What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Will Levis, TEN (1 Viewer)

I hate that I saw the frustrating fantasy output coming and still crossed my stupid fingers on his performance last night.

Nothing like crapping the bed at QB on a Thursday.

Still. Agree with the assessment that he could be the real deal and they really need to move on from Tannehill and there is no reason to wait.

There is a lot to like about Levis. Great arm and throws a good deep ball, but can throw it with touch. Love his poise in the pocket. Needs to work on his clock in the pocket, tends to hold on to the ball too long. Quicker and better decision making will come with more experience. One play at the goalline, he should have continued with the play design since Hopkins ended up open at the back of the endzone on a crossing route,

But Levis has a lot of potential, and TEN should just go with him for the ROS. While TEN is 4-4, they don't have a chance of contending this year.
TEN is 3-5 not 4-4. But, yes you are correct: even at 4-4 this team could not really contend. Major, major OL issues, inept pass rush, poor secondary, and poor WR options behind DHop.

He's got a cannon. Not sure he has much else.
I highlighted this because for the most part it is true. BUT - there is so much to unwrap here especially after watching the second half last night. I honestly need to think about it some more but here are my initial thoughts (I didn't watch much of Levis in college).

1) He has a massive arm. He looks like he could throw it the length of the whole field if he wanted.
2) When he needs to his release can be very quick with a flick of the wrist. Some nice quick throws when he identified the blitz (one to Henry and one to Burks)
3) Looked poised and determined leading the team in the 4th quarter. For a rookie in his second game I think the team truly believed they could march down the field and score. I was actually really impressed with him taking his time at the line (when the clock was stopped) trying to read and figure out the D. When he had to hurry up with the clock running he was able to get everyone set and get the play called and snapped quickly.
4) The hurry-up is where things fell apart a bit as he didn't do a good job reading the defense and his throws weren't as accurate (not surprising for a rookie). He had the one pick late and nearly had another that went through a defenders hands.
5) Ball placement was off on a number of throws - low hitting the turf, out of bounds or in the middle of the field with low trajectory that nearly gets picked off. The bad passes were bad.
6) While he has a big arm, the NFL defenses are much better than college and he can't always fit balls into tight windows. I'm not sure if he can't see the defenders in the middle of the field or if he thinks he can fit the ball into places he shouldn't.

So when you say he might not have much else it isn't really true but the question should be: Can he fix his mistakes? Can he learn to read the defenses better under pressure, can he speed up his decision making and still make the correct and accurate throw? Once teams figure him out (they do with all rookie QBs) can he adapt and learn from his mistakes? Can he take what the defense is giving him?

From a fantasy perspective if he ends up throwing it 35 times a game that will be great for the pass catchers.

Lots to unwrap from the game from positives to negatives for Levis.
Great post and I don't disagree at all. Was just a little annoyed at the announcers last night.

I wanted to dislike him but came away pretty impressed.

1. Overrated narrative during the draft season buildup. All these goofy stories about mayo-coffee and bananas with the peels on made it seem like he was looking for a gimmick or had some personality quirk that I didn't really appreciate and thought would be paper-thin in a locker room of actual adult men with families and their jobs on the line.
  2. Big arm/ athletic talent QBs that are for whatever reason not succeeding are typically avoids. Usually adds up to a deficiency between the ear holes of the helmet or under the chest guard.
  3. HOWEVER. His demeanor on the field was all business and his eyes were always downfield. He was decisive. Some of the decisions were questionable but many were just trust throws to guys in tight coverage. I got zero goofball vibes from the guy. Baker Mayfield, he is not.
  4. The power/zip and quick release. It's not quite TB12 but he's firing lasers in the middle of the field and dropping it on guys with touch pretty well.
  5. Not sure if i missed it but I didn't see him run. Guys that can run but have been told to grow as pocket passers often can't avoid running when they can't find a throw they like (cough cough Fields) . I didn't see that. It'll be there for the team when they decide to. 2 years ago, the Titans were unstoppable at the gl because they had three matchup nightmares. Henry, AJB and Tannehill running it in. He (Tannehill) didn't run that much but he did run in a lot of TDs. Not sure if that was strictly an Arthur Smith thing or if they need the OL to be better to be able to pull that off but those 3 options might re-emerge for them as the year progresses with Hopkins/Henry/Spears/Levis.

Until I see evidence to the contrary, I'm a believer.

I hate that I saw the frustrating fantasy output coming and still crossed my stupid fingers on his performance last night.

Nothing like crapping the bed at QB on a Thursday.

Still. Agree with the assessment that he could be the real deal and they really need to move on from Tannehill and there is no reason to wait.
when you are dealing with a rookie, you cant watch the output without taking into account how he was on the field. He did some good things. I do worry about the line. Putting him behind that leaky line might not be perfect for his development. I'm not an expert in developing QB but I suspect there may be value in holding off on starting him going forward until the line can be retooled a bit. The recent O line injuries make me think he may be running for his life back there and I dont know that this is good for his development.

Of course Vrabel is being an idiot, hinting that he's not impressed with Levis yet and Tannehill is in line to start again once healthy.

The problem is the o-line, not Levis. Levis would thrive with just two more seconds of protection.

Debating between him with a great matchup vs TB or Dobbs with a tough matchup vs NO as my bye week fill in this week.

Debating between him with a great matchup vs TB or Dobbs with a tough matchup vs NO as my bye week fill in this week.
I have to choose between those two as well. I am going Levis due to the matchup. MN is riddled with injuries on the offensive side of the ball.

Titans have one starting T out with a concussion that could return. NPF is now out for the year with a shoulder.

I am still thinking don't get him smashed and especially don't get him hurt.

I know it's a wacky thing to say but I would totally platoon Tannehill and Levis. If he messes up and needs sideline coaching or if he takes some shots- put Tannehill in for a series. It's rare to have two guys sincerely ready to roll and they can hand to Henry so often anyway...I just want to guard this kids development and the hits he takes. I don't think they make the playoffs so I want them to be a bit guarded.

As others have said, he's being a bit guarded himself about running. He even puts the ball down then back up. One time it was so clear smooth sailing and he didn't run. This is but one way the Titans messed up Marcus. He needs to run. Maybe 20-30 yards each week? He'll be more comfy and feel himself, the D won't be as quick to blitz...he's gotta be himself.

He's still got issues with touch. It's weird how people state it.

He's got a ways to go, plenty of learning to do.

For FF, this is an awful year for QBs so I would be too leery of starting him other years but he's better than some of the no names we've been seeing. Don't think on his potential just go on his stats or FF points as is.

Their bad line got worse. Their #2 WR is out an indeterminate amount of time and we finally have some comments that his TE may be benched. Talent is obvious but its definitely a bad situation.

and we finally have some comments that his TE may be benched. Talent is obvious but its definitely a bad situation.

Love your input on the titans, some of the best content here.

On this part, we talking Chig getting benched for Whyle?

Signed, dynasty Whyle watcher
Yeah
It's reading tea leaves but Vrabel was on the radio saying he has to play better.
Guy talked of Wycheck n Delanie and said it's usually a very productive position. Vrabel replied something like it needs to be.

Vrabel said something like he's challenging everyone to make tough catches and they're drilling it every day. There's a lot of contested catches in the NFL and they need to be better at them.

More paraphrasing from memory- Why Whyle on the game winning catch not Hopkins or someone else?
Hopkins was well covered and Whyle is someone they believe can win on the 50/50 balls.

***"
A few weeks back, Whyle started to get more snaps and like 20 or so and made a couple key catches. Then he played early the next game, concussion and somehow caught the ball. I thought he was still sitting last game with a concussion but game on the line and he went in.

If ya ask me Chig is running out of chances and Whyle is starting to get them. I've been saying that since this summer. They've been real patient w Chig. He can line out wide and in the backfield and he does command a certain defender with his known athleticism. I expect Whyle to take the job. Chig's still gonna be useful if so, but more find ways to use him.

They've also stunk at T and later in the game, they start lining a TE caddy corner like an HBack or as a fullback and that's worked very well. They're trying and moving tackles around n all but...the TE alignment is what's working. I don't think they want to do it but it's working and Levis can't be smacked so that could be a role for Chig. On their stagnant offense, a FB that can take it to the house is...well it's something. And Chig can of course develop a chip on his shoulder and block his way back to starting in this scenario too

Thanks I appreciate it

He was awful in second and third quarter. Will have stats soon.
He looked not scared but concerned or something. Lot of looks to sideline. Either a short pass/screen or a deep shot.

I think that just means he's human as every stat I've seen was ridiculous constant pressure. Rupcich (a project) went in at RG and he did fine most of the time with whoever was in front of him but when they sent a DB or someone else, he couldn't handle two and ...that's predictable so it's frustrating the Titans didn't seem to do anything to adjust.

They're coming right here. Watch a second guy coming here. Block the guy here. That must have been absolutely brutal for all playing and the straw that got Kelly fired. When he called a Henry run there, OMG are you even watching?

Henry didn't get many carries and I've said it'll be rough if that doesn't happen.

Vrabel has answered Qs after the game and Monday and he's aware of hits impacting a young QB and didn't think it was a concern this week. OK I'd say fair enough that Levis didn't take any vicious hits or what looks like a sure bruise hit but he took at least twelve hits depending which stat site.

I am starting to wonder about not being able to run. It greatly affected Marcus and I haven't seen this natural runner run either.

With a different tone than weeks ago-
I want Tannehill or Willis in or a combo.
We never saw a supposed offense to utilize Willis' legs and this last game called for hitting that panic button. Sacks under three seconds won't teach Levis anything.

Levis is to be working on intermediate and touch throws, possibly with some purposely to the left. I saw very little of any of those all game.

Another-
Sign Roberson. Promote Harrison. Give him his camp guys.
This is not the starters are elite. Moore has 8 catches for the year. NWI gets 1 or 2 per game. Acting like it's a big deal to replace them is just ignorance to how little they do and lending towards other year's thinking not this one.
If Whyle is in the game and the slightest bit open, he's getting it. He clearly loves his boys so give him his summer targets!
Further, there's no guarantee Moore or NWI are on the team in 24 and with age Moore's unlikely. Only gain to come from putting young guys in. I doubt there's a loss as I think they can catch one per game

Starting this scrub cost me my game
Why did you start him?
Because my QB had a bye week :shrug:
Plus his matchup looked really good and figured with the Bucs run D being strong, they would pass a lot. That part was correct as he threw the ball 39 times. Didn't see the game so don't know why he was so bad, but wasn't a bad start if your QB was on bye. Just didn't work out . On a positive note, he scored twice as many points as Trevor Lawrence :hifive:

Gamelog
2nd Q
W.Levis pass short right to C.Moore to TB 33 for 10 yards
W.Levis pass incomplete short middle to T.Spears
W.Levis pass short right to C.Okonkwo to TEN 30 for 8 yards

W.Levis pass incomplete short left to N.Westbrook-Ikhine
W.Levis pass incomplete short right to C.Okonkwo

3rd Q
W.Levis pass incomplete deep right to N.Westbrook-Ikhine.
W.Levis pass short right to T.Spears to TEN 46 for 15 yards
W.Levis pass short left to D.Henry to TEN 42 for -4 yards
W.Levis pass incomplete short middle to C.Moore

if you will give me that maybe a coach said "ya gotta throw left, see the whole field" or somesuch...

W.Levis pass short left to D.Hopkins ran ob at TEN 32 for 7 yards.
W.Levis pass incomplete deep left to D.Hopkins
W.Levis pass short left to T.Spears to TB 27 for 13 yards

there may still be a problem with him not wanting to throw left

Titans QB Will Levis did not participate in the team’s walkthrough Tuesday practice.

Ryan Tannehill and Malik Willis were the two quarterbacks participating in the Titans’ walkthrough as Will Levis was not seen out there. The Titans’ first injury report is not due until Wednesday, but it is notable that the rookie starter was not participating. Levis was listed on the Titans injury report with a foot injury prior to Week 11, but had practiced fully all week. It may just be a rest day given that the team just had a walkthrough, but something to keep an eye on for Levis and the Titans.

Titans QB Will Levis did not participate in the team’s walkthrough Tuesday practice.

Ryan Tannehill and Malik Willis were the two quarterbacks participating in the Titans’ walkthrough as Will Levis was not seen out there. The Titans’ first injury report is not due until Wednesday, but it is notable that the rookie starter was not participating. Levis was listed on the Titans injury report with a foot injury prior to Week 11, but had practiced fully all week. It may just be a rest day given that the team just had a walkthrough, but something to keep an eye on for Levis and the Titans.
I don't think anything to this.
There's been several Titans that discussed charity events this week and Vrabel mentioned moving practice times.

We'll see but initially I don't think much of it

Levis said he intends to use his legs more

Per PFF he has scrambled 3 times in 138 drop backs (before Wee 12.)

If we look only at qualified QB (20% of drop backs) and sort by scrambling, here's the bottom of the list:

35. Goff 4 (382 drop backs)
36. Cousins 3 (331)
37. Levis 3 (138)
38. AOC 0 (159)

Wednesday 4:49 PM | Rotoworld

Will Levis (foot/ankle) listed as a full participant​

Will Levis (foot/ankle) is practicing in full for Week 12 against the Panthers.

Advice: Levis was listed as a full participant because of the foot issue last week as well. He played without any limitations on Sunday. The ankle injury is a new addition to his injury report, but the full practice is all we care about here. shawdup if I need your advice I'll pull the string in back

Picked him up (Burrow/Goff) bc my options were Carr or a bag of Cheetos. I don't particularly like having orange fingers and they taste like....

anyway @Bri the schedule looks pretty soft after the Panthers. How is the hopium factor in Nashville these days?

Levis said he intends to use his legs more

Per PFF he has scrambled 3 times in 138 drop backs (before Wee 12.)

If we look only at qualified QB (20% of drop backs) and sort by scrambling, here's the bottom of the list:

35. Goff 4 (382 drop backs)
36. Cousins 3 (331)
37. Levis 3 (138)
38. AOC 0 (159)

Wednesday 4:49 PM | Rotoworld

Will Levis (foot/ankle) listed as a full participant​

Will Levis (foot/ankle) is practicing in full for Week 12 against the Panthers.

Advice: Levis was listed as a full participant because of the foot issue last week as well. He played without any limitations on Sunday. The ankle injury is a new addition to his injury report, but the full practice is all we care about here. shawdup if I need your advice I'll pull the string in back

Picked him up (Burrow/Goff) bc my options were Carr or a bag of Cheetos. I don't particularly like having orange fingers and they taste like....

anyway @Bri the schedule looks pretty soft after the Panthers. How is the hopium factor in Nashville these days?
It's been a grim week that's starting to cheer up. Vrabel looked visibly worn down and beaten and sad. A lot of players had similar sentiments.
Tim Kelly claimed Henry has had running lanes he just hasn't used them well. That's not true and infuriated almost everyone. Vrabel has been saying and said a few times this week that they must give the ball. We were expecting an OC firing but he's also Vrabel's buddy. You can tell he's frustrated with his friend and as I've said for like a year- it's shaping up to be a replica of the Mularkey Robiske scenario. Titans brass said Vrabel's job is safe this week and the future but that wasn't true if Mularkey after his unwillingness to fire Robiskie. They cut a backup DL who mouthed off after that the D wasn't the problem in TEN.
Sooo it's been a super stressful week for the whole team.

I would say Henry either gets a lot of carries or Kelly is fired.
Levis has very little standards to be held to, but he has to do better than the two bad halves the last two games.
Radio hosts have been discussing what if Tannehill enters a game and plays well. Is team morale and desire to attract free agents more important than Levis getting reps?

This has this presumption that Tannehill would play well and he really hasn't in two seasons, since Kelly. Soo more discussion about Kelly's firing. It's clear as day- he became passing game coordinator and they had their worst year in decades. He became OC and they've had their worst year in a long time. So has Tannehill lost it? Or is it the Texans offense that he's running?

Back to Levis- if Tannehill can't succeed in this Texans offense how could they expect Levis to? Will a bad plan bad offense negatively impact his development?

The negative isn't done there. If the Titans have a top five pick would they be able to pass on Caleb Williams or whoever some draft site claims is super special?

Sooo there's a lot a whole lot of swirling negativity and doubt and Vrabel has been an absolute champ answering true but almost insulting questions and his constant reply is we gotta get Henry the ball more often.

Many of us have said all year that the Titans are a decent team if Henry gets 20+ carries. We have other less talented Titans teams for comparison and they simply don't have the WRs to get'r done.

Which brings me to Vrabel and Kelly answering Qs about Roberson this week. He was such a good UDFA that people are still asking for him in week 11. I've never heard of such a thing.
Harrison is on the PS and if we can't get Roberson then fans want another WR that did well in camp also with Levis.

Whyle out snapped Chig by like one or two but it may be the start of a change I've been saying.
The WRs the TE...people want Levis to get his guys.

Burks' neck and concussion were super serious so we don't know when he'll return and those guys make an obvious next choice.

The line has two new starters most weeks.

I wouldn't play Levis. No way would I. There couldn't be more dysfunction on offense and idc what ya want, a veteran needs to restore order in the field or ya put Malik in to scramble around in the chaos.

It seems he's going to ride out the year though. I think his success does depend on Henry attracting eight in the box and keeping the game simple for a rookie QB. It's so much more difficult without establishing Henry.

I wouldn't start him in FF. There couldn't be more red flags. Vrabel is a heckuva coach and he could restore order this week and maybe next week I'd be more comfortable with Levis but not now.

Levis is too dependent on the deep pass for FF stats. It's fine for a rookie the way he throws short ones and deep shots but he needs to progress to using the whole field. His job will be easier the less predictable he is and that's just usual growth

I'm confident this is a get it right week or there's some firings. The owner spent last game in the box with the GM and president and surely she was displeased.

The jury is out on Levis. Will he be good? Will he be bad? Who knows. What I do know is judging a qb, especially a FF qb, who has one receiver, an ancient one at that, is a fools errand. Until they get some receivers to throw to no Tenn qb is going to be worth rostering.

“[Levis] can throw the ball far and they like to do a lot of it. I think they have currently – the Titans offense – little-known fact, I think they lead the league in plus-20 yard throws, 22 percent of their passes, I believe – you can check me on that, because I’m pretty sure it’s right (laughter) – are of that depth, so they challenge you,” McDaniel said. “It’s cool to watch a guy come into a team with other players that are very much capable and what I’ve learned from afar is that it’s not about him. He was just chopping wood, but you can learn a lot by just watching and listening. And you watch how guys play with him on the field and you can tell he’s earned the respect of veteran players. And you either have that or you don’t. As a quarterback, there’s nowhere to hide. So it’s cool to watch him progress and I think he is capable of making, I think pretty much every throw.

“They have some guys that can really catch the ball that you’ve probably heard of and teams – we can attest as we’ve had plenty of times that we’re going through some adversity, but you can tell by the way that the Tennessee Titans play in terms of how hard they play and their passion, that it’s just a matter of time that team is at the top of the division with Coach Vrabel. So to be to be a part of that team and to own the respect of his teammates, I think says everything.”

Mike McDaniel

Levis is seeming to get comfy and then sacked...over n over. It's understandable.

His game has been a lot of short and behind LOS passes and then a few deep passes.

He's kept his INTs down which is great but he's gotta throw mid range stuff. I imagine some of this is coaching or planned but I am not sure how much he's developing as a passer if he only throws what he has.

He had a ton of common young guy big arm issues in camp and needed to learn touch and don't always try to show off that arm. Well where is it? Get some crossers and TE bodying type typical plays going.

As far as left, I think he's still working on it and doing so successfully. I say that because there can be an awful lot of throws left one game which simply looks like he was asked to. He did well, did fine. Now spread it out and stop thinking.

150-200 ypg is not enough and also fine whatever for a rookie.

The Titans are going to have a high pick and the plan of course is to not have one again soon. (Yes I know I know) They have to push him some. If he busts they'll be bad a long time if they enter this off-season pleased with 150-200 ypg. I don't care if he throws good decision INTs or whatever. Give him latitude but ya gotta see if he's got "it" because in April everyone will be claiming others have "it." They can't be the Browns for a decade or recent Bears and they better not plan on being the 49ers and getting lucky w a super late QB. They gotta push him some

He got past 300. He beat a team he shouldn't have. He led a fourth Q comeback. He got DHop's endorsement
He checked a lot of boxes

Like any first year QB he had some good film. He had some bad film. What I see is a guy who has the talent to make all the throws. QBs are so hard to evaluate. At this stage, what's nearly as important to the physical talent is the mental moxy. He just seems to have it. Mentally. Loved his "I hope America liked what they saw" comment after the game. Hard to say if this is the guy for Titans, but I think it looks like a possibility

Agree with he has “it.” And a ton of swagger/ borderline arrogant lol. Really has some Joe burrow personality to him in a good way

Sprained ankle

Discussion is that he can probably play but is it better to let Malik finish the year.

Users who are viewing this thread