What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jayden Daniels, WAS (1 Viewer)

This came out today

2. Washington Commanders: Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU​

Vote distribution: Daniels 5, Maye 1

Five of six execs had Daniels heading to Washington in this slot. One of the five initially had Maye, then changed to Daniels a few days later.

“I think people struggle with Maye’s mechanics,” this exec said.

The one holdout for Maye in this slot said he heard Commanders general manager Adam Peters was “really into” Maye

these stories about what exec's think at this point whatever the conclusion is i would just assume they're lying and take the other side

Considering that at some point we will hear NE and WAS connected to all three QBs not named Caleb, your plan to take the opposite of every rumor sounds like a lot of fun! Good luck!

these stories about what exec's think at this point whatever the conclusion is i would just assume they're lying and take the other side

Considering that at some point we will hear NE and WAS connected to all three QBs not named Caleb, your plan to take the opposite of every rumor sounds like a lot of fun! Good luck!
didn't say take the opposite of every rumor, said take the opposite of what execs say

In my league for example, there is really only 1 team who doesn't have serviceable QB right now. Everyone is set, or set enough for it to not be any sort of priority. And as this manager knows this, he will almost certainly let the QB he would have taken in the mid 1st round fall to the 2nd, safe in the knowledge that he won't be drafted by anyone else.
And this is where guppies get consumed by sharks. When you stop drafting by best talent and start getting cute with need/adp/situation you lose your future fast. I'd snap Caleb up so fast at 1.07 and Daniels is a flash draft right after that too. Maye is my hardest slot right now. It's not like you should be counting on a rookie QB to be your starter anyway, so if you don't have anything serviceable you're already in a world of hurt and the draft is about replenishing/managing future value.

In my league for example, there is really only 1 team who doesn't have serviceable QB right now. Everyone is set, or set enough for it to not be any sort of priority. And as this manager knows this, he will almost certainly let the QB he would have taken in the mid 1st round fall to the 2nd, safe in the knowledge that he won't be drafted by anyone else.
And this is where guppies get consumed by sharks. When you stop drafting by best talent and start getting cute with need/adp/situation you lose your future fast. I'd snap Caleb up so fast at 1.07 and Daniels is a flash draft right after that too. Maye is my hardest slot right now. It's not like you should be counting on a rookie QB to be your starter anyway, so if you don't have anything serviceable you're already in a world of hurt and the draft is about replenishing/managing future value.
I agree. Daniels should roll out right after Caleb in 1QB leagues. I am hoping he falls to me at 1.09
Having seen Maye play too much, I am not sold on him being valued for FF over other options or BPA.

Am I the only one that likes Daniels the most in this QB class? I'm mainly thinking fantasy, but as a real NFL franchise QB I see a lot of upside too.

Am I the only one that likes Daniels the most in this QB class? I'm mainly thinking fantasy, but as a real NFL franchise QB I see a lot of upside too.

The most? No. But I'm on record saying I think it's close. When the criticism is he's skinny and gonna get hurt, I ignore it. The bigger they come the harder they fall. He's had a turned ankle in 5 years of starting. His issue with not going down is one of the easiest things to fix. I don't see a weakness in his game. I prefer Caleb because while Daniels' arm talent is impressive, it's not like Caleb's. Where Daniels bails from the pocket and takes off running, Caleb fights for time and finds a receiver. Maye might have the overall better skillset (debatable), but he's so young and has many flaws compared to these two. :2cents:

Chris Simms
Jayden Daniels is the second-best QB in this Draft based on film. Mechanically he's a machine throwing it. Arm is really good, but not elite. The running is ELITE. Can probably learn how to be more patient in the pocket before taking off.

More here:

Coach Hawkins
🚨 Computer Vision (CV) has been an additional timing method to measure in-game athleticism like MPH, but it is NOT the same as GPS and LPS. (Apologies for the length of this post. Leaving alot out put trying to condense. Ian I hope this helps)...

Computer Vision utilizes machine learning to pull data from videos (See video below calculating MPH from a HS game - 1080 - 60 frames per second). The video itself is the source of the data. I've been following the Graduate work of several Columbia University (Computer Science) students for awhile. Here are some factors that impact MPH using video. The first is frame rate. When you film or take photos for example, you need to ensure the frame is consistent or it can impact the results. Standard filming (scout film) of NFL games is 60 fps. Now what these students found is that if you modify the FPS it can alter the MPH. General resolution of the film also plays a factor. Things like rain on the lens or unstable filming can impact the MPH. These are all things that are being tested. Other factors like calibrating the field of play etc can also impact the accuracy.

LPS (Local Positioning System) is calculated by sensors and receivers. Example 2 RFID devices (coin sized) are placed in the shoulder pads of all NFL players. It is the gold standard as the locates per second allow for better precision. It can be used indoors or outdoors. @ZebraSports @KinexonSports and @FinishLynx (Isolynx) all provide LPS technology.

GPS is based on satellite which means you have to be outdoors and connect to satellites. It provides alot of value but the precision is not the same as LPS as the locates per .

So when talking about MPH, it's important to understand the strengths, weaknesses and additional context. I think they all provide value but we have to be mindful when comparing players. If Tyreek Hill runs a certain MPH on LPS and another college player runs an MPH on GPS we have to understand that it's comparing one level of precision to another. If the tool being used is consistent then we can begin to compare. I think player tracking is to continue to play a role but we have to have solid validated studies to compare to a gold standard which is currently LPS and 3D motion capture.

@Ihartitz @JordanGush @CoachStokowski @CoryRAanalytics @ShotByLJay18

Correction: GPS locates per second are lower than LPS.

Ian Hartitz Great note here — different measurements for speed going on between what I was comparing. I will watch the film and get better. Thank you @BrianHawkins4 for the clarification

I wouldn't draft that elbow top three.
I saw the docs saying oh it's just a bursa sac, you drain it and can inject it and it's really a non-issue.
My head doesn't accept that. I don't know why? Pitchers in MLB? Because it looks bad?

I go with whatever docs say all the time but yet this one time it just isn't working.

Second round and have a team doc do whatever procedures and PT staff work the arm back into shape- ok fine, but top three?

It gets worse for me- I'm pessimistic to the point I'm wondering half expectant the arm w bad elbow gets injured.

He's been my #2 since the end of the college season. I probably would take Williams over him but I can see why you like Daniels more.

He's been my #2 since the end of the college season. I probably would take Williams over him but I can see why you like Daniels more.
After finally getting through most of the QB tape I wanted to for prep: I decided if he goes to the Redskins at 2, I'm moving him ahead of Williams to 1.01 in my SF ranks. His rushing ability raises his floor so high, he could basically play as poorly as Justin Fields and still finish in the top 10. Rookie QBs are so difficult to project, it feels asinine to push that projection out to what/where/how he will be 3 years from now. I'll take his uber safe floor of rushing, and if he puts even mediocre passing game with it, I don't see how he will bust in fantasy.

I decided if he goes to the Redskins at 2, I'm moving him ahead of Williams
Curious, what about WAS would cause you to bump him up? I want to love Daniels but don't see a lot of landing spots that would make me any more enthusiastic unless something unexpected happens.

Curious, what about WAS would cause you to bump him up? I want to love Daniels but don't see a lot of landing spots that would make me any more enthusiastic unless something unexpected happens.
Well I feel the same way and its because McLaurin, Dotson, and the WR they draft in the first couple of rounds will be a very good stable of WRs. And I have more faith in Washington's overall team/depth/talent than Chicago's team. While our GM/Coaches/Owners are new to DC, they are a much more proven commodity than what they have in Chicago. I'm betting on their ability to scout and get the right personnel in place more than Chicago. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Maye and Daniels end up better NFL QBs than Caleb Williams. :scared:

This is a pretty NFL vs fantasy issue in my opinion. Personally, I think Daniels is the 3rd or 4th best QB in this draft, but fantasy wise, that rushing ability gives him such a high floor. Same logic as to why Justin Fields was a better fantasy QB than Justin Herbert, despite not being anywhere near the NFL QB.

I'm also of the belief he goes to Washington, which I think should be music to the Patriots ears.

This is a pretty NFL vs fantasy issue in my opinion. Personally, I think Daniels is the 3rd or 4th best QB in this draft, but fantasy wise, that rushing ability gives him such a high floor. Same logic as to why Justin Fields was a better fantasy QB than Justin Herbert, despite not being anywhere near the NFL QB.
Agreed. When landing spots are determined, I expect many fantasy drafts will eventually have Daniels going before Caleb due to that rushing ability/floor.

Well I feel the same way and its because McLaurin, Dotson, and the WR they draft in the first couple of rounds will be a very good stable of WRs. And I have more faith in Washington's overall team/depth/talent than Chicago's team. While our GM/Coaches/Owners are new to DC, they are a much more proven commodity than what they have in Chicago. I'm betting on their ability to scout and get the right personnel in place more than Chicago. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Maye and Daniels end up better NFL QBs than Caleb Williams. :scared:
What do you think of the QB that ends up in New England? Seems like less to work with there than either Washington or Chicago.

Yeah pretty much because of the draft capital and what ffmail said. The combination of both, with that rushing floor is what would have me bump him. If he falls in the draft, I'll take that as a sign the teams are seeing something I'm missing and Caleb might be the "safer" play.

Golly, if Daniels goes to WAS, I wonder if there will be a bunch of irrelevant dumb ccomparisons to RGIII.
why dumb?
Differentl players. Different front office. Different coaches. Different offense. Different OWNER.

To compare a guy to another guy because he played for the same team over a decade ago seems to be completely useless to me.

Maybe not dumb. That's a bit harsh.

Pointless and irrelevant. Completely irrelevant. That's what I meant by dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread