What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post round 1 draft, stock up/down (1 Viewer)

2) Not sure what your point is regarding Lattimore, his situation certainly isn't the reason he hasn't played. Hunter was a 4th round pick, and LMJ hasn't panned out (along with being drafted into a worse situation with a younger Gore). Turbin was also a 4th rounder, and I don't recall too many people having really high hopes for him. The problem is more making sure that your talented players are actually talented- if so, they'll get a shot at some point.
This is a bit odd. On the one hand you're trumpeting the talent of a bunch of 3rd rounders as if they were top 10 overall picks that ended up in a bad situation. Then, on the other hand you're looking back at a bunch of 4th rounders and saying that they obviously didn't have much talent if they were drafted that late.

This isn't Jonathan Stewart being an obvious stud drafted into a bad situation here. The number of RBs drafted in the 3rd round and on that disappeared into obscurity without a hope of ever seeing significant time on the field is too long to list. I'm not saying that all these guys will be the same but some of the guys we're talking about here were drafted a whopping 10 picks earlier then the guys that you just said were drafted too late to have much talent/hope. You can't have it both ways.
The NFL is different now, the shift at RB has happened, its no longer a 1st round draftable spot, unless the talent is extremely off the charts.

The 3rd n 4th round guys have a better chance now to make an impact

David Wilson - Down

Andre Williams - Up
Isn't Wilson's best hope catching passes/balls in space at this point? And IIRC, Williams can't catch.
I like Williams but don't think guys selection changes my view on Jennings or Wilson.

Jennings is a short term fix and will carry the load.

Wilson is a hope he gets healthy and has spiller-like potential.

In a couple years, Williams and Wilson should be rbbc

David Wilson - Down

Andre Williams - Up
Isn't Wilson's best hope catching passes/balls in space at this point? And IIRC, Williams can't catch.
I like Williams but don't think guys selection changes my view on Jennings or Wilson.

Jennings is a short term fix and will carry the load.

Wilson is a hope he gets healthy and has spiller-like potential.

In a couple years, Williams and Wilson should be rbbc
Williams is more of a power back no? The idea that Williams plays in the Jacobs role with the other two being more in the Bradshw role?

2) Not sure what your point is regarding Lattimore, his situation certainly isn't the reason he hasn't played. Hunter was a 4th round pick, and LMJ hasn't panned out (along with being drafted into a worse situation with a younger Gore). Turbin was also a 4th rounder, and I don't recall too many people having really high hopes for him. The problem is more making sure that your talented players are actually talented- if so, they'll get a shot at some point.
This is a bit odd. On the one hand you're trumpeting the talent of a bunch of 3rd rounders as if they were top 10 overall picks that ended up in a bad situation. Then, on the other hand you're looking back at a bunch of 4th rounders and saying that they obviously didn't have much talent if they were drafted that late.

This isn't Jonathan Stewart being an obvious stud drafted into a bad situation here. The number of RBs drafted in the 3rd round and on that disappeared into obscurity without a hope of ever seeing significant time on the field is too long to list. I'm not saying that all these guys will be the same but some of the guys we're talking about here were drafted a whopping 10 picks earlier then the guys that you just said were drafted too late to have much talent/hope. You can't have it both ways.
The NFL is different now, the shift at RB has happened, its no longer a 1st round draftable spot, unless the talent is extremely off the charts.

We're not talking about guys drafted 20 years apart here. Robert Turbin was drafted 2 years ago.

This thread reminds me of a teenage girl who just met the boy of her dreams. :wub:

I'd love to revisit this thread in 3 years.

We're not talking about guys drafted 20 years apart here. Robert Turbin was drafted 2 years ago.
Yes, during the last draft where a RB was selected in the 1st round (3 of them). Things certainly seem to have changed, although that wasn't the point of my earlier post.

Actually bump Patriots backfield, Ravens and Montee Ball

Never mind on the Pats

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how in this thread every pick even in these mid to late rounds seemingly sends every incumbent down. Lots of these players at this stage are depth moves and nothing more.

I like how in this thread every pick even in these mid to late rounds seemingly sends every incumbent down. Lots of these players at this stage are depth moves and nothing more.
I agree, but with teams waiting so long on RB's the 4th isn't what it used to be.

Good timing, was just going to post this. Silly.
I know, it's laughable.
I think it's funny that you guys think teams draft players not to play.

I know, it's laughable.
A team can only put 11 players on the field at a time, and they already have multiple incumbent players at every position, it's literally impossible for all these guys to play.

I know, it's laughable.
It wasn't laughable last year when Stacy beat out Richardson and Ellington beat out Mendenhall.
Gio, Tate, Stacy, Jennings all have a better body of work than those two. Really though just needs to be some moderation in evaluations here, eveything doesn't have to be terrible or awesome.

I know, it's laughable.
It wasn't laughable last year when Stacy beat out Richardson and Ellington beat out Mendenhall.
Jonathan Franklin, Denard Robinson, Joseph Randle, Chris Thompson, Mike Gillisie, etc. etc., the list of late picks that don't touch the field is a lot longer than the list of those that do.

And I get what you're saying, it's definitely valuable to try and recognize late round players who are talented and in good positions, I loved Ellington last year and I love Freeman this year, but it's important to acknowledge not every late round pick is going to challenge the incumbents and provide such value, in fact it'll be very rare.

From the first round to the fifth round, overrated is the impact these rookies have on established players.

Stock still up on AJ Jenkins. KC took no WR through 4 rounds and doesn't pick again until 23rd of 5th. But the two guys mentioned below could change that still.

Stock up on WR free agents Santonio Holmes and Miles Austin, one of whom may be starting in CLE (no WR taken by them through 4 rounds and they don't pick again until the 7th) or in KC (see above)

From the first round to the fifth round, overrated is the impact these rookies have on established players.
I'm sure drafting Watkins had nothing to do with Stevie Johnson getting traded. No impact on the vets.

I'm pretty sure no one put a "Down" on AP after Jerick McKinnon was drafted. Same as JC with the Thomas pick. There's no "slight" "major" etc. in front of the UP/Down for the most part. So, when a team drafts a player of the same position there's going to be added competition for the vets. Regardless of how things shake out in the future, at this point having to fight off another player isn't a good thing for the vet.

I know, it's laughable.
A team can only put 11 players on the field at a time, and they already have multiple incumbent players at every position, it's literally impossible for all these guys to play.
Teams also don't play the same 11 players every play.

I agree, but with teams waiting so long on RB's the 4th isn't what it used to be.
Exactly. A 4th rd RB is what used to be a 2nd rounder.
No, a 4th round RB is still a 4th round RB. There's no RB's being taken early this year because none exhibit elite traits that would lead them to be drafted early. The RB position has been devalued, but not nearly to the extent that this weak draft class is leading people to believe. These guys drafted in the 4th are just as much long shots to make any form of an impact as the 4th rounders were 10 years ago.

Things like "if the Texans don't take a RB soon, Foster is golden" are just silly statements. Foster's value (and Andre Brown for that matter) isn't impacted in the least if the Texans grab a RB in the 4th. Is someone like Ben Tate's value impacted by the addition of West at the end of the 3rd? Sure, if he sucks it is. But if he plays up to the potential he has when he was drafted as a 2nd rounder, then West will remain a backup. There's always going to be competition, but the cream rises to the top. That cream typically aren't the 8th to 12th RB's drafted in any particular year during the 4th round.

Exactly. A 4th rd RB is what used to be a 2nd rounder.
No, a 4th round RB is still a 4th round RB. There's no RB's being taken early this year because none exhibit elite traits that would lead them to be drafted early. The RB position has been devalued, but not nearly to the extent that this weak draft class is leading people to believe. These guys drafted in the 4th are just as much long shots to make any form of an impact as the 4th rounders were 10 years ago.

Things like "if the Texans don't take a RB soon, Foster is golden" are just silly statements. Foster's value (and Andre Brown for that matter) isn't impacted in the least if the Texans grab a RB in the 4th. Is someone like Ben Tate's value impacted by the addition of West at the end of the 3rd? Sure, if he sucks it is. But if he plays up to the potential he has when he was drafted as a 2nd rounder, then West will remain a backup. There's always going to be competition, but the cream rises to the top. That cream typically aren't the 8th to 12th RB's drafted in any particular year during the 4th round.
Say what? Hyde would have been a 1st rounder 10 years ago easily.

here are some previous 1st round RBs that would not be today:

Cadillac Williams

Laurence Maroney

Joseph Addai

Felix Jones

Knowsho Moreno - Bishop Sankey smokes this guys college stats.

Jahvid Best

I can go on and on. It's a different game of drafting now.

Users who are viewing this thread