What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (3 Viewers)

When you say, “he hopes the Packers” believe this reported number, you’re referring to Florio? Rodgers is in direct contact negotiations with the team through his agent David Dunn. This would be his fifth contract with the team, not counting restructures. He doesn’t have to hope they believe anything. 
I am not sure how you are so badly misinterpreting what I'm saying, others seem to be getting it.

I am not sure how you are so badly misinterpreting what I'm saying, others seem to be getting it.
I didn't interpret what you're saying, nor misinterpret, nor understand it.  I need a better interpreter.  Who is it you expect to believe a Florio rumor or not believe it?  The team, the player or some message board posters?  

Fun thought experiment: 

YOU are the Packers GM.  Rodgers tells you he wants $90M guaranteed for 2 years.

What do you do? 
I can’t set a precedence and have players dictate their demand. More money for him means less money for everyone else and less chance to be competitive. He signed a contract. Play or retire. He’s not irreplaceable. He can deal with the fans and teammates himself.

Fun thought experiment: 

YOU are the Packers GM.  Rodgers tells you he wants $90M guaranteed for 2 years.

What do you do? 
I thought when this news broke in April(?) the play was to trade him.  I would have taken a firm stance that we are not going to trade pennies to the dollar for a guy who has stated he is upset with the team and office personnel.  They could have sold him.  It might have pissed off the fan base, which can be the only reason they let this drag on.  I would never pay him the guaranteed money.  This relationship is fractured and I would let him retire.  I would continue to shop him as an asset I am ready and willing to liquidate with the transparency we will not take anything below market value via trade.

ANYTHING, Rodgers says is just fodder and should be treated as such.  He should be getting destroyed by the media for his conduct, lack of leadership and everything in between.  Shame on both parties for allowing this circus to continue.  

As the GM, I apologize for not getting the weapons he wants around him and try to include him on some of the personnel decisions I have made.  I let him know, I understand the relationship is fractured and hope we can rebuild this.  Also, let him know I hope we can go to work this year and continue the legacy he has built with this team and the fan base and look to see what we can do next year, while including him on that decision as well.  

I realize, it is a 2 way street.  I don't think Aaron realizes that. 

I thought when this news broke in April(?) the play was to trade him.  I would have taken a firm stance that we are not going to trade pennies to the dollar for a guy who has stated he is upset with the team and office personnel.  They could have sold him.  It might have pissed off the fan base, which can be the only reason they let this drag on.  I would never pay him the guaranteed money.  This relationship is fractured and I would let him retire.  I would continue to shop him as an asset I am ready and willing to liquidate with the transparency we will not take anything below market value via trade.

ANYTHING, Rodgers says is just fodder and should be treated as such.  He should be getting destroyed by the media for his conduct, lack of leadership and everything in between.  Shame on both parties for allowing this circus to continue.  

As the GM, I apologize for not getting the weapons he wants around him and try to include him on some of the personnel decisions I have made.  I let him know, I understand the relationship is fractured and hope we can rebuild this.  Also, let him know I hope we can go to work this year and continue the legacy he has built with this team and the fan base and look to see what we can do next year, while including him on that decision as well.  

I realize, it is a 2 way street.  I don't think Aaron realizes that. 
In the end...all 3 should be gone from GB in the next few years.

Rodgers by choice...the other two shown the door for their incompetence in this situation.

In the end...all 3 should be gone from GB in the next few years.

Rodgers by choice...the other two shown the door for their incompetence in this situation.
I think the performance this year will dictate a lot of that.  I am not a GB fan, but I do pay close attention to them as a lot of my family are fans.  Their defense was abysmal a couple years ago and now look to be in the upper half to the league.  They haven't really had issue with their receivers, due to Adams and Rodgers chemistry.  Do I think Lazard or MVS will ever develop into stars?  No, probably not but Rodgers didn't need stars.  This circus show has gone on so long, I am not sure whether Rodgers wants money, players, executive control or a job on Jeopardy.  

I think the performance this year will dictate a lot of that.  I am not a GB fan, but I do pay close attention to them as a lot of my family are fans.  Their defense was abysmal a couple years ago and now look to be in the upper half to the league.  They haven't really had issue with their receivers, due to Adams and Rodgers chemistry.  Do I think Lazard or MVS will ever develop into stars?  No, probably not but Rodgers didn't need stars.  This circus show has gone on so long, I am not sure whether Rodgers wants money, players, executive control or a job on Jeopardy.  
And odd thing...I think Gutenkunst has done a decent job overall at GM with his free agents and some of his draft picks.  The Jordan Love thing and how he has handled Rodgers though has been a dereliction of duty.

Murphy as well...off the field, he has been great in setting the team up from a standpoint of expanding the footprint of Lambeau and the Packers controlled area...making it a destination in GB.  But how he has structured things to be more involved on the football side is not good IMO and after having been there during the Favre saga...to bungle this so bad now is inexcusable.

Murphy as well...off the field, he has been great in setting the team up from a standpoint of expanding the footprint of Lambeau and the Packers controlled area...making it a destination in GB.  But how he has structured things to be more involved on the football side is not good IMO and after having been there during the Favre saga...to bungle this so bad now is inexcusable.
Mark Murphy should be replaced as soon as possible.  Off the field the Packers continue to be very, very successful.  Frankly, I don't believe Mark Murphy accomplished anything in that portion of his role that hundreds of others wouldn't have in the same position.

His involvement on the football side is an entirely different matter.  He's a disaster there and his mismanagement results in real problems.  Highlighted by the current management structure where multiple levels report directly to him.  That's ripe for disaster from the jump and leads to inevitable power struggles, poor morale, and general in-house fighting.  The CEO should hire the GM and then hold them accountable.

Murphy also has a knack for getting quoted by the media for league-wide issues.  He's not an owner, so he should stick to being a Packers first executive that largely doesn't comment at all on larger football-related items.  He should attend a lot of local events, shaking hands and kissing babies, and leave the national football business comments to the 31 owners.  He's not Jerry Jones...so he needs to quit acting like him.  Thankfully the Packers can, and should, replace their "leader" as soon as possible.

Mark Murphy should be replaced as soon as possible.  Off the field the Packers continue to be very, very successful.  Frankly, I don't believe Mark Murphy accomplished anything in that portion of his role that hundreds of others wouldn't have in the same position.

His involvement on the football side is an entirely different matter.  He's a disaster there and his mismanagement results in real problems.  Highlighted by the current management structure where multiple levels report directly to him.  That's ripe for disaster from the jump and leads to inevitable power struggles, poor morale, and general in-house fighting.  The CEO should hire the GM and then hold them accountable.

Murphy also has a knack for getting quoted by the media for league-wide issues.  He's not an owner, so he should stick to being a Packers first executive that largely doesn't comment at all on larger football-related items.  He should attend a lot of local events, shaking hands and kissing babies, and leave the national football business comments to the 31 owners.  He's not Jerry Jones...so he needs to quit acting like him.  Thankfully the Packers can, and should, replace their "leader" as soon as possible.
My take, from a distance, is that the Packers management has done a great job with a difficult situation.  Its never going to be an easy situation when a 37 year old QB comes back and wins the MVP after a couple down years.  We saw how the Saints and Pats dealt with similar circumstances in recent years and I think the Packers have maybe learned from that and have done a fantastic job.  I also think Rodgers and his agent have conducted themselves exactly as I would want and expect them to.  Of course he's going to drive a hard bargain - he deserves it.  Its still July, this has cost the Packers nothing and in fact has provided a great silver lining for them in getting the young #2 some valuable reps.  In a perfect world, Rodgers stays away a few more weeks while they hammer something out and returns for the last 1-2 preseason games.  Remember that he attributed his success last season to having not had a preseason.  I think that's his goal and the team is on board. 

My take, from a distance, is that the Packers management has done a great job with a difficult situation.  
In general, I tend to agree with a majority of your thoughts CM.  However, the football related decisions made by Mark Murphy, specifically the organizational structure and continuous quotes in the media, are the single biggest reasons the Packers are where they are today with their franchise QB (and others).  Murphy just doesn't get it, and seems to get his head further up his backside with each bigger decision he faces.  

Overall I view Mark Murphy as the one person I'd prefer be replaced in the near future for the long-term health of the Packers organization.  He's certainly no Bob Harlan, and the organization desperately needs another CEO that understands what Harlan figured out over his years leading the franchise.  Time for a new leader that understands how to maximize profits as well as putting the Green Bay Packers in the best positions to win on the field, especially once the team no longer has a Hall of Fame quarterback behind center.  Murphy's free ride has come to an end.

I didn't interpret what you're saying, nor misinterpret, nor understand it.  I need a better interpreter.  Who is it you expect to believe a Florio rumor or not believe it?  The team, the player or some message board posters?  
I don't expect anyone to believe it, and would question the judgement of anyone who does.

Rodgers hopes the Packers do.  The only reason it was put out there was to screw with them some more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some anonymous team reported Rodgers wants 2 years 90 guaranteed.

If true (I love anonymous sourcing), I'm betting it wasn't a team Rodgers wanted to go to.

In general, I tend to agree with a majority of your thoughts CM.  However, the football related decisions made by Mark Murphy, specifically the organizational structure and continuous quotes in the media, are the single biggest reasons the Packers are where they are today with their franchise QB (and others).  Murphy just doesn't get it, and seems to get his head further up his backside with each bigger decision he faces.  

Overall I view Mark Murphy as the one person I'd prefer be replaced in the near future for the long-term health of the Packers organization.  He's certainly no Bob Harlan, and the organization desperately needs another CEO that understands what Harlan figured out over his years leading the franchise.  Time for a new leader that understands how to maximize profits as well as putting the Green Bay Packers in the best positions to win on the field, especially once the team no longer has a Hall of Fame quarterback behind center.  Murphy's free ride has come to an end.
I say "from a distance" because I don't know enough about the day-to-day to judge what Murphy has done or not done correctly. Harlan was a much more likable guy.  Murphy has negotiated a difficult transition from McCarthy/Thompson to LaFleur/Gutekunst and, judging purely from W's and L's, which is the only metric I feel comfortable with, its been a huge success.  In terms of "where they are today" - I've got Green/Gold glasses on perhaps, but I think the team is in a fantastic spot right now. I understand #12 has a few ruffled feathers, and they will probably lose him sometime in the next year or so, but I'm not sure that was ever avoidable nor do I put that mostly on Murphy/Gutekunst.  Perhaps they could have done better, but I like where they are at.

I say "from a distance" because I don't know enough about the day-to-day to judge what Murphy has done or not done correctly. Harlan was a much more likable guy.  Murphy has negotiated a difficult transition from McCarthy/Thompson to LaFleur/Gutekunst and, judging purely from W's and L's, which is the only metric I feel comfortable with, its been a huge success.  In terms of "where they are today" - I've got Green/Gold glasses on perhaps, but I think the team is in a fantastic spot right now. I understand #12 has a few ruffled feathers, and they will probably lose him sometime in the next year or so, but I'm not sure that was ever avoidable nor do I put that mostly on Murphy/Gutekunst.  Perhaps they could have done better, but I like where they are at.
That's the thing, from the outside. While he's been CEO/president, the Packers have 3 losing seasons out of 14, 8 division championships and a super bowl. Of course, a LOT of that is due to Rodgers. So it's more difficult to judge the impact Murphy had. But 30 other franchises would love that level of success.

looks like team made concessions...to void 2023...relook at things in spring and open cap space.  Which reports are now that Adams is open to resigning now or reopening talks.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Packers are expected to restructure Aaron Rodgers' contract to address his grievances with the team while setting up his "departure from Green Bay after the season."

Schefter noted that this isn't a done deal yet but it would be surprising to see things fall apart at this point. It's a truly wild situation as Schefter also added that the new contract would address some of his "issues with the team" but didn't elaborate further. It would void the final year of his deal and allow him to leave by preventing the Packers from using any kind of tag on him. Lastly, the new contract would not give Rodgers any more money but would free up some cap space for Green Bay to spend this year. It's a bizarre situation and the lack of any new money, if true, would solidify the fact that Rodgers' dispute with the team was based exclusively on philosophical differences. More info will come and clarify some of the oddities of the deal but, for now, Rodgers is back with the Packers for another year. 

I can’t believe the Packers gave him back 2 years & only locked it up for 1. GB had alllllll the leverage here. That’s just nuts. GB is a team run with questionable competence.

Unless they truly believed that he would have sat out otherwise this was a terrible decision.

It also has to be taken as confirmation that Love just isn’t ready for anything resembling prime time. 

I can’t believe the Packers gave him back 2 years & only locked it up for 1. GB had alllllll the leverage here. That’s just nuts. GB is a team run with questionable competence.

Unless they truly believed that he would have sat out otherwise this was a terrible decision.

It also has to be taken as confirmation that Love just isn’t ready for anything resembling prime time. 
Thus far they have only given up the last year and not both.

Drawing wild conclusions based on media rumors? I guess that’s what we do here in the off-season. 

Aaron Rodgers was present for the start of Packers training camp. 

Rodgers sauntered into the team facility Tuesday morning after months of brinksmanship. It was only in June that the Jordan Love era appeared to be underway in Green Bay. But after last-minute negotiations that could ensure Rodgers can escape the Packers snake pit after this season locked him in for one last ride in Green Bay. Rodgers' redraft ADP is sure to jump in the coming days, along with Davante Adams and Aaron Jones. Though his career-high 9.1 percent touchdown rate from 2020 is sure to fall a bit in 2021, Rodgers should be among the first non-rushing QBs off the draft board this summer. 

RELATED: 

Jordan Love

SOURCE: Jonathan Jones on Twitter 

Jul 27, 2021, 9:36 AM ET

So far only voided the last year and will evaluate the situation in the Spring.  Which most have said will really just be working out the trade.
Some speculation that it might be a "me-or-him" scenario, that the Packers have agreed to trade either Rodgers or Jordan Love after the season.

Just shows the power or NFL teams bs players.

Packers get Rodgers back this year…not forced to sit.  Still have ability to trade after and all they gave up seemingly is the last  year of his deal that seemed like it would never come anyway.

Rather than give him up for draft picks now that would turn out to likely be later draft picks.

I thought even giving his m an opt out would have have been an ok end to this after this year.  They still can trade him for high value.

The agreement in principle would include an approximation of the following conditions that the two sides now are finalizing to alleviate and address some of Rodgers' issues before the opening of Tuesday's training camp:

* The 2023 year in Rodgers' contract -- the last one in his current deal -- would be voided, with no tags allowed in the future.

* The Packers would agree to review Rodgers' situation at the end of this season.

* Rodgers' contract would be adjusted with no loss of income to give the Packers more cap room now.

* Mechanisms will be put in place to address Rodgers' issues with the team.

If Packers officials sign off on their willingness to trade Rodgers, and the agreement is finalized soon, here's the biggest concession the reigning MVP will receive: the freedom to decide where he wants to play in 2022.

The Packers' agreement to "review" the situation after the season implies that the team will trade Rodgers if he still feels the way he has about the Packers' culture and decision-making.

Some speculation that it might be a "me-or-him" scenario, that the Packers have agreed to trade either Rodgers or Jordan Love after the season.
If true, how ridiculously selfish and thin skinned of Rodgers.
There's no chance that's a contractual or even a handshake agreement, but is the practical reality - very hard to keep Rodgers after this season and string Love along for another clipboard year.

The details are still largely unknown, but this seems like a pretty clear win-win.  Well done by both sides, dealing with a difficult situation, and both essentially getting what they wanted in the end.  The fact the Packers get their QB1 for one more season, then move on to Love, while maintaining trade compensation and no salary increase and minimal cap hit is an incredible job by Gutekunst, Murphy and Ball. It was fun while it lasted, now happy to put this to bed.

There's no chance that's a contractual or even a handshake agreement, but is the practical reality - very hard to keep Rodgers after this season and string Love along for another clipboard year.

The details are still largely unknown, but this seems like a pretty clear win-win.  Well done by both sides, dealing with a difficult situation, and both essentially getting what they wanted in the end.  The fact the Packers get their QB1 for one more season, then move on to Love, while maintaining trade compensation and no salary increase and minimal cap hit is an incredible job by Gutekunst, Murphy and Ball. It was fun while it lasted, now happy to put this to bed.
They won't be trading Love. What would they get, 3rd or 4th round pick? Won't happen. 

Rodgers has been such a team player this entire off-season and his “request” to add Cobb seems at this point an additional burden on the team. Are Packer fans truly happy that he is returning? 

I don't understand this?  If they're voiding the last year of his deal isn't he then a free agent?  How could they trade him?  What's the point of "reviewing" anything?  Rodgers gets to go play where he wants to play, which sounds like what he's wanted the entire time.

I don't understand this?  If they're voiding the last year of his deal isn't he then a free agent?  How could they trade him?  What's the point of "reviewing" anything?  Rodgers gets to go play where he wants to play, which sounds like what he's wanted the entire time.
The details aren't truly known.  What is being reported is speculation, but it makes sense.  He now has 3 years remaining on his contract with the Packers, running through the 2023 season.  There is almost no guaranteed salary left in this contract (he received almost all of it when they restructured in 2019.)  The reported deal is that they void the third year, but he's under contract this season and next.  He's probably getting almost all his money up front.  This means he plays this season, and they reportedly agree to revisit his situation next offseason - basically a common sense factor which is also probably not in writing, but just is.  After this season, whether they win the superbowl and he's MVP again, or he sucks, whether they learn to get along or things get worse - whatever happens, the team and player can agree to trade him, extend him, or - the most unlikely situation - he plays a second season and is then completely free.  There's also a suggestion that he has some say in where he goes, which is probably true regardless of what the contract says.

They're getting Cobb back?!?. Man, Rodgers destroyed Green Bay front office in this negotiation. Hopefully he doesn't get a god complex.

Users who are viewing this thread