What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Daniel Jones, NYG (2 Viewers)

I don’t think he ever actually graduated from “pumpkin”, it’s just that Daboll is the pumpkin whisperer.
Along those same lines, I do think Daboll and his staff let Jones do what he does best, and this may be a sign of his growth. Like I said if I’m a GM, I’d sure be reluctant to hand him a big contract but some QBs do take time to develop and then have steady careers. Jones ability to run, alone, makes him an attractive player in this new NFL. Heck, two slightly better athletes, but much further behind passers may end up in the Top 10 of the draft this year.

Heck, two slightly better athletes, but much further behind passers may end up in the Top 10 of the draft this year.
For sure. And one or both of Levis and Richardson could be out of football in a season or two.

Or they could be Josh Allen II & III

There’s a wide spectrum of outcomes there, but I do get your point.

I also think Jones mobility is an important weapon for this team, at least until they get much better weapons. Right now, Jones legs are arguably the biggest threat to opposing defenses.

Someone’s gonna offer Jones more than $25M.

You really think that? Who, exactly? Give us the teams you think will do so.

And if you're right, whoever does it, good luck!

Daniel Jones isn't going to the next level. He's made some progress, FINALLY, but the ceiling is near. It's not like that was his rookie year.

You really think he's gonna get offered "MORE THAN 25M"??? GLWT.
The trouble is, you being right about "the ceiling being near" and someone suggesting he'll get more than $25M are not mutually exclusive concepts. 15 QBs are making that (or more) right now and the market isn't softening.
Fair enough.

I would rather run the wildcat or sign Joe Namath than pay Daniel Jones 30 million.

There is often a disconnect in this type of scenario...you cannot just say let Jones go/don't pay him unless you also have a viable plan for his replacement...it is very easy to say he is not worth it/don't pay him but what is the succession plan that won't get the HC and GM fired in three years (and yes, paying him could get them fired as well)...I fully understand why the Giants did not pick up the 5th year option but that could not have backfired more...the perfect scenario is having him in Daboll's offense one more year without it costing big money...at that point you would feel very comfortable with what to do with him as well as adding another rookie QB in this draft as a potential plan B.

There is often a disconnect in this type of scenario...you cannot just say let Jones go/don't pay him unless you also have a viable plan for his replacement...it is very easy to say he is not worth it/don't pay him but what is the succession plan that won't get the HC and GM fired in three years (and yes, paying him could get them fired as well)...I fully understand why the Giants did not pick up the 5th year option but that could not have backfired more...the perfect scenario is having him in Daboll's offense one more year without it costing big money...at that point you would feel very comfortable with what to do with him as well as adding another rookie QB in this draft as a potential plan B.
It's telling that the Giants best success historically is when they ask Danei Jones to do nothing and the D and running game carry the team. Unless your D and running game is elite (Giants run game is excellent and the D should improve), it's hard to win in the playoffs. Jones best statistical year was this year and he threw 15 TDs. QBR is a nice stat but when you're not even throwing for 200 yards a game, you're a QB being hidden on O so you don't mess up the team. As for the "he had no talent around him" argument... he didn't have talent around him in Duke also and was terrible then. The really good coaches and QBs can elevate poor talent around them (see Brian Daboll or Eli Manning @ Ole Miss/his whole career); Jones has shown no ability to do that in college or the 5 years he's been a Giants QB.

I'm going to link the Brett Kollman clip from How Brian Daboll Saved the Giants to illustrate the masterful job Daboll/Kafka did engineering the offense and hiding Jones' flaws. However, the numbers indicate they either didn't trust him to do more complex stuff, or they knew he couldn't. His quote is amazing "If we're looking at a Top 10 receiver running wide open deep down the field, and a Bottom 10 receiver running wide open deep down the field guess what? They both get 0 yards if the QB doesn't pull the trigger. That's the problem here..."

Last edited:
I wouldn't say he was terrible at Duke. A quick check,in 3 years at Duke he had:
17 rushing TD's..1323 yds rushing...2 receiving TD's...8,201 yds passing...52 passing TD's.

The Giants don't have to pay anybody. it's not the worst thing in the world to rebuild; you have Tyrod Taylor making like $5.5 million for next year, they could draft a QB and start the 5-year cycle over again... hopefully using a guy with a higher ceiling (and no, I am NOT saying get Richardson). You'd hope the guy they'd draft would be able to develop better than Jones since we know Daboll is great at getting the most out of his QBs.

The Giants don't have to pay anybody. it's not the worst thing in the world to rebuild; you have Tyrod Taylor making like $5.5 million for next year, they could draft a QB and start the 5-year cycle over again... hopefully using a guy with a higher ceiling (and no, I am NOT saying get Richardson). You'd hope the guy they'd draft would be able to develop better than Jones since we know Daboll is great at getting the most out of his QBs.

Can you put some names to that plan?

That's the beauty of a plan outline: you don't need names. There is nothing vague and nebulous about "use Tyrod Taylor at QB in 2023 while you reload at QB because it's better than paying Daniel Jones $40 million dollars and it doesn't destroy your cap and force you to release other talented players".

Last edited:

That's the beauty of a plan outline: you don't need names. There is nothing vague and nebulous about "use Tyrod Taylor at QB in 2023 while you reload at QB because it's better than paying Daniel Jones $40 million dollars and it doesn't destroy your cap and force you to release other talented players".
Tyrod Taylor is 33 years, has never thrown for more than 20 TDs or had more than 3,035 yards in a season...that simply is not viable...the Giants are in a tough spot...they had a very good year and being in New York taking a step backwards is not going to fly unless the next big thing is already on the roster...their best bet maybe franchising Jones and drafting someone like Hooker in the second unless Daboll is a big fan of an available QB like Carr or Jimmy G.

Tyrod Taylor is 33 years, has never thrown for more than 20 TDs or had more than 3,035 yards in a season...that simply is not viable...the Giants are in a tough spot...they had a very good year and being in New York taking a step backwards is not going to fly unless the next big thing is already on the roster...their best bet maybe franchising Jones and drafting someone like Hooker in the second unless Daboll is a big fan of an available QB like Carr or Jimmy G.
Says who exactly? The giants should have been terrible this year, some people had them barely sneaking out four wins before the start of the season. They won a lot of close games, which statistically are a year to year crap shoot. Who outside of the crazy fans are expecting an improvement in year two of the new regime? A regression is not only likely, but should be expected.

What a //smart// team would do is know that they over achieved and cut dead weight that won't be there two years from now when the team is really ready to compete, while signing key pieces for that team who can gel during next year. That includes taking a shot on a later round qb who fits the system to replace Jones while /any/ low cost vet (such as Taylor) runs the offense. We just get to wait and see if the giants are smart or not.

Says who exactly? The giants should have been terrible this year, some people had them barely sneaking out four wins before the start of the season. They won a lot of close games, which statistically are a year to year crap shoot. Who outside of the crazy fans are expecting an improvement in year two of the new regime? A regression is not only likely, but should be expected.

What a //smart// team would do is know that they over achieved and cut dead weight that won't be there two years from now when the team is really ready to compete, while signing key pieces for that team who can gel during next year. That includes taking a shot on a later round qb who fits the system to replace Jones while /any/ low cost vet (such as Taylor) runs the offense. We just get to wait and see if the giants are smart or not.

Sorry but that is not how the NFL works (and 100% not in New York)...not close...the Giants took big strides forward this year...they still have a long way to go but they are headed in the right direction but the QB position looms large over their future...there is no way a first time HC and GM can simply go backwards for two years without a QB in place...the NFL does not work that way...I am not saying they should just give Jones a big contract, but they cannot go into next year with Tyrod Taylor as their QB...

There is often a disconnect in this type of scenario...you cannot just say let
Jones
go/don't pay him unless you also have a viable plan for his replacement...it is very easy to say he is not worth it/don't pay him but what is the succession plan that won't get the HC and GM fired in three years (and yes, paying him could get them fired as well)...I fully understand why the Giants did not pick up the 5th year option but that could not have backfired more...the perfect scenario is having him in Daboll's offense one more year without it costing big money...at that point you would feel very comfortable with what to do with him as well as adding another rookie QB in this draft as a potential plan B.
It's telling that the Giants best success historically is when they ask Danei
Jones
to do nothing and the D and running game carry the team. Unless your D and running game is elite (Giants run game is excellent and the D should improve), it's hard to win in the playoffs.
Jones
best statistical year was this year and he threw 15 TDs. QBR is a nice stat but when you're not even throwing for 200 yards a game, you're a QB being hidden on O so you don't mess up the team. As for the "he had no talent around him" argument... he didn't have talent around him in Duke also and was terrible then. The really good coaches and QBs can elevate poor talent around them (see Brian Daboll or Eli Manning @ Ole Miss/his whole career);
Jones
has shown no ability to do that in college or the 5 years he's been a Giants QB.

I'm going to link the Brett Kollman clip from How Brian Daboll Saved the Giantsto illustrate the masterful job Daboll/Kafka did engineering the offense and hiding
Jones
' flaws. However, the numbers indicate they either didn't trust him to do more complex stuff, or they knew he couldn't. His quote is amazing "If we're looking at a Top 10 receiver running wide open deep down the field, and a Bottom 10 receiver running wide open deep down the field guess what? They both get 0 yards if the QB doesn't pull the trigger. That's the problem here..."

I wouldn't say he was terrible at Duke. A quick check,in 3 years at Duke he had:
17 rushing TD's..1323 yds rushing...2 receiving TD's...8,201 yds passing...52 passing TD's.
He also threw for 3,000 yards and 24 TD's in just 12 starts as a rookie.
Yes I'm aware of the turnovers

@Yenrub - He also had the pocket awareness of a gnat and could barely progress off his 1st read his rookie year :<_<: . Again, his 1st start was Week 3 of the 2019 NFL season after being the #6 pick in the draft and It's taken him four years to get to where he is now... which is still not a credible NFL QB. Is he close? Sure, but he's not there yet and it's a legitimate question if he can get there. It can't be underestimated the fantastic job Daboll/Mike Kafka did with Daniel Jones, and I respect them wanting to bring him back to hopefully progress for another year. However, you don't want to rob Peter to pay Paul; pay Jones at such a high cost that you lose Saquon Barkley, Julian Love, and mess up the planned extensions for Xavier McKinney, Dexter Lawrence, etc.

@Boston - It absolutely is and Tyrod Taylor's contract was specifically structured with possibly being the QB in 2023. Why, if Daboll is great with QBs, do you suddenly not trust him with T-Mobile or another young QB? I think that's really odd Giants supposedly can't rebuild and go 6-11/5/12 for a year in order to improve your team via the draft while not destroying your cap. The NFL has worked that way for a long time; teams don't want to spend and tank (Houston) or start nosetailing by midseason and never recover (Bears, Panthers, Colts, Falcons, etc.)

The Giants literally lost a good corner last year in James Bradberry because they couldn't pay him due to being in cap Hell. You cannot repeat that mistake, especially for multiple years.

@Yenrub - He also had the pocket awareness of a gnat and could barely progress off his 1st read his rookie year :<_<: . Again, his 1st start was Week 3 of the 2019 NFL season after being the #6 pick in the draft and It's taken him four years to get to where he is now... which is still not a credible NFL QB. Is he close? Sure, but he's not there yet and it's a legitimate question if he can get there. It can't be underestimated the fantastic job Daboll/Mike Kafka did with Daniel Jones, and I respect them wanting to bring him back to hopefully progress for another year. However, you don't want to rob Peter to pay Paul; pay Jones at such a high cost that you lose Saquon Barkley, Julian Love, and mess up the planned extensions for Xavier McKinney, Dexter Lawrence, etc.

@Boston - It absolutely is and Tyrod Taylor's contract was specifically structured with possibly being the QB in 2023. Why, if Daboll is great with QBs, do you suddenly not trust him with T-Mobile or another young QB? I think that's really odd Giants supposedly can't rebuild and go 6-11/5/12 for a year in order to improve your team via the draft while not destroying your cap. The NFL has worked that way for a long time; teams don't want to spend and tank (Houston) or start nosetailing by midseason and never recover (Bears, Panthers, Colts, Falcons, etc.)

The Giants literally lost a good corner last year in James Bradberry because they couldn't pay him due to being in cap Hell. You cannot repeat that mistake, especially for multiple years.

Where did I say I did not trust him with another young QB...I think you are missing my point...it is if he moves on from Jones (and I get why he would) there has to be a plan B...if it is another young QB that he likes that could work out very well...if it is a Derek Carr that could work out as well but that will cost $ but the good news is they have it this offseason...once we see who it is we can than judge it...I do not consider Tyrod Taylor as realistic...that would set the franchise back and you would not be able to develop any offensive players...he is a backup NFL QB and that is not going to change regardless of who is coaching him.

Last edited:
I love how all the internet GMs think they know more than DaBoll and Schoen. If DaBoll is really the QB whisperer and can turn any pumpkin into Cinderella, then why would he sign off on a big money extension for Jones (assuming they re-sign him)? Don’t think too hard…the answer is they think they can get more out of him if they surround him with better pieces. Hence why guys like Paul Schwartz are throwing out things like 5 years for $35MM.

DaBoll has been with Jones pretty much every day for the past year. He knows his strengths and weaknesses. This staff has done nothing but earn the benefit of the doubt when it comes to personnel decisions. I’ll trust him if he wants to roll with Jones.

I love how all the internet GMs think they know more than DaBoll and Schoen. If DaBoll is really the QB whisperer and can turn any pumpkin into Cinderella, then why would he sign off on a big money extension for Jones (assuming they re-sign him)? Don’t think too hard…the answer is they think they can get more out of him if they surround him with better pieces. Hence why guys like Paul Schwartz are throwing out things like 5 years for $35MM.
Or because they don’t see anything on the market that would be an upgrade. Obviously.

As you said, don’t think too hard. :rolleyes:

Or because they don’t see anything on the market that would be an upgrade. Obviously.

If they aren’t sold on Jones but aren’t enamored by the other options, they aren’t going to be tied to Jones for another 3 plus years on a long term deal. They will do what Frankman suggests and go with a short term replacement and look to fill the hole in the future.

Everything out of the team and those who cover them state they like Jones and want him to stick around. Not sure why it’s hard for people to think they actually like him and want him as their QB for the near future. I’m sure it has its limits, and they probably don’t want to go full market value ($40MM) but I also don’t think they want to start over with an unknown.

If they aren’t sold on Jones but aren’t enamored by the other options, they aren’t going to be tied to Jones for another 3 plus years on a long term deal. They will do what Frankman suggests and go with a short term replacement and look to fill the hole in the future.

Everything out of the team and those who cover them state they like Jones and want him to stick around. Not sure why it’s hard for people to think they actually like him and want him as their QB for the near future. I’m sure it has its limits, and they probably don’t want to go full market value ($40MM) but I also don’t think they want to start over with an unknown.
But they should.

But they should.
Not convinced. Things could get better but odds suggest they could get much, much worse.

But they should.
Because you know more than Brian DaBoll? LOL

But they should.
Not convinced. Things could get better but odds suggest they could get much, much worse.
Sometimes to get better a team needs to get worse.

It’s what @The Frankman has been advocating for a while, and I agree 100%.

I don’t disagree (and have said many times here recently myself) that they got more out of Jones this year than most expected - seemingly even than they expected, since they didn’t extend him on the cheap when they had the opportunity.

But if, as demonstrated by his on-field play, Jones’ upside is limited, then going all in on Jones and Barkley is seemingly a fool’s errand.

Practically speaking, with so many needs, they should instead spend that money on OL, LB, WR, CB, & draft affordable RBs and maybe even QBs to develop a team that’s deeper and more competitive long-term. Using an inexpensive stop-gap QB like Taylor as a bridge guy makes a lot of sense.

Chances are very good that they’d have a similar record as they would with Jones.

I mean, unless their dream is to get trounced like rag dolls by better teams in the 1st round of the playoffs every year, in which case sure, they should definitely sink 60-70M a year combined into Daniel Jones and Saquan Barkley. It’s certainly one strategy - not one i would employ, but to each their own. :shrug:

Last edited:

But they should.
You’re not convinced? Do you not think DaBoll knows what he’s doing? If he chooses to extend him I’ll go with the Coach of the Year and “QB Whisperer” as some in this thread dubbed him over us yahoos who only think we know what we are talking about. I think DaBolls earned that right.

But they should.
You’re not convinced? Do you not think DaBoll knows what he’s doing? If he chooses to extend him I’ll go with the Coach of the Year and “QB Whisperer” as some in this thread dubbed him over us yahoos who only think we know what we are talking about. I think DaBolls earned that right.
Pretty sure @habsfan was in agreement with you. lol

Maybe take a breath and relax. It’s a friendly discussion.

Never said I did. Can you quote me saying that?
Yeah. You are convinced they shouldn’t re-sign Jones even if DaBoll thinks it’s the right thing to do. Ergo you think you know the right thing to do even if it contradicts what DaBoll wants.

In the end I’m not a Jones truther. I get his limitations. I also get the temptation to tank and wade into next seasons QB market which should be much healthier. But it’s not reality. After making the playoffs this year they are not going to take 2 steps back. And for the first time since Coughlin left I’ve got some faith in the front office so I’m willing to cut them some slack and trust they know more than I do.

But they should.

Ha! Good point. Thanks for pointing that out. Thought he was replying to me. I’m all good. Nothing wrong with some healthy back and forth.

But they should.

Ha! Good point. Thanks for pointing that out. Thought he was replying to me. I’m all good. Nothing wrong with some healthy back and forth.
What "fantasy managers" somtimes do is say their team shouldn't go through Door 1, 2 or 3. That's easy to say when you're on the sidelines but the actual team needs to pick a door. You can't just stand there with your tallywacker hanging out. I think Danny Dimes is the door you walk through if you're the Giants.

What "fantasy managers" somtimes do is say their team shouldn't go through Door 1, 2 or 3. That's easy to say when you're on the sidelines but the actual team needs to pick a door. You can't just stand there with your tallywacker hanging out. I think Danny Dimes is the door you walk through if you're the Giants.
Danny Dimes is a door.

I’m not sure he’s the door.

There are many doors. I get not wanting to take steps back. I get @Boston’s point about the NY market getting a taste of playoffs and wanting to build on that.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t.

But IMO the NY Giants are not 1 Danny Dimes away from achieving more than they did in 2022.

It seems to me they’re a Danny Dimes away from doing pretty much what they did in 2022 - moderate success with limited upside.

Like I said, tying up a ton of cash in DJ might not be the best door to open.

Or maybe it will be. I don’t know anything for sure - just one man’s opinion. I’m sure Daboll is a lot smarter than I am.

I think the other thing that people don't seem to realize is going through the "Danny Dimes" door could get you to 6-11 next year as much as the Tyrod Taylor door could, especially if the Giants don't resign Barkley. They were also one of the few playoff teams with a negative point differential, and had several close games they won that could have gone the other way. If the Giants' D/secondary play regresses to the point Daniel Jones has to be put in a position to win games with regularity, the Giants in 2023 are done. This was the proverbial Line That Shalt Not Be Crossed for the Giants offense, and if the schedule Gods are not kind to the Giants next year there could be issues.

I don't want to get off-topic, but the other problem in the NFL is for some reason teams are willing to throw money at poor/middling QBs, but not pay elite WRs and RBs. It's mind-boggling to me the bad contracts of Miami Ryan Tannehill, 49ers' Jimmy Garoppolo, Vikings' Kirk Cousins, but paying actual elite talent like A.J. Brown, Tyshun Samuel, Saquon Barkley, etc. you gotta almost hold out to get your money. I'm not against great/elite QBs getting paid, but the fair-to-middling guys are just getting stupid money. :eek:

But they should.

Yeah. You are convinced they shouldn’t re-sign Jones even if DaBoll thinks it’s the right thing to do. Ergo you think you know the right thing to do even if it contradicts what DaBoll wants.

In the end I’m not a Jones truther. I get his limitations. I also get the temptation to tank and wade into next seasons QB market which should be much healthier. But it’s not reality. After making the playoffs this year they are not going to take 2 steps back. And for the first time since Coughlin left I’ve got some faith in the front office so I’m willing to cut them some slack and trust they know more than I do.
Here's the thing, Daboll hasn't done anything yet. He's made a lot of comments, but you have absolutely no idea if it's completely coach speak. He could be saying the exact opposite behind closed doors and the media and fans would have absolutely no idea.

Maybe Daboll would be delighted to have Jones back... As long as he signed for 20m a season so the team could address other areas. But Jones is hearing from his agent he can get twice that on the open market. And maybe Daboll loves Jones... But not as much as he'd love two new offensive linemen, a stud corner, and linebacker.

All you know is that the Giants are talking contract with Jones. You have no idea what those numbers are and how serious they are about wrapping him up long term.

Also, I'd be stunned if Jones doesn't realize he's in the best possible position with the Giants. Take that team-friendly deal at $25-27 million (1 year w/ a team option) and call it a day. If he comes out there and wants $35 million or multiple years guaranteed, yikes.

Also, I'd be stunned if Jones doesn't realize he's in the best possible position with the Giants. Take that team-friendly deal at $25-27 million (1 year w/ a team option) and call it a day. If he comes out there and wants $35 million or multiple years guaranteed, yikes.
Why would any player give a discount if ten mil per year? That's insane.

I love how all the internet GMs think they know more than DaBoll and Schoen.
I think people can discuss and comment on something someone more capable than them is doing without claiming they know more or claim they could do a better job. Should Dan Orlovsky not be able to criticize Aaron Rodgers because he wasn't a very good NFL QB and Rodger is a future HoF?

I can say, "I really don't like this song", even though I can't play or write music. Am I not allowed to do so?

The disconnect here is Daboll and Schoen bringing back Daniel Jones doesn't mean they objectively 100% believe it's in the best long term interest of the club. These GMs and HCs are also trying to keep their jobs - how does that go for a GM/HC if they go from 9-7-1 in 2022 to 5-12 in 2023 and 7-10 in 2024? While a total rebuild may be the best way to go, a first time GM like Schoen may not get that benefit. Tearing the team down for 3 straight seasons, just to get fired and have the team set up for the next GM may not be all that appealing to him.

Like I said, the unexpected first year success could be the downfall of this new regime because now they feel they HAVE TO keep if going. Obviously Daboll was trying to win each week, but maybe Schoen was "hoping" (and expecting) a 3 win season where he could then go out and land a young QB to build around.

There's so many moving parts - and this is a message/discussion forum. You're going to get opinions.

But they should.

Here's the thing, Daboll hasn't done anything yet. He's made a lot of comments, but you have absolutely no idea if it's completely coach speak. He could be saying the exact opposite behind closed doors and the media and fans would have absolutely no idea.

Maybe Daboll would be delighted to have Jones back... As long as he signed for 20m a season so the team could address other areas. But Jones is hearing from his agent he can get twice that on the open market. And maybe Daboll loves Jones... But not as much as he'd love two new offensive linemen, a stud corner, and linebacker.

All you know is that the Giants are talking contract with Jones. You have no idea what those numbers are and how serious they are about wrapping him up long term.

I 1,000% agree. Why I predicated it by saying "if the Giants sign Jones to a long term deal". I'm more questioning the monday morning quarterbacking that will happen if they make that move. If they choose to let him walk then the answer is pretty obvious. I just trust DaBoll in either scenerio.

But they should.

I 1,000% agree. Why I predicated it by saying "if the Giants sign Jones to a long term deal". I'm more questioning the monday morning quarterbacking that will happen if they make that move. If they choose to let him walk then the answer is pretty obvious. I just trust DaBoll in either scenerio.
Then I think we're both in total agreement, only that I don't have any faith in Jones. Daboll may be able to turn him into Kirk Cousins level qb, and that might be what the giants are banking on if they resign him to a long high priced contract, but that doesn't win superbowls without a dominant team around him.
That being said, compared to year one (yes I know the meaningless counting stats) a Kirk Cousins career would be a huge coaching accomplishment for Daboll.

The appropriate figure is believed to be somewhere between $35 and $37 million, two executives familiar with the quarterback market told SNY. Another, whose team is in need of a veteran quarterback and would “explore” Jones if he were available, said he’d have a “hard time” justifying a $40 million figure for him. In the $30 millions? “Sure,” the exec said, “but not above.
https://www.nj.com/giants/2023/02/l...aniel-jones-likely-free-agency-price-tag.html
So I guess I wasn’t crazy to suggest he’d be paid north of $25M after all.

$40M for a QB who can’t make more than 1 read before he takes off running. huh.

Good luck building a team around that.

In the right situation I think Daniel Jones could get to a super bowl. I'm not sure what happened against the Eagles- perhaps the entire team is just outclassed

SNY's Connor Hughes reports a "fair" average expected annual value for Daniel Jones is $35-37 million per season.​

Hughes talked to a few executives at the Senior Bowl to come up with this number, with one telling him that there's "no way in hell" he'd make Daniel Jones a $40 million a year quarterback. We're trying to imagine sending this update last January and how it would be received at that point. Hughes notes that the Giants could sign Jones to a long-term contract to try to get the AAV higher without a huge commitment, but also says the Giants will franchise tag Jones if they can't reach a deal. There seems to be little doubt that Jones will be a Giant next year, the only question is how long of a contract he'll get.
SOURCE: Connor Hughes on Twitter
Feb 7, 2023, 1:28 PM ET

Saquon is going to make this dude some money. Jones had success this season because defenses had to account for a real backfield threat. Decent FF production numbers followed.

SNY's Connor Hughes reports a "fair" average expected annual value for Daniel Jones is $35-37 million per season.​

Hughes talked to a few executives at the Senior Bowl to come up with this number, with one telling him that there's "no way in hell" he'd make Daniel Jones a $40 million a year quarterback. We're trying to imagine sending this update last January and how it would be received at that point. Hughes notes that the Giants could sign Jones to a long-term contract to try to get the AAV higher without a huge commitment, but also says the Giants will franchise tag Jones if they can't reach a deal. There seems to be little doubt that Jones will be a Giant next year, the only question is how long of a contract he'll get.
And here we get to see if the Giants want to build a dynasty or get kicked in the early rounds of the playoffs for the next handful of seasons. The 49ers had this choice - albeit with a much better surrounding team - a successful enough qb to get the team into the playoffs, but one who can't be THE MAN when his team needs him to be. The 9ers made the gamble on their ideal guy and while it didn't work out, they've still got the cap space to keep their defense at NFC championship levels.

If the giants pay Jones he either needs to play at Mahomes/Allen/Burrow level or the investment isn't worth it. Again, I don't doubt that Daboll can't get the most out of Jones and that the giants wouldn't be taking a step back this year if they aren't able to at least tag him, I just question who this team wants to be in the rest of the 2020s.

And here we get to see if the Giants want to build a dynasty or get kicked in the early rounds of the playoffs for the next handful of seasons. The 49ers had this choice - albeit with a much better surrounding team - a successful enough qb to get the team into the playoffs, but one who can't be THE MAN when his team needs him to be. The 9ers made the gamble on their ideal guy and while it didn't work out, they've still got the cap space to keep their defense at NFC championship levels.

If the giants pay Jones he either needs to play at Mahomes/Allen/Burrow level or the investment isn't worth it. Again, I don't doubt that Daboll can't get the most out of Jones and that the giants wouldn't be taking a step back this year if they aren't able to at least tag him, I just question who this team wants to be in the rest of the 2020s.
Agree - and said as much earlier in this topic.

I’m actually positive that Daboll can get the best out of DJ.

I’m just skeptical “the best” is a whole lot better than what we saw in 2022. Why give Mahomsian money to that?

Sure, they wouldn’t take a step back. But they wouldn’t take too many steps forward either with all the needs they have & DJ (and potentially Saquan) sucking up a huge chunk of cap space.

Just like I’m sure Daboll is smarter than I am, I’m also pretty well convinced that he’s going to build a team the way he wants to regardless of how mean sports radio in NY is to him.

Users who are viewing this thread