What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Joe Burrow, CIN (1 Viewer)

Burrow had talked up being a team 1st guy, and not needing to be the highest paid guy, and being like Tom Brady.

I'm a little disappointed but not surprised.

who is he supposed to make less than?
Anyone he wants. If he wants weapons on both sides of the ball he could have taken less. Bengals will just need to draft very well the next couple years.
He can and likely will restructure as opportunities become available, but if they have the money to pay him now he should get what he can

Burrow had talked up being a team 1st guy, and not needing to be the highest paid guy, and being like Tom Brady.

I'm a little disappointed but not surprised.

who is he supposed to make less than?
Anyone he wants. If he wants weapons on both sides of the ball he could have taken less. Bengals will just need to draft very well the next couple years.
He can and likely will restructure as opportunities become available, but if they have the money to pay him now he should get what he can
100%. Teams can and do salary cap gymnastics when they need to in order to get guys they want.

Still don't see how you can't criticize a guy for eating up the cap. It's just a fact. There is a limit to cap gymnastics. Guys that want to win badly enough figure out cap-friendly ways to do it. Mahomes is getting less than he's worth and signed a deal replete with roster bonuses that aren't guaranteed money.

Why couldn't Burrow?

Still don't see how you can't criticize a guy for eating up the cap. It's just a fact. There is a limit to cap gymnastics. Guys that want to win badly enough figure out cap-friendly ways to do it. Mahomes is getting less than he's worth and signed a deal replete with roster bonuses that aren't guaranteed money.

Why couldn't Burrow?
Yeah. Look at Kelce’s deal coupled with Mahomes. And the fact that they like winning Super Bowls.

Yeah. Look at Kelce’s deal coupled with Mahomes. And the fact that they like winning Super Bowls.

One thing I will say is they've both alluded to the fact that they'd like to make more. They just haven't pushed the issue. One thing you hope is that it doesn't embitter them. But yeah, I need to see the logistics of Burrow's deal before I comment too strongly.

Why couldn't Burrow?
You wanna win with an expensive QB?

Draft better.

They knew he was was good, they knew he was gonna cost. Why do QBs need to give up millions to help front offices who make bad investments?

What did KC get with Mahomes savings? Juju?Hooray cap space

Why couldn't Burrow?
Genuinely asking, does the money being unguaranteed actually help anything? If Mahomes stays healthy and plays all his years, he gets all the money, right? And it all hits the cap?

What did KC get with Mahomes savings? Juju?Hooray cap space

That's probably a poor example to use given that JuJu had a good year and we saw what just happened the other night in KC. Weird, even, that you'd use KC as an example.

Why do QBs need to give up millions to help front offices who make bad investments?

Your comment is sort of implying something that doesn't happen. It's not like the Minnesota Twins of Carl Pohlad yore whereby accepting a lesser contract you're giving ownership a break and letting the front office line its own pockets at your expense. There's a zero-sum game you have with the other players on your own squad.

Now as to your literal point, he should know that any front office is limited in both knowledge and in efficacy of their decisions based on predictions. Are some F.O.'s better than others at what they do? Sure. But It's not like the Bengals' FO has been bad at their job. At all. They've been quite good, in fact, roster construction and the OL notwithstanding. How can you quibble with an F.O. that just went to the Super Bowl and lost in the AFC Championship Game because of a bad penalty? You really can't quibble too drastically.

I get wanting the guaranteed money and that it might only come once, but you've gotta know that you might not be winning in the not-so-distant future if you can't re-sign Higgins and Chase and make necessary improvements to the offensive line. Not to mention their defense yet, which is where they've spent a lot of their savings on Burrow not eating into the cap yet.

I don't know. Not everything is a labor issue where labor and management are at odds. Perhaps that's just our worldview colliding, but I really don't see how distributing your cap money to fellow players "help(s) a front ofice who make(s) bad investments" when the investments they've made have been top notch.

Why couldn't Burrow?
Genuinely asking, does the money being unguaranteed actually help anything? If Mahomes stays healthy and plays all his years, he gets all the money, right? And it all hits the cap?

This is the best answer I got with a quick search. I know front offices desire it. The math is a bit stickier for me.

Unlike a signing bonus, the amount of a roster bonus is not prorated over the lifetime of a player's contract. Thus, roster bonuses are often used by teams that prefer to front-load the salary cap impact of a contract and lessen the impact on future years

I don't know. Not everything is a labor issue where labor and management are at odds. Perhaps that's just our worldview colliding, but I really don't see how distributing your cap money to fellow players "help(s) a front ofice who make(s) bad investments" when the investments they've made have been top notch.
Seems to me like people want all the top QBs to take less money for their teams whether the team made top notch investments or not.

The top QBs cost what they cost for a reason. teams are not walking away from big QBs because the money can be spent better elsewhere. Khalil Herbert averaged 6 yards a carry because Justin Fields. He's not a 6 ypc running back. So the QB can get 5 mill/year [production out of 2 mill/year players. That's why they get paid.

Seems to me like people want all the top QBs to take less money for their teams whether the team made top notch investments or not.

Every organization wants to run more efficiently. The rub you seem to have is that the idiots are running the show, why should anyone bail them out? I don't really know what to tell you. KC and Cincinnati are awfully good examples of teams doing right, personnel-wise, by their QBs. Yes, the Bengals OL has been suspect. So was KC's in that Tampa SB because they were hurt. But in general, you can't quibble with the results, notwithstanding the egregious CEH pick that really had me doubting for a minute if Brett Veach wasn't the product of lucking into Mahomes and John Dorsey's holdovers.

I also think what you get when the average fan speaks about wanting to keep QB salaries down is threefold in its outlook.

One, the average fan can't comprehend the salary to begin with. Seems unfair in a world where teachers and workers can't get paid a decent buck.

Secondly, if they can, they can't comprehend why a QB makes so much more than an inside linebacker or running back because the average fan views a team as a meritocratic concept where teammates are generally (generally) holding each other in equal regard and importance to the team. Now, the past twenty or thirty years has sort of disproven this in the NFL, but the average fan still holds basic concepts like these dear.

And thirdly, the average fan wants to win and knows that if the quarterback takes all of the pie, it's going to be harder to do so. So that's probably why you see so many people arguing for the QB to take less -- so the team and, in turn, the fan can win.

And not every fan satisfies condition one, which I think is where your distrust in the fan asking somebody like Burrow to take less money comes from. Some of us are fine or have made peace with the exorbitant salaries of athletes. It's the third one that really takes precedence for most fans, I think. They want a hometown or affiliated winner.

Honestly as a Bengals fan, though I would be ecstatic if Burrow said "I'm going to take half the going rate, increase my expected career Super Bowl wins by 53%, and with endorsement money and investing, be a billionaire by age 40. I'll be just fine." But at the same time, 25% of current cap (could be significantly less than 25% in the later years of the contract, due to cap increases) for an asset as critical as Joe? I couldn't possibly not just be happy for him.

That's not a good reason to ask one guy to take less millions. It's a common reason. it's not a realistic one.

Yeah, it's a pretty tough question to ask or proposition to posit to someone. That they should take less, that is. I wish I could find Henry Ford's sterling dissection of the view that Tom Brady played for less money. He got the details of Brady's contract and worked out mathematically how it really wasn't less money in the end, just team-friendly. In no way did Brady lose money off his deals, Ford argued.

Cap will increase and the team will do their salary cap wizardry. Having joe burrow is such an advantage over the field in real life…it’s why he’s what he’s worth

Cap will increase and the team will do their salary cap wizardry. Having joe burrow is such an advantage over the field in real life…it’s why he’s what he’s worth
And when you sign a guy to a long term deal, you can plan ahead.

Jalen Hurts' new contract isn't a problem for the next few years. His cap numbers the next few years: 6.1 million, 13.5 million, 21.7 million, 31.7 million

People took the rookie contract thing waaaaay too far.

Joe Burrow completed 14-of-31 passes for 82 yards in the Bengals 24-3, Week 1 loss to the Browns.

It was a miserable day from start to finish for Burrow. He appeared flustered by the rainy Cleveland weather at times and the Browns’ constant pressure only worsened his timing and accuracy. His 82 yards were a career-low and the three points are the fewest by a Bengals offense in a Joe Burrow start. His dreadful day was punctuated by a fourth-down sack that set up a Deshaun Watson touchdown to functionally end the game in the fourth quarter. Burrow was eventually given the final few minutes of the game off. Better days are ahead for the $275-million dollar man, though a Week 2 matchup with the Ravens is far from easy. He remains a top-end QB1 for Week 2 despite the poor opener.

Overpaid by a few dollars.

You guys read the thread asking if a fbg could pass for 150 yards….which one of you suited up today in Burrows uniform

Joe Burrow had a pretty harsh looking calf issue early in camp, he was shut down until right before Week 1 opener.
I am concerned after watching Rodgers and his Achilles rupture, he also had a calf issue he dealt with all summer
And we all remember Kevin Durant for Golden State, had a calf issue and then he ruptures his Achilles

I don't know that Burrow is any more of a risk but calf issues can lead to Achilles issues, wish Cinci would slow their roll
The contract to him being cleared to Week 1 all felt very rushed.

Joe Burrow had a pretty harsh looking calf issue early in camp, he was shut down until right before Week 1 opener.
I am concerned after watching Rodgers and his Achilles rupture, he also had a calf issue he dealt with all summer
And we all remember Kevin Durant for Golden State, had a calf issue and then he ruptures his Achilles

I don't know that Burrow is any more of a risk but calf issues can lead to Achilles issues, wish Cinci would slow their roll
I agree with this 100%. One of our local sports talk guys has been talking about this for awhile. Not just on Burrow but other athletes and how calf injuries are sometimes pre-cursors to achilles injuries.

It feels like the “is it rust” or “is he still injured” debate needs more attention.

But…there’s little to suggest everything’s gonna suddenly be alright, and I’m tempted to sit Higgins…probably won’t…but can anyone find a reason for optimism that we’re not in for another horrible stinker this week?

It feels like the “is it rust” or “is he still injured” debate needs more attention.

But…there’s little to suggest everything’s gonna suddenly be alright, and I’m tempted to sit Higgins…probably won’t…but can anyone find a reason for optimism that we’re not in for another horrible stinker this week?
Biased Bengals fan, but I wouldn't be particularly worried about the Bengals offense, even as soon as this week. Obviously depends who you have that can start in his stead.

Derrik Klassen
If what Joe Burrow showed on Sunday is all he’s capable of right now, then he’s clearly not right. Didn’t look like himself at all.

I charted Burrow’s performance to help visualize exactly how bad, and different, he was vs Cleveland:

Joe Burrow Week 1 Charting Review

Matt Harmon
Every aspect of Burrow’s game was affected by the injury and the missed time over the offseason. This was the most apparent when Burrow tried, and failed, to drive the ball.”

The Achilles injury is from that worthless fake turf combined with the real grass cleats these guys still wear. It's mind boggling how little attention the NFL, teams, and shoe companies pay to this problem. Even the "turf" shoes are poorly designed for turf. Unlike real grass, if one of your outer studs gets caught up, there is zero give and it's an ankle sprain at best, torn ACL or ruptured Achilles or Broken bones at worst.

Anyone sitting him?

Regret not playing cousins over him last bjght

Have Richardson in another league and I think I’m going with a rich

I am playing Goff over him. Sure, Burrow was horrible last week, but the real issue is he has a recent history of playing poorly against the Ravens. They played three times last year and those three games were among Burrow’s worst of the year.

On the other hand Baltimore is missing both Marcus Williams and Marlon Humphrey.
That’s what I’m lookin at. IIRC Mullen is also out still.

Plus if they go 0-2 in the division to start the season it’s a massive uphill battle.

And the Ravens have a limited Andrews and no Dobbins.

I’m feeling a CIN win & cover.

I'm thinking 80% Burrow plays well but not great for a CIN win and 20% that the calf is still stiff, he blows out his Achilles, is done for this year and never the same. I hope/wish they would rest him until he is fully healthy and not risk everything they have to increase their chances in the next couple of games.

I'm thinking 80% Burrow plays well but not great for a CIN win and 20% that the calf is still stiff, he blows out his Achilles, is done for this year and never the same. I hope/wish they would rest him until he is fully healthy and not risk everything they have to increase their chances in the next couple of games.
20% that I quit football for life and go live in a hole in the ground? Seems a little high.

I am playing Goff over him. Sure, Burrow was horrible last week, but the real issue is he has a recent history of playing poorly against the Ravens. They played three times last year and those three games were among Burrow's worst of the year.

Joe Burrow has a 101.0 passer rating with 1,556 yards 9 TD's and 3 Int's. in 5 games vs the Ravens in his career.
"You make the choice"

so 0% chance that Baltimore wins and Burrow's career isn't basically over? lol

so 0% chance that Baltimore wins and Burrow's career isn't basically over? lol
Don't overthink it. Actually just don't think it.

Okay, I'm not a doctor and shouldn't do percentages, but Achilles tears, when they happen, often follow calf strains where the calf isn't as flexible as usual. I just seems extremely high risk for very little gain - your fantasy team's fortunes this week not withstanding..

Okay, I'm not a doctor and shouldn't do percentages, but Achilles tears, when they happen, often follow calf strains where the calf isn't as flexible as usual. I just seems extremely high risk for very little gain - your fantasy team's fortunes this week not withstanding..
I think if there was even a 10% chance that he tears his Achillies this game, no chance cinci would play him

I'm a Bengals fan and have no fantasy investment in any Bengals players, and sitting Burrow would not even be a consideration. Granted, I'm not a doctor either, and obviously the team knows a lot more about his condition and risk than I do.

Tweaked his calf. Going to see how it feels tomorrow. I have a bad feeling he is going to miss games.
Agree. The soft part of their schedule is coming up, and normally I'd think maybe they just sit him for 5 weeks until after their bye (Rams, Titans, Cardinals, Seahawks), but with the 0-2 start, they can't afford to go 2-2 in those games, plus those teams are all seeming better than originally expected.

Users who are viewing this thread