What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jared Goff, DET (2 Viewers)

Obviously Mahomes and Lamar are the 2 best QBs left. Interesting to see what people think between Goff and Purdy. I know Purdy is in the MVP race and is on quite a tear to start his career but Goff had quite a hot run early on (rookie season aside) with the Rams before he fell out of favor. This game could be pretty huge for the legacies and opinion of these 2 QBs who have been very successful but who still have a lot of doubters.

Obviously Mahomes and Lamar are the 2 best QBs left. Interesting to see what people think between Goff and Purdy. I know Purdy is in the MVP race and is on quite a tear to start his career but Goff had quite a hot run early on (rookie season aside) with the Rams before he fell out of favor. This game could be pretty huge for the legacies and opinion of these 2 QBs who have been very successful but who still have a lot of doubters
only difference being that Goff is at the end of his career and Purdy at the start.

Obviously Mahomes and Lamar are the 2 best QBs left. Interesting to see what people think between Goff and Purdy. I know Purdy is in the MVP race and is on quite a tear to start his career but Goff had quite a hot run early on (rookie season aside) with the Rams before he fell out of favor. This game could be pretty huge for the legacies and opinion of these 2 QBs who have been very successful but who still have a lot of doubters
only difference being that Goff is at the end of his career and Purdy at the start.
Goff is 29 years old, far from the end of his career and only 5 years older than Purdy.

Goff is 29 years old, far from the end of his career.
Only 5 years older than Purdy.

Goff has a good 6 years left. The difference is Purdy is much more mobile and able to do damage with his feet. Goff lack of mobility and inability to consistently throw an accurate deep ball will keep him out of consideration for being in the discussion as a top QB. Goff is extremely effective in short and midrange throws and reading coverages. He also feels pressure pretty well and can move around the pocket. Goff is more than good enough to win a Super Bowl in this offense. It is the lack of defensive pieces which is holding Detroit back. But that said, Goff is at the bottom of the 4 remaining QBs.

Goff is 29 years old, far from the end of his career and only 5 years older than Purdy.

Goff was drafted at 21 so he seems older than he is. Hard to believe that Prescott is 2 years older than Goff.

Goff has a good 6 years left. The difference is Purdy is much more mobile and able to do damage with his feet. Goff lack of mobility and inability to consistently throw an accurate deep ball will keep him out of consideration for being in the discussion as a top QB. Goff is extremely effective in short and midrange throws and reading coverages. He also feels pressure pretty well and can move around the pocket. Goff is more than good enough to win a Super Bowl in this offense. It is the lack of defensive pieces which is holding Detroit back. But that said, Goff is at the bottom of the 4 remaining QBs.
Let's hope he has at least one good deep ball to Jamo today. That could be the difference.

Let's hope he has at least one good deep ball to Jamo today. That could be the difference.
One time Wamo. That’s all it takes.

It was a difficult play with the CB (Thomas) there and the S coming over, but if Jamo tracks that Flea Flicker better they never get to 4th down.

Of course change one thing then the butterfly effect kicks in, everything changes. If Jamo makes a miracle catch & they don’t drop a couple, Goff’s stat line doesn’t magically change 25/41 273 1 TD to 28/41325 2. The whole flow of the game changes.

Jared played well in the NFCCG and if you look at his 9 game postseason game logs, the last 3 games were the best of his career. He cannot create off schedule when the play breaks down but he played clean. That is what they require of him; no one is under the illusion he can create.

The offense played well enough to win, Goff did enough to win.

Reynolds had 2 big drops. I think if they convert the 4th down that bounces off his hands, they keep the momentum and score. There's a lot more than that 1 play that cost the Lions. But man, talk about a momentum killer.

Goff has absolutely zero off-schedule ability and can’t run. And the game is changing even further as we speak.
The two plays that stand out vs the 'niners was the 4th down play, where he had to roll a bit & throw. Even though it was to his right his placement was horrible, I guess it was to St. Brown, hard to tell. The other one, which drew some criticism in here was the flea-flicker play. That was a game-changing home run ball that was there! He rolls left after the pitch, gets himself set & receives the pass from Montgomery. He gave his rec'r no chance to make a play on it. There were the other times he had to pull the ball down & just folded the tent.

Purportedly, Kirk Cousins is doing the Vikings a favor by demanding only $90M over two seasons, maybe so. Kevin O'Connell came in & the offense went zoom. So why didn't they extend Cousins? Perhaps it's an entirely different circumstance, but it appears very similar. We know that when he got hurt he looked to move to his left a bit & tore his achilles in a non-contact injury. You watch it & it's like, wow, he's just trying to step laterally a bit & it results in a season-ender. In hindsight, a great move to have not dumped a bunch of money into him.

Relevant I feel, the Vikings are in a much stronger position to decide whether he's their best move. Above it was said that the Lions did better than most teams, thus, stay the course. I think that opinion is based entirely on the fact that the team has already said they're prepared to compensate Goff more. Accordingly, the Lions took the 3rd highest cap hit @QB in '23. But no, they MUST make Goff the highest paid guy!!

Ford stadium was electric, the place appeared packed even though the team was on the road. Much like Green Bay in Dallas, Detroit had a great showing out in SF. KC didn't have anything like that in Baltimore. The class of the NFL are the old guard teams, among them, the Detroit Lions!

Accordingly, the Lions took the 3rd highest cap hit @QB in '23. But no, they MUST make Goff the highest paid guy!!
Goff was 16th in QB salary in 2023. His cap hit ranked that high because all the QBs making $50M per year have creatively structured contracts.

The Lions will likely do that with Goff when they extend him. He may get $40-50M per year and actually have his cap hit go down.

Reynolds had 2 big drops. I think if they convert the 4th down that bounces off his hands, they keep the momentum and score. There's a lot more than that 1 play that cost the Lions. But man, talk about a momentum killer.

The game replay was on and this sequence stood out to me:

1st 10, Detroit 25. 3:03 in 3rd. Lions' ball 24-24 is the score.

1st - one yard run.
2nd-9 - pass hits Sam LaPorta and he appears to have it, would have been good for a 1st, but the ball comes out as he goes to the ground. Incomplete.
3rd-9 - beautiful pass right in stride to Reynolds who would have had a 1st and a lot more with room to maybe run. Dropped.
4th-9 - PUNTER KICKS IT 74 YARDS!!!!! It is a short-hair away from being downed at the 1, but in for a touch back.

Next play for SF, Detroit almost sacks Purdy on a DB blitz. It's sooooo close to being a huge play for the Lions. He gets out of it, fires and hits 44 for a toe tapping first down.

Unreal. This game was just full of close twits and turns, cruel to the Lions, fortuitous for the 49ers. Those 5 plays inside a minute or so of time played a huge role and it was a matter of inches and a break of fate.

Goff has absolutely zero off-schedule ability and can’t run. And the game is changing even further as we speak.
The two plays that stand out vs the 'niners was the 4th down play, where he had to roll a bit & throw. Even though it was to his right his placement was horrible, I guess it was to St. Brown, hard to tell. The other one, which drew some criticism in here was the flea-flicker play. That was a game-changing home run ball that was there! He rolls left after the pitch, gets himself set & receives the pass from Montgomery. He gave his rec'r no chance to make a play on it. There were the other times he had to pull the ball down & just folded the tent.

Purportedly, Kirk Cousins is doing the Vikings a favor by demanding only $90M over two seasons, maybe so. Kevin O'Connell came in & the offense went zoom. So why didn't they extend Cousins? Perhaps it's an entirely different circumstance, but it appears very similar. We know that when he got hurt he looked to move to his left a bit & tore his achilles in a non-contact injury. You watch it & it's like, wow, he's just trying to step laterally a bit & it results in a season-ender. In hindsight, a great move to have not dumped a bunch of money into him.

Relevant I feel, the Vikings are in a much stronger position to decide whether he's their best move. Above it was said that the Lions did better than most teams, thus, stay the course. I think that opinion is based entirely on the fact that the team has already said they're prepared to compensate Goff more. Accordingly, the Lions took the 3rd highest cap hit @QB in '23. But no, they MUST make Goff the highest paid guy!!

Ford stadium was electric, the place appeared packed even though the team was on the road. Much like Green Bay in Dallas, Detroit had a great showing out in SF. KC didn't have anything like that in Baltimore. The class of the NFL are the old guard teams, among them, the Detroit Lions!
Yeah, I’m curious to see if they extend Goff and if so, at what cost.

It’s a monumental decision given Goff’s status as a mid-tier, old-school pocket passer with some critical limitations. It’s going to be extremely difficult to win a title with him at the helm. When you add in the salary cap dynamics, it’s something I don’t believe they can overcome.

The game replay was on and this sequence stood out to me:

1st 10, Detroit 25. 3:03 in 3rd. Lions' ball 24-24 is the score.

1st - one yard run.
2nd-9 - pass hits Sam LaPorta and he appears to have it, would have been good for a 1st, but the ball comes out as he goes to the ground. Incomplete.
3rd-9 - beautiful pass right in stride to Reynolds who would have had a 1st and a lot more with room to maybe run. Dropped.
4th-9 - PUNTER KICKS IT 74 YARDS!!!!! It is a short-hair away from being downed at the 1, but in for a touch back.

Next play for SF, Detroit almost sacks Purdy on a DB blitz. It's sooooo close to being a huge play for the Lions. He gets out of it, fires and hits 44 for a toe tapping first down.

Unreal. This game was just full of close twits and turns, cruel to the Lions, fortuitous for the 49ers. Those 5 plays inside a minute or so of time played a huge role and it was a matter of inches and a break of fate.
People always want to blame one specific person for reasons of their own, but this perfectly summarizes what actually happened in the game.

It’s a monumental decision given Goff’s status as a mid-tier, old-school pocket passer with some critical limitations. It’s going to be extremely difficult to win a title with him at the helm. When you add in the salary cap dynamics, it’s something I don’t believe they can overcome.
So, you’re saying pocket passers can’t win a SB?

You could theoretically have a pocket passer win a Super Bowl, sure. That said, not going to go through again how the NFL has changed since pocket passers thrived in the league. They’re going the way of the dinosauer.

If I did decide to try to win a title with a “pocket passer”, it would be one who excels throwing the deep ball. Jared Goff just has too many faults for today’s NFL.

Paying him more than he’s worth only compounds the issue. They don’t have to do anything this offseason. The smart play (if you’re hellbent on starting him in ‘24) is to see how he does against the first place schedule and better competition. He’s making plenty of money now. No need to rush things.

I get what you are saying but except for 2 dropped passes and a fumble he would have been playing for a title. Goff was second in the NFL in yardage, third in TD passes. Who can replace him that will be better while in the win now window? Easy to cherry pick 1-2 plays. Go through all the playoff games and every QB except maybe Mahomes had bad plays, Jackson had a horrible game. Love made bad plays in and INTs in crunch time. Prescott blew the game with his early INTs. Mayfeild threw a late INT.

Will Allen, Jackson, Herbert, Burrow and Hurts ever win now that they got paid? Then you have mid tier guys who got paid like Prescott, Stafford as he gets older, Wilson is done, Tua is just Ok, Cousins is old, Lawrence and Fields have not done much. Love is going to be up for a 5th year extension..so who is left?

Houston is in great shape with Stroud on his rookie deal and of course Mahomes who will win with anyone.

Last edited:

You could theoretically have a pocket passer win a Super Bowl, sure. That said, not going to go through again how the NFL has changed since pocket passers thrived in the league. They’re going the way of the dinosauer.

If I did decide to try to win a title with a “pocket passer”, it would be one who excels throwing the deep ball. Jared Goff just has too many faults for today’s NFL.

Paying him more than he’s worth only compounds the issue. They don’t have to do anything this offseason. The smart play (if you’re hellbent on starting him in ‘24) is to see how he does against the first place schedule and better competition. He’s making plenty of money now. No need to rush things.
Rather have a stud pocket passer than Lamar Jackson :)

I get what you are saying but except for 2 dropped passes and a fumble he would have been playing for a title. Goff was second in the NFL in yardage, third in TD passes. Who can replace him that will be better while in the win now window?

Will Allen, Jackson, Herbert, Burrow and Hurts ever win now that they got paid? Then you have mid tier guys who got paid like Prescott, Stafford as he gets older, Wilson is done, Tua is just Ok, Cousins is old, Lawrence and Fields have not done much. Love is going to be up for a 5th year extension..so who is left?

Houston is in great shape with Stroud on his rookie deal and of course Mahomes who will win with anyone.
That’s the rub. While it’s still a team-heavy sport, the QB position has become more important than ever. We can discuss why, but like Troy Aikman said, QBs have much more to do with their team’s success than even when he played (so things have really changed in the last 20 years).

My critique of the Lions isn’t so much about who they decide to replace him with as it is sticking with a guy like Goff and paying him big money. I do like Hooker and I believe he’s the got the skills to thrive so we’ll see what happens.

Would it be safer to stick with Goff? Maybe, but you have to beat everybody to win a title and the AFC is going to put some really good teams in the Super Bowl for the foreseeable future. I just can’t see Goff getting it done given his lack of certain attributes, especially if he’s tying up a lot of their cap.

Last edited:

I get what you are saying but except for 2 dropped passes and a fumble he would have been playing for a title. Goff was second in the NFL in yardage, third in TD passes. Who can replace him that will be better while in the win now window?

That’s the rub. While it’s still a team-heavy sport, the QB position has become more important than ever. We can discuss why, but like Troy Aikman said, QBs have much more to do with their team’s success than when he played (so things have really changed even in the last 20 years).

My critique of the Lions isn’t so much about who they decide to replace him with as it is sticking with a guy like Goff and paying him big money. I do like Hooker and I believe he’s the got the skills to thrive so we’ll see what happens.

Would it be safer to stick with Goff? Maybe, but you have to beat everybody to win a title and the AFC is going to put some really good teams in the Super Bowl for the foreseeable future. I just can’t see Goff getting it done given his lack of certain attributes, especially if he’s tying up a lot of their cap.

Well according to locals writers who follow the team Hooker has a ways to go to even be the top backup next season. That is why Lions were disappointed that Teddy Bridgewater is retiring as they wanted to bring him back next year and bring Hooker along slow.

Goff's accuracy makes him a top 5 thrower, but his complete lack of movement knocks him down about 5 spots. He should be around 10th, which puts him at $40 million per year. I would extend him for 2 more years, which gives us three more seasons of Goff. 2 years $80-85 guarenteed.

That’s the rub. While it’s still a team-heavy sport, the QB position has become more important than ever. We can discuss why, but like Troy Aikman said, QBs have much more to do with their team’s success than when he played (so things have really changed even in the last 20 years).

Well according to locals writers who follow the team Hooker has a ways to go to even be the top backup next season. That is why Lions were disappointed that Teddy Bridgewater is retiring as they wanted to bring him back next year and bring Hooker along slow.
I’m sure he does have a ways to go not being activated until over halfway through the season. They couldn’t even actively coach him when he was on the NFI.

That said, I’ve heard positive reports out of Detroit about his arm (I believe he was throwing as early as mini-camp) and he certainly is mobile. I know Holmes really likes him, as well.

BTW, there’s no way Goff lasts 3 more seasons as their starter. He’s simply not going to be given that much rope in their window.

If he does, I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong. I believe Goff will be lucky to get through ‘25 as the starter.

Well you have over 40 posts in this thread on Jarod Goff.

Lets nutshell them into one line. 'You would not extend Goff" :biggrin:

You know what you should definitely do, is post the same thing every third post in this thread forever.
What you should do is take time to post how you don’t like it. This thread is full of people with opposing views, repeated over and over, including yourself. Doesn’t bother me a bit, lol.

I typically will respond when I’m quoted or engaged in some way. It’s not really rocket science.

Goff's accuracy makes him a top 5 thrower, but his complete lack of movement knocks him down about 5 spots. He should be around 10th, which puts him at $40 million per year. I would extend him for 2 more years, which gives us three more seasons of Goff. 2 years $80-85 guarenteed.

Yea he is one of the last statue qbs left on successful teams. It's almost more of a liability in today's nfl

Is it fair to say that Goff was overpaid prior to this point? Let me ask you, market price matters right(?), if Cousins offer to Minnesota, which is $45M per, according to him favorable, should Goff get more or less than him? Might be interesting to get some of the homers on record as to what level of commitment the team should entertain. Here's what I declare to be absolute nonsense, although I agree with you, Goff's cap hit isn't going to be less than before. He's not going to fall somewhere between 16th & 10th. Delusional stuff. I suppose they could structure whatever they give him to take the hit(s) later. But just so you know, one estimate has him borderline top paid player!

Ben Johnson returning is great news! But from a comment above, it would seem they're going to have get a backup. And what about some of their younger players, perhaps along the OL, not one of them is deserving of an extension? Firm believer in teams that add. The team is cracking to the leverage of their system QB, which is bad management.

Is it fair to say that Goff was overpaid prior to this point? Let me ask you, market price matters right(?), if Cousins offer to Minnesota, which is $45M per, according to him favorable, should Goff get more or less than him? Might be interesting to get some of the homers on record as to what level of commitment the team should entertain. Here's what I declare to be absolute nonsense, although I agree with you, Goff's cap hit isn't going to be less than before. He's not going to fall somewhere between 16th & 10th. Delusional stuff. I suppose they could structure whatever they give him to take the hit(s) later. But just so you know, one estimate has him borderline top paid player!

Ben Johnson returning is great news! But from a comment above, it would seem they're going to have get a backup. And what about some of their younger players, perhaps along the OL, not one of them is deserving of an extension? Firm believer in teams that add. The team is cracking to the leverage of their system QB, which is bad management.

They are not paying Goff $55 million. Goff's salary was only $27 million with a $31 million cap hit. Despite the modest QB salary it was one of the larger cap hits due to the structure of the contract. The Lions still have $60 million despite Goff's cap hit. The Lions can afford to give Goff a raise and structure it so it is a smaller cap hit and increase the $60 million cap space. That leaves a lot of money to re-sign Glasgow, extend St. Brown, pick-up a corner and have a large chunk of change to do several other things. Goff and Cousins are on the same tier and I think Goff will take a bit less than $45 million. They can structure it so it is about a $25 million hit. I don't think I would give Goff more than 2 additional years beyond his current contract. Probably an option 3rd year.

Look at Ben Johnson, he is turning down massive raises to stay in Detroit. Goff is in a ideal situation and will sign a reasonable contract to stay.

I would not mind Lions letting Goff play next season and then decide. If Goff were an UFA now and Lions did not retain him what would he command as a UFA and who would sign him?

Being an effective NFL QB take a variety of skills, being mobile is one, but we have seen so many mobile QBs fail, as well as non mobile. Finding one with "all" the needed skills is a difficult to say the least. Vince Young and Robert Griffin were both high picks and more mobile than any QBs in the NFL yet did not win or last.

If you can get a mobile QB who can also be and accurate passer, read defenses, lead and win then well you have...Mahomes. And there are not many like him.

Last edited:
You also have to have a reasonable plan B in the wings. Some would choose Hooker, a 2nd year rookie who has never been through a training camp much less thrown a pass in the NFL. I hope he turns out great, but I have nothing concrete to base that on. Is that a plan B?

You also have to have a reasonable plan B in the wings. Some would choose Hooker, a 2nd year rookie who has never been through a training camp much less thrown a pass in the NFL. I hope he turns out great, but I have nothing concrete to base that on. Is that a plan B?
I doubt Hooker is plan B yet. Not saying he won’t be eventually.

It will be interesting if they sign another backup like they did with Bridgewater. If they don't that means he's the guy if Goff gets injured.

I'd expect hooker to be plan b next year, with maybe a bottom of the barrel veteran as a third qb. Quality backup QBs aren't cheap, so they can get some cap savings there.

Plus, goffs lack of running puts him at lower risk of getting hurt.

It will be interesting if they sign another backup like they did with Bridgewater. If they don't that means he's the guy if Goff gets injured.
I doubt Hooker is remotely ready to be an NFL QB.

Users who are viewing this thread