What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Caleb Williams, CHI (1 Viewer)

Anyway. I’m off topic. There just seem to be a lot of my fellow Bucs’ fans hoping to tank for Caleb. Just doesn’t seem as much of a sure thing when you look at history.

Did they really tank though? Peyton got hurt. I don't think it was their intention before the season started. Maybe later on in the year?
I think they had the tank mentality long before the season started. I am 100% certain the Colts understood the severity of Manning's neck injury long before his surgery in May. Signing 39 year old Kerry Collins doesn't strike me as a "Let's all rally and make a surprise playoff run!" move to me.
Honestly couldn’t remember the timeline and was too lazy to look it up. And even so, did it actually work for the Colts? He had one great year and one good year. Then retired. One AFC Championship game I think. That’s it.

My guess is if they had a chance to do it again they trade that pick and try to win another with Peyton. Instead, Denver got 2. Hindsight I guess.
I think your memory is a bit off.

They went 53-33 with four playoff appearances in 5 full seasons, going 4-4 with a Championship game appearance. He had half of one down year, otherwise he was amazing. Even as a rookie he was pretty incredible. He was 29 when he retired, and it was completely out of the blue and entirely unknowable when he was drafted. I don't think you can use the retirement as an argument for it being a failure. Luck was a massive success.

Anyway. I’m off topic. There just seem to be a lot of my fellow Bucs’ fans hoping to tank for Caleb. Just doesn’t seem as much of a sure thing when you look at history.
There isn't a lot of Williams (or Maye) news to talk about so speculating on the value of tanking to get a, potential, decade long starting QB seems as valid as anything.

:2cents:

I can't stand ZeroU nor USC so this guy is the double-suq for me, but man.... he can ball. I get the Mahomes comps. Sure, he's got a long way to go, but there are flashes.

I can't stand ZeroU nor USC so this guy is the double-suq for me, but man.... he can ball. I get the Mahomes comps. Sure, he's got a long way to go, but there are flashes.

Cowherd is trying to argue that he’s better right now than 75% of NFL Quarterbacks. I’m a USC homer and even I think that is an absolutely ridiculous statement. I’m actually worried about him taking a step back this year. But when he was a kid he said he wanted to win two Heismans and he’s already half way there, so who knows.

Kid is a human highlight reel, every game he makes several throws that seem impossible. And then his scrambling and ability to extend plays. Arizona has decided to play me at quarterback to ensure they get that top pick.

Kid is a human highlight reel, every game he makes several throws that seem impossible. And then his scrambling and ability to extend plays. Arizona has decided to play me at quarterback to ensure they get that top pick.
Arizona may need to look elsewhere when Caleb tells them he won't play for them.

Arizona may need to look elsewhere when Caleb tells them he won't play for them.
There are some rumblings about Caleb that would make that seem plausible.

Rumblings

5 NFL teams Caleb would play for
------------------------------------------------
Says he'll return to USC instead of coming out next year because he came make more money and then he can choose which teams' that he'd play for.
It should be noted this is an unsourced social media rumor.
Plus I don't buy it - I'm sure he realizes that if he returns, he's only going to jeopardize his draft spot if he gets hurt or has a down year.

And there would be no reason for him to put that out there. Not to mention he most certainly would not make more money returning to USC.

And there would be no reason for him to put that out there. Not to mention he most certainly would not make more money returning to USC.
I don't know about that. He will make ~ $6.9M in year 1 in the NFL as the #1 pick. USC alums and consortiums could easily pay him that if they win a Nat Champ. The real problem is it delays his second NFL contract by a year. And that number is gonna be > $50M/year if he's a top 5 QB.

I don't know about that. He will make ~ $6.9M in year 1 in the NFL as the #1 pick. USC alums and consortiums could easily pay him that if they win a Nat Champ. The real problem is it delays his second NFL contract by a year. And that number is gonna be > $50M/year if he's a top 5 QB.
Bryce Young’s signing bonus was just shy of $25M.

Looked very mortal in game against Notre Dame. Kind of reminds me of the hype Bryce Young got before he was drafted. I know Superflex drafters are salivating over Williams, but is it warranted in start 1QB leagues?

SPLITSCMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG
This Game233762.21995.41321100.0

Drake Maye could go #1 over Williams. I'm in complete agreement with Orlovsky.
If a GM passes on Caleb Williams for any other QB, that GM should be fired immediately. He's the best QB prospect in a very very long time.
If by "a very long time" you mean Joe Burrow in 2020.

Would not draft him. Physical skills? Sure. Leadership skills extremely suspect.

Has all the physical tools to be an elite guy. Sit down interviews at combine are gonna be big for this kid. Draft Day movie comes to mind with him. Did his teammates go to his birthday party or did they skip it?

This is about as aggressive as Ian Rapoport ever gets. Wow.

I could not agree with this more...being an NFL QB is an all-encompassing position now...it is the most demanding position in pro sports IMO...physically, mentally and attitude-wise you are always under the microscope and if you are not good in all three areas you might not reach your peak and you have a chance to be a distraction...the question with Williams is this just a maturity issue he can grow out of or is he a diva...no doubt the talent is there and he will be either the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft...in today's NFL you just can't pass on this talent but if he can't handle being the face-of-the-franchise you are going to have issues that will affect the team...as a Patriot fan who would love to see a talent like this lead them into the post-BB era I would also have legit concerns whether he could handle the media and expectations of this market...would be a fascinating dynamic and I hope they do get the chance to draft him and watch things unfold.

Last edited:
This is about as aggressive as Ian Rapoport ever gets. Wow.

Although we would love to be able to compare a college QB to a 3.5 year NFL starter from a mental professional standpoint it just seems unfair. Should he have attended press conference? Absolutely. Is it a red flag? Absolutely. Is it the moment to conclude he can't ever be a legit NFL QB? Nope.

Regressed. If you’re Chicago, are you sure you are getting better than Justin Fields?
If the 🐻 keep the #1, the real question is Maye vs Caleb. But watch them take Harrison #1 and penix (or Daniels) with their own pick if it’s top 5.

Drake Maye could go #1 over Williams. I'm in complete agreement with Orlovsky.
If a GM passes on Caleb Williams for any other QB, that GM should be fired immediately. He's the best QB prospect in a very very long time.
If by "a very long time" you mean Joe Burrow in 2020.

Would not draft him. Physical skills? Sure. Leadership skills extremely suspect.
As a prospect, Trevor was better than Joe. For raw talent Caleb is better than the last couple years but he’s far from the best in a very long time.

Joe and Caleb are prime examples of how much the final season in college matters.

Tell me again why he left Oklahoma. It's not like he left a bad football school.

I’m pretty sure it was a mutual decision between him and Lincoln Riley to go to USC. Alex Grinch followed them too and he was an overrated defensive coordinator and they fired him. That had to sting for Riley as I bet he was forced to fire his friend as the fall guy for their horrible defense.

I have relished every loss they had and let’s just say karma is a you know what. But after a brutal losing 6-7 OU season last year we have moved on and I think we are better off without all of them. Coach Venebles is a lot more genuine of a person and 10 times the defensive coach.

I get this weird feeling that Riley is Kliff Kingsbury 2.0.

I believe all of this has contributed to Caleb being quite immature as he has nobody grooming him and mentoring him mentally.

Having said all that he has all the physical ability in the world. He was the top QB in his HS class and has shown it on the field time and time again. I worry about the mental aspect in the NFL.

I got a feeling that he will be a Patriot. I hope for Pats fans they don’t try to keep him and Riley together though. He needs a Bill Belichick to groom him mentally.

Tell me again why he left Oklahoma. It's not like he left a bad football school.

I’m pretty sure it was a mutual decision between him and Lincoln Riley to go to USC. Alex Grinch followed them too and he was an overrated defensive coordinator and they fired him. That had to sting for Riley as I bet he was forced to fire his friend as the fall guy for their horrible defense.

I have relished every loss they had and let’s just say karma is a you know what. But after a brutal losing 6-7 OU season last year we have moved on and I think we are better off without all of them. Coach Venebles is a lot more genuine of a person and 10 times the defensive coach.

I get this weird feeling that Riley is Kliff Kingsbury 2.0.

I believe all of this has contributed to Caleb being quite immature as he has nobody grooming him and mentoring him mentally.

Having said all that he has all the physical ability in the world. He was the top QB in his HS class and has shown it on the field time and time again. I worry about the mental aspect in the NFL.

I got a feeling that he will be a Patriot. I hope for Pats fans they don’t try to keep him and Riley together though. He needs a Bill Belichick to groom him mentally.

Agreed with everything but the BB part...no way that would work...BB has totally destroyed Mac...he could not have done a better job doing it if he tried.

Last edited:
I saw a few folks talk about the Burrow comparison on Twitter saying it wasn't fair to compare to a 4 year NFL veteran.

We're talking about knowing you should not bail on maybe the final press conference. Not understanding NFL zone blitz schemes.

Users who are viewing this thread