What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Prince Fielder watch..where does he go now? (1 Viewer)

Yankees. DH spot open. Very Yankee thing to do.
I dunno. My best guess is that they wait another year on that and try to find a guy like David Wright to play 3B, easing an aging contract like ARod into the DH role.

So, if Texas and Washington can keep from bidding against each other, would Fielder take a shorter contract to try and get the right market 3 years from now?

Really strange how this is all playing out for him.

So, if Texas and Washington can keep from bidding against each other, would Fielder take a shorter contract to try and get the right market 3 years from now?Really strange how this is all playing out for him.
Guess I was a bit late with this.

They definitely won't regret that signing...
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:Ok Toronto guy. Cabrera LF, they'll make it work. :thumbup:
It'll be great for the next couple years... then a complete embarrassment. I, for one, would like to thank the Tigers for doing this and not allowing Toronto to over spend on the tubby fella.
This was an unreal signing for the Tigers! One of the premier power hitters and RBI men in MLB who is only 27 years of age and coming into his prime years. I am beyond shocked..never thought it could happen.

It'll be great for the next couple years... then a complete embarrassment. I, for one, would like to thank the Tigers for doing this and not allowing Toronto to over spend on the tubby fella.
Its certainly possible that the last 2 or so years in the deal won't be that great for the Tigers.But at that point, I'll probably be too drunk from the 5 world series championships to really notice.

And Detroit says, you're welcome.
:goodposting: :goodposting:
Toronto fans can :hophead: whatever they want, not gonna ruin my mood.

And Detroit says, you're welcome.
:goodposting: :goodposting:
Toronto fans can :hophead: whatever they want, not gonna ruin my mood.
The Tigers window is in the new few years with Miggy and Verlander in their prime. The goal is to win it all and if there is a chance to win it you take it. With a bat this game-changing, I don't give a #### about 8 years from now. Ten years of having a nice payroll and respectable seasons without a title or three years of being a force and winning one or two? Sign me up. Line-up is going to be flat out sick when Victor gets back.

Its certainly possible that the last 2 or so years in the deal won't be that great for the Tigers.But at that point, I'll probably be too drunk from the 5 world series championships to really notice.
Could be more than 2 years that it won't be that great.Still, a nine year deal for a 27 year old doesn't have nearly as much disaster potential as a 10 year deal for a 32 year old, no matter what your eyes tell you about their respective body types. I can't believe he got that deal- Fangraphs crowdsourcing consensus was 7 years, $136 million- but he's young and there's always the DH spot, so it's hard to see it becoming a complete disaster for a while. An NL team signing him to that kind of deal would have been a lot more worrisome.

Could be more than 2 years that it won't be that great.

Still, a nine year deal for a 27 year old doesn't have nearly as much disaster potential as a 10 year deal for a 32 year old, no matter what your eyes tell you about their respective body types. I can't believe he got that deal- Fangraphs crowdsourcing consensus was 7 years, $136 million- but he's young and there's always the DH spot, so it's hard to see it becoming a complete disaster for a while. An NL team signing him to that kind of deal would have been a lot more worrisome.
$19MM AAV? That was never going to happen.

Last edited:

Still, a nine year deal for a 27 year old doesn't have nearly as much disaster potential as a 10 year deal for a 32 year old, no matter what your eyes tell you about their respective body types. I can't believe he got that deal- Fangraphs crowdsourcing consensus was 7 years, $136 million- but he's young and there's always the DH spot, so it's hard to see it becoming a complete disaster for a while. An NL team signing him to that kind of deal would have been a lot more worrisome.
$18MM AAV? That was never going to happen.
Yeah it looked weird to me too. I was guessing 6/145 or something. The nine years is way more shocking than the AAV.

Yeah it looked weird to me too. I was guessing 6/145 or something. The nine years is way more shocking than the AAV.
He's young. His skills shouldn't get a lot worse as he gets older and fatter. He's a premium player that you can get without giving up prospects (just the compensatory draft picks). And I thought he was looking for a 10-year deal. So all in all, I'm not too shocked at the years. But he did max out the AAV.

He's young. His skills shouldn't get a lot worse as he gets older and fatter. He's a premium player that you can get without giving up prospects (just the compensatory draft picks). And I thought he was looking for a 10-year deal. So all in all, I'm not too shocked at the years. But he did max out the AAV.
I don't know why you say this. The list of similar players who dropped off in their early 30s is pretty long, and it starts with his dad.

I don't know why you say this. The list of similar players who dropped off in their early 30s is pretty long, and it starts with his dad.
Huh. Turns out because I was wrong.I was thinking of stuff like this that showed older peak ages for slugger skills such as walk rate and HRs.

The Results

I used the data to look at several different aspects of player performance from the general to the specific. Overall, I found that both hitters and pitchers peaked around age 29. However, some skills peaked earlier and others peaked later.

Peak Age by Skill

Hitters Pitchers

Metric Peak Age Metric Peak Age

Linear Weights 29.4 ERA 29.2

OBP 30.0 Strikeout Rate 23.6

SLG 28.6 Walk Rate 32.5

AVG 28.4 Home Run Rate 27.4

Walk Rate 32.3

2B+3B Rate 28.3

Home Run Rate 29.9

The table reveals that player skills peak at different times, often quite far apart from each other. Hitters peak in batting and slugging average at 28 while continuing to improve in their home-run hitting and walking abilities until 30 and 32, respectively.
But apparently young players who have old player skills tend to age more dramatically. Learn something new every day.

They are projecting his slugging to be .504 this year and think VMART has played his last game in Detroit. That article is only good if you think Fielder is going to regress immediately, which makes it far-fetched. Fielder has had two seasons where he slugged north of .600, was .566 last year and is .540 for his career. Comerica will take a few HRs away from Fielder but he'll just get more doubles. Tigers overpaid, no doubt. But this article is suggesting Fielder is going to be the next Bobby Bonilla which is doubtful given his work ethic and the fact you can't project home slugging stats for a guy who hasn't played a home game at Comerica.

:blackdot: for 2014 when Fielder is on the DL, the Tigers are playing to a half-empty stadium, and the owner is desperately seeking to find someone to take Fielder's contract off his hands.

:blackdot: for 2014 when Fielder is on the DL, the Tigers are playing to a half-empty stadium, and the owner is desperately seeking to find someone to take Fielder's contract off his hands.
:fishing:Tigers have Fister, Scherzer, Verlander, Turner, Crosby, Boesch and Cabrera all under contract in 2014. Shark Pool is one forum over.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are projecting his slugging to be .504 this year and think VMART has played his last game in Detroit. That article is only good if you think Fielder is going to regress immediately, which makes it far-fetched. Fielder has had two seasons where he slugged north of .600, was .566 last year and is .540 for his career. Comerica will take a few HRs away from Fielder but he'll just get more doubles. Tigers overpaid, no doubt. But this article is suggesting Fielder is going to be the next Bobby Bonilla which is doubtful given his work ethic and the fact you can't project home slugging stats for a guy who hasn't played a home game at Comerica.
Like I've said before, I don't think this deal has nearly as much potential for disaster as the Pujols deal. But how do the Tigers handle all three guys in the lineup if Martinez returns? If they're actually gonna try to play Cabrera at 3B you have to factor a huge downgrade defensively at that position into the math.

Like I've said before, I don't think this deal has nearly as much potential for disaster as the Pujols deal. But how do the Tigers handle all three guys in the lineup if Martinez returns? If they're actually gonna try to play Cabrera at 3B you have to factor a huge downgrade defensively at that position into the math.
I really don't think Cabrera lasts at 3B unless he comes in about 25 pounds lighter. Not sure why they just don't project him as a platoon LF this year, and full-time guy in 2013. LF is the easiest position to play and Cabrera is actually a good athlete so I think he'd be fine out there. One of the biggest issues with putting him at 3B is it really limits you with defensive substitutions in crunch time and you can't take Cabrera out of the game unless you are up six or seven. I mean Manny Ramirez played LF for several years and there have been guys out there that have to be worse than Cabrera would be. Don't you think?

I really don't think Cabrera lasts at 3B unless he comes in about 25 pounds lighter. Not sure why they just don't project him as a platoon LF this year, and full-time guy in 2013. LF is the easiest position to play and Cabrera is actually a good athlete so I think he'd be fine out there. One of the biggest issues with putting him at 3B is it really limits you with defensive substitutions in crunch time and you can't take Cabrera out of the game unless you are up six or seven. I mean Manny Ramirez played LF for several years and there have been guys out there that have to be worse than Cabrera would be. Don't you think?
Yeah I don't see how 3B works for him if he had to move off it 4 years and many pounds ago.Without having seen much of Cabrera- I just don't watch a lot of AL ball- LF makes sense I guess. Certainly it's the easiest place to hide a huge bat that's also a defensive liability. Of course this isn't really an issue until 2013 anyway, and who knows what might happen between now and then, especially when you're talking about a recovery from an ACL tear. I know it hasn't been long since the Fielder news broke, but do know if the plan to use one of them as the DH this year? That obviously makes the most sense, but young stars like Cabrera and Fielder often aren't very receptive to DH-ing full time.

Yeah I don't see how 3B works for him if he had to move off it 4 years and many pounds ago.Without having seen much of Cabrera- I just don't watch a lot of AL ball- LF makes sense I guess. Certainly it's the easiest place to hide a huge bat that's also a defensive liability. Of course this isn't really an issue until 2013 anyway, and who knows what might happen between now and then, especially when you're talking about a recovery from an ACL tear. I know it hasn't been long since the Fielder news broke, but do know if the plan to use one of them as the DH this year? That obviously makes the most sense, but young stars like Cabrera and Fielder often aren't very receptive to DH-ing full time.
I think at least half the games will have the DH spot filled by Cabrera or Fielder.

Don't want to copy long posts but since several have brought it up

Already announced for Tigers - Fielder is at 1B and Cabrera is the DH

Again as said earlier, no problems this year

Let's see VMart get back next year and see what uniform he is wearing before we start deducting runs for Miggy's defense in LF or 3B

Already announced for Tigers - Fielder is at 1B and Cabrera is the DH
In the field, it's more delicate. Cabrera calls third base his "natural position," the spot he manned for his final two-plus seasons with the Marlins. He manned it for his first month as a Tiger in 2008 before Detroit moved him to first base, and he grew excited at the prospect of moving back there on a short-term basis had the Tigers advanced to the World Series last year.With Fielder now on board, Cabrera says he's moving back.The Tigers have said for four years that they believe Cabrera can be a very good first baseman, and he's vastly better now than he was in 2008. But they also would've had a hard time selling Prince Fielder on the idea of becoming a full-time designated hitter after seven seasons as a strong first baseman.A source close to Cabrera told MLB.com that Tigers officials approached Cabrera when he was in town last week to get his thoughts on Fielder as an option, and Cabrera told them he was on board with it. The idea, according to the source, was to give Cabrera time at third base, as well as DH, and some time at first.Cabrera, meanwhile, gave the impression to Venezuelan media, including reporter Marfa Mata and the newspaper Lieder in Deportes, that he would be the third baseman.

Also the Tigers were criticized for the Magglio Ordonez six year deal and to a lesser extent, the Pudge deal. Big picture those two trades were key in turning a horrible franchise around. No way this will ever be considered a great deal, but I don't think it will ever be considered horrible either if Fielder stays healthy (especially over the first six or so years of the deal).

Funny to read a column by a Rangers homer/columnist on the Fielder signing.

Ilitch Slammin!

It's a typical response, and I'm very sure there are a lot of Rangers fans and fans of other teams saying they're glad they didn't pay that for Prince. And I know why they say it too....because their team didn't end up with Prince.

Honestly, how many Rangers fans wouldn't have been perfectly fine with that contract for Fielder signing with Texas? They'd be all :excited: like Tiger fans are because their management was "committed to winning". And no one would really care about the money because....it's not their money!

It's funny. This article touches on Ilitch's age and desire for a championship potentially blinding him on the "right" choice for his club's present and future. Whatever dude. There's a real fine line between "commitment to winning" and desperation.....know what I mean?

It's definitely a great signing for them for the next few years. He'll mash. But anytime you sign a guy for upwards of a decade, it's going to be questioned. Especially when it's a GIGANTIC FAT GUY who can't play defense, or move.

There's obviously a huge downside potential to the back end of this contract.

It's definitely a great signing for them for the next few years. He'll mash. But anytime you sign a guy for upwards of a decade, it's going to be questioned. Especially when it's a GIGANTIC FAT GUY who can't play defense, or move. There's obviously a huge downside potential to the back end of this contract.
Tell me the % of concern vs the % of sheer joy you'd be feeling right now if the Rays had just made him their 1B instead of Pena?He's our GIGANTIC FAT GUY! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread