What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Problems getting FBG Daily email (1 Viewer)

bonscott

Footballguy
Has anyone gotten the daily email this week? Sunday was the last one I got.

I use gmail and nothing is in my spam folder (plus gmail doesn't block spam on their side that I am aware of).

Anyone else get one?

Has anyone gotten the daily email this week? Sunday was the last one I got. I use gmail and nothing is in my spam folder (plus gmail doesn't block spam on their side that I am aware of).Anyone else get one?
I didn't get today's (which would be yesterdays) So I got Sunday's but not Monday's also.

The last one I received was on Sunday.

Yahoo likes to block them, I added the jbryant@footballguys.com email to my contact list, and I now sometimes receive the emails at Yahoo now (I am receiving about half of those now). I added another email address to the list that should not block anything, and was receiving emails there up until the Sunday 5/13 issue, but nothing since.

Also, if they could update their website with the daily emails when they send them out, that would help me figure out if I am receiving their emails or not (or be able to read the updates when I don't receive them).

Hey Guys,

These been going out every night since the NFL Draft. If you're not receiving them and have signed up, please shoot an email to our Keith Overton at overton@footballguys.com and he can see what's up. I know several Yahoo mail users had trouble as Yahoo was blocking our mail for a bit.

Thanks.

J

Yahooer here. I used to always get them. Definitely haven't gotten any since the draft. I resubscribed a few hours ago. That might take care of it.

Here is the situation:

We changed email servers (with the goal of deliverying faster emails this year). The problem with doing this is we changed IP addresses and all of our good will getting on whitelists (lists to allow bulk emailers to not be viewed as spam was lost). Yahoo flagged us as spam out of the gate based on our lengthy emails and a few other mail services did the same.

We are now whitelisted like we were before. Unfortunately some emails bounced many times and our system then changed those emails to held status (meaning you won't receive the Updates). Keith purged these helds today so if you are not getting the updates, simply sign back up from the main page.

Sorry for all of the hassle. We think moving to this better mail server will pay dividends though to get news out to the massive list as fast as possible. We just did not anticipate our email being flagged as spam from many email accounts.

For those who use yahoo email, the emails may be going to the Bulk folder. Try the following and it should stop...at least it did for me. I have gotten mine, although I wish I could remember if I got todays

Try this:

If you use yahoo email, do the following:

Go to "options" at the top right, click it;

Then go to "spam protection", click it;

Then if you look and see the 2nd part down, where it says "mark spam + not spam", go to the part under it where it says "When I mark a message in the Bulk folder as Not Spam", and check the box underneath.

Check the bulk folder for the email next time it is sent, and next time you see it in the bulk folder, simply click the "Not Spam" button, and from that point forward, the email should appear in your inbox. This seems to be the simplest way to fix the problem. It worked for me.

EDIT TO ADD The above was before they changed servers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received my email for Wednesday, May 16th this morning.

Volume 8 Issue #21, May 21st, 2007

:shrug:

This isn't anything major but figured you may want to know that the date is wrong.

I received my email for Wednesday, May 16th this morning.

Volume 8 Issue #21, May 21st, 2007

:headbang:

This isn't anything major but figured you may want to know that the date is wrong.
Still nothing since Sunday 5/13 at either email address for me. Can we please get the website updated with the daily emails so I can read them there until things get figured out?

What is the email address that it will be coming from??
<bryant@footballguys.com>Everyone who's not getting emails just have it where you can receive emails from the address above.
I'm not sure that would help. They're not getting to my email address at all. Not in spam/bulk, inbox...nothing. Maybe I should register my gmail account instead.

<bryant@footballguys.com>Everyone who's not getting emails just have it where you can receive emails from the address above.
I'm not sure that would help. They're not getting to my email address at all. Not in spam/bulk, inbox...nothing. Maybe I should register my gmail account instead.
That would absolutely help.The issue is that Yahoo has unilaterally decided to greymail basically any domain that sends them mail in batches of >5 messages. Greymail is what they used to call a "mud" filter -- they slow down receipt of the messages so that you can only deliver a few of them each attempt you make. If you're sending thousands of them at a time like we are, most of them will eventually fail to be delivered because you'll run out of retry attempts. Fail to deliver too many messages in a row and the address gets suspended from our mailing list.

Here's some background on the problem if you're interested:

http://www.ahfx.net/weblog.php?article=107

As you can see from the article above, there is no real solution, though installing DomainKeys is supposed to help. I intend to do that this weekend if things don't get any better. I was hoping that having them add us to their whitelist would help, but it does not appear to have done a whole lot so far. We're still within their "wait 10-15 days to see results" period, though, so it may get better.

The only thing that could happen that would get Yahoo's attention would be if enough of their members get fed up with being treated like this and either a.) complain loudly to Yahoo about not being able te receive email they want to get; or b.) switch to Gmail or some other mail host.

That would absolutely help.The issue is that Yahoo has unilaterally decided to greymail basically any domain that sends them mail in batches of >5 messages. Greymail is what they used to call a "mud" filter -- they slow down receipt of the messages so that you can only deliver a few of them each attempt you make. If you're sending thousands of them at a time like we are, most of them will eventually fail to be delivered because you'll run out of retry attempts. Fail to deliver too many messages in a row and the address gets suspended from our mailing list.

Here's some background on the problem if you're interested:

http://www.ahfx.net/weblog.php?article=107

As you can see from the article above, there is no real solution, though installing DomainKeys is supposed to help. I intend to do that this weekend if things don't get any better. I was hoping that having them add us to their whitelist would help, but it does not appear to have done a whole lot so far. We're still within their "wait 10-15 days to see results" period, though, so it may get better.

The only thing that could happen that would get Yahoo's attention would be if enough of their members get fed up with being treated like this and either a.) complain loudly to Yahoo about not being able te receive email they want to get; or b.) switch to Gmail or some other mail host.
I don't see anywhere within Yahoo that I can allow emails from footballguys.com. But I added bryant@footballguys.com to my address book. Maybe that'll do it. I'll sign up with my gmail account too.

I don't see anywhere within Yahoo that I can allow emails from footballguys.com. But I added bryant@footballguys.com to my address book. Maybe that'll do it. I'll sign up with my gmail account too.
Here are some tips that might help:1.) Check your Bulk Mail folder for our Updates. If you do find some issues in there, you can train the spam filter to not block our messages in the future by marking them as "Not Spam". I expect that this problem partially originates from people who just click the "Spam" button next to our Updates rather than just unsubscribing from the list. Having some folks marking the mails as "Not Spam" should balance this out.

2.) Make sure that Yahoo SpamGuard is set to send suspected spam to the Bulk Email folder rather than delete it entirely. That way you can at least find the missing updates in the bulk mail folder. Here's how to find your Bulk Mail folder and change your SpamGuard settings:

http://help.yahoo.com/us/tutorials/mail/mail/spamguard1.html

3.) If you can't find our updates in the Bulk Mail folder, Footballguys might be on your Blocked List. If there are any addresses that end with @ footballguys.com or @ broadcast.footballguys.com on your Blocked List, that would cause the updates to be deleted entirely from your Yahoo account without any sort of notification. If you remove our addresses from your Blocked List, you should begin to receive the updates again. Here's how to access your Blocked List:

http://help.yahoo.com/us/tutorials/mail/mail/otherspam3.html

4.) Add Joe Bryant ( bryant@footballguys.com ) as a contact in your Yahoo mail account. This places mail from Joe on your "Safe List" which allows it to be placed in your Inbox by default. Here's how to do that:

http://www.exactgraphix.com/MIG/yahoo.php

5.) Set up a couple of mail filters to tell Yahoo mail to deliver any messages from Footballguys to your inbox folder. Here are the instructions on how to set that up -- instead of entering "@about.com" as the example shows, though, enter one filter for "@footballguys.com" and a second one for "@broadcast.footballguys.com":

http://email.about.com/cs/yahoomailtips/qt/et090103.htm

Here are some tips that might help:1.) Check your Bulk Mail folder for our Updates. If you do find some issues in there, you can train the spam filter to not block our messages in the future by marking them as "Not Spam". I expect that this problem partially originates from people who just click the "Spam" button next to our Updates rather than just unsubscribing from the list. Having some folks marking the mails as "Not Spam" should balance this out. I check the spam folder about once a week. Never any emails from FBG. If there had been, I would have clicked on "not spam" which would/should have fixed that.

2.) Make sure that Yahoo SpamGuard is set to send suspected spam to the Bulk Email folder rather than delete it entirely. That way you can at least find the missing updates in the bulk mail folder. Here's how to find your Bulk Mail folder and change your SpamGuard settings: always has been since I don't trust spam filters not to mark good emails as spam.

http://help.yahoo.com/us/tutorials/mail/mail/spamguard1.html

3.) If you can't find our updates in the Bulk Mail folder, Footballguys might be on your Blocked List. If there are any addresses that end with @ footballguys.com or @ broadcast.footballguys.com on your Blocked List, that would cause the updates to be deleted entirely from your Yahoo account without any sort of notification. If you remove our addresses from your Blocked List, you should begin to receive the updates again. Here's how to access your Blocked List:

http://help.yahoo.com/us/tutorials/mail/mail/otherspam3.html

I don't have anyone on the blocked list with that email address. It's the one I use with reputable companies so I've never had spam issues there. But I did check to be sure.

4.) Add Joe Bryant ( bryant@footballguys.com ) as a contact in your Yahoo mail account. This places mail from Joe on your "Safe List" which allows it to be placed in your Inbox by default. Here's how to do that:

http://www.exactgraphix.com/MIG/yahoo.php

Just did that.

5.) Set up a couple of mail filters to tell Yahoo mail to deliver any messages from Footballguys to your inbox folder. Here are the instructions on how to set that up -- instead of entering "@about.com" as the example shows, though, enter one filter for "@footballguys.com" and a second one for "@broadcast.footballguys.com":

might do that...or just use gmail. But, I'll do that too and let you know if it works.

http://email.about.com/cs/yahoomailtips/qt/et090103.htm
Thanks for the tips. :lmao:

So did the tips above help anyone out at Yahoo?
Adding bryant@footballguys.com to my contacts seems to have worked. I've received the 5/16 and 5/17 emails. :thumbup"
I added this yesterday afternoon and still haven't gotten any...Plus I added two filters:From contains "@footballguys.com"From contains "@broadcast.footballguys.com"

So did the tips above help anyone out at Yahoo?
Adding bryant@footballguys.com to my contacts seems to have worked. I've received the 5/16 and 5/17 emails. :thumbup"
I added this yesterday afternoon and still haven't gotten any...Plus I added two filters:

From contains "@footballguys.com"

From contains "@broadcast.footballguys.com"
Patience...I hope. The emails seem to be making it to my inbox in the afternoon even though they have an early morning timestamp. I haven't received todays email yet. You say you did it yesterday afternoon, so you might have missed yesterdays. Maybe todays will make it.

It's still hit or miss with yahoo. More miss than hit. I've given up and added my gmail account. Already got todays on gmail...not on yahoo.

It's still hit or miss with yahoo. More miss than hit. I've given up and added my gmail account. Already got todays on gmail...not on yahoo.
Yeah same here on the hit or miss and not a good batting average...

Yeah same here on the hit or miss and not a good batting average...
I have not received anything in my yahoo account for a couple weeks now. I added bryant@footballguys.com to my contacts and that started working on and off for a couple days, but then the emails just completely stopped again. I just tried adding the "@footballguys.com"and "@broadcast.footballguys.com" filters to direct them to my inbox, we'll see if that helps. I have been receiving the emails at my work email everyday without problem.

Thanks Guys. I'll pass this info along to our Keith Overton. I know he's been :goodposting: over this trying to deal with yahoo. It's another reason to hate spammers. It's because of them that Yahoo has to try and filter mail and we get hungup because of it. :wub:

J

What is strange is I received the breaking news about Keyshawn but don't get the daily emails.....Please update the website with the daily update more than once a week.

What is strange is I received the breaking news about Keyshawn but don't get the daily emails.....
same here
Thanks Guys. That is interesting and possibly helpful to see what's going on. The Breaking News emails are sent to the same list as the Daily Email Updates. Maybe it's because they're a much smaller file? Let me ask Keith.J

Yes -- in general, larger emails and emails with more .links in them will be more likely to trigger Yahoo's spam filter. Unfortunately, we don't have any way to know what the threshold is, so unfortunately we can't send an email with, say, 10 or fewer links or 500 or fewer words and know that it will not trip the spam filter.

Gmail seems to work every day as I'm subscribed using my Gmail account and I always get every message there. It seems like they are using a markedly different strategy to combat spam than Yahoo is. Gmail seems to accept every piece of mail that is sent to my address and then apply filters in this order:

Stuff that I've specifically marked "Not Spam" is put in my inbox

Stuff that I've specifically marked "Spam" is put in my spam folder

Generalized spam filters are then applied to determine where any mail I haven't assigned ends up

Yahoo still seems to be randomly rejecting mails even though we've been whitelisted for over two weeks. I'll be turning on DomainKeys later today, which is pretty much the only thing I know of that might help the Yahoo delivery percentage that I haven't already implemented.

Those with yahoo email need to check their spam settings. I bet some have it set to delete spam, instead of sending spam to their bulk folder. I use yahoo email and get all of mine about 7am or so EST, every single day. Not sure if there are other issues, but this might help some people.

Yes -- in general, larger emails and emails with more .links in them will be more likely to trigger Yahoo's spam filter. Unfortunately, we don't have any way to know what the threshold is, so unfortunately we can't send an email with, say, 10 or fewer links or 500 or fewer words and know that it will not trip the spam filter.Gmail seems to work every day as I'm subscribed using my Gmail account and I always get every message there. It seems like they are using a markedly different strategy to combat spam than Yahoo is. Gmail seems to accept every piece of mail that is sent to my address and then apply filters in this order:Stuff that I've specifically marked "Not Spam" is put in my inboxStuff that I've specifically marked "Spam" is put in my spam folderGeneralized spam filters are then applied to determine where any mail I haven't assigned ends upYahoo still seems to be randomly rejecting mails even though we've been whitelisted for over two weeks. I'll be turning on DomainKeys later today, which is pretty much the only thing I know of that might help the Yahoo delivery percentage that I haven't already implemented.
Just my 2 cents but maybe it is tripping the spam filter because it has links within itself.Example: If I click "KC - Chiefs Trade PK Tynes To Giants - Medlock To Get 1st Shot" on the top it sends me to the bottom of the email itself to the actual story. I think yahoo might misinterpret that code and kick it.

Since I can't get the emails from yahoo I set up a gmail account and will have gmail forward them to my yahoo account. Do all of the emails come from bryant @ footballguys or is there some others I need to have forwarded?

Since I can't get the emails from yahoo I set up a gmail account and will have gmail forward them to my yahoo account. Do all of the emails come from bryant @ footballguys or is there some others I need to have forwarded?
Yes -- they all come from bryant@footballguys.com -- that's a pretty interesting approach. Please let me know how it goes.

Yers -- they all come from bryant@footballguys.com -- that's a pretty interesting approach. Please let me know how it goes.
Thanks. I'll find out tomorrow.

Those with yahoo email need to check their spam settings. I bet some have it set to delete spam, instead of sending spam to their bulk folder. I use yahoo email and get all of mine about 7am or so EST, every single day. Not sure if there are other issues, but this might help some people.
Good point -- by default, Yahoo sets SpamGuard to delete anything it considers spam rather than putting it in the bulkmail folder. Here's how to modify that setting:http://help.yahoo.com/us/tutorials/mail/mail/spamguard1.html

On step #6, be sure to select the option to "Save the messages in the Bulk folder."

Also, DomainKeys (Yahoo's pet anti-spam technology) is now installed and working on our mailing list server. I'll be interested to see how it affects our delivery rate tomorrow.

Yers -- they all come from bryant@footballguys.com -- that's a pretty interesting approach. Please let me know how it goes.
Thanks. I'll find out tomorrow.
If this works, that would be great... I hate logging into gmail most of the time...

Users who are viewing this thread