What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jayden Daniels, WAS (2 Viewers)

People forget how electric RGIII was early in his career. He was a star at Baylor, won a Heisman, and went #2 overall to Washington. Then he won Rookie of the Year and made the Pro Bowl. Sadly, two things led to his demise. One was that devastating knee injury against Seattle, and the other was his inability to master reading NFL coverages. Daniels is the same type of athlete with similar accuracy. The key difference is he’s learned how to play the position on a more professional level, while RGIII was a product of the early zone-read craze. He never grew out of that. Daniels is already better prepared.

I would like nothing more than to see what happens if QBs announced in January that they won't go to a team because their line stinks.
This Jayden might not want to go to Washington stuff just before the draft is ugh though.

I would like nothing more than to see what happens if QBs announced in January that they won't go to a team because their line stinks.
This Jayden might not want to go to Washington stuff just before the draft is ugh though.

Pat McAfee
"It has been tracking for Jayden Daniels to go at number two..

It feels like Jayden Daniels has an interest in being other places..

We’ll see what the Washington Commanders do with that information" ~ @AdamSchefter

#PMSLive

Reactions: Bri
No idea what is or isn't true. But the part about Daniels not wanting to play there I think is likely. I'm not at the point where Daniels camp is solely at fault. The narrative, or a prominent one was that this group meeting was something new. Turns out, the football side of those meetings were all separate & par for the course, happens all the time. To make something of the casual get together @ Top Golf to have some fun would seem to be over the top. In the commanders thread I speculated that Daniels agent took this opportunity to send a very clear message, that his client does not want to play for them.

Now, unless you or someone else has something more, we do not know that Daniel's position is new or recent. I would sooner believe that they have channeled their position to the team in an appropriate manner. Have no idea but perhaps they've yet to get an affirmative from Washington that Daniels is off their board? Beyond the scope but worth considering is the pushback to a player railing the status quo.

Turning to Washington, of this group invited why was Michael Penix Jr. there? With the exception being some tiny fraction, he is NOT being selected with the 2nd pick of the draft. Yeah, stuff like this is why I keep entertaining the notion that they're willing to trade back! It may be the backup plan, but to me it's a clear indication they're not set on Daniels or Maye or anybody. Penix jr. for one of two reasons, they like him better than Bo Nix or if they do trade back, they have doubts as to whether Nix will still be there.

No idea what is or isn't true. But the part about Daniels not wanting to play there I think is likely. I'm not at the point where Daniels camp is solely at fault. The narrative, or a prominent one was that this group meeting was something new. Turns out, the football side of those meetings were all separate & par for the course, happens all the time. To make something of the casual get together @ Top Golf to have some fun would seem to be over the top. In the commanders thread I speculated that Daniels agent took this opportunity to send a very clear message, that his client does not want to play for them.

Now, unless you or someone else has something more, we do not know that Daniel's position is new or recent. I would sooner believe that they have channeled their position to the team in an appropriate manner. Have no idea but perhaps they've yet to get an affirmative from Washington that Daniels is off their board? Beyond the scope but worth considering is the pushback to a player railing the status quo.

Turning to Washington, of this group invited why was Michael Penix Jr. there? With the exception being some tiny fraction, he is NOT being selected with the 2nd pick of the draft. Yeah, stuff like this is why I keep entertaining the notion that they're willing to trade back! It may be the backup plan, but to me it's a clear indication they're not set on Daniels or Maye or anybody. Penix jr. for one of two reasons, they like him better than Bo Nix or if they do trade back, they have doubts as to whether Nix will still be there.
These group meetings for prospects aren't that uncommon. It's been going on for a long time. Idk how many per year but it's not a new predraft tactic.
It seems to me that some people think it's new and are reacting as such.
On McAfee's show, Belichick was like yep see how they interact with others. Very unsurprised and casual.
They want to see any alpha qualities they can. I don't think they need something grandiose but just don't be shy and show something anything that is a leadership quality.

The way I view this is negative for Daniels. I don't know if he showed some leadership qualities but I do know "his camp" showed they would whine quick and loud.

Daniels camp maybe saying he won't play there is probably the only thing that could do this but...the truth of all the meetings and stuff is there isn't going to be one thing that sways a team. They just want to see the warts. People overreact but we've seen shy QBs and injured players and bad test scores and bad stories of some interaction and guys still got drafted.

A lot of teams, if not all, send their captains to a leadership course. Exactly like a corporation might, it's just policy. I know of the Titans captains doing something at an army base. Tom Brady tells a story of going to NYC and another of guest speakers coming to talk to them.

This is overreact time

I'm confused by this story...what exactly was the communication from the team to the player/players...I find it hard to believe that a pre-visit agenda wasn't part of this...just can't believe he showed up and was surprised that the other QBs were there or what they would be doing, and it seems odd that there is nothing but silence from the other QBs about this visit if there were legit issues (unless I missed it)...there is a missing piece to this story...unless there is some conspiracy we don't know about I find it hard to believe he doesn't want to go at #2...the Pats are at #3 and that is definitely not a place set-up for immediate success...it is the silly time before the draft but this story is a weird one.

My initial thought was his agent was a putz to take his disappointment to social media. End of story. I still think that's all there is here, but talking heads need to talk so they make it a thing.

In early April Shefter reported Daniels to Washington was a done deal. Shefter is respected and clearly has quality sources. I'm sure the agent popped a cork. #2! That's the best he could hope for. They must have celebrated a little. Then they make the visit and wth. Why all these other dudes here? Why waste 30 visits on QBs? Adam said we had you. So the agent pouted publicly.

So, I don't think this is Daniels not wanting to be a Commander. :shrug:

I think it's surprise and disappointment discovering Shefter jumped the gun. I think it's doing the math too. Say Washington wants JJ. New England wants Maye. Jayden suddenly goes from #2 to something much lower. The uncertainty created the stress. His agent is a putz.

I'm confused by this story...what exactly was the communication from the team to the player/players...I find it hard to believe that a pre-visit agenda wasn't part of this...just can't believe he showed up and was surprised that the other QBs were there or what they would be doing, and it seems odd that there is nothing but silence from the other QBs about this visit if there were legit issues (unless I missed it)...there is a missing piece to this story...unless there is some conspiracy we don't know about I find it hard to believe he doesn't want to go at #2...the Pats are at #3 and that is definitely not a place set-up for immediate success...it is the silly time before the draft but this story is a weird one.

I’m not saying I believe this, and I’m a Wash fan who think we’re drafting Maye, but if you want a conspiracy theory, here goes.

Wash is leaning Daniels, but wants to see how he responds to adversity or the unexpected. They bring in the other QBs at the same time to make him uncomfortable. They put him in a situation (top golf) he is totally foreign to while at the same time, very comfortable for his top competition in Maye, who is a golfer and can probably hit the piss out of the ball. So Daniels has to sit there watching his rival steal the show while he doesn’t even know how to hold a club.

Also, Daniels is a quieter kind of guy and this group places an emphasis on leadership. What do they do? Throw him in a social blender, see how he interacts with the rest of the guys while he’s feeling super uncomfortable. Can he still make friends and win people over? What’s his demeanor like in that moment? They want a face of the franchise leader type and the other two guys clearly have that trait in spades. So create an environment that tests JD on the thing they want to know most.

Anyway, I don’t think it’s all that extreme. I DO think there is certainly a psychological element to all of this they wanted to tap. They emphasized over and over during the coaching search how much leadership matters to them and how they are trying to create a winning culture, which is more important for this franchise than probably any other team in professional sports after all we’ve been through the last 25 years. Maybe they watch the film and see two very different guys they could be completely fine taking. How do you separate them? Tap into their off the field, locker room psyche. Throw them a curveball and see how they respond.

We will probably never find out how close this call is and what their true feeling are. Could be a small battle between Peters and Quinn where AP likes Maye and DQ likes Daniels. We know nothing because this group is air tight.

End of the day, this is the Adam Peters show and he’s going to take the player he wants most. How he plays the lead up to that moment, the methods of persuasion and politicking he is employing are the mystery. He didn’t come here to hire a coach to pick his QB for him though. He’s making the call. From my view he is trying to get the consensus to align with his own preference rather than being in a position where he has to overrule anyone. He strikes me as an assassin that lays low behind a friendly, pleasing demeanor.

I could be dead wrong, but I really think both in terms of personality and play style, Maye is the guy he’s wanted all along. I think he came to Washington specifically to draft him and build a team around him with a bunch of quality draft picks and tons of cap space. And I think McCarthy tests him more about the pick than Daniels does. We’ll find out if that’s the case or not in a few days.

Totally agree with the premise, so much of it just doesn't add up. If you want to be selected really early, this isn't how to go about it. Unless of course, this doesn't have anything to do with when he's selected but more importantly, by who. I had forgotten the details of the story I'd seen, that Daniels had sought insight from Adam Peters regarding his draft stock & what he got was not what he expected. I lend it more weight with this latest development. Add to it, about a month ago & according to SI, Daniels was shooting down a rumor that he didn't want to play in New England either. There's at least one report regarding his interest in playing for the Raiders.

With respect to reporting &/or Adam Shefter, there's reason to believe Drake Maye is the choice. There's reason to believe it may be JJ McCarthy or that they're not committed to any of them & if presented with a major offer, they'll trade back & draft... Michael Penix Jr. Plenty of smoke suggesting the Raiders are going to make a play to move up & take Daniels.

I find it hard to believe he doesn't want to go at #2...the Pats are at #3 and that is definitely not a place set-up for immediate success...
Probably does want to go 2 but just going to mention that I know everyone says NE is the worst spot to drop a QB but Ted Nguyen of The Athletic wrote an article yesterday ranking the best to worst QB landing spots using criteria of weapons, run game, pass blocking, play callers and defense. Certainly a lot of interpretation and differing opinions on the criteria he used and how much each of these should matter, just pointing out in that man's opinion he had Washington ranked as the worst possible landing spot among the 7 teams he broke down. NE was 5th, ahead of Giants and Washington.

Here is the article if you want to read and can access it: https://theathletic.com/5421402/2024/04/19/2024-nfl-draft-ranking-qb-friendliness/

If I were ranking landing spots, I would go:

1. Minnesota, best WR in the NFL, 2 other quality weapons, good RB, best OT combo among needy teams. Indoors.
2. Las Vegas, top-5 WR, quality #2, promising young TE. Indoors. Play caller is iffy.
3. Chicago, 2 high quality WRs, solid running game, average OL. Very low expectations.
4. Washington, 1 quality WR, hopefully another promising one. Decent running game, when they don't forget about it.
5. Denver, 1 solid WR, some decent role players. 2nd best OT combo. Most proven play caller.
6. NY Giants, potentially decent OL, probably 2nd most proven play caller. Hopefully Waller plays. Could sit as a rookie.
7. New England, potentially decent OL, probably 2nd best RB. Probably worst all around weapons. Completely mystery coaching staff. Could sit as a rookie.

Not real big on his recent statement he wants to be the all time rushing QB leader. Why not passing leader since QBs ya know, get paid to throw the ball?
He seems to be a high bust risk to me. High sack rate, avoids the middle of the field for his throws, runs much much more when he’s flushed from pocket as opposed to making throws.
Slim build, reckless when running and his focus on setting the record for quarterback rushing yards increase injury risk.

Also don’t think his mother’s over involvement in his career is going to be a positive either.

Users who are viewing this thread