What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (3 Viewers)

Russell Wilson completed 18-of-30 passes for 252 yards, one touchdown and one interception in the Broncos 21-17, Week 8 win over the Jaguars.

Wilson's first half was largely underwhelming, although he did manage a six-yard touchdown pass to Jerry Jeudy, as he and the Broncos entered the third quarter down 10-7. However, on the Broncos' first drive of the second half, Wilson would go five-for-five passing for 88 yards, finding rookie tight end Greg Dulcich on three of those passes as Dulcich accounted for 78 yards on the drive. Wilson's hot hand would put the Broncos in position for a one-yard rushing touchdown by Melvin Gordon, kickstarting a strong second half for the Broncos. Wilson would get loose on a few scrambles and finished the day with 17 rushing yards, and helped set up a late scoring drive in the fourth quarter after finding K.J. Hamler for a 47-yard gain with less than four minutes to go. Wilson strung together two decent quarters of football, but the Broncos still have a lot to work on offensively as they head into their bye week. When the Broncos return in Week 10 against the Titans, Wilson should be treated as a high-end QB2.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Russell Wilson completed 21-of-42 passes for 286 yards, one touchdown and one interception in the Broncos' 17-10, Week 10 loss to the Titans.​

In a game that felt like one three-yard play on top of another, Wilson and the Broncos averaged a mere 4.3 yards per play, with their biggest play coming on a 66-yard touchdown pass to Jalen Virgil. Wilson was under attack all afternoon and taking six sacks while absorbing 18 quarterback hits as he and the Broncos struggled to move the ball all afternoon. Wilson's final play of the game, which came under pressure, ended with a desperation throw to the end zone with no Broncos receivers anywhere in sight. Cornerback Terrance Mitchell would intercept the ball and take a knee, securing the win for the Titans while pushing the Broncos to 3-6 on the season. Wilson is nothing more than a QB2 next weekend against the Raiders.
Nov 13, 2022, 4:35 PM ET

I had to look it up:

If Denver cuts him after this season, they will carry $107 million in dead cap. You have to assume they are not even capable of doing that.

If Denver rolls with him the rest of this year, AND next year, and he still hasn't improved, then they will STILL carry in 2024 $85 million in dead cap (but no salary, so negative $49 million net).
Getting back to above average, I think that's possible.

But his contract means he needs to get to superstar. That's the real problem.

His weapons are not that good, except for Javonte who'll be coming off a significant knee injury. And the change in playcalling vs a bad defense did nothing.

I had to look it up:

If Denver cuts him after this season, they will carry $107 million in dead cap. You have to assume they are not even capable of doing that.

If Denver rolls with him the rest of this year, AND next year, and he still hasn't improved, then they will STILL carry in 2024 $85 million in dead cap (but no salary, so negative $49 million net).

Absolute franchise-crippling decision to not only give up so many assets for him but then hand him that insane contract. There aren’t many teams you can write off for the next 5 years but Denver may be one of them.

I hope Wilson has a successful stint in Denver, and I'll be rooting for him, but from a fantasy standpoint, I won't be investing in him at his current ADP. His game is not necessarily one that will age well. It was his elusiveness that allowed him to buy time and find receivers deep. Watching him, his legs are just not as quick as before. During his prime he was in the same fantasy tier as Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Manning. Those QBs are all primarily pocket passers and that allows/allowed them to play deep into their 30's and in the case of Brees and Brady into their 40's. Wilson is not a pocket passer and because his legs are aging, I believe he is being over hyped. Denver, IMO, can have success if they emphasize the run and mix in the RPO. Wilson can have success as well that way, but from what I've heard from Denver, is that Wilson is dictating the offense. That is something that Manning and Brady had/have earned the right to do. Wilson has not earned that right IMO.
I tried to warn everyone.

I had to look it up:

Easily one of the worst trades of all-time.

This is what it looks like when you suck as a QB and your legs can't bail you out anymore.

I had to look it up:

This is what it looks like when you suck as a QB and your legs can't bail you out anymore.

The legacy of the Running QB. The fad that never dies but always has the same sad result.

I had to look it up:

The legacy of the Running QB. The fad that never dies but always has the same sad result.
In his career he's been to 2 superbowls (and won one of them). :lmao:

I had to look it up:

Prior to this year, when has Wilson ever sucked? Easy answer.......he hasn't.

Yeah, there is a big difference between being a QB who can run and a running QB (meaning one who looks to run first and struggles to throw it well). Wilson has always been a QB who could run, and yeah, he has been very good to great for pretty much every season in his NFL career until now. He does look like he has fallen off the map, but I do wonder if having the worst coach ever is the much bigger issue. Getting a coach with an offensive clue in there to see what he can do will really tell us if Wilson is finished or not.

Denver is 8.5 point underdogs with a 39.5 Total this week vs. Baltimore. That implies a 15 total for Denver without taking into account defense and special teams scores in the game, so really probably a couple points less than that. This is vs. a middle of the pack defense. Just an indicator of how absurdly bad Denver's offense has become.

End of article suggests cutting him is best option even with all the cash and cap hit. There is 0 chance that happens this offseason when you also factor in all the draft capital. They have to try a new coach first. Then maybe that's a consideration after next year if situation is not any better. Maybe slim chance they can trade him this offseason but hard to see that happening.

Listen, I’ve long absolutely hated Wilson the guy as he comes across outside the field of play. Smarmy, arrogant and yes cringe.

He deserves a coaching change and some fresh players though to see if a different scheme can bring him back into form, he’s earnt that much with his overall play and achievements prior to this season.

Russell Wilson completed 17-of-22 attempts for 189 yards in the Broncos' Week 13 loss to the Ravens, adding two rushes for 21 yards.​

The Broncos ran their same old balanced offense against a vulnerable Baltimore secondary fresh off giving up a big outing to Trevor Lawrence and Zay Jones, with Wilson operating like a functional game manager. He dinked and dunked his way down the field on a couple decent first half drives that ended in field goals. The Broncos, averaging the lowest points per game in the NFL this season, did not manage a touchdown in the 10-9 loss. One of the highest paid quarterbacks in league history, Wilson is on pace for 12.3 touchdown passes in 2022. It's as remarkable as it is horrifying. Wilson is not fantasy relevant.
Dec 4, 2022, 4:15 PM ET

Listen, I’ve long absolutely hated Wilson the guy as he comes across outside the field of play. Smarmy, arrogant and yes cringe.

He deserves a coaching change and some fresh players though to see if a different scheme can bring him back into form, he’s earnt that much with his overall play and achievements prior to this season.

Earnt. One of the vastly underutilized non words. And you are correct on all points.

New coach and some healthy skill and o’line players and hopefully see improvement in 2023. If not, cut him or trade him before the 5th day of league year 2024 and that big 2025 salary goes guaranteed. Designate him a post June cut and start your rebuild as they would have all their picks that year. It’d be painful but if he’s truly cooked best to move on as soon as you can.

Can cut Patrick and Sutton after ‘23 for cap space if rebuilding. Maybe even trade Jeudy and draft some new WR’s during your rebuild. Also can free up cap space on the defensive side after ‘23 pretty easily.

New coach and some healthy skill and o’line players and hopefully see improvement in 2023. If not, cut him or trade him before the 5th day of league year 2024 and that big 2025 salary goes guaranteed. Designate him a post June cut and start your rebuild as they would have all their picks that year. It’d be painful but if he’s truly cooked best to move on as soon as you can.

Can cut Patrick and Sutton after ‘23 for cap space if rebuilding. Maybe even trade Jeudy and draft some new WR’s during your rebuild. Also can free up cap space on the defensive side after ‘23 pretty easily.

Who the hell would trade for Wilson now?

Who the hell would trade for Wilson now?
Teams traded for Goff, Osweiler, Wentz, etc. They may have to kick in some picks and/or eat some salary. Can't make it work? Cut him.

Sounds like they have to wait until 2024 for any real move to make any sense. Maybe snag someone this off-season who can at least function as a QB for relatively cheap and let Wilson & his money rest on the bench. A moderately functioning offense with this defense is a playoff team.

Teams traded for Goff, Osweiler, Wentz, etc. They may have to kick in some picks and/or eat some salary. Can't make it work? Cut him.

This is unprecedented, Albert Pujols contract level.

This is some real cold revenge from an old AFC West rival in the Seahawks to Denver. Soul crushing stuff in the world of Fandom. Hard to foresee Wilson getting any better at this point. He looks done mentally too, like he knows he's a bill of goods and is just waiting to get pulled permanently. Tragedy for the FF prospects of this WR corps.

Absolute franchise-crippling decision to not only give up so many assets for him but then hand him that insane contract. There aren’t many teams you can write off for the next 5 years but Denver may be one of them.

Wow. You really think there aren't many teams you can write off for the next FIVE years and Denver's one of them?

We'll see about that, and "the absolute franchise-crippling decision".

Users who are viewing this thread