What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Prince Fielder watch..where does he go now? (1 Viewer)

Da Guru

Fair & Balanced
Just looking at Fielders age and numbers. Becoming an UFA with those kinds of numbers at 26 years of age is pretty rare.

What will The Prince sign for in years and cash? Will he go for a 3-4 big money deal and be able to be an UFA again at 30? Or is he looking for a 10 year Albert like contract?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would expect to see a deal with either Florida, St. louis or even Washington for 8-10 years for roughly 22-25 million per year.

Doubt St Louis signs him (although I would love to have him in St Louis now that #5 is gone). Heck, he may stay in Milwaukee...why not? They have a strong core group - if they keep him there is no reason to think they wouldn't dominate the division...but do they have the money to afford that pitching staff, the deals they already cut with their other players, AND resign Fielder for what he deserves? They better hope Miller Lite sales spike to be able to afford all that.

Someone please explain this to me. Why does the Pujols signing have any effect on Fielder's contract? How does it give him more leverage in negotiations? I often read how a signing "sets the market" for other players. If one team overpays then everyone should do it? I don't understand. Fielder's value is the same regardless of what anyone else signs for.

Someone please explain this to me. Why does the Pujols signing have any effect on Fielder's contract? How does it give him more leverage in negotiations? I often read how a signing "sets the market" for other players. If one team overpays then everyone should do it? I don't understand. Fielder's value is the same regardless of what anyone else signs for.
This isn't a typical market from Econ class. There is a very limited number of potential buyers that was reduced by one when Pujols signed. If anything, you'd think it would slightly diminish Fielder's value. I don't think Pujols' number set the market; everyone still expects Fielder will sign for less money. The press and fans will compare Fielder with Pujols, Teixeira, Gonzalez, etc. but in reality Fielder's contract will depend more on spot demand and the finances of a small number of interested teams.

rumor has it the cubs have shifted their plans based on the new CBA or whatever its called. something about not being able to pay more for talent through the draft.

I also would love to see him in St. Louis now that Pujols is gone, but I don't think they will spend the money on him. I think the Nationals would be a good fit, but we haven't heard anything from them over the winter meetings. I am not sure why Miami isn't going for him, since they didn't get Pujols. Prince will probably be cheaper. I heard on MLB network they thought Toronto would go for him. I haven't heard any rumors about them either.

I predict 8 years and $190 million for Prince.

The Cards would be a great fit, and they could save 100 million or more with close to the same production and a much younger player.

The Cards would be a great fit, and they could save 100 million or more with close to the same production and a much younger player.
With Boras being his agent, I think he will try to get a deal that is not far from Pujols' in years and $$. Boras has been waiting for Pujols to sign so he can set the market. Boras is licking his chops about how much he can add to his stock portfolio on a Fielder deal.

The thing is: Fielder is not pujols. THe marlins have already stated that they are not interested (Pujols and the hispanic community down here made him more valuable than fielder being non hispanic).

I think he sees something like 6 and 115 from a team in the NL.

rumor has it the cubs have shifted their plans based on the new CBA or whatever its called. something about not being able to pay more for talent through the draft.
There is some truth to this. The CBA will limit the bonuses available for the draft and young international free agents. The question is how much money Ricketts is providing for payroll overall including those bonuses. We don't have a great read on how much is available to Theo. My gut feeling is that the Cubs will do something big if the opportunity presents itself. Such an opportunity would be Fielder for 6 years or less and I think the Cubs would be willing to break 20+ per for that length. If the bidding approaches 8 years, I see the Cubs backing off just like Pujols.

With Boras being his agent, I think he will try to get a deal that is not far from Pujols' in years and $$. Boras has been waiting for Pujols to sign so he can set the market. Boras is licking his chops about how much he can add to his stock portfolio on a Fielder deal.
Will be interesting to see how much higher he goes after Pujols set the market.

He turned down 5/100 million from the Brewers. I think the most he will get from a National league team is 6/7 years in the 150 million range. If an American league team goes for him that will be in the 10/220 range or so. I'm not sure he will be signing anytime soon though with anybody. Mid-January is when I see him signing somewhere.

Do the Tigers have a shot here? It would be kinda cool if they got him saying that his ol' man played for the kitties.

I've heard some comments from Prince regarding Cecil. I don't think he wants anything to do with following in dear ol Dad's footsteps.
what's the story behind the two of them?
Cecil Fielder gambled away millions of dollars while married to Prince Fielder’s mother, went through a very difficult divorce, and allegedly took $200,000 of an 18-year-old Prince’s signing bonus from the Brewers.

Just stumbled on this stat about Cecil Fielder.

In 1992, Fielder avoided salary arbitration by agreeing to a 1-year, $4.5 million dollar contract, which at the time set a record for highest salary by an arbitration-eligible player. In 1993, Fielder signed a 5-year, $36 million dollar contract with the Tigers; which made him the highest paid player in baseball for 2 seasons (1995 and 1996) [2].

Times have changed.

He turned down 5/100 million from the Brewers. I think the most he will get from a National league team is 6/7 years in the 150 million range. If an American league team goes for him that will be in the 10/220 range or so. I'm not sure he will be signing anytime soon though with anybody. Mid-January is when I see him signing somewhere.
I think the serious negotiations for Fielder will get started after we learn who won the Yu Darvish bidding this afternoon

cubs apparently are "not major players" for fielder. doubt it.
Puzzled by this..seems like he would be a perfect fit for Wrigley. Thought Baltimore was going to make a play here.
It has been hard to read the Cubs this offseason but I don't see them extending to 8 years for Fielder. If the market settles at 6 years, the Cubs might be the favorite to land him.
Six years and Prince could be an UFA again at the same age Albert is now.

'Da Guru said:
'boubucarow said:
'Da Guru said:
'boom king said:
Puzzled by this..seems like he would be a perfect fit for Wrigley. Thought Baltimore was going to make a play here.
It has been hard to read the Cubs this offseason but I don't see them extending to 8 years for Fielder. If the market settles at 6 years, the Cubs might be the favorite to land him.
You're not good at arithmetic.José Alberto Pujols Alcántara (born January 16, 1980)Prince Cecil Fielder (born May 9, 1984)

'boom king said:
cubs apparently are "not major players" for fielder.

doubt it.
not sure what you meant or where you got it but I don't think it is correct - the only thing stopping Theo & crew from signing Fielder might be waiting to see if they won the rights to Darvish

'Da Guru said:
'boubucarow said:
'Da Guru said:
'boom king said:
You're not good at arithmetic.José Alberto Pujols Alcántara (born January 16, 1980)Prince Cecil Fielder (born May 9, 1984)
Rumors have been flying since the end of last season that Albert is a couple of years older than he claims. But you are correct..my arithmetic is bad.

So what is Prince and Boras waiting on now? Shouldn't the market be set for him?
I've heard that maybe Boras is such a stubborn ##### that he's holding things up since he wants a longer contract than what anyone wants to give.I don't blame teams for being hesitant about the fat, bloated sack. Give him an 8 year guaranteed 180 million and get screwed because he's going to be dealing with injuries within the next couple years because of his weight. I hope I'm wrong because I like the kid but he's not built to last.

So what is Prince and Boras waiting on now? Shouldn't the market be set for him?
I've heard that maybe Boras is such a stubborn ##### that he's holding things up since he wants a longer contract than what anyone wants to give.I don't blame teams for being hesitant about the fat, bloated sack. Give him an 8 year guaranteed 180 million and get screwed because he's going to be dealing with injuries within the next couple years because of his weight. I hope I'm wrong because I like the kid but he's not built to last.
I can't help but remember the rapid decline of Mo Vaughn.

Bob Nightengale tweeted that he's meeting with the Rangers in a Dallas hotel today.
DIH
Sorry, Heyman now just tweeted that he's visiting a number of teams in the next few days.
:ptts:
To be honest, I don't think the Rangers would sign both Darvish and Fielder, and I think they are more likely to sign Darvish. I can see this meeting being a smoke screen to help the Rangers in the Darvish talks, and helping Fielder with the other teams of interest.

Users who are viewing this thread