What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Case Keenum, HOU (1 Viewer)

I am sure there are some but off the top of my head I can't remember a more impressive first two games for a undrafted QB. This guy looks every bit the part of a legit NFL starter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, Nick Foles, etc. There are lots of below average QBs that can produce with limited opportunities. I'll be very surprised if Keenum ever amounts to anything of substance.
Sure. I'm not even completely sold on him yet. This week's game against the Colts will tell a lot.
It did. Dude is legit.

If the Texans are smart, he will start the rest of the year.

:lol: at all the fail going on in this thread. The first few pages are quite entertaining as I get blasted by pseudo sharks about a player they know nothing about.

Everything I have seen so far this season tells me Case will succeed. Nothing to do with Case himself, but rather simply the looming 'Get on the Case' Free Agent advice from CBS and elsewhere.

Just because it seems so unlikely, such an impossible task...Case will look good vs KC, in probably a losing effort, yet still secure the starting job.

Nothing but pure gut instinct: 305 yards passing, 2 Pa TDs, 2 INTs, 25 yards rushing. One of the PaTDs comes in garbage time.

KC wins 31 to 20.

Going forward, Case plays like a B+ guy, flashes of brilliance. He's your starter in 2014 for the Texans, saving a QB Draft pick in the first two rounds.

Schaub's time is over.

If only because I missed the boat on Keenum in every league I am in...this is what will happen. Mark my words.
Pardon me, sir but might I bother you for a particular set of lottery numbers?

Two starts against two very good teams and the obvious appearance of the intangible things you just can not put into a stat box. This man looks like a starter in every way.§

:sleep:

you folks sleeping on Case, talking about a QB you know little about is always great schtick in the Shark Pool.
Weren't you the one that said a couple weeks back that he injured his arm his senior year of college?
Not sure who you talking bout...I think I said he got injured in college and that his arm is stronger post injury. It's true. Dude has been pushing more weight than Colombia in the gym and much better deep ball than Schaub.
A lot of it is just instinct and what I see being a pseudo scout. His arm is a helluvalot stronger than Schaub's. Remember he was hurt his senior year at UH. His arm has healed wonderfully and stronger than ever. Most of the scouting on him is done pre injury UH before he really developed. Just my 2 pence. Worthy gamble in dynasty/keeper leagues and brings hope to Texans fans.
That's what I'm referring to, but it sure seemed like you were implying he injured his arm his senior year at UH.
Busted

Bloom compared him to Ryan Fitzpatrick on one of the podcasts this week. That is a little bit scary if you're thinking of starting him in any matchups down the stretch.

He won me highest total last week. I'll roll the dice again with the Keenum to Andre train. Buying AJ80 cheap was :moneybag:

Bloom compared him to Ryan Fitzpatrick on one of the podcasts this week. That is a little bit scary if you're thinking of starting him in any matchups down the stretch.
I could see it to some degree... he's a chucker. Which will mean some terrible games, and for fantasy, dangerous ones if you have a strong INT penalty. But also means aggression and perhaps at times better for fantasy than reality. But he is a playmaker. Has enough mobility to buy time to chuck it downfield. When you have the WRs that HOU does, it's a nice recipe.

R Fitz is a chucker. Does some just some ####. But he also had some nice games along the way, and honestly, doesnt seem to have the raw talent/ability not to mention the mobility of Keenum. At least from my limited viewing of him.

Brett Farve is of the same mold. With tremendous physical skills, of course.

Keenum is likely somewhere in the middle. If he's a bit more Favre, will be a very nice QB and really good for deeper / two QB leagues. If he's more Fitz, he can still be viable for 2QB leagues and will win some games, if he gets hot at the right time some championships even for some... but he will lose games and drive you nuts too.

Grabbed him up in hopes he becomes something in dynasty...also to block a guy that had rodgers from grabbing him. He had to take carson palmer instead.

Big test today. Cardinals D IMO is the quickest in the league. If he performs like he has thru 2 games, I'll be highly impressed.

Any chance he is the QB of the future for Houston? The fantasy numbers are certainly there right now but the Texans haven't been able to pull out a win in any of the three starts. Admittedly two of those teams are the Chiefs and Colts, so it may be deceiving but I figure it is worth asking. Can Keenum be a legit starting QB in the NFL?

Any chance he is the QB of the future for Houston? The fantasy numbers are certainly there right now but the Texans haven't been able to pull out a win in any of the three starts. Admittedly two of those teams are the Chiefs and Colts, so it may be deceiving but I figure it is worth asking. Can Keenum be a legit starting QB in the NFL?
The stats are certainly there. he should be competitive for the all rookie team. Maybe not OROY, but maybe if he keeps this up.

The problem Keenum is going to have the rest of the season is the oline is blocking horribly, he's under a ton of pressure. Couple that with no Foster and Tate looking like a slow plodder with those cracked ribs, and the offensive is completely one dimensional. Dennison's playcalling isn't helping things as there rarely appears to be a hot read outlet, and he insists on rollouts and 7 step drops when the defense is blitzing like crazy.

Good post above....where are the blitz beaters? Right side of the OL is a sieve and Duane Brown and Wade Smith arent setting the world on fire either....kids doing a good job all things considered

With the above considered, wouldn't it make sense for the team to address line next year and roll with Case?

With the above considered, wouldn't it make sense for the team to address line next year and roll with Case?
I think we'll have a better idea at the end of the season. If he keeps playing like this, then probably yes.

Wouldn't it largely depend on what they have in front of them at the draft?

I really like what Keenum has shown but, with their record, can they afford to pass on a top QB if one happened to be sitting there staring them in the face?

Definitely not. If they get a top 10 pick, it should probably be either a QB or a tackle.
Yeah, I agree. Man, what a disappointing season. This was really going to be the year. All the players coming back, the new legit WR, the veteran leadership of a guy like Ed Reed. I really expected by this point for them to be a 1 or 2 loss team that was right in the thick of it.

Wouldn't it largely depend on what they have in front of them at the draft? I really like what Keenum has shown but, with their record, can they afford to pass on a top QB if one happened to be sitting there staring them in the face?
Aside from winning which is a team issue, what does case need to show over the next two months?

Wouldn't it largely depend on what they have in front of them at the draft? I really like what Keenum has shown but, with their record, can they afford to pass on a top QB if one happened to be sitting there staring them in the face?
The record is not Keenum's fault, since he took over he has lost 3 games. Two of them you could say were on the FG Kicker Bullock who missed 3 FG's in the game to the Colts and they lost by 3 points, and yesterday he had another kick blocked and they lost by 3 points. If he had a reliable kicker that record would be better imo

Aside from winning which is a team issue, what does case need to show over the next two months?
You know, I really think he has shown well. I like everything I have seen. I was just asking the question from the stance of "Would the local Houston fanbase/ownership,etc feel compelled to take a 'franchise QB'?" What is the pulse on the fans down there? What does ownership say? Just things that I have no idea of, not being in that area to soak it up on a daily basis.

The record is not Keenum's fault, since he took over he has lost 3 games. Two of them you could say were on the FG Kicker Bullock who missed 3 FG's in the game to the Colts and they lost by 3 points, and yesterday he had another kick blocked and they lost by 3 points. If he had a reliable kicker that record would be better imo
I agree completely. I like what I've seen from him. I just don't know (i have no knowledge of) how the city and fans and ownership down there tlak and feel about the need of getting a name, franchise potential QB if it comes available.

Personally, I like keenum and would give the chance if the plays out the rest of the year as he ahs these past few games. I would give that chance. But are the owner and fans kind of feeling tired or compelled to do something seeing how they have lived through the Shaub era and it really hasn't panned out? That's what I am asking.

Several things imo

First he needs to show he can produce an entire game. All three games he has been great the first half, but bad the second half. A big part of that is how the opposing Defenses are blitzing more as the game goes on and the offensive line is not helping. Keenum needs to put together some complete games and part of that is recognizing the defense.

He needs to win. For as much as some of us like what we see at some point all QB's have to win to keep a job

He needs to continue to produce at a high level. Against three very good Defenses he has thrown for 822 yards, 7 TD's, 0 INT's, and has a passer rating of 105.1. That is outstanding to start a career. He needs to show that he can continue to do this to be the QB of the future. Great start and he is passing the audition now but he needs to continue doing this

He needs to protect the football. He's had two costly fumbles in 3 games and that needs to improve but he needs to continue not throwing INT's

imo

I agree completely. I like what I've seen from him. I just don't know (i have no knowledge of) how the city and fans and ownership down there tlak and feel about the need of getting a name, franchise potential QB if it comes available.

Personally, I like keenum and would give the chance if the plays out the rest of the year as he ahs these past few games. I would give that chance. But are the owner and fans kind of feeling tired or compelled to do something seeing how they have lived through the Shaub era and it really hasn't panned out? That's what I am asking.
From what I have heard and seen the fans know that he has only started 3 games in his career and has several things working against him now

Offensive Line

Running Back health

Poor Kicking

Coaching situation

Those things are out of his control. And for such a disappointing season he has been a very bright spot on this team for the fans and a relief from Matt Schaub. I think that if he were a first round draft pick that the team had invested much no one would questioning his future today but the reality is to keep the job he needs to continue to overcome all of this and continue shining.

You know, I really think he has shown well. I like everything I have seen. I was just asking the question from the stance of "Would the local Houston fanbase/ownership,etc feel compelled to take a 'franchise QB'?" What is the pulse on the fans down there? What does ownership say? Just things that I have no idea of, not being in that area to soak it up on a daily basis.
I'm generally opposed to any time a team feels they must "take a franchise qb." Take the best player available for your team. From what I can tell without being local or following the team closely, the only reason case wouldn't be seen as a potential franchise qb is pedigree.

moviedude25 said:
Shutout said:
moviedude25 said:
Shutout said:

From what I have heard and seen the fans know that he has only started 3 games in his career and has several things working against him now

Offensive Line

Running Back health

Poor Kicking

Coaching situation

Those things are out of his control. And for such a disappointing season he has been a very bright spot on this team for the fans and a relief from Matt Schaub. I think that if he were a first round draft pick that the team had invested much no one would questioning his future today but the reality is to keep the job he needs to continue to overcome all of this and continue shining.
Why is it that Schaub didn't get the same slack?

moviedude25 said:
Shutout said:
moviedude25 said:
Shutout said:

Offensive Line

Running Back health

Poor Kicking

Coaching situation

I'm guessing because Shaub basically cost his team three games and Keenum hasn't. Honest answer: I think sometimes people just get tired of spinning their wheels and people have the sense that Shaub will never progress from where he is. THey can look at Keenum and say "If we had our RBs, if we had our coaches, we might do it. We are close. We are hanging in there and losing to very good teams/defenses." The look at Shaub and say "more of the same. I'm over it. Next."

moviedude25 said:
Shutout said:
moviedude25 said:
Shutout said:

Offensive Line

Running Back health

Poor Kicking

Coaching situation

I'm guessing because Shaub basically cost his team three games and Keenum hasn't. Honest answer: I think sometimes people just get tired of spinning their wheels and people have the sense that Shaub will never progress from where he is. THey can look at Keenum and say "If we had our RBs, if we had our coaches, we might do it. We are close. We are hanging in there and losing to very good teams/defenses." The look at Shaub and say "more of the same. I'm over it. Next."
Yes, much of the view of the two is colored by built up frustration.

If Schaub had the exact same games, play for play, that Keenum did, people would be killing him as a big reason the Texans lost those games. Not saying the frustration isn't warranted... Schaub had mistakes that not just lost games, but killed the team's psyche.

There's also a little bit that is just forgiving a younger player some mistakes while he grows. But I'd say that's secondary to the rest.

moviedude25 said:
Shutout said:
moviedude25 said:
Shutout said:
I agree completely. I like what I've seen from him. I just don't know (i have no knowledge of) how the city and fans and ownership down there tlak and feel about the need of getting a name, franchise potential QB if it comes available.Personally, I like keenum and would give the chance if the plays out the rest of the year as he ahs these past few games. I would give that chance. But are the owner and fans kind of feeling tired or compelled to do something seeing how they have lived through the Shaub era and it really hasn't panned out? That's what I am asking.

Offensive Line

Running Back health

Poor Kicking

Coaching situation

Yes, much of the view of the two is colored by built up frustration.

If Schaub had the exact same games, play for play, that Keenum did, people would be killing him as a big reason the Texans lost those games. Not saying the frustration isn't warranted... Schaub had mistakes that not just lost games, but killed the team's psyche.

There's also a little bit that is just forgiving a younger player some mistakes while he grows. But I'd say that's secondary to the rest.
That we're even asking whether a 10 year vet should get the same slack as an undrafted rookie who has now started three games speaks volumes.

moviedude25 said:
Shutout said:
moviedude25 said:
Shutout said:

Offensive Line

Running Back health

Poor Kicking

Coaching situation

Keenum hasn't even thrown a pick yet, Schaub set the record for pick6s in a row. Andre has 5 TDs from Keenum, Schaub didn't get him a single one this year, and didn't even get him 5 the entire last season. Keenum can get out of the pocket and extend a play, Schaub immediately goes to the fetal position. Keenum is getting slack because he isn't a 10 year vet who was singlehandledly losing games.

moviedude25 said:
Shutout said:
moviedude25 said:
Shutout said:

Offensive Line

Running Back health

Poor Kicking

Coaching situation

Keenum hasn't even thrown a pick yet, Schaub set the record for pick6s in a row. Andre has 5 TDs from Keenum, Schaub didn't get him a single one this year, and didn't even get him 5 the entire last season. Keenum can get out of the pocket and extend a play, Schaub immediately goes to the fetal position. Keenum is getting slack because he isn't a 10 year vet who was singlehandledly losing games.
Importan aspect here because both AJ and Hopkins should be able to benefit from this. I think we have already seen it in AJ's case.

Wouldn't it be kind of funny if AJ finally gets that elusive 10 TDs for the first time...with a rookie QB and in a year where they are a bad team?

I had no idea who this guy was until a month and half ago, I may be dazzled by the kool aid, but I love this guy. It has been a long time since I have been "wowed" by a young quarterbacks play. I think hes got it.

I had no idea who this guy was until a month and half ago, I may be dazzled by the kool aid, but I love this guy. It has been a long time since I have been "wowed" by a young quarterbacks play. I think hes got it.
It really does look like it .

ANd just to remind ourselves of what a fine line perception of "franchise QBS" is, think about this for a second:

Had they pulled off the upset in KC and held on to beat Indy and won yesterday (I know, big IF but they were in all three games and really had a lead in the Indy game), can you imagine what the chatter would be about Keenum right now.

Everyone would be talking about how he just has that "it" and he's a winner. In general, he would Russell Wilson from last year. Not the biggest of stats or stature but just gets it done.

ANd just to remind ourselves of what a fine line perception of "franchise QBS" is, think about this for a second:

Had they pulled off the upset in KC and held on to beat Indy and won yesterday (I know, big IF but they were in all three games and really had a lead in the Indy game), can you imagine what the chatter would be about Keenum right now.

Everyone would be talking about how he just has that "it" and he's a winner. In general, he would Russell Wilson from last year. Not the biggest of stats or stature but just gets it done.
He could also be Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, or Matt Cassel after their first year of starting where the same kind of optimism existed.

For me it isn't about how much slack anyone gets, it is about evaluating their play objectively. Keenum has played well enough the Texans should give him the chance to grow and see what he can do the rest of the year. To date, there is nothing he's done that suggests yet that he will or should be the starter next year though, let alone an actual franchise QB.

I'm not anti-Keenum at all. But I think there is a lack of objectivity about him. Particularly in the local fan base. Sports radio right now is tough to listen to.

He could also be Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, or Matt Cassel after their first year of starting where the same kind of optimism existed.

For me it isn't about how much slack anyone gets, it is about evaluating their play objectively. Keenum has played well enough the Texans should give him the chance to grow and see what he can do the rest of the year. To date, there is nothing he's done that suggests yet that he will or should be the starter next year though, let alone an actual franchise QB.

I'm not anti-Keenum at all. But I think there is a lack of objectivity about him. Particularly in the local fan base. Sports radio right now is tough to listen to.
Are you basing this wholly on the outcomes of the games (3 losses) or on his play on the field? What about his play in particular leads you to believe he CAN'T be the guy long term?

Users who are viewing this thread