What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Daniel Jones, NYG (1 Viewer)

🚨Breaking: Daniel Jones & his new agent are delusional

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Giants QB Daniel Jones is holding out for a $45 million per year deal.​

Jones switched agents ahead of free agency, a sign talks with the Giants aren't going as expected. The Giants hoped to keep Jones on a deal closer to $35 million, putting Jones slightly above the franchise tag, which is set at $32 million for 2023. $45 million annually would make Jones the sixth-highest paid quarterback but will be quickly passed with Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow and Jalen Hurts up for extensions. The Giants have until the March 7 franchise tag deadline to extend Jones.

:eek:

:jawdrop:

Ouch...never say never when it comes to QBs but I don't see that # being realistic.

I commented earlier in this thread I thought he deserved an extension but I was thinking more in terms of $35'ish over the first two years, with an increase in future years, but also designed in a way that the exit out in 2 years if it was not working was not to financially painful. If he wants $45M I'm down to franchise tag or moving on as my options.

Ouch...never say never when it comes to QBs but I don't see that # being realistic.

Seems unrealistic but it stands to reason that he switched agents recently because this is what they told Jones they could get him and it's the same agency that got Rodgers the highest paid APY last year and Watson the most guarantees. They are negotiating through the media so they are shooting high but I think people should start bracing themselves that he's coming in north of $40Mm, if not actually hitting $45m.

I commented earlier in this thread I thought he deserved an extension but I was thinking more in terms of $35'ish over the first two years, with an increase in future years, but also designed in a way that the exit out in 2 years if it was not working was not to financially painful. If he wants $45M I'm down to franchise tag or moving on as my options.

Seems unrealistic but it stands to reason that he switched agents recently because this is what they told Jones they could get him and it's the same agency that got Rodgers the highest paid APY last year and Watson the most guarantees. They are negotiating through the media so they are shooting high but I think people should start bracing themselves that he's coming in north of $40Mm, if not actually hitting $45m.

Will be interesting...I like what I saw with him last year but investing that type of $ in him just has so much potential downside...I have said it a bunch of times but that decision not to pick-up the 5th year could not have backfired more...just feels like he needs one more year before you can really know his value.

Will be interesting...I like what I saw with him last year but investing that type of $ in him just has so much potential downside...I have said it a bunch of times but that decision not to pick-up the 5th year could not have backfired more...just feels like he needs one more year before you can really know his value.
Totally agreed on the bolded. Mentioned that to someone on these boards a few days ago and they did not want to put blame on Schoen and said "sure in hindsight" as if not using it was a no brainer but I recall a lot of discussion on it last year. I don't like not using it because you are essentially putting yourself in a situation the only way you come out ahead is if he plays poorly. I think the Giants surmised it was around a $9-10M a year gamble to pay the franchise over the 5th year. They gambled wrong and if they use the franchise tag on Jones they not only gambled wrong on $9-10M but might have lost Barkley in the process.

Plus there is really more that gamble cost them because once players reach the tag level you are always negotiating against the tag. So if they tag Jones this year, becuase I agree you feel like you want that extra year to know what you got, the problem is his price is going to be even higher then $45M next year IF he plays well and you want to retain him. That's due to overall increase but also that's where his tag amount next year is going to be around. If they had used the 5th year option they could have pushed all of this back a year, used this year to evaluate and had the first tag at their disposal next year if they wanted to use it. They messed up.

Not picking up a 5th year option on a player who is a starter on your team going into year 4 is pretty much always a fail
People here forget that the reason they did that is he was so bad he legit wasn't worth $22 million. Also, the team had serious cap issues: they legit could not sign James Bradberry because they had to sign their draft class. Jones wasn't worth that money then, and he isn't worth anywhere near the money he's asking for now. At this point Giants need to move on. This dude is legit asking for the Giants current cap space ($44.7 million) per year. :lmao:

Last edited:
The Athletic: Daniel Jones, Saquon Barkley negotiations ramping up with Giants — where things stand (only going to copy the Jones' part)
INDIANAPOLIS — Giants general manager Joe Schoen is scheduled to speak to reporters from the combine Tuesday. Schoen last held a news conference in the immediate aftermath of the Giants’ playoff loss, so this will be his first opportunity to provide an update on the status of negotiations with quarterback Daniel Jones and running back Saquon Barkley.

Before Schoen weighs in, here are some thoughts on the Giants as the offseason kicks into high gear:

• Once Schoen committed to retaining Jones, the initial number for an average annual salary the quarterback’s camp presented in negotiations became the single most important piece of information of the offseason. That’s why there was such an uproar when it was reported that Jones is seeking $45 million “or more.”

I can’t confirm that exact number was presented by Jones’ camp in negotiations with the Giants (although no one credible has refuted it), but I have heard that his sights are set high. And hysteria aside, $45 million is a logical starting point from Jones’ camp.

Kyler Murray, who was the No. 1 pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, received a five-year, $230.5 million extension from the Cardinals last offseason. Jones, who was the No. 6 pick in the 2019 draft, hasn’t produced at the same level as Murray. But unlike Murray, Jones has a playoff win on his resume. And with the salary cap skyrocketing, it makes sense to use a monster contract signed by a quarterback in Jones’ draft class as a reference point.

The Giants certainly won’t give Jones a multiyear contract worth $45 million per year. They have the franchise tag at their disposal, which will lock Jones in for 2023 at $32.4 million. But even if Jones is willing to settle around $40 million per year, he wasn’t going to open negotiations at that figure. Knowing the team would likely start around the tag amount, Jones could have come in at $45 million with the expectation that the sides could find a middle ground closer to $40 million.

• The average annual salary is only part of the negotiating puzzle. While that’s used to establish the pecking order among peers at the time a contract is signed, the more important aspects of Jones’ contract will be the length and structure of the guarantees.

The Giants obviously like Jones enough to want him to remain their quarterback. But they’re not prepared to hand him a blank check. So the structure of the contract will reveal how committed they are to the 25-year-old.

A five-year contract would be best for the Giants from a salary-cap perspective, as that would allow them to fully prorate the cap charges from a lucrative signing bonus. The team also could boost the base salaries in the final two years of a five-year deal to inflate the overall average annual value of the contract.

The issue with a five-year contract is it almost certainly would include hefty guarantees into the third year of the deal, making it difficult to dump Jones if he doesn’t continue developing or if durability concerns re-emerge over the next two seasons.

A three-year deal would give the Giants the ability to dump Jones sooner — likely after Year 2. But there’s little room to backload a shorter contract, so Jones would have substantial cap hits throughout a three-year deal.

Jones wouldn’t be motivated to sign a short-term deal that doesn’t guarantee him at least $71 million in the first two years, since that’s how much he’ll make if he gets tagged in each of the next two seasons.

Schoen will need to thread a fine needle in these negotiations, and it will likely take creativity in the contract structure to avoid the franchise tag.

• If there’s an impasse in negotiations, a narrative surely will emerge that Jones should take a team-friendly deal and/or avoid the tag so the organization can spend more on his supporting cast. It’s an understandable notion, but it’s not Jones’ job to manage the Giants’ roster and salary cap.

Don’t forget that the Giants exposed Jones to the cold business side of the NFL when they didn’t exercise his fifth-year option last offseason. Though that was the prudent decision at the time, it forced Jones into a prove-it year rather than having a guaranteed $22.4 million salary for 2023.

Jones played well enough without the security of the fifth-year option to position himself to cash in. He doesn’t owe the Giants anything at the negotiating table.

Any implication that Jones is being greedy in negotiations is nonsense. NFL players have short earning windows, so they’d be foolish not to maximize their leverage whenever possible.
A few things:

Duggan using Kyler Murray as a comp is insane; although Kyler has led his teams to victory and abject failure, the talent gap is massive between them and there no doubt that Kyler is running the O as a QB. Two, declining the 5th year option was seen as a no brainer because of the Giants cap situation and the reality being that Jones didn't deserve that option. It may not be "Jones’ job to manage the Giants’ roster and salary cap" but he can sure eff it up.

Last edited:
Kyler Murray has a passer rating of 86.3 in 26 games without DeAndre Hopkins in his career.
Daniel Jones had a passer rating of 92.5 in 16 games without DeAndre Hopkins this year

The Athletic: Daniel Jones, Saquon Barkley negotiations ramping up with Giants — where things stand (only going to copy the Jones' part)
INDIANAPOLIS — Giants general manager Joe Schoen is scheduled to speak to reporters from the combine Tuesday. Schoen last held a news conference in the immediate aftermath of the Giants’ playoff loss, so this will be his first opportunity to provide an update on the status of negotiations with quarterback Daniel Jones and running back Saquon Barkley.

Before Schoen weighs in, here are some thoughts on the Giants as the offseason kicks into high gear:

• Once Schoen committed to retaining Jones, the initial number for an average annual salary the quarterback’s camp presented in negotiations became the single most important piece of information of the offseason. That’s why there was such an uproar when it was reported that Jones is seeking $45 million “or more.”

I can’t confirm that exact number was presented by Jones’ camp in negotiations with the Giants (although no one credible has refuted it), but I have heard that his sights are set high. And hysteria aside, $45 million is a logical starting point from Jones’ camp.

Kyler Murray, who was the No. 1 pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, received a five-year, $230.5 million extension from the Cardinals last offseason. Jones, who was the No. 6 pick in the 2019 draft, hasn’t produced at the same level as Murray. But unlike Murray, Jones has a playoff win on his resume. And with the salary cap skyrocketing, it makes sense to use a monster contract signed by a quarterback in Jones’ draft class as a reference point.

The Giants certainly won’t give Jones a multiyear contract worth $45 million per year. They have the franchise tag at their disposal, which will lock Jones in for 2023 at $32.4 million. But even if Jones is willing to settle around $40 million per year, he wasn’t going to open negotiations at that figure. Knowing the team would likely start around the tag amount, Jones could have come in at $45 million with the expectation that the sides could find a middle ground closer to $40 million.

• The average annual salary is only part of the negotiating puzzle. While that’s used to establish the pecking order among peers at the time a contract is signed, the more important aspects of Jones’ contract will be the length and structure of the guarantees.

The Giants obviously like Jones enough to want him to remain their quarterback. But they’re not prepared to hand him a blank check. So the structure of the contract will reveal how committed they are to the 25-year-old.

A five-year contract would be best for the Giants from a salary-cap perspective, as that would allow them to fully prorate the cap charges from a lucrative signing bonus. The team also could boost the base salaries in the final two years of a five-year deal to inflate the overall average annual value of the contract.

The issue with a five-year contract is it almost certainly would include hefty guarantees into the third year of the deal, making it difficult to dump Jones if he doesn’t continue developing or if durability concerns re-emerge over the next two seasons.

A three-year deal would give the Giants the ability to dump Jones sooner — likely after Year 2. But there’s little room to backload a shorter contract, so Jones would have substantial cap hits throughout a three-year deal.

Jones wouldn’t be motivated to sign a short-term deal that doesn’t guarantee him at least $71 million in the first two years, since that’s how much he’ll make if he gets tagged in each of the next two seasons.

Schoen will need to thread a fine needle in these negotiations, and it will likely take creativity in the contract structure to avoid the franchise tag.

• If there’s an impasse in negotiations, a narrative surely will emerge that Jones should take a team-friendly deal and/or avoid the tag so the organization can spend more on his supporting cast. It’s an understandable notion, but it’s not Jones’ job to manage the Giants’ roster and salary cap.

Don’t forget that the Giants exposed Jones to the cold business side of the NFL when they didn’t exercise his fifth-year option last offseason. Though that was the prudent decision at the time, it forced Jones into a prove-it year rather than having a guaranteed $22.4 million salary for 2023.

Jones played well enough without the security of the fifth-year option to position himself to cash in. He doesn’t owe the Giants anything at the negotiating table.

Any implication that Jones is being greedy in negotiations is nonsense. NFL players have short earning windows, so they’d be foolish not to maximize their leverage whenever possible.
A few things:

Duggan using Kyler Murray as a comp is insane; although Kyler has led his teams to victory and abject failure, the talent gap is massive between them and there no doubt that Kyler is running the O as a QB. Two, declining the 5th year option was seen as a no brainer because of the Giants cap situation and the reality being that Jones didn't deserve that option. It may not be "Jones’ job to manage the Giants’ roster and salary cap" but he can sure eff it up.
Yeah, Kyler>Jones and that's pretty obvious. But the thing that gets me, is that Murray's deal doesn't look good at all right now. The logic of, "this guy got this much money so this guy deserves this much" is silly and a good way for GMs to get fired. Sort of, the buck stops here logic. Same thing is true with Lamar vis a vis Watson. Just because another team did something dumb, doesn't mean it should become the plan.

A few things:

Yeah, Kyler>Jones and that's pretty obvious. But the thing that gets me, is that Murray's deal doesn't look good at all right now. The logic of, "this guy got this much money so this guy deserves this much" is silly and a good way for GMs to get fired. Sort of, the buck stops here logic. Same thing is true with Lamar vis a vis Watson. Just because another team did something dumb, doesn't mean it should become the plan.
Exactly, no QB is worth more than Mahomes right now. and he makes 45m. No QB should even be discussing 45 until they have at least 1 SB win. Winning is the baseline not Salary
Criteria should be ... Youth, health, SB wins

Last edited:
I can imagine the agents for Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert are rooting for Jones to get $45M a year for 3-4 years :moneybag:
I think he’ll end up signing for around $35MM per year over five years with maybe three years guaranteed.
I agree, and I still think it's too high. I would rather tag Jones at $32.4M and make him prove it for a long term lucrative deal. Sure, it might cost the NYG about 40-50M more in money over the length of the deal, but that's the cost of being flexible in case Jones isn't worthy of a long term deal.

I can imagine the agents for Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert are rooting for Jones to get $45M a year for 3-4 years :moneybag:
I think he’ll end up signing for around $35MM per year over five years with maybe three years guaranteed.
I agree, and I still think it's too high. I would rather tag Jones at $32.4M and make him prove it for a long term lucrative deal. Sure, it might cost the NYG about 40-50M more in money over the length of the deal, but that's the cost of being flexible in case Jones isn't worthy of a long term deal.
Problem with tagging him is the entire $32.4M will count against the cap this year. If you sign him to a short team deal for say 3 years with $70m guaranteed you can get creative with bonuses. His 1st year cap hit will probably on be around $20m in that case . Guarranteed money is more imprortant than AVV

Last edited:
Problem with tagging him is the entire $32.4M will count against the cap this year. If you sign him to a short team deal for say 3 years with $70m guaranteed you can get creative with bonuses. His 1st year cap hit will probably on be around $20m in that case . Guarranteed money is more imprortant than AVV
I understand, that's the downside of that option.

A 3 year deal with 70M guaranteed with still give you $20M cap hit in year 1 and 25M cap hit in years 2-3. Sure you get 1 year with 12M of cap flexibility...that is great, but if Jones flops, you're still on the hook for $50M over two years, and that sets back the Gmen over 2 years. If you sign him for multiple years, you better be certain he's going to continue to take steps forward.....it's going to take at least $70M guaranteed. My guess is that Jones will want the first year fully guaranteed and they the rest can be prorated, in that case tagging is better.

It comes down to whether you think Jones can make the NYG a Super Bowl contender. I don't think so....so that said, my top choice is to let Jones walk, and tag Barkley.

Kirk Cousins 2.0 with the situation re: cap room and franchise tags. Whatever the cost for franchising him 2 consecutive years should be where he lands. QB Franchise TAG is 32.416M and people seem to believe he's gonna take a deal to average less than $3m more than this number seems a bit wishful thinking.

...so that said, my top choice is to let Jones walk, and tag Barkley.
If you let Jones walk you may as well let Barkley walk as well - unless you’re thinking of signing a guy like Jimmy G cheaper.
That's my preference. If you're letting Jones walk, you better have an option like Jimmy G, otherwise you're right, let Barkley walk too.
My preference is Jones but if they could get Carson Wentz on a real team friendly deal I'd be for that. Wentz is way underrated and way under appreciated. He would have won a Superbowl with the Eagles had he not gotten injured (#3 MVP voting) and has been wih **** teams ever since. He put up damn good numbers with Indy but somehow became the fall guy ... 3563 yds 27 TDs and 7 Ints and a 94.6 Rating

Totally agreed on the bolded. Mentioned that to someone on these boards a few days ago and they did not want to put blame on Schoen and said "sure in hindsight" as if not using it was a no brainer but I recall a lot of discussion on it last year. I don't like not using it because you are essentially putting yourself in a situation the only way you come out ahead is if he plays poorly. I think the Giants surmised it was around a $9-10M a year gamble to pay the franchise over the 5th year. They gambled wrong and if they use the franchise tag on Jones they not only gambled wrong on $9-10M but might have lost Barkley in the process.

Plus there is really more that gamble cost them because once players reach the tag level you are always negotiating against the tag. So if they tag Jones this year, becuase I agree you feel like you want that extra year to know what you got, the problem is his price is going to be even higher then $45M next year IF he plays well and you want to retain him. That's due to overall increase but also that's where his tag amount next year is going to be around. If they had used the 5th year option they could have pushed all of this back a year, used this year to evaluate and had the first tag at their disposal next year if they wanted to use it. They messed up.

Not picking up a 5th year option on a player who is a starter on your team going into year 4 is pretty much always a fail

So then you both agree that Miami would be wise to possibly extend Tua or exercise the 5th year option and continue to talk extension with him? Despite the injuries?
What if Tua manages to stay upright and glides the Phins into the Divisional Rd this year?
That would be an improvement after a Wildcard loss with Miami's 3rd string 7th Rd Rookie

So then you both agree that Miami would be wise to possibly extend Tua or exercise the 5th year option and continue to talk extension with him? Despite the injuries?
What if Tua manages to stay upright and glides the Phins into the Divisional Rd this year?
That would be an improvement after a Wildcard loss with Miami's 3rd string 7th Rd Rookie
100% exercise Tua's 5th year option and talk extension.

If you let Jones walk you may as well let Barkley walk as well - unless you’re thinking of signing a guy like Jimmy G cheaper.
That's my preference. If you're letting Jones walk, you better have an option like Jimmy G, otherwise you're right, let Barkley walk too.
My preference is Jones but if they could get Carson Wentz on a real team friendly deal I'd be for that. Wentz is way underrated and way under appreciated. He would have won a Superbowl with the Eagles had he not gotten injured (#3 MVP voting) and has been wih **** teams ever since. He put up damn good numbers with Indy but somehow became the fall guy ... 3563 yds 27 TDs and 7 Ints and a 94.6 Rating
I can get on board with that. Sign Wentz for a fraction of the cost, tag Barkley, and be a player in FA. Wentz has warts but so does Jones, Carr, Tannehill and Jimmy G.

Giants GM Joe Schoen said the team isn't close on an extension for QB Daniel Jones.​

"You're starting to feel the time crunch. Wish we were a little closer on a deal than what we are right now. But again, there's still time." The Giants met with Jones' agents at the Combine and hope to get something done before Tuesday's franchise tag deadline. Jones is asking for $45 million per year while the Giants want to keep him on a deal closer to $35 million. The Giants plan to tag Jones if he's not extended before Tuesday, likely sending free agent RB Saquon Barkley to the open market.
SOURCE: FOX Sports
Mar 2, 2023 at 9:34 AM ET

Best impression of DJax I have seen on here. Go ahead and share his stats from the most recent season, please. And then tell me how it wasn't his fault for those crappy numbers.

Best impression of DJax I have seen on here. Go ahead and share his stats from the most recent season, please. And then tell me how it wasn't his fault for those crappy numbers.
Stats are from 2021 17 starts ??? 2022 he started 7 games on a crap team
Put him on Philly and you'd be celebrating a SB victory

Last edited:
Seems like you are cherry picking stats, so lets do the last 3 years

2020: 16 tds, 15 ints 72.8 Passer rating, 218.3 yards per game
2021: 27 touchdowns, 7 interceptions, 94.6 passer rating, 209.6 yards per game, 1 big flop in the final game of the season that resulted in part to him getting off that team
2022: 11 touchdowns, 9 interceptions, 80.2 passer rating, 219.4 yards per game, 1 big flop in the final game of the season that resulted in part to him getting off that team

So if the argument is "He needs to be on a great team to succeed" seems like the Giants are not that team. 2017-2019 versions of him are not coming back. This is who he is now. A guy that will have to fight for a starting job at best, on a team that will not be good/loaded with weapons.

Somehow don't think 2022 Wentz was what Philly needed to win the Super Bowl. More likely, if Wentz is their starter, Philly is at best the #5 seed, because Dallas wins the division.

Also, wouldn't call Washington a crap team at all. They would have made the playoffs last year, with even average QB play.

Somehow don't think 2022 Wentz was what Philly needed to win the Super Bowl. More likely, if Wentz is their starter, Philly is at best the #5 seed, because Dallas wins the division.

Also, wouldn't call Washington a crap team at all. They would have made the playoffs last year, with even average QB play.
I'm with you. There are still weirdos out there that really think Wentz can "turn it around in the right situation"

Brain is cooked. He's got a family now. I'm at 50/50 the dude will retire.

But back to Daniel Jones. My guess is he gets a deal, unless the Giants really do the silliness of franchising him "just to make him prove it again" in 2023. 4 years/160M.

I'm with you. There are still weirdos out there that really think Wentz can "turn it around in the right situation"

But back to Daniel Jones. My guess is he gets a deal, unless the Giants really do the silliness of franchising him "just to make him prove it again" in 2023. 4 years/160M.
I wouldn't go THAT far with Wentz. I think he can still be a quality backup. Sort of like a better version of mid 2010s Mark Sanchez. That's still a pretty come down from 2017, but I think he's certainly still a top-40 or so QB.

Why would franchising Jones be silly?

I wouldn't go THAT far with Wentz. I think he can still be a quality backup. Sort of like a better version of mid 2010s Mark Sanchez. That's still a pretty come down from 2017, but I think he's certainly still a top-40 or so QB.

IMO with QBs you either pay him or move on. No sense in going half *** about it. You either hamstring your current year with all the cap $$ allocated or you hamstring yourself in future years when he actually proves himself and the price only goes up. Dak Prescott as a great example. The Cowboys waited and waited, now they overpaid and are so against the cap they are going to have to "reward a guy who just led the league in interceptions" by having to extend him now. Now think what his cap numbers would be if Jerry had just ponied up originally.

OR

You lose the player completely like Washington and are stuck years down the road still without a QB and forcing trades for has-beens like Carson Wentz. Its the only position you can't be gunshy about paying, IMO. If it doesn't work out, be like Howie Roseman, take the dead cap hit, move on, get to another Super Bowl with the next franchise QB :shades: (Haha sort of joking but you get the premise I am saying here)

And back to Wentz, his mental makeup/coachability just is not there. Not sure how coachable he ever was. No matter what he just seems to "do the opposite" of what you want your QB to do, play less hero ball, etc.

IMO with QBs you either pay him or move on. No sense in going half *** about it. You either hamstring your current year with all the cap $$ allocated or you hamstring yourself in future years when he actually proves himself and the price only goes up. Dak Prescott as a great example. The Cowboys waited and waited, now they overpaid and are so against the cap they are going to have to "reward a guy who just led the league in interceptions" by having to extend him now. Now think what his cap numbers would be if Jerry had just ponied up originally.

OR

You lose the player completely like Washington and are stuck years down the road still without a QB and forcing trades for has-beens like Carson Wentz. Its the only position you can't be gunshy about paying, IMO. If it doesn't work out, be like Howie Roseman, take the dead cap hit, move on, get to another Super Bowl with the next franchise QB :shades: (Haha sort of joking but you get the premise I am saying here)

And back to Wentz, his mental makeup/coachability just is not there. Not sure how coachable he ever was. No matter what he just seems to "do the opposite" of what you want your QB to do, play less hero ball, etc.
I'd disagree that Dak is overpaid. He's 8th at QB, and will be 11th really soon. That's about where he should be. I don't think leading the league in INT's is all that bad. Matthew Stafford lead the league in 2021, and Josh Allen has been top-3 each of the last 2 seasons.

I'd also argue Jones is nowhere near as good as Dak, just as current Wentz isn't close to as good as Jones. I'm not sure risking taking big cap hits is a good strategy if you aren't sure on a guy. We saw that with Wentz, Goff, and I'd be really worried about Jones falling into that group, as he's never had the highs those guys had.

OR

I'd disagree that Dak is overpaid. He's 8th at QB, and will be 11th really soon. That's about where he should be. I don't think leading the league in INT's is all that bad. Matthew Stafford lead the league in 2021, and Josh Allen has been top-3 each of the last 2 seasons.

I'd also argue Jones is nowhere near as good as Dak, just as current Wentz isn't close to as good as Jones. I'm not sure risking taking big cap hits is a good strategy if you aren't sure on a guy. We saw that with Wentz, Goff, and I'd be really worried about Jones falling into that group, as he's never had the highs those guys had.
I didn't say he was overpaid, Edit - I did, but it was relative to what they "could have paid". I admit he didn't get a "market reset" type of deal, but that is neither here nor there. I meant if you had signed him in a timely fashion, the deal would have been better, thus allowing more flexibility under the salary cap.
To each their own, but I'd rather have a QB that 'DOES NOT" come close to leading the league in INT's. Its not a recipe for continued success, obviously. But if you are OK with your QB being a turnover machine, that is fine by me.

I'm with you, Daniel Jones isn't as good as those guys, but that isn't the choice really. The market is the market, and "some team" that has a hole at QB *will pay* market value for a guy like Jones, in the $40M range if the Giants choose not to. He's not in the elite tier for pay like Wilson, Watson contracts, so if you are trying to further drive down his cost, it may come as a detriment and backfire. If the Giants want to play "not to lose" vs " to win" then they certainly are welcome to playing this game of chicken. As an Eagles fan, I sure hope they mess it up.

Get the man a true stud #1 WR and I think you'll see him take off. His legs already make him a good FF QB, #10 this year, but get him a stud WR and he's got top 7 maybe top 5 potential IMO.

Get the man a true stud #1 WR and I think you'll see him take off. His legs already make him a good FF QB, #10 this year, but get him a stud WR and he's got top 7 maybe top 5 potential IMO.
I am not convinced, from an NFL perspective, which matters more than his fantasy perspective. A stud alpha WR will probably get frustrated playing with Jones when he gets constantly double teamed and Jones runs after his first read isn't there. Jones' decision making is not his strong suit. He had a decent year due to his rushing but not his passing. At best he will likely be an average NFL QB. That's why I don't prefer to sign him for 4 years at $140M or so. As I said before, it would probably would make the NYG a mediocre team for years to come.

Also, who do you have in mind for a true stud #1WR? There are some good WR options in the draft but none to be compared with JaMarr Chase or Justin Jefferson. The NYG also need a lot of help at OL.

OR

Dak is Ok and the perfect example of a QB bringing down a loaded team. Every year the Cowboys are picked to win the Division iif not the NFC and every year they disappoint .
Put Dak on the Giants and there is no way in the world they go to and win a playoff game this season
Put Jones (aka Best QB in the NFC East) on the Eagles = SB win !!!

Giants GM Joe Schoen said the team isn't close on an extension for QB Daniel Jones.

"You're starting to feel the time crunch. Wish we were a little closer on a deal than what we are right now. But again, there's still time." The Giants met with Jones' agents at the Combine and hope to get something done before Tuesday's franchise tag deadline. Jones is asking for $45 million per year while the Giants want to keep him on a deal closer to $35 million. The Giants plan to tag Jones if he's not extended before Tuesday, likely sending free agent RB Saquon Barkley to the open market.
-
Ralph Vacchiano

Ralph Vacchiano
@RalphVacchiano

I still don't see how the Giants can tag QB Daniel Jones (at $32.4M) and still re-sign RB Saquon Barkley. And that's why GM Joe Schoen is working so hard to avoid the tag with Jones.

New reports emerging that Danny Dimes wants **more** than $45M per year. Gotta love it!!
wait, what???

EDIT:
After word emerged that Giants quarterback Daniel Jones had switched representation from CAA to Athletes First, we noted that Jones wants “as much as $45 million per year, or more.”

Reportedly, it’s more.

Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News reports that Jones’s agents are asking for more than $45 million per year on a long-term deal.

This makes it even more likely that the Giants will apply the non-exclusive franchise tag at some point before Tuesday’s deadline. That would give the Giants the ability to keep Jones at a one-year offer of $32.416 million — far short of his reported goal.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread