What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (1 Viewer)

For the love of God let's please not turn this into a vaccine thread

That's the undercurrent of it. People are just dancing around the issue because this isn't the place for it. But unless you're a Green Bay fan like Cletius or a Jets fan like me, your opinion about Rodgers is based on his football skills, his attitude towards COVID, and then other things. But the COVID thing is huge for some people and takes precedence over his football skills because everybody seems to be a political crank these days.

I will say this about this recent, incredible news that he is practicing -- I've only watched one quarter of Jets football this season. I was extremely excited to see his debut but turned that game off shortly after he exited and haven't seen a single second of Jets football since. That's nothing to do with the Jets. I just don't watch much NFL at all other than my team. But if he comes back, I will absolutely be there in front of the television to see it. I've watched his entire pro career, including probably somewhere around 70-80 games in person. Its been an incredible pleasure watching this guy play football and nothing he says or does off the field will change that. In a sense its exactly like Favre - probably my favorite NFL player in my lifetime but someone I've hardly given a second thought to since he left Green Bay. Rodgers' episode with COVID only mattered to me insofar as it cost the Packers a potential win due to his untimely suspension which, speaking purely as a football fan, struck me as selfish at the time in that he let his teammates and us fans down.

Jets HC Robert Saleh said he has “no idea” if it would be possible for Aaron Rodgers (Achilles) to play in Week 16 against the Commanders.

With Rodgers’ 21-day window open, he would need to be activated by Week 16 or be ruled out for the season. A Week 14 win over the Texans kept the Jets somewhat in the playoff conversation. A Week 15 win over the Dolphins would only strengthen what little chances they have at making the postseason, which could spur the team into starting Rodgers if he’s healthy enough to play. The idea of Rodgers playing again this season feels highly unlikely, especially if the Jets lose next week. With that said, Saleh will continue to answer these questions until a final decision has been made on Rodgers’ 2023 season.

Jets QB Aaron Rodgers (Achilles) is unlikely to play again this season, according to Ian Rapoport.

Appearing on The Insiders, Ian Rapoport mentioned that Rodgers “is not going to play because, unfortunately, there’s nothing to play for.” For weeks now, Rodgers has said to anybody willing to listen that he wanted to come back and play for the Jets in 2023 if they were still in playoff contention. After Sunday’s loss to the Dolphins, the Jets are no longer in playoff contention, and Rapoport mentioned that many people inside the Jets organization don’t want Rodgers on the field this season to risk injury for 2024. The team has until Wednesday to decide whether they want to active Rodgers from the IR or officially end this season so we may, mercifully, have some closure in the coming days.

ESPN’s Rich Cimini reports that Aaron Rodgers (achilles) is not fully healed.

As expected and with any torn achilles, Rodgers is not yet ready to play. He indicated that if he was fully healed, he’d push to play down the stretch. It was always a pipe dream to come back some 14 weeks after tearing an achilles, but Rodgers did his job and had us talking about it as if it were a real possibility. You’ll likely see Rodgers on the field again in 2024.

Jets activated Aaron Rodgers (Achilles) from injured reserve.

Rodgers will be placed on the team’s 53-player roster so he can continue practicing for some reason. Rodgers won’t return to the field after suffering an Achilles injury in Week 1 and pledging to play again in 2023. The Jets have been eliminated from postseason contention, forcing Rodgers to admit he’s not close to 100 percent recovered from the Achilles tear after months of saying otherwise. Rodgers said Tuesday that he plans to play well into his 40s, and that 2024 won’t be his final NFL season. Jets head coach Robert Saleh said Rodgers could play up to five more seasons in the NFL. Rodgers has advocated for his buddy Nathaniel Hackett to keep his job as Jets offensive coordinator, along with Saleh. Garrett Wilson should be a top-10 fantasy option next season if Rodgers returns at full health.

Sorry Rodgers fans, but this paragraph from an ESPN article had me laughing pretty hard.

Rodgers, responding to a question about what can be learned from the 7-10 season, said the Jets need to eliminate distractions. The four-time MVP, who created headlines throughout the year with his weekly TV appearances on "The Pat McAfee Show" -- most recently last week with controversial remarks about talk show host Jimmy Kimmel -- said the organization must maintain a singular focus to shed its losing ways.

Sorry Rodgers fans, but this paragraph from an ESPN article had me laughing pretty hard.

Rodgers, responding to a question about what can be learned from the 7-10 season, said the Jets need to eliminate distractions. The four-time MVP, who created headlines throughout the year with his weekly TV appearances on "The Pat McAfee Show" -- most recently last week with controversial remarks about talk show host Jimmy Kimmel -- said the organization must maintain a singular focus to shed its losing ways.
He meant anything that distracts from what he says. That he should be the Jets singular focus. Which given the return of Douglas, Salah and Hackett seems to be the direction the Jets are taking.

Big huge pot calls kettle black

I'm so happy I got to see this guy play football for my favorite team - at least 50 times in person and over 200 games total. What a pleasure its been. His jaw-dropping talent and hard work has brought so much joy to me and my friends over the past 15 years (or so). I remain forever thankful to him for that.

Schilling's shenanigans were the first for me- nothing surprises anymore. Quacks are going to quack.

More pressing questions: How's the Achilles doing? Garret Wilson shareholders want to know.
One thing that I think is really weird about Rodgers, and Cousins to a lesser extent since he's not over 40, is that people are just assuming an Achilles tear isn't the worst injury a football player can have short of spine/neck stuff, and they'll be back to normal. There's a very real chance that Rodgers is no longer a good QB. That he goes the same way as Cleveland Watson or Denver Wilson, and just isn't the same guy.

Schilling's shenanigans were the first for me- nothing surprises anymore. Quacks are going to quack.

More pressing questions: How's the Achilles doing? Garret Wilson shareholders want to know.
One thing that I think is really weird about Rodgers, and Cousins to a lesser extent since he's not over 40, is that people are just assuming an Achilles tear isn't the worst injury a football player can have short of spine/neck stuff, and they'll be back to normal. There's a very real chance that Rodgers is no longer a good QB. That he goes the same way as Cleveland Watson or Denver Wilson, and just isn't the same guy.
possible - but Rodgers even at 75% is better than any Jets QB in decades

I think an Achilles injury is more devastating to RBs than QBs. Especially those that rely on their arm more than their feet.

Also, he was not very good his last season before the Achilles injury. I cannot even remember the last time he threw for 300 yards.

I think an Achilles injury is more devastating to RBs than QBs.
Its devastating to everyone. It'd be devastating to a Center.

possible - but Rodgers even at 75% is better than any Jets QB in decades
Yes, but that doesn't mean much. Russell Wilson was the Broncos best QB since 2014.

Also, he was not very good his last season before the Achilles injury.
I can see how those 3 snaps are something to draw a conclusion on.
He meant 2022.

ETA: Rodgers 2022 wasn't as good as Love's 2023. That may say more about Rodgers than Love, but 1 year in, it sure looks like GB knew what they were doing.

There is a belief that he played much if not most of 2022 with a broken thumb, but yeah, he did not look like his normal self that season.

Also, he was not very good his last season before the Achilles injury.
I can see how those 3 snaps are something to draw a conclusion on.
Really? Reread what i wrote.
Well technically what you wrote was " his last season before the achilles injury" which in fact was the 3 snaps he took before he got hurt. Had you said "his previous season before he tore his achilles" it would have been more clear.

I know what you meant now, but honestly could not be so sure because some people have some wild takes around here or forget things and I'm not familar enough with you to know if you are one of those people.

As for his last season in GB he was down for sure. Losing Adams and dealing with inexperienced receiver room was a big factor but I also though he was not putting in the extra work older players need to put in, looked like how older QB's looked from a different era, not the way guys like Brees and Brady looked in this one.

I don't like the guy and don't want to defend him, but I do think he's at least putting in the work to be more physically capable.

I'm so happy I got to see this guy play football for my favorite team - at least 50 times in person and over 200 games total. What a pleasure its been. His jaw-dropping talent and hard work has brought so much joy to me and my friends over the past 15 years (or so). I remain forever thankful to him for that.
Happy for you that you can still feel that way. I have too much bias and personal feelings that now get in my way. Which I'm totally fine with. Rodger's Sandy Hook conspiracy theories have completely ruined him to me forever. F him.
Didn’t he reject that? Also, I believe the moderator already said to drop that?

Not touching the political angle other than to say, if anyone is actually worried that it will affect his upcoming NFL season, please allow me to disabuse you of the notion that it has any chance of happening. A guy is not going to walk away from a multimillion dollar football contract to run for VP (or to host Jeopardy, or for any other reason). I could speculate on the reasons why his name is being floated (rhymes with "schmimmick") but for our purposes, just know that it will never happen

I hope he retires soon so I can stop hearing about this idiot. He should've ended his career as a Packer.
It seems like yesterday he was waiting in the green room to be drafted. Life flies by, then you’re dead.

I seem to remember people on these boards calling him a self-absorbed, classless idiot back when he was Favre's backup. The signs were all there even back then.

I hope he retires soon so I can stop hearing about this idiot. He should've ended his career as a Packer.
It seems like yesterday he was waiting in the green room to be drafted. Life flies by, then you’re dead.

I seem to remember people on these boards calling him a self-absorbed, classless idiot back when he was Favre's backup. The signs were all there even back then.
I remember Favre being the classless one, not wanting to mentor Rodgers. I like Aaron Rodgers and hope he goes out with a great year in NY. Maybe two.

I remember Favre being the classless one, not wanting to mentor Rodgers. I like Aaron Rodgers and hope he goes out with a great year in NY. Maybe two.
I remember when tearing an achilles meant the end of your career - times sure have changed. As people Favre and Rodgers are like two peas in a pod. Great QBs though, and now there's Love - how lucky can one franchise be?

I remember when tearing an achilles meant the end of your career - times sure have changed. As people Favre and Rodgers are like two peas in a pod. Great QBs though, and now there's Love - how lucky can one franchise be?
I believe a torn Achilles used to mean end of career for RBs, not QBs.

The Colts went from Manning to Luck. That didn’t end well, so here is hoping it does for Love. You’re right, they have been lucky to have three good ones in a row. Kind of makes up for the 80s.

I hope Rodgers has pro bowl type of year.

The Colts have been pretty Luck-y with their QBs as well :biggrin: but the Jets are gonna Jets - even with a healthy Rodgers + all their other talent, I'm betting the under.

The Colts have been pretty Luck-y with their QBs as well :biggrin: but the Jets are gonna Jets - even with a healthy Rodgers + all their other talent, I'm betting the under.
They haven't been lucky with their QBs lately, with all the geezers they tried and the jury is still out on Richardson.

Soon Rodgers will be VP 5 times if you catch my drift
You meant MVP. I hope the Jets go to the Super Bowl, unless they bump up against the Colts in the playoffs.
You want Rodgers to have a great year, I think we've all got it by now.
Of course, I like a good underdog story. It would be great to see him make a full recovery from a severe injury. Besides, I'm sure the owners of Jets skill players hope he bounces back.

Users who are viewing this thread