What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Josh Allen, BUF (1 Viewer)

He's sitting on someone's bench who's struggling at RB2 and I'm thinking of "buying low" with someone like Duke Johnson as a former Cam owner. I think Allen has a good chance of finishing in the top 7-8 with high upside and you don't have to think about matchups too much because of his rushing floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the Bills have played 2 lousy teams to start this season,
It's important to note that while the Giants were bad from the word go, the Jets were a solid team heading into week 1 and turned into a tire fire over about a 24 hour period after we played them.  They're going to lose a ton of games in the next several weeks, but it's because they're starting some guy off the street at QB, not because their roster is bad otherwise.  

I know some fans are looking ahead at the schedule and automatically chalking up the second Jets game as a win, but that's in week 17, and the Jets will be exponentially better in week 17 than they are in week 3.  (We should still win anyway, but you get the point).

It's important to note that while the Giants were bad from the word go, the Jets were a solid team heading into week 1 and turned into a tire fire over about a 24 hour period after we played them.  They're going to lose a ton of games in the next several weeks, but it's because they're starting some guy off the street at QB, not because their roster is bad otherwise.  

I know some fans are looking ahead at the schedule and automatically chalking up the second Jets game as a win, but that's in week 17, and the Jets will be exponentially better in week 17 than they are in week 3.  (We should still win anyway, but you get the point).
Uh, Ivan. The Jets have a total of -- I think, don't quote me -- less than ten guys we drafted not in the first round still with the team from the Maccagnan era. That's five years. We had gaping holes, and plastered and spackled over them, hoping nobody would notice.

The Jets should have won Week One with a full roster and, if they haven't packed it in, will be a game opponent Week Seventeen, but they're not world beaters. They're mediocre, at best, what you saw Monday night at worst. A lousy team. 

Uh, Ivan. The Jets have a total of -- I think, don't quote me -- less than ten guys we drafted not in the first round still with the team from the Maccagnan era. That's five years. We had gaping holes, and plastered and spackled over them, hoping nobody would notice.

The Jets should have won Week One with a full roster and, if they haven't packed it in, will be a game opponent Week Seventeen, but they're not world beaters. They're mediocre, at best, what you saw Monday night at worst. A lousy team. 
I don't mean to say that they're world-beaters, just that they're a decent team with Darnold.  And the defense wasn't the problem on Monday night, which is what's important for the purposes of this thread.

I don't mean to say that they're world-beaters, just that they're a decent team with Darnold.  And the defense wasn't the problem on Monday night, which is what's important for the purposes of this thread.
That's good that you reminded me to check. Sometimes I forget what thread I'm in. Good points, all.

I've picked up Case Keenum as a week 6 bye replacement on the couple of teams that I have Josh Allen as quarterback.  Keenum plays the Dolphins week 6.
Good thought. I might look at that.  There are some QBs on my waiver wire who pair up well with Allen's schedule, which I may have to think about if the Cam situation (my previous #1) gets any worse.

Good thought. I might look at that.  There are some QBs on my waiver wire who pair up well with Allen's schedule, which I may have to think about if the Cam situation (my previous #1) gets any worse.
With the exception of picking up Keenum as a week 6 bye replacement, I'm planning on freeballing it with Allen.  Even if Allen ends up a bust, the waiver wire is going to be raining quality quarterbacks come weeks 9-13 because of the crazy depth at the position.  But I am confident that Allen won't be a bust.  His rushing ability gives him a floor of 10th highest scoring quarterback.  He has top-3 potential if he has truly developed into an average passing quarterback.

Looks like any speculation of Allen being a worthwhile fantasy starter can be put to bed. Probably droppable in most formats.
What?  He’s been one of the better fantasy QBs since the end of last season.  Even in one of his worst games he just put up almost 20 points

Vincent Frank‏Verified account @VincentFrankNFL 2h2 hours ago

Last 11 games.

• Josh Allen: 2,778 total yards, 19 TD, 11 INT
  • Jared Goff: 2,591 total yards, 13 TD, 11 INT

Josh Allen remains in the concussion protocol.

Allen should be considered questionable for the Bills' Week 5 matchup against the Titans. They have a Week 6 bye, so it wouldn't be surprising if Matt Barkley got the start this week in an effort to not rush Allen back before he's ready. Allen's practice participation should tell us plenty, as he'll need to be more than a limited participant by Friday to have a realistic shot at suiting up Sunday. His absence would be a general downgrade to the entire offense, particularly stud field-stretching WR John Brown.

SOURCE: Chris Brown on Twitter.

Sep 30, 2019, 4:05 PM ET

Josh Allen remains in the concussion protocol but participated in individual drills at Wednesday's practice.

Allen is also sitting in on team meetings Wednesday. suggesting he's further along in the protocol. Allen will be up against it to get cleared in time for Sunday against the Titans. If cleared, he'll be more a high-end QB2 in a defensive battle.

SOURCE: Marcel Louis-Jacques on Twitter

Oct 2, 2019, 11:42 AM ET

Josh Allen (concussion) remained sidelined Thursday.

There were Wednesday signs that Allen might get cleared to face the Titans, but he is quickly running out of time. It's looking better than 50-50 that it will be Matt Barkley under center in Nashville. It's debatable how much of a downgrade it will really be for John Brown and Cole Beasley. It could arguably be a positive for Beasley.

SOURCE: Chris Brown on Twitter

Oct 3, 2019, 2:35 PM ET

Josh Allen (concussion) is questionable for the Bills' Week 5 matchup against the Titans.

Allen practiced in full Friday and has a real shot to suit up Sunday. His presence would be great news for the entire offense, as his plus mobility and never-ending arm strength forces defenses to account for pretty much the entire field regardless of how many mistakes the Bills' franchise QB might make throughout any given afternoon. Still, this isn't the most fantasy-friendly situation to target: The Bills-Titans' matchup currently boasts a week-low game total of just 38.5 points.

SOURCE: Bills on Twitter.

Oct 4, 2019, 2:39 PM ET

I have no idea where this particular blurb came from on Thursday, but Allen wasn’t “sidelined” on Thursday. He took part in all individual drills and passes “against air” and was listed as a limited participant for the team portion of practice that the media doesn’t see. The trick is that since QBs can’t be hit in practice, a QB could theoretically take part fully in team drills and still qualify as a “limited participant”.

I’d say the odds are pretty good that he plays Sunday. I’m not sure how a guy’s brain can be totally normal in less than a week after looking like he got knocked out, but here we are.

We will know one way or the other by 4pm tomorrow as that is the deadline for signing anyone up from the practice squad. The Bills have an open roster spot, and if Allen isn’t likely to go, the Bills will sign David Webb off the practice squad.

I have no idea where this particular blurb came from on Thursday, but Allen wasn’t “sidelined” on Thursday. He took part in all individual drills and passes “against air” and was listed as a limited participant for the team portion of practice that the media doesn’t see. The trick is that since QBs can’t be hit in practice, a QB could theoretically take part fully in team drills and still qualify as a “limited participant”.

I’d say the odds are pretty good that he plays Sunday. I’m not sure how a guy’s brain can be totally normal in less than a week after looking like he got knocked out, but here we are.

We will know one way or the other by 4pm tomorrow as that is the deadline for signing anyone up from the practice squad. The Bills have an open roster spot, and if Allen isn’t likely to go, the Bills will sign David Webb off the practice squad.
Allen was literally knocked out on that play, but honestly he looked fine once he regained consciousness.  At the time, I actually sort of thought he might return to the game, but I've learned since then that "loss of consciousness" is an automatic "you are done for this week" under the concussion protocol.  If we hadn't cut McDermott, I would say that he's very likely to start this week.  The fact that we gratuitously opened up a roster spot worries me though.  (Could be for Duke Williams, and the Bills are deliberately being coy about the whole situation).

I wonder if this concussion will make Josh a bit gun shy about running with the ball.  I imagine it will at least in the short term.  His fantasy value is limited if he doesn't run with the ball aggressively/recklessly.

His next 5 weeks are pretty nice

Miami x 2

Washington

Philly

Cleveland

I'm adding him where I need QB help if he's on waivers.  I traded Rivers for him straight up in 1.  Figure I can rely on the matchups for 5 weeks and figure out the rest along the way.

His next 5 weeks are pretty nice

Miami x 2

Washington

Philly

Cleveland

I'm adding him where I need QB help if he's on waivers.  I traded Rivers for him straight up in 1.  Figure I can rely on the matchups for 5 weeks and figure out the rest along the way.
I just picked him up in place of Goff.

Debated whether or not to drop Goff for Allen, but decided to drop Stafford instead.

Don't know if I have the huevos to play Goff after last week's dud (and loss because of him).

Although Goff has a fantastic match up this weekend. 
Can’t be better than Allen’s. The Dolphins pass defense is so bad that it essentially turns their opposing QB into the #1 QB in the league.

The overall passer rating against the Dolphins this season is 131.0. That’s really bad. In standard fantasy scoring, they are giving up 28.8 points per game to QBs.

ETA: Going back to when they have data from in 1986, FootballOutsiders grade the Dolphins out to the 3rd worst defense ever over that time.

Is Allen in play over Dak who won’t have Cooper or am I overthinking it.
Two of the most accurate experts so far this season on weekly rankings (Pat Fitzmaurice and Joe Bond) have Allen ranked #11 this week and Prescott #8.  Phillies secondary is godawful.

Kyler Murray is ranked #5 this week btw.

Josh Allen completed 16-of-26 passes for 202 yards and two touchdowns in the Bills' 31-21, Week 7 win over the Dolphins.

He rushed four times for 32 yards and a two-point conversion as a runner. The Bills came out extremely sloppy from their bye week and went into the half trailing 17-9 as they were booed off the field by the home crowd. Buffalo kept shooting itself in the foot with multiple first-half penalties and settling for field goals. Allen eventually started playing better, completing his first eight passes of the second half and hooked up with John Brown (20 yards) and Cole Beasley (3) for his touchdowns. The Bills ran just 51 offensive plays on the day as the Dolphins clocked them in time of possession, which included a 10-minute drive to open the third quarter. Allen will be a QB1 in a dream home matchup with the Eagles in Week 8.

Winds are supposed to be 29 mph at kickoff with the possibility of showers.  It's too bad since it's a nice matchup for Josh.  The Eagles have given up the 6th most points to opposing quarterbacks.

Any chance he runs more?
The Philly defense is probably going to put extra attention on stopping Allen from running.  He'll probably still run a lot.  Here are how opposing quarterbacks have rushed against the Eagles:

Week 1 Case Keenum 0-0-0

Week 2 Matt Ryan 2-3-0

Week 3 Matthew Stafford 3-1-0

Week 4 Aaron Rodgers 5-46-0

Week 5 Luke Falk 0-0-0

Week 6 Kirk Cousins 2-0-0

Week 7 Dak Prescott 5-30-1

The Philly defense is probably going to put extra attention on stopping Allen from running.  He'll probably still run a lot.  Here are how opposing quarterbacks have rushed against the Eagles:

Week 1 Case Keenum 0-0-0

Week 2 Matt Ryan 2-3-0

Week 5 Luke Falk 0-0-0

The base Eagles defense basically puts a safety in the box at all times. It’s a big reason why they’ve been so good at stopping the run and so bad at stopping the pass. With weather like today, that probably works really well for them and goes a long way towards neutralizing Allen as a runner.

The best thing the Bills can do is force that safety to cover a TE or a RB out of the backfield as much as possible. Putting a RB out wide or sending him in a route from the backfield could open up the middle of the field and the Eagles have a DT starting this week who they signed off their practice squad this week. So the potential for huge plays on the ground exists, but I wouldn’t count on them.

Week 1 Case Keenum 0-0-0

Week 2 Matt Ryan 2-3-0

Week 5 Luke Falk 0-0-0

So, the only two that are/have been threats with their legs (Rodgers/Dak, although admittedly, I don’t know much about Falk) did well on the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread