, to probably about 99% of America, these guys have it GOOD. $140k a year is a lot of money anywhere in the country. They really have no room to complain about wages, benefits, etc.
Their jobs are more important than most of ours. Their jobs are tougher than most of ours. Entry to their field is tougher than most of our fields.

eoMMan said:

Average dock worker salary in California

Based on the bolded, they should be happy staying exactly where they are? Some of the Union battles are created when companies try to reduced benefits and wages.

eoMMan said:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/23/billions-at-risk-as-west-coast-port-contract-ends/

The union's total control over the labor pool means huge bargaining leverage, which negotiators have parlayed into white-collar wages and perks for blue-collar work. A full-time longshoreman earns about $130,000 a year, while foremen earn about $210,000, according to employer data. Workers pay nearly nothing for health coverage that includes no premiums and $1 prescriptions.

eoMMan said:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/23/billions-at-risk-as-west-coast-port-contract-ends/

The union's total control over the labor pool means huge bargaining leverage, which negotiators have parlayed into white-collar wages and perks for blue-collar work. A full-time longshoreman earns about $130,000 a year, while foremen earn about $210,000, according to employer data. Workers pay nearly nothing for health coverage that includes no premiums and $1 prescriptions.
Interesting. Not sure what accounts for the disparity, since the article says the union in question has "total control over the labor pool."

eoMMan said:

Interesting. Not sure what accounts for the disparity, since the article says the union in question has "total control over the labor pool."
It's because it takes a male dock-worker about 10 years of dock work to become a unionized longshoreman. This isn't a nineteen year old just deciding to join the union.

Casual longshore workers are the grunts of the local waterfront. They lack union status and keep odd, inconsistent hours moving cargo vital to the economy of the western United States. A week or 10 days can pass before they get a chance to earn a full day's pay. Their hiring hall isn't a hall at all, but a parking lot next to an auto dismantling yard in Wilmington. Dead bodies are sometimes found nearby, and bullet holes dot the dispatcher's small office. If you don't move fast enough in line when the day's work is parceled out, or you fumble your ID card at the dispatch window, too bad. You've "flopped." Come back next week.

The dispatcher just handed your precious chance to work eight hours to the next person in line. Longshore workers in the ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles say the aggravation, hard work and personal sacrifice are worth it. Put in enough time as a casual and the brass ring will eventually come around--entry into Local 13 (Los Angeles) of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union and the prospect of landing what shipping industry officials call a "million-dollar job." "I don't regret one day of it," said Ramona M. Galindo of San Pedro, now a union member after seven years as a casual. "It really takes a considerable investment of your time. But that's just the dues you pay."

Today there are about 9,000 longshore workers in the ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles. About 5,200 are members of the union and attached to longshore, marine clerk and dock boss locals. The organized labor is supplemented by at least 3,600 casuals--a pool of part-timers that has emerged over the last decade as a reliable source of trained Dockers. Without them, cargo would have been stranded in the county's ports far longer than it was during the merger of the Southern Pacific and Union Pacific railroads in late 1997.

Last edited by a moderator:
eoMMan said:

It's because it takes a male dock-worker about 10 years of dock work to become a unionized longshoreman. This isn't a nineteen year old just deciding to join the union.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

Gawain said:
eoMMan said:
Yeah, but it might be 15 years before you can get there. These guys have a royal problem with automation eliminating jobs (even moreso than your $15 an hour McDonalds employee) and guys who are in don't want to retire. The 140K number is full-time workers that have enough seniority to pull in over-time. Just starting out, you may get 15 bucks an hour for 25 hours a week.
Yes, thanks for the context to counter the ridiculous implications that (a) all unions are evil and (b) it's deeply offensive when guys who perform manual labor, as opposed to (say) Mitt Romney-types, can make some decent money.

No, that's not the only option. Other options are to reduce the health care benefits so that the plan doesn't qualify as a Cadillac plan, or to pass the cost of the penalty on to the workers.

So did Bankers making millions gambling with our money and they got a bailout and were able to keep their million dollar bonuses - when the Administration tried to limit that all hell broke loose and everyone defended the bankers when they complained - Obama was called a commie or worse. They were truly in that 1% - not these dockworkers. 140K in LA barely buys a nice house near the dock areas and allows the family to send a kid to college - that is truly the American story and now the employers are getting people who hate someone making a bit more money doing the dirty work for them. Just like the bankers got the regular people to do the dirty work for them.

No, that's not the only option. Other options are to reduce the health care benefits so that the plan doesn't qualify as a Cadillac plan, or to pass the cost of the penalty on to the workers.
which of those two options are the Union likely to accept? Isn't that what they're threatening the strike over in the first place?

which of those two options are the Union likely to accept? Isn't that what they're threatening the strike over in the first place?
Exactly. I don't see them accepting either one.

eoMMan said:

Interesting that the article only mentions a strike...not a lockout similar to what PMA did in 2002.

Exactly. I don't see them accepting either one.
Agreed. If Obama grants them an exemption that will have huge political repercussions.

eoMMan said:
Any updates on this?
They can (and have in the past) work without a contract in place. There may be localized slowdowns, but a general strike wouldn't happen until late-July at the earliest.

If the worst happens, the Feds have to step in (as Bush did) to keep the ports open.

Users who are viewing this thread