What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Daniel Jones, NYG (1 Viewer)

Jones can run and has a strong arm. Giants need to focus on WRs in next years draft. this is a glaring weakness
He also still makes poor decisions with the football, struggles to go through his reads (and doesn’t see open receivers) and has turned over the ball a bit much 3 TD, 2 Int).

They’re using Barkley a ton, which takes pressure off of Jones.

I’m not convinced the WRs are the issue - of course they could be improved, but having watched Jones earlier this year he’s got some fundamental flaws that I’m not sure can be fixed.

Jones can run and has a strong arm. Giants need to focus on WRs in next years draft. this is a glaring weakness
He also still makes poor decisions with the football, struggles to go through his reads (and doesn’t see open receivers) and has turned over the ball a bit much 3 TD, 2 Int).

I’m not convinced the WRs are the issue - of course they could be improved, but having watched Jones earlier this year he’s got some fundamental flaws that I’m not sure can be fixed.
2 turnovers in 5 games is a bit much? the int vs the cowboys was Sills falling in his route.

2 turnovers in 5 games is a bit much? the int vs the cowboys was Sills falling in his route.
They’re throwing less. His ratio is still bad.

If they threw more he’d have more picks. He’s had several wobbly ducks that should have been Ints.

If they threw more he’d have more picks. He’s had several wobbly ducks that should have been Ints.
he's got 5tds and a 4-1 record. baltimore leads the league in turnovers on D. tomorrow should be interesting.

He has the worst WR room in the NFL. They are almost never open or can't get on the field. Not making excuses because he has some flaws, but he's a much better option than a Trubisky, Mariota, Fields, etc. We were mentioning earlier in the thread, he probably would be better than Wilson on the Broncos right now. And sometimes he makes throws like these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhnS0TuDw-E.

He has the worst WR room in the NFL. They are almost never open or can't get on the field. Not making excuses because he has some flaws, but he's a much better option than a Trubisky, Mariota, Fields, etc. We were mentioning earlier in the thread, he probably would be better than Wilson on the Broncos right now. And sometimes he makes throws like these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhnS0TuDw-E.
I don’t disagree about his WRs. I don’t think he’s better than Gano right now though.

If the Giants are having to choose between paying Jones $30M for a year or Gano substantially less, they’d be smart to go with the cheaper option.

The Giants are doing a good job of hiding Jones’ warts through smart play calling & less reliance on his arm. He’s still largely the same dude he’s been. The results are better for the scheme he’s in.

he's got 5tds and a 4-1 record. baltimore leads the league in turnovers on D. tomorrow should be interesting.
2 RuTD from 1 game. 3 passing.

Ravens will be interesting for sure.

The metrics suggest the Giants should pass like crazy against Baltimore.

I’m curious if the Giants will attempt this, and if so, what the results will be.

Jones has heart I'll give him that. he has guts many others don't have. if they just gave him a supporting cast of quality WRs. Giants past regime should be brought up on charges of stupidity for bringing in Golladay. wtf were they thinking he wasn't even good in Deeetriot when he catch percentage was like 60th in the league or worse. how is he even a pro player I dont get it. he'd be the same useless dope in the USFL. why haven't the g-men cut him ? eat the money owed, dump him.good riddance.
Yes Toney just hasn't been a good fit, for whatever reasons.

I've been preaching it for years, Jones is much better than people think. He's tough, good runner, and has a cannon. He just has NOTHING at WR. Yes the offense is relying on Barkley (as they should) but if the Giants had signed AJB instead of Eagles, I think you'd see a very different offense, and much more QB friendly numbers of Jones.

I don’t disagree about his WRs. I don’t think he’s better than Gano right now though.

If the Giants are having to choose between paying Jones $30M for a year or Gano substantially less, they’d be smart to go with the cheaper option.
Why are the Giants choosing between their QB and their Kicker?
:lol:

typo - Geno, not Gano.

Gaknow?
Oh - I should have figured that out I guess. Geno is about 32/33 years old. I don’t think he’s a realistic option for the Giants.

Why are the Giants choosing between their QB and their Kicker?
:lol:

typo - Geno, not Gano.

Gaknow?
Oh - I should have figured that out I guess. Geno is about 32/33 years old. I don’t think he’s a realistic option for the Giants.
Could be a cheaper bridge to a solution though.

I’m curious if the Giants will attempt this, and if so, what the results will be.
nice win from Daniel and the football giants. Lamar had the turnover problems.

nice win from Daniel and the football giants. Lamar had the turnover problems.
I wouldn’t exactly put that win on Daniel Jones. He was consistently mediocre today, and if not for the penalty it would’ve been a game-winning interception for Baltimore.

Managed a good game today. That penalty saved him from being the reason for a L with that INT at the end. That’s exactly what he’s been a avoiding this year. That’s the difference. He was a turnover machine the past few seasons. It’s the coaching.

Daniel Jones completed 19-of-27 passes for 173 yards and two touchdowns in the Giants' 24-20, Week 6 win over the Ravens.

Jones didn't do anything special in this one, but the quarterback continues to limit turnovers while keeping the offense on schedule. His longest completions of the day came on two 18-yard passes, while his two touchdown passes came from five and eight yards out. Jones was limited to just six rushing yards on the day but entered the game as the third-leading rusher among quarterbacks. He continues to be a solid game manager, but nothing more, with one fantasy performance of 20+ points on the season. He's a solid QB2 in superflex leagues for Week 7 against the Jaguars.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Managed a good game today. That penalty saved him from being the reason for a L with that INT at the end. That’s exactly what he’s been a avoiding this year. That’s the difference. He was a turnover machine the past few seasons. It’s the coaching.
Yeah, I mean - he didn’t avoid it. He threw the game-losing pick.

That a penalty negated it was pretty fortunate.

I agree that coaching is winning them games. Also looking at GB Today, I’m not seeing them as a great team now, making the Giants win in England a little less impressive.

I can totally see why the Giants don’t want to re-sign Jones for $30M.

Imagine what they could do with a good QB. 💡

Last edited:

I agree that coaching is winning them games. Also looking at GB Today, I’m not seeing them as a great team now, making the Giants win in England a little less impressive.

Imagine what they could do with a good QB.
It was a penalty. Lamar probably threw the game-losing pick. Don't sleep on the Jets, that defense is pretty good.

It was a penalty. Lamar probably threw the game-losing pick. Don't sleep on the Jets, that defense is pretty good.
I’m not sure what the Jets have to do with the subject since the Giants were playing Baltimore.

Also, Daniel Jones is not very good.

I’m not sure what the Jets have to do with the subject since the Giants were playing Baltimore.

your post i quoted was dismissive of the Giants win against the packers, no? back to back wins against the the last two mvps from 5-1 Jones.

your post i quoted was dismissive of the Giants win against the packers, no? back to back wins against the the last two mvps from 5-1 Jones.
By the Giants, you mean.

Crediting Jones with those victories is preposterous. The guy played mediocre football at best.

HTH!

By the Giants, you mean.

Crediting Jones with those victories is preposterous. The guy played mediocre football at best.

HTH!
who is your guy the giants should get at QB? Tyrod is signed for next year. Current record would seem out of play of drafting a top one. I see Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Jimmy G, Bridgewater, Geno as FA next year.

By the Giants, you mean.

HTH!
who is your guy the giants should get at QB? Tyrod is signed for next year. Current record would seem out of play of drafting a top one. I see Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Jimmy G, Bridgewater, Geno as FA next year.
No idea, but I’m not seeing a Daniel Jones as the solution, and I don’t think Daboll does either.

He’s prone to the same mistakes he’s made the last several years. Granted he’s fumbling less, but that’s because they have Barkley back to run more.

So yeah, no idea who they should get. What they have isn’t the answer.

Daniel Jones completed 19-of-30 passes for 202 yards and one touchdown in the Giants’ 23-17, Week 7 win over the Jaguars. He also rushed 11 times for 107 yards and a touchdown.

Jones does it again, he finds a way. Playing within the confines of the offense, Jones was able to put together a nice day. Jones was effective when given time to make routine throws. His best throw of the day came on a deep touchdown to Darius Slayton on the Giants’ first drive. If Jones could have games like these every week he’d be a fantasy starter, but can we trust that?

- NBCSportsEDGE

Daniel Jones completed 27-of-44 passes for 341 yards and two interceptions in the Giants’ 31-18, Week 11 loss to the Lions, adding seven rushes for an additional 50 yards and a touchdown.​

Jones was by no means bad as evidenced by his 391 total yards, but with the Lions committed to stopping Saquon Barkley, he couldn’t become the super hero that Giants’ fans think he is. Despite his two bad interceptions, he should be commended on how he played the game as a whole, he did his job. In the running game he was able to take advantage of the defense committing to Barkley and he found open receivers often. Still, none of this turned into points when needed. Jones will have to be on point in Week 12 for a showdown with the Cowboys.
Nov 20, 2022, 5:02 PM ET

Daniel Jones completed 21-of-35 attempts for 228 yards and a touchdown in the Giants' 28-20, Week 12 loss to the Cowboys.​

Jones had a TD to Isaiah Hodgins called back due to an illegal man downfield penalty. It would have been a 17-yard score for Giants, who ultimately had to settle for a field goal on the drive. Jones was competitive in the first half and the Giants went into halftime with a 13-7 lead. However, the Cowboys picked it up in the second half and Jones was unable to keep up. He had a major missed opportunity on a 4th-and-1 play when he threw behind Saquon Barkley, robbing him of what would have been a solid catch-and-run play. Barkley was unable to secure the off-target pass, ending the Giants' drive. Under constant pressure in the second half, Jones was unable to find any success until the final drive of the game, which was essentially garbage time. He found Richie James for the final score of the game. Jones will be a QB2 against the Commanders in Week 13.
RELATED:
Nov 24, 2022, 8:17 PM ET

I think he put on full display that a better QB would have won yesterday. He was utterly terrible on critical plays, missing receivers or making poor decisions.

He is capable of high-level play, but consistency is just nonexistent.

I believe he's proved he is not going to be a part of their long-term plans. The look on Dabol's face after a couple of those awful plays said it all.

I think he put on full display that a better QB would have won yesterday. He was utterly terrible on critical plays, missing receivers or making poor decisions.

I believe he's proved he is not going to be a part of their long-term plans. The look on Dabol's face after a couple of those awful plays said it all.

He's a bridge to our next guy IMO. I do kind of chuckle at your first statement though. Only 1 QB has put up 30+ on Dallas this year (Rodgers in OT) and that's what would have been needed to win. Just looking at the snap counts on who was was playing OL, WR and in the secondary for the g-men. This wasn't a game they were gonna win with the talent deficiency.

edit: actually Fields put up 29 but they got blown out by 20.

Last edited:

He's a bridge to our next guy IMO. I do kind of chuckle at your first statement though. Only 1 QB has put up 30+ on Dallas this year (Rodgers in OT) and that's what would have been needed to win. Just looking at the snap counts on who was was playing OL and in the secondary for the g-men. This wasn't a game they were gonna win with the talent deficiency.

edit: actually Fields put up 29 but they got blown out by 20.
My point was the Daniel Jones is who he is. Coaching is why they have won so many games this year. And they are winning despite Jones deficiencies not because of them.

Daniel Jones completed 25-of-31 passes for 200 yards and one touchdown in the Giants' 20-20-, Week 13 tie against the Commanders, adding 13 carries for 71 additional yards.​

Jones was solid in this one early on, at one point completing 16-of-17 passes. A 55-yard pass to Darius Slayton in the second quarter would help set up a 13-yard rushing touchdown to give the Giants their first touchdown of the day, and he later found wide receiver Isaiah Hodgins on a six-yard touchdown to give the Giants a 20-13 lead heading into the fourth quarter. Jones unexpectedly led the Giants in rushing yards on the day, and ripped off a season-high 13 carries on the afternoon. While we shouldn't expect this kind of rushing upside from Jones on a weekly basis, Sunday marked the fifth time Jones rushed for 50+ yards this season. He will be a low-end QB2 next week against the Eagles.
Dec 4, 2022, 4:44 PM ET

Daniel Jones completed 21-of-32 passes for 160 yards in the Giants’ 20-12, Week 15 win over the Commanders, adding 10 carries for an additional 35 yards.

Jones was largely confined to short area work on a night the defense provided the spark, with rookie EDGE Kayvon Thibodeaux registered a strip sack scoop and score touchdown early in the second quarter for the first touchdown of the game. Jones and the Giants were able to control the game from there, with their lone touchdown drive coming on their subsequent possession towards the end of the first half, capped off by a Saquon Barkley plunge from three yards out. Multiple miscues by the Commanders forced only 54 pass yards from Jones in the second half, the most glaring of which was a fumble by opposing quarterback Taylor Heinicke in the red zone with only six minutes left to play. That said, the effort was enough to give the Giants a commanding 1.5-game lead over the Commanders, Lions, and Seahawks in the race for one of the final two playoff spots in the NFC with only three games left to play. The Giants travel to Minnesota to face the wizard-like Vikings in Week 16.
- NBCSportsEDGE

Imagine if he had better players around him. A true number one receiver. Players who could actually get separation on their routes. A 6'6" stud who could win 50/50 balls.
Combined with his running ability. Trust the process. They're coming.

Imagine if he had better players around him. A true number one receiver. Players who could actually get separation on their routes. A 6'6" stud who could win 50/50 balls.
I imagine he will be a back up the rest of his career after this season.

Giants COULD have traded for AJ Brown.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Giants view Daniel Jones and Saquon Barkley as "part of their future in 2023 and beyond."

It's no surprise that the Giants want Barkley back. After a few down seasons, Barkley has rebounded with 1,597 yards and 10 touchdowns through 15 weeks. The team has leaned on him all year and the results have been there. Jones will be a more divisive player in the offseason. He has generally been relegated to game-manager duties this year, throwing for 13 scores while averaging just 202 passing yards per game. On the other hand, the Giants' top receivers are Darius Slayton and Richie James, so it's hard to blame Jones for not posting video game numbers. Jones's fate could ultimately come down to how the team fairs in the playoffs. If New York makes some noise in the postseason, he will almost certainly be brought back on a multi-year deal or under the franchise tag.

- Ian Rapoport, Twitter
lol franchise tag...

from the article, found this tidbit interesting...

"......But Daboll also knew this: He needed to test Jones’ mental toughness.

So, when training camp began, he devised a plan. As one source close to the coach explained, Daboll purposely structured practice for Jones to fail and Taylor to succeed.

“He wanted Daniel Jones to deal with the adversity,” this source explained. “He wanted to see how he dealt with it on a daily basis. And he passed it with flying colors. So, I know he loves Daniel Jones.

“He loves Daniel Jones. He loves him.”

Practices are always scripted. Daboll would tell defensive coordinator Don “Wink” Martindale which plays he’d be running when Jones was in the game, this source explains, and had Martindale call defensive plays that’d intentionally work. And when Taylor entered? Exact opposite. Plays were scripted on both sides to set him up for success.

Jones did not flinch. Daboll was thrilled...."

from the article, found this tidbit interesting...

"......But Daboll also knew this: He needed to test Jones’ mental toughness.

So, when training camp began, he devised a plan. As one source close to the coach explained, Daboll purposely structured practice for Jones to fail and Taylor to succeed.

“He wanted Daniel Jones to deal with the adversity,” this source explained. “He wanted to see how he dealt with it on a daily basis. And he passed it with flying colors. So, I know he loves Daniel Jones.

“He loves Daniel Jones. He loves him.”

Practices are always scripted. Daboll would tell defensive coordinator Don “Wink” Martindale which plays he’d be running when Jones was in the game, this source explains, and had Martindale call defensive plays that’d intentionally work. And when Taylor entered? Exact opposite. Plays were scripted on both sides to set him up for success.

Jones did not flinch. Daboll was thrilled...."
that is amazing and first I have heard of it

The Athletic's Dan Duggan reports the Giants have run a "more conventional" passing offense in recent weeks as Daniel Jones has shown development.​

Duggan pointed out Jones has kept his eyes up and has been far more willing to throw into tight windows rather than tuck it and run like he has for most of his NFL career. Jones is still not taking downfield shots -- he has zero attempts of more than 20 yards in two of his past three outings -- but has been a more confident, accurate passer. "Even with the lack of deep shots, the coaching staff has shown more faith in Jones recently," Duggan said. "They’ve been running a more conventional passing offense rather than relying so heavily on bootlegs, and Jones has proven he’s capable of making good decisions and delivering accurate passes." Since Week 14, Jones is seventh among all NFL quarterbacks in completion rate over expected and sixth in EPA per drop back. His improved passing has made Richie James and Isaiah Hodgins somewhat reliable fantasy options in the season's final stretch.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Jan 3, 2023, 1:00 PM ET

I've been a fan of Jones from day one. He's taken a TON of heat...yet despite having the worst WR core in the NFL, he finished #10 in standard scoring leagues. That's ahead of Herbert, Rodgers, Wilson, and looking at PPG, just barely behind Dak, Murray, and Lamar. Well job Mr. Jones. I hope the Giants reward you with a contract and bring in some NFL talent at the WR position.

Users who are viewing this thread