What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Projectors vs. TVs (1 Viewer)

johnadams

Footballguy
I'm curious to know if anyone has ditched their TVs in favor of a projector and what their experience is. I live in a fairly small space and can't really justify a 60" TV, but could possibly go for a projector.

If you have a small space why get a projector? Projector is for situations where you could throw a 100"+ screen up on a wall. Panels do much better at smaller formats.

:blackdot:

I'm curious to hear comments regarding picture quality and resolution for some of these projectors. I've never actually SEEN one in person. Am I going to think "man, that looks pretty good," or "I wish that I could get that size with the quality of an LED."

If you have a small space why get a projector? Projector is for situations where you could throw a 100"+ screen up on a wall. Panels do much better at smaller formats.
Yup. If you're not going to do 60"+ (really 80"+) then don't bother with a PJ.

:blackdot:

I'm curious to hear comments regarding picture quality and resolution for some of these projectors. I've never actually SEEN one in person. Am I going to think "man, that looks pretty good," or "I wish that I could get that size with the quality of an LED."
It all comes down to budget and ability to control ambient light.

If you like to watch TV with the lights on, you're probably never going to get a projector to look like an LED - unless you spend a bunch to get a super bright projector.

But if you watch with the lights down/off then you can get something pretty close and for the tradeoff in increased size you'd probably be happy.

If you're in a fairly small space you have to consider the lens throw distance and what size screen it'll get you. If you're not getting at least an 80", as others have said, it won't be worth it. There's also wiring and power to consider.

In my experience with a projector, you have to do it in a room where you can control the ambient light. In my house, we have it in our basement and I have the lights on a dimmer. I don't need it pitch black to enjoy the projector, but if I was putting a TV or projector in any room with unshaded windows, I'd go TV every time.

I'm thinking of a projector with a pull down screen to save on space. I think the ability to pull the screen up and down, saving on the space that a TV takes up would be nice. From a space eater perspective, the ability to pull the screen up and down seems like a pretty big win. I have high ceilings but smallish rooms, so depth of projector seems like a concern. Also, just checking to see if anyone has been able to replace a traditional living room TV with a projector and gotten similar viewing enjoyment.

I'm thinking of a projector with a pull down screen to save on space. I think the ability to pull the screen up and down, saving on the space that a TV takes up would be nice. From a space eater perspective, the ability to pull the screen up and down seems like a pretty big win. I have high ceilings but smallish rooms, so depth of projector seems like a concern. Also, just checking to see if anyone has been able to replace a traditional living room TV with a projector and gotten similar viewing enjoyment.
without thinking too much into this I think you aren't going to achieve what you think you will achieve going this route. You are best served with a thin flat panel wall mounted with internal cable routing.

A friend of mine did this, and he thinks it's the greatest thing ever, but he likes to brag about all his gadgets. I think it looks terrible because of the lighting in the room.

without thinking too much into this I think you aren't going to achieve what you think you will achieve going this route. You are best served with a thin flat panel wall mounted with internal cable routing.
I agree. TV's are pretty small nowadays and the footprint of screen + projector will be bigger than the TV alone.

Brony said:
culdeus said:
johnadams said:
I agree. TV's are pretty small nowadays and the footprint of screen + projector will be bigger than the TV alone.
I am actually not best served by a wall mounted flat screen. Of the four walls I have, one is a bay window, the second is a fireplace, the third has french doors leaving only one wall where I can mount a TV of any size, but this is also the only wall where I can realistically put a couch. The wall mount is not going to happen. It's the retractable nature of the screen that I'd use with a projector that is attractive. The logistics of wiring, placement, etc. isn't an issue. My concern is whether or not I can get a good picture in hi-def at a decent size in a normal living room using a projector and screen.

Brony said:
culdeus said:
johnadams said:
I am actually not best served by a wall mounted flat screen. Of the four walls I have, one is a bay window, the second is a fireplace, the third has french doors leaving only one wall where I can mount a TV of any size, but this is also the only wall where I can realistically put a couch. The wall mount is not going to happen. It's the retractable nature of the screen that I'd use with a projector that is attractive. The logistics of wiring, placement, etc. isn't an issue. My concern is whether or not I can get a good picture in hi-def at a decent size in a normal living room using a projector and screen.
The answer is yes, unless it's as terribly bright room.

Just upgraded from my 3-year old Optama HD66 to the Optama HD25-lv projector. I'm throwing a 106' picture and while the HD66 wasn't super bright, needed a pretty dark room to get a good picture, the HD25 is super bright and throws a terrific picture in both 2D and 3D.

I have the projector in my basement and a typical samsung lcd in my living room. While the Samsung is our "workhorse" I much prefer the projector for all types of viewing. I wouldn't recommend a projector in an "either/or" scenario, but if you can do both, the projector presents a much more movie-like experience.

James Daulton said:
Just upgraded from my 3-year old Optama HD66 to the Optama HD25-lv projector. I'm throwing a 106' picture and while the HD66 wasn't super bright, needed a pretty dark room to get a good picture, the HD25 is super bright and throws a terrific picture in both 2D and 3D.

I have the projector in my basement and a typical samsung lcd in my living room. While the Samsung is our "workhorse" I much prefer the projector for all types of viewing. I wouldn't recommend a projector in an "either/or" scenario, but if you can do both, the projector presents a much more movie-like experience.
106 feet is too big for most rooms.

James Daulton said:

106 feet is too big for most rooms.
We're going to need a bigger house.

Users who are viewing this thread