What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (3 Viewers)

While there should be some garbage stat opportunities, if you're starting Fields against KC you've got some stones.
Probably dumb but I like his rushing yards prop over. Don’t know the status of Nate Davis this week, but the LT Braxton Jones went on IL today. He will miss a min of a month. If they can’t block, they should play Kmet less, and use a blocking TE.
LOL. They other two TEs on the team are Tonyon and Mercedes Lewis. Neither of which are known for their blocking ability.

Hey he’s older than dirt - hardly played any snaps this year - but Mercedes Lewis is the quintessential inline blocking TE. Rarely lined up in the slot or outside, his career route participation is 74% (he stays in to block at lest 1/4 of the time, one year it was over 40%.) His first 5 years he graded out mid-80s in run blocking & has always been one of the best blocking TEs.

OK sorry back to discussing what the Bears will do next year with 2 of the first 5 picks…

I hope the Bears run the ball more too. Like how are you only running the ball 11x with your three very capable running backs, and Justin Fields? They could have one of the better running games in the league if they weren't so incompetent, and the offensive line issues of course. But either way they need balance there.

While there should be some garbage stat opportunities, if you're starting Fields against KC you've got some stones.
Probably dumb but I like his rushing yards prop over. Don’t know the status of Nate Davis this week, but the LT Braxton Jones went on IL today. He will miss a min of a month. If they can’t block, they should play Kmet less, and use a blocking TE.
LOL. They other two TEs on the team are Tonyon and Mercedes Lewis. Neither of which are known for their blocking ability.

Hey he’s older than dirt - hardly played any snaps this year - but Mercedes Lewis is the quintessential inline blocking TE. Rarely lined up in the slot or outside, his career route participation is 74% (he stays in to block at lest 1/4 of the time, one year it was over 40%.) His first 5 years he graded out mid-80s in run blocking & has always been one of the best blocking TEs.

OK sorry back to discussing what the Bears will do next year with 2 of the first 5 picks…
Waste them is the chalk bet.

Is there a world where the Bears draft Caleb but keep Fields and use Fields like Taysom Hill?
The Bears would have him one more year (2024) and then not pick his 5th year option up. I couldn’t imagine Fields would want to do that unless maybe the Bears drafted a pocket QB or very early in the year as the rookie gets eased into things. I think it’s more likely Fields get traded for peanuts.

"Tim Jenkins, the quarterback guru said on 670 the score yesterday that he believes it's the new drop back that they're making Field's do where he's leading with his left foot instead of his right. When you watch his dropbacks now it seems slower. It's almost as if his coordination is off and Tim seems to think, what that's done is thrown fields timing off and that's why he's hanging out to the ball longer. He's not processing because he doesn't feel coordinated."

"You guys' jobs are to get clicks. So, it's like, take my quote out of context and we can just say that," Fields said. "If you paint the picture on the inside out, y'all are trying to split us up.
"I'm not blaming anything on the coaches, I'm never going to blame anything on the coaches. I'm never going to blame anything on my teammates. Whatever happens in the game, I will take all the blame. I don't care if it's a dropped pass, it should have been a (better) pass. Put it on me. Never when you hear anything come out of my mouth to where I will blame it on somebody else in this organization, my teammates, never will you hear that. I just want to clear that up.

"Just know that I need to play better -- that's it, point blank. That's what I should have said in the first place, but I was trying to give y'all more details because I appreciate y'all for doing what y'all do and I try to give y'all the information y'all want for you guys' job. I'm going to do that and in the future I just ask you guys to put the whole quote out. Don't cut it up into words and pieces to make it seem like I am saying something that I'm not."

Fields initially told reporters during his standard Wednesday news conference that he needed to be able to play freer.

"My goal this week is to say, 'eff it' and go out there and play football how I know how to play football," Fields said. "That includes thinking less and just going out there and playing off of instincts, rather than say so much info in my head and data in my head, and clearly just going out there and playing football. …That's when I play my best is when I'm out there playing free and being myself. So I'm going to say kind of bump all the what I should, this and that, like pocket stuff. I'm going to go out there and be me."

Fields' earlier comments certainly weren't incendiary. If anything, they were refreshingly candid, but they did create room for a bit of controversy. After an 0-2 start, the Bears are undoubtedly searching for answers, and any suggestion of discord between player and coach will certainly fuel the flames of concern.

Head coach Matt Eberflus was also rather blunt in response to Fields' comments, acknowledging the staff and Fields all wanted the same thing: for Fields to play with his instincts, not with too much brain strain. Neither pointed to an internal conflict, which is important to note.

See, Fields scares me as a Chiefs fan this week. Desperate players/teams do desperate things in order to save their butts.

I could see Fields taking off and running a lot against the Chiefs and at least making things uncomfortable for awhile. These types of games as a Chiefs fan scare me silly. We saw it last year when they laid a turd against the Colts.
I don’t understand this take. Fields ran like crazy last year and the Bears had the worst record in the NFL.

"You guys' jobs are to get clicks. So, it's like, take my quote out of context and we can just say that," Fields said. "If you paint the picture on the inside out, y'all are trying to split us up.
"I'm not blaming anything on the coaches, I'm never going to blame anything on the coaches. I'm never going to blame anything on my teammates. Whatever happens in the game, I will take all the blame. I don't care if it's a dropped pass, it should have been a (better) pass. Put it on me. Never when you hear anything come out of my mouth to where I will blame it on somebody else in this organization, my teammates, never will you hear that. I just want to clear that up.

"Just know that I need to play better -- that's it, point blank. That's what I should have said in the first place, but I was trying to give y'all more details because I appreciate y'all for doing what y'all do and I try to give y'all the information y'all want for you guys' job. I'm going to do that and in the future I just ask you guys to put the whole quote out. Don't cut it up into words and pieces to make it seem like I am saying something that I'm not."

Fields initially told reporters during his standard Wednesday news conference that he needed to be able to play freer.

"My goal this week is to say, 'eff it' and go out there and play football how I know how to play football," Fields said. "That includes thinking less and just going out there and playing off of instincts, rather than say so much info in my head and data in my head, and clearly just going out there and playing football. …That's when I play my best is when I'm out there playing free and being myself. So I'm going to say kind of bump all the what I should, this and that, like pocket stuff. I'm going to go out there and be me."

Fields' earlier comments certainly weren't incendiary. If anything, they were refreshingly candid, but they did create room for a bit of controversy. After an 0-2 start, the Bears are undoubtedly searching for answers, and any suggestion of discord between player and coach will certainly fuel the flames of concern.

Head coach Matt Eberflus was also rather blunt in response to Fields' comments, acknowledging the staff and Fields all wanted the same thing: for Fields to play with his instincts, not with too much brain strain. Neither pointed to an internal conflict, which is important to note.
Fields seems like a good dude and teammate.

See, Fields scares me as a Chiefs fan this week. Desperate players/teams do desperate things in order to save their butts.

I could see Fields taking off and running a lot against the Chiefs and at least making things uncomfortable for awhile. These types of games as a Chiefs fan scare me silly. We saw it last year when they laid a turd against the Colts.
I don’t understand this take. Fields ran like crazy last year and the Bears had the worst record in the NFL.

Yeah, we only want him to run for FF reasons.

heard a neat stat today: how many NFL franchises have won a game since Elon Musk bought Twitter on October 22, 2022?

Dang it Bobby! You’re on a roll. I get it. Lions are doing good for the first time since before I was born. Enjoy it while it lasts. Bears were fun too when I started watching in the early eighties. 😂

heard a neat stat today: how many NFL franchises have won a game since Elon Musk bought Twitter on October 22, 2022?

Dang it Bobby! You’re on a roll. I get it. Lions are doing good for the first time since before I was born. Enjoy it while it lasts. Bears were fun too when I started watching in the early eighties. 😂

Whaaaat? Me trash one of my NFC North brethren? Midwesterners gotta stick together, man.

I only truly take joy when the Packers are flailing. Which, unfortunately, has been quite rare the past three decades.

FTP isn’t just an idiom, it’s a lifestyle choice.

One QB league. I have Mahomes. Fields dropped. Every morning I keep raising my bid amount. Ha ha. I get the Bears hate. Only a handful of fantasy players have game winning potential. Fields is one of those guys. Can have a 200 yard passing and 100 yards rushing game at any moment.

One QB league. I have Mahomes. Fields dropped. Every morning I keep raising my bid amount. Ha ha. I get the Bears hate. Only a handful of fantasy players have game winning potential. Fields is one of those guys. Can have a 200 yard passing and 100 yards rushing game at any moment.
I think it's this week, and he is tired of all the negative talk. I can definitely see Fields scrambling a lot because they will be down early against the Chiefs, and because of the blitzing Spagnolia likes to do.

Last edited:
I won't blame the Bears if they move on after this season, but he's going to go somewhere, get fixed, and be a monster.

He's done nothing but win and produce his whole life. Top QB prospect out of high school. Leads OSU to a couple of B10 championships and an undefeated season, a 66/9 TD/INT ratio and 19 rushing TDs. A career 68% completion percentage with a 178 passer rating. I find it hard to believe he suddenly has amnesia about how to be a QB and this whole thing is his fault.

In before the "NFL is a different game, different speed, more complexity, etc." crowd. I get it. These are just my personal observations. Going through my mental rolodex I can't think of a player this talented, with this kind of track record, that face-planted so thoroughly.

I'm glad he's coming to the realization he needs to 'think' pre-snap and then 'play' post-snap. It's too bad he thought of this during the week of the KC game, that's a real bad team to try and get right with. But it's a good tune-up for playing the Broncos the week after - that's a winnable game.

For fantasy, he has been great. I expect he will do just fine fantasy-wise. I have been a bit concerned with some of his interviews and pressers in the past. He seemed not himself compared to how he looked and spoke at OSU. I believe in his talent because I got to see it close up all the time. He can make all the throws and he can run but he stares down wide receivers and holds the ball way too long. However, if you think there is a world he can not be good I would flat disagree. Justin seems a bit disgruntled and the fact he chose to bring it up at a presser is not a good sign at all. He knew what he said. He meant what he said. That should be handled away from the media. He created a massive distraction and that to me is a big red flag. The Bears need an intervention and they need it today.

Fields deciding on his own that he's reverting back to one read and then take off and run. Great for his fantasy owners but not great for his future as a QB in the NFL.

I won't blame the Bears if they move on after this season, but he's going to go somewhere, get fixed, and be a monster.

He's done nothing but win and produce his whole life. Top QB prospect out of high school. Leads OSU to a couple of B10 championships and an undefeated season, a 66/9 TD/INT ratio and 19 rushing TDs. A career 68% completion percentage with a 178 passer rating. I find it hard to believe he suddenly has amnesia about how to be a QB and this whole thing is his fault.

In before the "NFL is a different game, different speed, more complexity, etc." crowd. I get it. These are just my personal observations. Going through my mental rolodex I can't think of a player this talented, with this kind of track record, that face-planted so thoroughly.

I'm glad he's coming to the realization he needs to 'think' pre-snap and then 'play' post-snap. It's too bad he thought of this during the week of the KC game, that's a real bad team to try and get right with. But it's a good tune-up for playing the Broncos the week after - that's a winnable game.
This, exactly. He's broken right now because of two coaching staffs that didn't have the luxury of bringing him along slowly. And big egos. His best situation is to move on and sit a few years behind a solid vet in a good system where a stable coaching staff can work with him until he's back to his old self.

Fields deciding on his own that he's reverting back to one read and then take off and run. Great for his fantasy owners but not great for his future as a QB in the NFL.
Yeah, that's not at all what he said.
Of course he didn't come out and explicitly say "I'm not capable of reading defenses so I'm gonna run wild baby!"

But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put together what he did say. Just watch tomorrow.

It definitely seems to be mostly Bears fans who think there's still an NFL QB in there with Fields. Gee, I wonder what is driving that? HINT: It's not just a river in Egypt

Last edited:
Yeah, that's not at all what he said.
Of course he didn't come out and explicitly say "I'm not capable of reading defenses so I'm gonna run wild baby!"

But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put together what he did say. Just watch tomorrow.
Go back and rewatch the games from post bye week last year. He absolutely wasn't a one read and run guy. He went through his progressions and most of his runs weren't on broken plays, they were on designed runs.
I don't know what will happen this weekend, but 1 read and run doesn't work in the NFL.

It definitely seems to be mostly Bears fans who think there's still an NFL QB in there with Fields. Gee, I wonder what is driving that? HINT: It's not just a river in Egypt
They're also closest to the situation, so they are more likely to do a deeper dive than a casual fan.

They're also closest to the situation, so they are more likely to do a deeper dive than a casual fan.
Are you suggesting that non Bears fans don't have eyes?
No, but there's more to see beyond the stats and the highlights

As odd as it sounds, there were some positives today. It was the most decisive he's been all year. They finally called some designed runs in the 4th quarter. Seems like his connection with DJ is growing. Couple of bad bounces turned an average day into a bad one. Everything everyone has complained about his game, he was noticably better at today.

As odd as it sounds, there were some positives today. It was the most decisive he's been all year. They finally called some designed runs in the 4th quarter. Seems like his connection with DJ is growing. Couple of bad bounces turned an average day into a bad one. Everything everyone has complained about his game, he was noticably better at today.
The rub is, no matter how badly he played today, he has Denver next week. So hard not to start him vs a team that just gave up 70 points.

Yeah in garbage time maybe. DJ did nothing for 90% of the game

The rub is, no matter how badly he played today, he has Denver next week. So hard not to start him vs a team that just gave up 70 points.
Yeah, and I couldn’t do it.

Strat- I didn’t see any positives in the first half when the game was within 4 scores. He had 27yards passing with about 4 min left in the 3rd, down 41. Im up for looking at positives as those yards count in gambling, yet he can’t get them this year. Last year, he made teams pay.

Yeah, and I couldn’t do it.

Strat- I didn’t see any positives in the first half when the game was within 4 scores. He had 27yards passing with about 4 min left in the 3rd, down 41. Im up for looking at positives as those yards count in gambling, yet he can’t get them this year. Last year, he made teams pay.
It just seems like he's making progress. Last year, he was a serviceable passer and a dynamic runner. Whatever happened that turned a serviceable passer into a...whatever he was 2 weeks ago...seems to be course correcting towards at least a serviceable passer. The wheels are still there. He's the fastest guy with the football every time he steps on a field.

Once they get him back to the serviceable / game manager level, they can build from there. Stuff was broke, for sure, but it looks like it's slowly being fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread