What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tua Tagovailoa, MIA (1 Viewer)

Watching MNF Countdown, Steve Young is basically screaming at the TV, on the verge of tears, about how the league and the doctors are failing Tua right now.
Steve Young knowingly played all the time while being concussed.

It’s like the players are now playing the victim. They knew exactly what they were doing.

The NFL clearly hid the affects of CTE and repeated blows to the head….but where is personal responsibility over your own body? You know you are not right…you know something is very wrong.

Don’t play.
Actually no....he exhibited no symptoms at all vs GB. The symptoms showed up on Monday Morning apparently. If a player is exhibiting no physical or cognitive symptoms what are we supposed to do? Monitor every single hit a player takes in a game that is called tackle football?

The Buffalo game.....that was a wild occurrence and yes....players actually can stumble and collapse if the back locks up on you. I don’t know about you...but I have had back injury/spasam episodes. Yes...you can actually look drunk as a skunk and three sheets to the wind when you all of a sudden have your back lock up on you.
I'm with you on the GB game. It never occurred to me that there was anything wrong with Tua, so I'm not going to criticize the team or physicians for missing what I also missed.

But with regard to the Buffalo game, come on man. We all knew that he was concussed literally as soon as it happened. The people who cleared him to come back into the game did so deliberately, in direct violation of league policy. Nobody will ever be able to convince me that that was an honest mistake made by medical professionals acting in good faith. That's just not plausible.
He probably did…..but the back injury explanation was highly plausible based on real life. I have experienced exactly what he looked like stumbling when my
own back has locked up.

So I guess the independent neurologist lied as well as the team doctor….that is what we are gonna assume. And if that is the case it was sure swept under the rug pretty quickly.
NOTHING from that Buffalo game could be viewed as a back injury. C'mon now.
I realize back injuries are terrible and have seen first hand how they are crippling, but THAT moment was plain as day head injury from the second he went
Actually no....he exhibited no symptoms at all vs GB. The symptoms showed up on Monday Morning apparently. If a player is exhibiting no physical or cognitive symptoms what are we supposed to do? Monitor every single hit a player takes in a game that is called tackle football?

The Buffalo game.....that was a wild occurrence and yes....players actually can stumble and collapse if the back locks up on you. I don’t know about you...but I have had back injury/spasam episodes. Yes...you can actually look drunk as a skunk and three sheets to the wind when you all of a sudden have your back lock up on you.
I'm with you on the GB game. It never occurred to me that there was anything wrong with Tua, so I'm not going to criticize the team or physicians for missing what I also missed.

But with regard to the Buffalo game, come on man. We all knew that he was concussed literally as soon as it happened. The people who cleared him to come back into the game did so deliberately, in direct violation of league policy. Nobody will ever be able to convince me that that was an honest mistake made by medical professionals acting in good faith. That's just not plausible.
He probably did…..but the back injury explanation was highly plausible based on real life. I have experienced exactly what he looked like stumbling when my
own back has locked up.

So I guess the independent neurologist lied as well as the team doctor….that is what we are gonna assume. And if that is the case it was sure swept under the rug pretty quickly.
I realize back injuries are terrible and have seen first hand how they are crippling, but THAT moment was plain as day head injury from the second he went down.
Again….I am not saying it was not a head injury. I am questioning the doctors And again they passed it off as a back injury….he did not even go into the concussion protocol after all that!!! He played that Thursday in Cincy and we saw what happened with his fingers fencing.

How were the Dolphins not investigated and outted? The doctors, the coaches!!!

My point is really…..it was never rubber stamped by anyone on the team or an independent NFL person with 4 years of freaking medical school as a concussion that occurred vs Buffalo that day.

How in this day and age (with all we know about CTE and concussions) does that happen!!!
A LOT of people should be to blame for the buffalo fiasco where he came right back and played in that game and days later. A LOT.
I am talking media, NFL, players, everyone.......
That was the most obviously wrong thing I've seen injury-wise in any league ever.
That spook soccer goalie video wasn't far off.

I'm sorry, but "protecting people from themselves" is a really slippery slope. Granted, this isn't the government we're talking about (that's where it gets scary), but like I said ... slippery slope ... all about organizations and companies needing to "look virtuous". Applications of this philosophy can be made in almost any facet of life. "Oh sorry, we're booting you from the fantasy league. Fantasy football seems to frustrate you more than bring you joy, so you know, we need to take care of your emotional health." I could go on but I will spare you...
I think we're just specifically talking about the NFL, with known long term impacts of concussions, and multiple lawsuits already administered here. Thats...not very slippery.
I don't see any reason why they should "protect him" unless there's something in the contract that says they should.

Now granted, the point can make total sense at the team level, that is, the team wants a player to be available in the future and should under certain circumstances sit him temporarily to avoid reinjury or worsening of an injury. But should the NFL or team be forced to sit him, against their own and his own will? That's whack.
A big part of the issue concerning concussions is that, by definition, a concussed player’s brain isn’t working properly. So trusting that person to make wise decisions about their health when they are concussed isn’t really fair to them and is why they’ve put in place a process to protect them from themselves when they may not be thinking straight.

When I got my concussion after getting knocked out, I did go sit on the bench and watch the rest of the game from there. The crazy thing is that I have zero memory of the 45 minutes after I got knocked out. I remember about the first minute after coming to and then nothing after that. After about 45 minutes I “came to” turned to the guy next to me and asked “did I hurt myself or something, I feel pretty sore.” That’s when everyone realized I probably had a concussion. For that 45 minute period, I had no real mental faculties at all. I was there watching the game on the bench and acting fairly normal as far as everyone was concerned, but mentally there really was nobody home.

Knowing the long term affects of concussions, it really is imperative that third parties do their job properly and step in when guys are concussed and may not have the ability to even be aware that something isn’t right.

There was a time where I definitely did not see the big deal with concussions. But after suffering mine and seeing my wife’s life change after she suffered a number of them, they’re a really big freaking deal and I still think the NFL regularly mishandles them.

Watching MNF Countdown, Steve Young is basically screaming at the TV, on the verge of tears, about how the league and the doctors are failing Tua right now.

It’s like the players are now playing the victim. They knew exactly what they were doing.

The NFL clearly hid the affects of CTE and repeated blows to the head….but where is personal responsibility over your own body? You know you are not right…you know something is very wrong.

Don’t play.

own back has locked up.

I realize back injuries are terrible and have seen first hand how they are crippling, but THAT moment was plain as day head injury from the second he went

own back has locked up.

I realize back injuries are terrible and have seen first hand how they are crippling, but THAT moment was plain as day head injury from the second he went down.
Again….I am not saying it was not a head injury. I am questioning the doctors And again they passed it off as a back injury….he did not even go into the concussion protocol after all that!!! He played that Thursday in Cincy and we saw what happened with his fingers fencing.

How were the Dolphins not investigated and outted? The doctors, the coaches!!!

My point is really…..it was never rubber stamped by anyone on the team or an independent NFL person with 4 years of freaking medical school as a concussion that occurred vs Buffalo that day.

How in this day and age (with all we know about CTE and concussions) does that happen!!!
just win, baby!

They did? Interesting, players in the 90's knew all risks, long-term and otherwise, of concussions? Huh.

They did? Interesting, players in the 90's knew all risks, long-term and otherwise, of concussions? Huh.
Being glib towards another poster does nothing to move your personal POV forward in any way, just fyi

The NFL's investigation into the Dolphins handling of QB Tua Tagovailoa's Week 16 concussion concluded there were no violations of the concussion protocol last week.​

The league found the Dolphins had no violations of the concussion protocol, with Tua not showing or reporting symptoms until after Miami's Christmas Day game with the Packers. Tua has had two concussions and a neck injury but only missed two games this season, raising questions about the Dolphins' training staff. Teddy Bridgewater will start Week 17 vs the Patriots and could close out the season for Miami if Tua goes on IR.
SOURCE: NFL.com
Dec 31, 2022, 12:25 PM ET

I'm sorry, but "protecting people from themselves" is a really slippery slope. Granted, this isn't the government we're talking about (that's where it gets scary), but like I said ... slippery slope ... all about organizations and companies needing to "look virtuous". Applications of this philosophy can be made in almost any facet of life. "Oh sorry, we're booting you from the fantasy league. Fantasy football seems to frustrate you more than bring you joy, so you know, we need to take care of your emotional health." I could go on but I will spare you...
I think we're just specifically talking about the NFL, with known long term impacts of concussions, and multiple lawsuits already administered here. Thats...not very slippery.
I don't see any reason why they should "protect him" unless there's something in the contract that says they should.

Now granted, the point can make total sense at the team level, that is, the team wants a player to be available in the future and should under certain circumstances sit him temporarily to avoid reinjury or worsening of an injury. But should the NFL or team be forced to sit him, against their own and his own will? That's whack.
a) that's a very different discussion then the 'slippery slope' one you were trying to make, but good - much better to actually discuss the merits involved here specifically.
b) The NFL is not being forced to sit him. The teams aren't being forced. The players isn't being forced. What is happening is they are being 'forced' to follow rules that they agreed to. The NFL and the NFLPA agreed to concussion protocol and rules. It's not "whack", it's literally how CBA's and rules work. That's like saying it's "whack" that an offensive lineman isn't allowed to not wear a helmet.
c) No one is going to force the team to sit him beyond the concussion protocol. That have the right to - teams make decisions about what players to bench/start all the time. But the team isn't forced to sit him or not. The player? Yea, teams sit players without their consent all the time. That again is a rule and stipulation they agree to in order to play the game.
If that's in the CBA, then yes it should definitely be adhered to. I feel like they were likely bullied into the position of agreeing to it though. Oh well, you're probably right that it's best for everyone, I just never like it at all when I see someone (the player in this case) being forced to do or not do any particular thing "for his own good". It's creepy. "We know what's best for you. We'll make the call. We loooove you."
Every organization, company, business manufacturers, etc. have safety protocols for their employees that they must follow. If a contractor falls off the ladder and bangs his head and gets up stumbling, are you thinking he should get back up on that ladder if he wants to “tough it out”?

a) that's a very different discussion then the 'slippery slope' one you were trying to make, but good - much better to actually discuss the merits involved here specifically.
b) The NFL is not being forced to sit him. The teams aren't being forced. The players isn't being forced. What is happening is they are being 'forced' to follow rules that they agreed to. The NFL and the NFLPA agreed to concussion protocol and rules. It's not "whack", it's literally how CBA's and rules work. That's like saying it's "whack" that an offensive lineman isn't allowed to not wear a helmet.
c) No one is going to force the team to sit him beyond the concussion protocol. That have the right to - teams make decisions about what players to bench/start all the time. But the team isn't forced to sit him or not. The player? Yea, teams sit players without their consent all the time. That again is a rule and stipulation they agree to in order to play the game.
If that's in the CBA, then yes it should definitely be adhered to. I feel like they were likely bullied into the position of agreeing to it though. Oh well, you're probably right that it's best for everyone, I just never like it at all when I see someone (the player in this case) being forced to do or not do any particular thing "for his own good". It's creepy. "We know what's best for you. We'll make the call. We loooove you."
Every organization, company, business manufacturers, etc. have safety protocols for their employees that they must follow. If a contractor falls off the ladder and bangs his head and gets up stumbling, are you thinking he should get back up on that ladder if he wants to “tough it out”?
Yes. Call me a closet libertarian, but if you're not rather directly harming someone else, I don't much care what you do. But I can also understand how a head injury could be a very special case in which the subject's own state of mind could be affected. But still. Personally I find it disturbing.

Not to be callus - I take concussions seriously, and I’m fully supportive of keeping players safe.

From a value perspective, Tua has to be somewhat toxic at this point - 3 concussions this year alone?

How many can a player have before they get shut down for good?

Scary situation for Tua, the Dolphins, and Tua dynasty shareholders.

Not to be callus - I take concussions seriously, and I’m fully supportive of keeping players safe.

From a value perspective, Tua has to be somewhat toxic at this point - 3 concussions this year alone?

And they all came from what appeared to be routine plays .

Yes. Call me a closet libertarian, but if you're not rather directly harming someone else, I don't much care what you do.
But this isn’t politicians making rules infringing on rights, we’re talking about private employers protecting their employees for a myriad of reasons.

Also remember Sometimes when you don’t protect people from themselves, and something bad happens, they come back and blame you.

No concussions in college with 26 sacks over 2+ years. I wonder what changed?

No concussions in college with 26 sacks over 2+ years. I wonder what changed?
Big hitters in the NFL?

More likely underreporting in college.

Also IIRC once you’ve had one concussion, it’s easier to get more. That might also play into it.

I dunno - it’s definitely a massive concern IMO

And they all came from what appeared to be routine plays .
Yeah, good point. that’s weird too.

Fox's Jay Glazer reports Tua Tagovailoa could not recall fourth quarter plays in the Dolphins' Week 16 loss to the Packers.​

Miami head coach Mike McDaniel said on Monday that he urged Tua to seek medical attention after asking him about some suspect second half throws against Green Bay, when he threw three interceptions in a critical loss. Glazer said Tua plans to play if the Dolphins sneak into the postseason. He would have to clear the NFL's concussion protocol to do so. Until then, Teddy Bridgewater will serve as the team's starter.

Oof. That’s…not good.

Dolphins head coach Mike McDaniel said Tua Tagovailoa (concussion) is not part of the team's game plan for Week 18 against the Jets.​

Either Skylar Thompson or Teddy Bridgewater will get the start when the Dolphins face the Jets next week, although Bridgewater is being looked at for an injury to his throwing hand that he suffered in Sunday's loss. Despite starting the season with a 7-3 record, the Dolphins will be fighting for their playoff lives on Sunday. Currently sitting at 8-8, Miami could still punch their ticket with a win next week over the Jets, making Tagovailoa's absence all the more meaningful.
RELATED:

Chances of Tua playing are dropping like the temperature in Buffalo, single digits at this point
I don't see any way he plays another snap this season and you wonder where that puts us in the off season
Tua has more leverage than folks think he does. Once he is past the Concussion Protocol and it might take a couple months for the cobwebs to shake out but eventually he will be of sound mind and he is going to weigh walking on an NFL field again without some guarantees, it's what Kyler Murray did. Even though he had to play 2022 on his 4th year-Rookie Deal, he signed the extension and got a boatload into his checking account before his salary rises to the moon starting in '23.
-Tua is set to make decent coin but he can make a lot more if he holds out, as odd as that might sound to certain NFL fans, he's well within his rights to try and do it. If I were his agent, I would try and follow what Murray did and see where it leads.

Tua Tagovailoa (concussion) has been ruled out for the Wild Card round against the Bills.​

Tagovailoa is still in the league's concussion protocol after suffering another brain injury on Christmas Day against the Packers. Head coach Mike McDaniel has refused to give a timeline on when -- or if -- Tua can return to the team. With almost no chance of beating the Bills in Buffalo in the Wild Card round, the Dolphins will hope Tua can come back for the team's offseason program. McDaniel said he's primarily concerned with Tua "getting to full health as a human being."
SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter
Jan 11, 2023, 11:49 AM ET

Dolphins head coach Mike McDaniel said Tua Tagovailoa has not advanced to the on-field football activity portion of the NFL's concussion protocol.​

Every Tua update is at least somewhat frightening as the quarterback recovers from his second brain injury of the season. Tagovailoa has been ruled out for Miami's Wild Card game against the Bills and would seem to have little shot to suit up if the Dolphins pull a massive upset and advance to the Divisional Round. The best-case scenario for Tagovailoa is that he's ready for the team's offseason program with no lingering effects of his concussion.
SOURCE: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter
Jan 13, 2023, 12:24 PM ET

I may get burned, but I just bought in a SF rebuild for Pickett and 2.02.
The rebuild really needed some upside at QB, and I was willing to risk that cost for a guy with proven top 10 upside.

I may get burned, but I just bought in a SF rebuild for Pickett and 2.02.
The rebuild really needed some upside at QB, and I was willing to risk that cost for a guy with proven top 10 upside.
I think he's a great buy-low right. I don't have "SF goggles" as I've never played, but I think I like that deal.

Dolphins GM Chris Grier said he's learned through discussions with doctors and the NFLPA that QB Tua Tagovailoa is no more prone to concussions than any other NFL player.​

Given the tumultuous 2022 season Tagovailoa had, this is reassuring. Miami's signal-caller suffered at least two concussions this season, which led to him missing four regular season games and the team's AFC Wild Card matchup against the Bills. Tagovailoa's string of concussions left some wondering about whether or not he'd continue to play after this season, but the team has already announced their plans to have him back as the starter in 2023. Given what we know about the effects of multiple concussions, Tagovailoa's long-term health is still worth considering, even if he's no more prone to future concussions than any other player.
Jan 16, 2023, 4:08 PM ET

No more prone to concussions eh?? Talk about some crap. Of course he is
Now, if we are just talking about his HEAD then maybe not, but the way his body gets whipped around with the inability to brace for impact sure as hell makes him more prone to concussions than other players.
That's like saying my wife is no more prone to concussions than any other NFL player. Sure, sure thing boss. While technically true, put her in an NFL game. She will be concussed on the first play, and every play she ever plays.

No more prone to concussions eh?? Talk about some crap. Of course he is
Now, if we are just talking about his HEAD then maybe not, but the way his body gets whipped around with the inability to brace for impact sure as hell makes him more prone to concussions than other players.
That's like saying my wife is no more prone to concussions than any other NFL player. Sure, sure thing boss. While technically true, put her in an NFL game. She will be concussed on the first play, and every play she ever plays.
He does kinda seem like he needs falling lessons more than anything

Tua should retire and pray he doesn't get CTE 🥺
That's a not uncommon opinion. I remember hearing pretty much the same sentiment a lot when Brandin Cooks and Davante Adams had a couple high profile concussions close together 4-5ish years ago. Neither one has had a concussion since.

They still might get CTE, for all I know. Heck, every player playing football right now might get it. Maybe they should all retire and pray 🤷

Tua should retire and pray he doesn't get CTE 🥺

I agree, and this may sound silly, but the dude just does not know how to get tackled without it looking ultra-violent. I cringed every time he got sacked because he's either slamming to the turf at 100 mph or bending over his legs at some awkward angle. He's the most unathletic athlete I've ever seen. He's going to continue to get mauled and injured playing NFL football IMO.

He's the most unathletic athlete I've ever seen.
That's an interesting take and I can see what you mean. Perhaps "unathletic" is a bit harsh, but he doesn't seem to have the natural "look" of many of his QB peers, between his throwing motion and his pocket presence. Clearly he has the talent though or he wouldn't have made it where he is.

He's the most unathletic athlete I've ever seen.
That's an interesting take and I can see what you mean. Perhaps "unathletic" is a bit harsh, but he doesn't seem to have the natural "look" of many of his QB peers, between his throwing motion and his pocket presence. Clearly he has the talent though or he wouldn't have made it where he is.

Agreed, but I don't know how else to describe it. He can't avoid contact, he can't slide... when he gets sacked it's like watching a deer get hit by a car. When he rolls out and gets caught from behind... it's not just tripped up, falls to the ground... Tua looks like he's been shot, slams to the ground, rarely bounces up and jogs back to the huddle.

but he doesn't seem to have the natural "look" of many of his QB peers, between his throwing motion and his pocket presence.
some of that is because he's left handed - it just looks awkward.
I guess, but I never had that feeling with Jim Zorn.
Or Steve Young or Ken Stabler…..Tua is not gonna last unfortunately.

Brittle.
Sounds like a buy-low in any league where the Tua owner thinks this way. I should try to see what it takes to get him back after selling him to trade up to 1.01.

but he doesn't seem to have the natural "look" of many of his QB peers, between his throwing motion and his pocket presence.

Brittle.
Sounds like a buy-low in any league where the Tua owner thinks this way. I should try to see what it takes to get him back after selling him to trade up to 1.01.
Good luck with that.

The owner has in my league was being a shill asking for Olavie and Kenny Picket LOl!!

Brittle.
Good luck with that.

The owner has in my league was being a shill asking for Olavie and Kenny Picket LOl!!
I would definitely give up Pickett and my 2.10, or Pickett and Alec Pierce or even Elijah Moore. But no, definitely not Olave, even if I did have him.

My heart goes out to this guy.

I think he should retire. Who am I though? So...good luck to him discussing with friends and family.

I'd like to see him take a year off- remembering some CTE study on (car and workplace) accidents where they were medically advised it takes a year for the brain to fully heal so no risk of re-injury for a year.

Forever wondering why NFL players refuse to....he's a quarterback that might play til he's 40 not a runningback done at 29....take a year off then.

Teddy is a perfect one year fill in too

Teddy is a perfect one year fill in too
What?

Hill is going to be 29 this year and Dolphins are all in at this point. Bridgewater might get them to 8-9 wins, but not going to threaten to go deep in the playoffs with him. Waste of a season for a contending team.

I do agree that Tua needs to look out for his long term health. Doubt Tua sits a season, but if he did, doubt the Dolphins would roll with Teddy.

Mom and Dad have spoken

and another one of these...

Sounds like he's rolling towards the start of Week 1
Go Phins Go!

yeah Teddy as a one year fill in is a terrible idea. There's another guy out there who's the current QB of another Florida team that could be the perfect fill in though...
Trevor Lawrence on the trade blocks is news to me
:wink:

It's a bad idea and here's why, we've already forfeited a 1st Rd pick, owner Stephen Ross was suspended for 8 games, unprecedented in the NFL and all for tampering with Brady and Payton which triggered a lawsuit and forced Brady to immediately announce he was retiring and distance himself from the story. I can't speak for all Miami fans but the guy is the least athletic QB in the NFL and we have never been able to keep anyone upright at QB post Marino.

So please don't be offended, I just disagree with the TB coming to MIA, it won't end well.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Tua Tagovailoa has cleared the NFL’s concussion protocol and the Dolphins are "confident he’ll be 100% when the time comes for football."​

Tagovailoa has been in concussion protocol since Week 17. He missed four games because of two separate concussions in the 2022 season. On the optimistic side of this story, Dolphins GM Chris Grier said Tagovailoa is no more prone to concussions than any other NFL player. Tua also suffered no setbacks during his second recovery. His prolonged stay in the league's protocol appears to be cautionary. With it already being reported that the Dolphins will bring Tua back as their starter next season, he will look to build on the momentum he built in his first season under Mike McDaniel. Tagovailoa led the NFL in yards per attempt (8.9) and touchdown rate (6.3 percent) this past year.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Feb 1, 2023, 1:10 PM ET

From the Tweet "Dolphins GM Chris Grier said Tagovailoa is no more prone to concussions than any other NFL player"
Seems like anybody who is not a doctor should not be making medical statements like this.

5 minutes of googling tells me "One concussion puts athletes at great risk for future concussions, a new study shows. In fact, even mild head injuries -- such as a simple ding -- require a week or more for recovery."
WebMD article

From the Tweet "Dolphins GM Chris Grier said Tagovailoa is no more prone to concussions than any other NFL player"
Seems like anybody who is not a doctor should not be making medical statements like this.

5 minutes of googling tells me "One concussion puts athletes at great risk for future concussions, a new study shows. In fact, even mild head injuries -- such as a simple ding -- require a week or more for recovery."
WebMD article
Grier's statement was that league doctors and NFLPA doctors confirmed Tua was not more concussion prone than other players due to his concussion history. I will take those doctors words over webMD.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread