What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tanney lands invite to Bills camp (1 Viewer)

hutchins929

Footballguy
Link

Impressed the hell out of me. I'm rooting for the kid to make a team. He looks to be pretty accurate!

I don't know of any quarterbacks in the NFL that can call their shoot like he did. that was fun to watch!

Last edited by a moderator:
Link

Impressed the hell out of me. I'm rooting for the kid to make a team. He looks to be pretty accurate!

I don't know of any quarterbacks in the NFL that can call their shoot like he did. that was fun to watch!
wondering where he'll be back up or third-stringer next season? because I'm pretty sure a kid this accurate will make a 53 man roster somewhere!

My guess is that he's playing for a practice squad spot. It's a great story and all, but the reality is he played DIII, is undrafted, never played against top competition, never had top coaching, and we know nothing about arm strength, ability to read defenses, comfort in the pocket, etc.

I doubt there's any way he makes a 53 man roster. He'll be lucky to make a practice squad IMO. I hope he does and he gets a chance, but let's face it, it's the longest of longshots based on nothing more than a Youtube video.

My guess is that he's playing for a practice squad spot. It's a great story and all, but the reality is he played DIII, is undrafted, never played against top competition, never had top coaching, and we know nothing about arm strength, ability to read defenses, comfort in the pocket, etc.I doubt there's any way he makes a 53 man roster. He'll be lucky to make a practice squad IMO. I hope he does and he gets a chance, but let's face it, it's the longest of longshots based on nothing more than a Youtube video.
Get out of the feel-good thread buzzkill.

Regardless of the hate cause of youtube making his name known. Kid had great stats..and small school prospects with that kind of natural talent are worth a shot. Im pulling for this kid

Its a pretty sweet video IMO. How many pros have that level of skill on placement?

I know there's an encyclopedia of things that make up a NFL QB. And that's just a piece. But wow.

My guess is that he's playing for a practice squad spot. It's a great story and all, but the reality is he played DIII, is undrafted, never played against top competition, never had top coaching, and we know nothing about arm strength, ability to read defenses, comfort in the pocket, etc.I doubt there's any way he makes a 53 man roster. He'll be lucky to make a practice squad IMO. I hope he does and he gets a chance, but let's face it, it's the longest of longshots based on nothing more than a Youtube video.
He's almost as much of a long shot as a shelf stocker at a HyVee grocery store.

He's almost as much of a long shot as a shelf stocker at a HyVee grocery store.
I'm a Bills fan. There's nothing more that I would like than for this kid to be the next Kurt Warner. Trust me. And this coaching staff and front office has certainly demonstrated that they don't care about pedigree, they only care abkut results on the field. They'll give a legit shot to anyone.But the reality is still that it's a super longshot and that his performance now against other players with more experience and better coaching is what matters, not some trick shot video where he could edit out all his failures.

I watched Alex Tanney's trick shot video over a year ago. Nationalfootballpost's Wes Bunting reported that Tanney helped himself in the Players All-Star Classic. http://www.nationalf...tock-Watch.html

QB Alex Tanney: Monmouth (6-3, 216)

Tanney didn't have a "jaw-dropping" week by any stretch. But he displayed good athleticism from under center and when asked to move around in the pocket. He looked natural when flushed and threw the ball well on the move. He gets a bit erratic with his footwork at times when trying to set his feet quickly into throws. However, when he does transfer his weight, he can and really spin the football. At worst, the guy looks like an intriguing priority free agent with a good amount of upside to his game and could end up warranting a draft pick late on day three.

Tanney likely just needs to beat out UFA Aaron Corp to win a spot on the Practice Squad. He might not be as big of a longshot here as we think.

i think he will be a great pickup because there are not many qbs in the league who are any good when a receiver is streaking for the end zone in the back of a truck with some cups on his ### or whatever and the qb ends up on a roof with a scoreboard in the way a basketball hoop some weight racks and a trampoline show up and play defensive back so i hope he prospers and kicks butt up there in buffalo and also this makes me excited for what kind of trickery magic show plays we might see from teh bills this year and i for one support great use of pick up trucks in offenssive sets take that to the bank brohans

i think he will be a great pickup because there are not many qbs in the league who are any good when a receiver is streaking for the end zone in the back of a truck with some cups on his ### or whatever and the qb ends up on a roof with a scoreboard in the way a basketball hoop some weight racks and a trampoline show up and play defensive back so i hope he prospers and kicks butt up there in buffalo and also this makes me excited for what kind of trickery magic show plays we might see from teh bills this year and i for one support great use of pick up trucks in offenssive sets take that to the bank brohans
I don't even know what this said. It almost hurt to read.

It's his schtick. I skip over his posts since they are painful to read. Poor guy might actually have some good info, but we'll never know.

My guess is that he's playing for a practice squad spot. It's a great story and all, but the reality is he played DIII, is undrafted, never played against top competition, never had top coaching, and we know nothing about arm strength, ability to read defenses, comfort in the pocket, etc.

I doubt there's any way he makes a 53 man roster. He'll be lucky to make a practice squad IMO. I hope he does and he gets a chance, but let's face it, it's the longest of longshots based on nothing more than a Youtube video.
I fully agree with the rest - I mean one can't really argue against it... it is statistically unlikely he does anything this year - but I think we get a very good idea of his arm strength in the video. I've watched those QB competitions on ESPN where they have some of the nation's top QBs do some silly crap, but the long throw has always interested me. Most guys are doing good to chunk it as hard as they can and hit 65 yards. This guy was throwing the ball accurately from 60 yards out to hit the goal post about halfway up. I'm pretty sure his arm strength is at least equal to most NFL prospects.

thanks for the nice words there fellows sorry that it is difficult now for me to post i guess ill try and do better to make you all happy and not ruin your days i dont come looking for trouble so my apologies i guess i thought most around here were cool with my problems but hey thanks for the reminder my point was that he can do a lot of magic show type stuff and even though i love that stuff and frankly wish it was like that every play i dont think most o coordinators agree wtih me hell i would like to see pistol pete type stuff all the time hondo galore but it is not going to happen so what i would like to see on the kid is some game film where he drops a noodle in the bucked to a wr streaking away on his feet and not in a truck and also not over a scoreboard or bouncing off of a field goal post or trampoline thing thats it my apologies

:lmao:

I fully agree with the rest - I mean one can't really argue against it... it is statistically unlikely he does anything this year - but I think we get a very good idea of his arm strength in the video. I've watched those QB competitions on ESPN where they have some of the nation's top QBs do some silly crap, but the long throw has always interested me. Most guys are doing good to chunk it as hard as they can and hit 65 yards. This guy was throwing the ball accurately from 60 yards out to hit the goal post about halfway up. I'm pretty sure his arm strength is at least equal to most NFL prospects.
He was on his knees from 50 yds out and hit the cross bar.

It's his schtick. I skip over his posts since they are painful to read. Poor guy might actually have some good info, but we'll never know.
If you are reading them for anything other than a laugh, you are doing it wrong.

He used to live 3 houses down from me. His dad was the varsity fb coach, and my jv bb coach. His dad also went to Monmouth college. Im rooting for him. Strong arm, smart, accurate, a good combination! He originally was invited to Pittsburgh's camp, but jumpes to Buffalo when offered.

Say what you want about his youtube video and the fact he played DIII, but he does own the NCAA record for most career TD passes so he has had success at that level. That doesn't say much, sure, I was once the tallest kid in my third grade class.

If you are reading them for anything other than a laugh, you are doing it wrong.
I wish I could read them at all. :loco:

I know I'm just nitpicking, but I have a little problem with the initial posters thread title. Says the Bills brought him in only cause his Youtube video.

Were you joking? Cause that's a silly statement. A football team is not going to bring someone in cause they posted a highligh trick shot video. The Bills may not be the best in the NFL at college evaluation, but they are not that bad.

Vince Young signs 1 year $ 2 M deal with Buffalo. I don't know if Thigpen is still in Buffalo's future plans. :confused: Tanney will now be lucky to make the practice squad.

Vince Young signs 1 year $ 2 M deal with Buffalo. I don't know if Thigpen is still in Buffalo's future plans. :confused: Tanney will now be lucky to make the practice squad.
It's assumed that Thigpen and Young will compete for the #2 QB job. Tanney may have to compete with Corp for either a #3 or practice squad spot.

It's assumed that Thigpen and Young will compete for the #2 QB job. Tanney may have to compete with Corp for either a #3 or practice squad spot.
At $2.5M, if Thigpen doesn't beat out Young, there is a good shot he's cut IMO.

Tanney may be able to throw bounce passes into garbage cans, but Vince Young can throw bounce passes in real NFL games. I'd say he's got the inside track.

Well, Tanney didn't get offered a contract by the Bills. At least not yet. And Aaron Corp got released this afternoon.

I know I'm just nitpicking, but I have a little problem with the initial posters thread title. Says the Bills brought him in only cause his Youtube video. Were you joking? Cause that's a silly statement. A football team is not going to bring someone in cause they posted a highligh trick shot video. The Bills may not be the best in the NFL at college evaluation, but they are not that bad.
Actually, it doesn't say that the Bills brought him in only because of his Youtube video. It says that they brought him in because of the SKILLS that he showed in the Youtube video. But of course it's not the only reason. However, I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that they watched that video before making the call to invite him.

thanks for the nice words there fellows sorry that it is difficult now for me to post i guess ill try and do better to make you all happy and not ruin your days i dont come looking for trouble so my apologies i guess i thought most around here were cool with my problems but hey thanks for the reminder my point was that he can do a lot of magic show type stuff and even though i love that stuff and frankly wish it was like that every play i dont think most o coordinators agree wtih me hell i would like to see pistol pete type stuff all the time hondo galore but it is not going to happen so what i would like to see on the kid is some game film where he drops a noodle in the bucked to a wr streaking away on his feet and not in a truck and also not over a scoreboard or bouncing off of a field goal post or trampoline thing thats it my apologies
I have a couple extra periods for you to use since you seem to be lacking:........................................................................................................................................

Have fun with them and go crazy!

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl

#Chiefs announced they signed former Monmouth QB Alex Tanney.

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl#Chiefs announced they signed former Monmouth QB Alex Tanney.
Color Man: "Both QBs for the Chiefs have gone down, and in trots Alex Tanney from little Monmouth College in NJ, for his first NFL action".Tanney: Guys, they just called in a hand off to Hillis, but I think that is bush league.Huddle: (Stunned silence)Tanney: Here's what we are going to do. Tony, I want you to go 7 yards out and just stop on a dime...whatever you do, don't turn around. Steve, I want you about 4.5 feet from Tony, and when the ball comes to you, brush your arms towards Dwayne.Breaston: Huh?Tanney: Work with this...don't ask questions, I got it covered. Dwayne, I want you to count to three once the ball is snapped, then run to Steve's left, down the sideline as fast as you can and get the ball.Bowe: I thought the pass was going to Tony?Tanney: Jeez! don't you guys get what I am doing here?!?!Huddle: (Collective "no").Tanney: Do I have to spell it out for you!!! I am going to take the snap, laser it off of Mokaei's dome, Steve will be there for the rebound, and swipe it to Dwayne going full speed down the field. This is not rocket science, guys. I have a lot more complicated crap for the second play, so this is just a warmup.

Somebody tell me this kid can fling it, that he's a gem in the rough, that he's been passed over because of pedigree, that he's Kurt Warner Part Deux.

In 47 games, he completed 68.6 percent of his passes going 1,205 for 1,756 with only 30 interceptions. He threw for 300 yards 32 times and finished with a Division III record 14,249 yards passing. Add it up, by NFL standards, Tanney finished with a 115.8 passer rating.

And yet, he accepts his instant celebrity.

The son of a longtime football coach, Tanney has been a quarterback since he started playing. He figures he was overlooked by Division I programs because he played for a tiny high school that had only 170 students.

And though he was hoping to be drafted, Tanney understood the possibility was unlikely.

That makes him even more driven to succeed.

"I've had a chip on my shoulder basically throughout high school, college, coming from small schools and wanting to prove to people what I have," Tanney said. ...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/05/04/alex.tanney.bills.ap/index.html#ixzz2mWfsbKsh

Josh Gordon may really need this guy to be a FF hero.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld is reporting both Weeden and Campbell have not been cleared to practice and Tanney looking to get 1st team reps.

As a Gordon owner in the FF playoffs this concerns me.

Users who are viewing this thread