What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Bryce Young, CAR (1 Viewer)

Alabama junior QB Bryce Young is largely projected to be the best quarterback in the nation in 2022. 

Young (6'0/194) is projected by many to be the No. 1 overall pick or at least the first quarterback off the board in the 2023 NFL Draft. He showed a world on potential in 2021, bailing one of the shakiest Alabama teams in recent history out of some tough situations and finishing out the season with a 66.9% completion percentage, 4,872 passing yards, 47 touchdowns and seven interceptions. According to Pro Football Focus, Young also has third-highest graded season by an SEC QB since 2014 when kept clean in the pocket (95.4 in 2021), behind only Joe Burrow and Mac Jones.

SOURCE: PFF

May 5, 2022, 7:46 PM ET

Alabama junior QB Bryce Young and Ohio State QB CJ Stroud are tied for the same PFF FBS QB grade.

It was already difficult enough to choose who deserved the QB 1 spot between Young (6'0/194) and Stroud. But looking into the stat line might make that even harder. According to Pro Football Focus, both Young and Stroud finished out with an overall PFF grade of 92.2 in 2021, making them tied for the highest-graded FBS quarterback last year. With both of them set to be Heisman Trophy contenders this season, it will be interesting to see who ultimately pulls ahead.

May 17, 2022, 8:34 PM ET

According to Pro Football Focus, Alabama junior QB Bryce Young is currently the top quarterback for this upcoming draft

It’ll be Young and Stroud that will battle not only for a National Title, Heisman Trophy, but also the QB1 spot in the draft. Right now, the Bama QB has the edge just based on last season but that could change weekly. Young has the stature of a NFL quarterback with his size, but he also possesses the mobility to elude the pass rush. We’ve seen quarterbacks flounder with bad offensive lines, but that wasn’t the case, and it could give a rebuilding NFL franchise the confidence to draft him and lead that team with a less than quAluty supporting talent. This is well-worthy narrative to watch this season.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus

May 27, 2022, 2:46 PM ET

According to PFF’s Connor Rogers, Alabama junior QB Bryce Young is an early top 5 QB for the 2023 draft.

The Heisman Trophy winner comes in at No. 2 behind CJ Stroud, but he very well moved into the top spot throughout the season. While he’s not the passer Stroud is, he’s the more athletic quarterback that can cause chaos with his feet. The Tide come in as one of the favorites to win the National Title, and if they do it, a big reason will be because of him. There's tons of pressure, but he’s shown to rise above it, and that’s why many NFL teams want him to be their franchise quarterback.

SOURCE: PFF College

Jun 19, 2022, 2:32 PM ET

Alabama junior QB Bryce Young is expected to be a hot commodity in the 2023 NFL Draft.

It's essentially a neck-and-neck, two-horse race for best quarterback in the nation this offseason between Young (6'0/194) and CJ Stroud of Ohio State. Both have appeared in several way-too-early mock drafts as the possible first overall pick. There are several teams who could be in need of Young's talents next year, one of which is the Atlanta Falcons -- the team Michael Renner of Pro Football Focus recently pinned Young as a fit for: "College fans in Georgia are unfortunately all too familiar with Young’s game. The Alabama quarterback put together the single most impressive performance of any passer last year against the most talented collegiate defenses in at least the last decade. Even with options on the roster, a franchise quarterback is still atop the Falcons' wishlist for the 2023 draft." It will be interesting to see how things shake out come April.

Jul 5, 2022, 8:01 PM ET

:popcorn:  he’s fun to watch. I think I like Stroud slightly more for the NFL today but it’s really close. 

:popcorn:  he’s fun to watch. I think I like Stroud slightly more for the NFL today but it’s really close. 

these two are going to get compared for years to come...I actually lean Bryce Young but could be swayed either way.

This kid has ice in his veins. Proven at HS and under massive pressure in College. He had a Montana-esque moment at Auburn when a camera caught him smirking in the huddle on 4th down driving for the tie under a minute.

Alabama junior QB Bryce Young completed 18-of-29 passes for 195 yards and five passing touchdowns, while rushing five times for 100 yards and another touchdown in a 55-0 shutout of Utah State on Saturday.​

Young (6'0/194) had his way with the overmatched Aggies rushing for 100 yards, which is more than Young had in his previous 23 combined games played. He was surgical in marching the Tide down the field and scoring on their first nine possessions before mercifully calling the dogs off. The reigning Heisman Trophy winner, Young doesn't have the prototypical size of your garden variety franchise quarterback. However his command of the pocket and passing acumen are superb while the results on the field speak for themselves. Young is battling Ohio State QB CJ Stroud, Florida QB Anthony Richardson and Kentucky QB Will Levis for the right to be the first signal caller taken in next the 2023 NFL Draft.
Sep 6, 2022, 3:55 PM ET

Alabama junior QB Bryce Young completed 27-of-39 passes for 213 yards and one touchdown, while rushing seven times for 38 yards in Saturday's 20-19 win over Texas.​

In their first close call of 2022, the Tide needed every last second of this one to put Texas away. On the Tide's final drive, Young completed five passes for 41-yards and scrambled for another 20 to set Alabama up for the eventual game-winning field goal. Young would throw for a score in this one, tossing a seven-yard touchdown pass to running back Jahmyr Gibbs in the fourth quarter to put the Tide up 17-16, but that was answered by a Longhorns field goal. While Young's final drive didn't end in a touchdown, his play to set up the game-winning field goal is what Heisman voters will remember at the end of the season. Now 2-0, Alabama will play host to Louisiana-Monroe next week in what should be a laugher.
Sep 10, 2022, 4:16 PM ET

Alabama junior QB Bryce Young (shoulder) completed 7-of-13 passes for 173 yards with one touchdown and one interception against Arkansas before leaving with an injury.​

Young (6'0/194) had Alabama firmly in control of the game at the time of his departure, with Arkansas' fortunes turning around the moment he got hurt. Young rolled out of the pocket toward the sideline and tried to fit a tight throw into a small window while on the run and landed on his throwing shoulder awkwardly. The defending Heisman Trophy winner went back out on the next series to try and make a go of it, but left the field after just one throw when it was clear that something was really wrong. Young is still one of the top two quarterbacks eligible for the 2023 NFL Draft, but this injury gives some rise to the sentiment that Young's lack of ideal size could be an issue at the next level.
Oct 1, 2022, 6:41 PM ET

Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski
Based on how things are shaping up, I believe four truly elite prospects are counted among 2023 NFL draft class.

CJ Stroud, Bryce Young, Will Anderson Jr. & Jalen Carter.

A drop-off occurs after that point.
Though I will argue Olu Fashanu can work his way into that group.
------------------------------------------------
Steelers Depot 37-20e3.png1f983.png
@Steelersdepot
Wow, what an extended play TD
-----------------------------
Big time Young play

Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski
Based on how things are shaping up, I believe four truly elite prospects are counted among 2023 NFL draft class.

CJ Stroud, Bryce Young, Will Anderson Jr. & Jalen Carter.

A drop-off occurs after that point.
Though I will argue Olu Fashanu can work his way into that group.
------------------------------------------------
Steelers Depot View attachment 3121View attachment 3122
@Steelersdepot
Wow, what an extended play TD
-----------------------------
Big time Young play

Big time play because #54 got away with a big time hold.

NFL Rookie Watch@NFLRookieWatxh

Only QB in Alabama history to have 3,000+ passing yards in back-to-back seasons:
Bryce Young
The Crimson Tide QB is currently tied as the favorite to go first overall in the NFL Draft 1f440.png

Lions fans rooting guide:
  • LAR - must lose out
  • CHI - need to win 2 more
  • DEN - need to win 2 more
  • ARI, CAR, NO - win 1 more
Tiebreaker in the tankathon is SOS and the math gets a little complicated with 4 games remaining.

The above puts the Stafford pick solidly at #2 but there are def scenarios out there where the Rams lose the tiebreaker to other 4 win teams - currently only CAR or DEN would be ahead of them in the event of a tie. But too early to tell, the numbers change every week and it’s too close to call.

Who am I kidding, Detroit needs a draft that is very heavily defensive. QB is only one option.

Insider Gives Thoughts On Which QB the Colts Probably Won't Draft

Excerpt:

Many experts and draft graders have been making their predictions that Indianapolis will take a new quarterback. With a collection of names that have been in that pool, there is one analyst who is close to the situation that believes general manager Chris Ballard will avoid one option.

NFL Media Draft Analyst Lance Zierlein is a name that is highly trusted in the drafting community, making great predictions and providing vital information to help fans and outside analysts better understand where certain teams are leaning. He also happens to be close to Ballard.

On his show, “The Bench with John and Lance," Zierlein gets into a discussion about the Colts and college quarterback sensation Bryce Young. What he says is very interesting in response to co-host John Granato bringing up the Colts trading future first-rounders for Young:

“What’s crazy is the guy (Ballard) who is one of my mentors in scouting, who hates small players, would move up for the guy who would be the smallest quarterback in the league in almost three decades,” Zierlein said.

This is a very reliable source who is about as close as you can be to Ballard, who says it's unlikely that he would like the idea of Young at quarterback for the Colts.

Ballard has brought up that smaller players aren’t his forte, and it’s easy to see the discrepancy in Young at 6’0” and only 194 pounds, who may measure even smaller at the NFL Scouting Combine in February. Whereas C.J. Stroud and Will Levis are both 6’3” and north of 215 pounds (Stroud 218 and Levis 232).

Zierlein also mentioned near the end that it will depend on how much or little Colts owner Jim Irsay gets involved and makes the decisions.

At the end of the day, will Young’s stature truly matter that much to Ballard? It’s without question that Young has the skillset and talent to play at the NFL level, but it’s been starting to swirl that the Colts may be in the Stroud/Levis sweepstakes.

NFL Rookie Watch
@NFLRookieWatxh
Bryce Young is the current favorite to be the first overall pick in the NFL Draft.
If Young is to go first overall, he would be the first player from Alabama in common draft era history to do so 1f440.png
-------------------------
Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski
Are we sooo sure that Bryce Young is QB1 if the Colts trade up to that top spot??? CJ Stroud and Will Levis seem like better bets if a trade does occur.

NFL Rookie Watch
@NFLRookieWatxh
Bryce Young is the current favorite to be the first overall pick in the NFL Draft.
If Young is to go first overall, he would be the first player from Alabama in common draft era history to do so View attachment 3399
Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski
Are we sooo sure that Bryce Young is QB1 if the Colts trade up to that top spot??? CJ Stroud and Will Levis seem like better bets if a trade does occur.

The fact Alabama has never had an overall #1 is very surprising.

NFL Rookie Watch
@NFLRookieWatxh
If Young is to go first overall, he would be the first player from Alabama in common draft era history to do so View attachment 3399
Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski

I had to make sure I read that right. That’s hard to believe.

NFL Rookie Watch
@NFLRookieWatxh
Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski

Not by the NFL but Joe Namath was the first pick in the 1965 AFL draft.
The AFL would turn into the NFL's AFC conference a few years later.
'Technically' Namath was the first pick of the 1965 draft by a team who would join the NFL.
-----------------------------------------------------
1965 American Football League draft

Round one​

PickTeamPlayerPositionCollege
1​
New York JetsJoe NamathQuarterbackAlabama

NFL Rookie Watch
@NFLRookieWatxh
Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski

Not by the NFL but Joe Namath was the first pick in the 1965 AFL draft.
The AFL would turn into the NFL's AFC conference a few years later.
'Technically' Namath was the first pick of the 1965 draft by a team who would join the NFL.
-----------------------------------------------------
1965 American Football League draft

Round one​

PickTeamPlayerPositionCollege
1​
New York JetsJoe NamathQuarterbackAlabama
Yeah, that doesn't count. He was drafted 12th in the NFL draft.

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
ESPN’s Todd McShay said he believes Bryce Young will be the “Steph Curry” of the NFL.

The Alabama QB is currently the favorite to be the first overall pick in the NFL Draft 👀

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
Bryce Young is reportedly “working” with a nutritionist to attempt to get up to 210 pounds.

Young’s size has been one of the main concerns with him as a prospect.

The Alabama QB is currently listed at 194 pounds 👀

I know this may seem silly but based on Kyler Murray struggles last year I would think 5'10 !and 6'0 would be major.
Russell Wilson is 5'11 but was 215 lb when drafted. I think there are more concerns with his weight. But he is still young. I would think whoever drafts him would put him with a personnel trainer and a dietary program to gain weight.
Yes, Russ was built like a running back. Young is built like a slot receiver.

I know this may seem silly but based on Kyler Murray struggles last year I would think 5'10 !and 6'0 would be major.
Russell Wilson is 5'11 but was 215 lb when drafted. I think there are more concerns with his weight. But he is still young. I would think whoever drafts him would put him with a personnel trainer and a dietary program to gain weight.
Lol True enough. 👍 I'm just wondering if he'll be able to gain muscle while playing.

I can personally attest that adding like 20 LBs of weight is the easiest thing to do.
:oldunsure:

Russell Wilson is 5'11 but was 215 lb when drafted. I think there are more concerns with his weight. But he is still young. I would think whoever drafts him would put him with a personnel trainer and a dietary program to gain weight
I am sure you are right, and I am sure he's been on one for years.

He's been playing at Alabama, home of the 260 lb linebacker.

I am sure they have a spectacular nutritional program, and the fact that he needs to still avoid shower drains is a major concern.

Russell Wilson is 5'11 but was 215 lb when drafted. I think there are more concerns with his weight. But he is still young. I would think whoever drafts him would put him with a personnel trainer and a dietary program to gain weight
I am sure you are right, and I am sure he's been on one for years.

He's been playing at Alabama, home of the 260 lb linebacker.

I am sure they have a spectacular nutritional program, and the fact that he needs to still avoid shower drains is a major concern.
😂

I wouldn't be surprised if Bama has a better program than some NFL teams...

But he doesn't have to go to class. He can devote more time to his craft including gaining muscle. At least in theory.

But he doesn't have to go to class. He can devote more time to his craft including gaining muscle. At least in theory.
Go to class. That’s adorable.

Users who are viewing this thread