What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quarterback sleeper (1 Viewer)

meatwad1

Footballguy
As a person who likes to forego drafting a qb until the middle rounds. Instead of picking a qb early, I am always looking for the guy who will fall down and be a certified week to week stud...last year in both of my leagues I picked up Schaub in the middle rounds and we all know how that turned out, so looking to this year I am starting to examine the options.

Most folks seem to be going with Cutler for this honor, but I am putting my money on Eli. Eli, by comparison to his brother, will always look like an unspectacular pick. However, with the fact that everyone seems to think that Nicks is the next up and coming stud, if he really is a stud, Eli's numbers will benefit from that, no? He already has a solid wr in S. Smith and manningham is an excellent #3, and the rest of the offense is also very good. So what is there not to like at an average 10 teamer of 8.9/12 teamer of 8.6? Also, with the exeption of a lot of fumbles, he quietly had his best season last year (4000 yrds/27 tds) and is just rounding into his prime.

Also, in looking at their schedule they have both Dallas and Philly in thier division; those are two high powered offenses: four shootouts right there. Then add in that they are playing NFC North and AFC South.

GB/Chi/Min/Det: All of those games could be shootouts as the offenses are either awesome or expected to be way better in a passing sense.

Ind/Jac/Hou/: Those games have the distinct possiblility of being high scoring. Tenn I could see being a grinder. Plus they have a random blowout game against Seattle.

All in all, the more I look at this, the more I feel he will be a stud this year. Lets face it...every single year there are a few highly drafted qbs that wilt like stinky farts, these picks will kill your team in an instant. Why not load up on wr/rb/depth or a get good te and then draft a couple promising veteran qbs in the later rounds? If anyone has any other insights on other guys they think will be late round steals, I would be pleased to hear them.

I wouldnt classify Eli as a sleeper...

Though I don't know why Eli is going so late...

He can definitely win you a championship becuase you spend your earlier rounds building up a great wall, and then plug in a guy who topped 4000yds with a juicy TD statline in rnd 6-8.

But I dont wanna be the guy who waits on him and gets him plucked right out of my hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, I think Manning is poised for his best year yet. Not sure how much he will outperform his draft position though. I see him ending up somewhere between QB7 - QB10, and that doesn't make him much of a sleeper based on where he's being drafted.

if I pass on a QB early....I will be taking a hard look at Eli.....I have him at #10 right now......has some good weapons...

If I end up waiting on QB this year, Eli, Flacco and Cutler are all guys I think will be solid enough to carry a team as QB1, or at least QB1BC.

I don't see how a guy that was a top 10 fantasy QB last year who has improved receiving options this year is a sleeper, but have at it. :)

I think Eli is being ranked about right. The Giants had a banged up running game and a defense that was both adrift and injured last year. Jacobs and Bradshaw will hopefully be back healthy and back in 2008 form, and the offense will not need to rely on Eli's arm as much this year. In addition, if Perry Fewell gets the defense going again, the Giants will be in less shootouts. Because of the talent the Giants have at WR, I think Eli will still get his points and be a solid QB1, but I don't see him as a Top 5 fantasy QB this year.

Yeah, it's tough to identify a QB as a sleeper, when there are only 32 starters. That said, I recently bumped the Eli Spotlight for this exact reason. I do like his prospects. I have also liked to wait on QB, and have drafted Schaub/Cutler in '09 (Cutler stunk), Rodgers/Cutler in '08, Roethlisberger/Favre in '07, Romo/Vick in '06, fell for the bait of Peyton Manning in '05 after his record-breaking season, Brady/McNair in '04 & '03, Aaron Brooks in '02, Rich Gannon in '01...I could go on. I may buck my trend of waiting on QB this year, just because I'm so effing high on Romo...but if Romo is gone before I can draft him in the third round, then I'm going after Eli with confidence. I will likely draft Roethlisberger behind him, just because he's so cheap.

Viva la Mouth Breather

tiers are big this year. Good year to wait and see what falls

Tier 1 (any of these guys could end the year #1)

Brees, Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Schaub, Romo

Tier 2 (lock for top ten and good chance at finishing somewhere in top 7)

Rivers, Eli

Tier 3 (more risk but same potential)

Kolb, Stafford, Cutler, Roeth

That's 12 starting QBs. All pretty good quality, and when you include Roeth once he's back, this is your 12-team starting QB competition. Considering there is a really good chance that both in tier 2 have a great chance at a 4k yard, 25+ td season, it's a great year to wait on a QB. However, considering the MONSTER production you could get out of two of the QBs in tier 1, it's worth considering a QB-QB start in 2QB leagues.

I think Rivers will be the best value because people are overestimating the impact that losing VJax will have. I think Rivers is good enough to get 4k+ without a WR1. If you want to gamble Kolb and Stafford will probably be available a few rounds later. Eli is a really solid value pick IF he repeats his career year, which I think he will.

I think Eli is being ranked about right. The Giants had a banged up running game and a defense that was both adrift and injured last year. Jacobs and Bradshaw will hopefully be back healthy and back in 2008 form, and the offense will not need to rely on Eli's arm as much this year. In addition, if Perry Fewell gets the defense going again, the Giants will be in less shootouts. Because of the talent the Giants have at WR, I think Eli will still get his points and be a solid QB1, but I don't see him as a Top 5 fantasy QB this year.
Tall order, I'd say. I see opponents running all over them.

Tall order, I'd say. I see opponents running all over them.
The Giants defense gave up over 30 points per game over the last 11 games last year. I think the Giants have better talent than that, and won't give up that much this year.

As a person who likes to forego drafting a qb until the middle rounds. Instead of picking a qb early, I am always looking for the guy who will fall down and be a certified week to week stud...last year in both of my leagues I picked up Schaub in the middle rounds and we all know how that turned out, so looking to this year I am starting to examine the options.
I follow this strategy too and took Schaub last year in the middle rounds. My gut feeling is that Kolb is the guy this year, but the guy I keep coming back to is Stafford. Situation is somewhat similar to Schaub. Looks like the Lions will be a passing team this year, defense isn't very good so they will most likely being playing from behind a lot, he has an uber-stud WR named Johnson and they've added some nice complimentary players with to with CJ. He has the physical tools and now he has a year of experience under his belt. I know 3800 yards and 25 TDs is a big jump from last year, but then again he missed 6 games last year. I don't know, I just feel like his "situation" is ripe for him to explode this year and end up near the top 5 or 6 in QB scoring. Having said that, I'm sure he'll suck this year.

What have the Lions done to substantially improve their line though? I remember him getting KILLED back there last season. In fact, now that I think about that he might be the riskiest of tier 3 for that very reason.

I like the Kolb/Henne combo
I am targeting this combo as well....I love Kolb's situation except for his playoff schedule......thats where Henne helps
It has potential but in redrafts, I'm not drafting two guys who are pretty much unproven even if they have top notch potential. I'd rather grab an established guy to pair with one of these two, but I do agree that I like both of them relative to ADP.

Interesting. I don't think Eli is a "sleeper" as he's pretty regularly going as a Top 10 guy or as one of the priority QB2s. I like him well enough this year though. Playing with a chip on their shoulder, depth and youth in the receiving corps, a good offensive line, and 24+ TD passes like clockwork for a mid round choice.

sholditch said:
What have the Lions done to substantially improve their line though? I remember him getting KILLED back there last season. In fact, now that I think about that he might be the riskiest of tier 3 for that very reason.
:unsure: The team with the best combo of low-ADP QB, easiest schedule vs pass D, and decent OL is Arizona.Second is probably TEN.

sholditch said:
Not to hijack, but although the Lions didn't add 'much' to their o-line, they did fix the biggest hole. ESPN LINK ...Adding Rob Sims at LG should help Jeff Backus at LT, and therefore the line as a whole. Back to the topic though: Really like the NYG schedule analysis in the OP - I noticed that earlier on in the offseason but somehow managed to let it slip to the back of my brain. I do know that I'm LOVING Eli this year and can't believe how overlooked he's been in mock drafts so far. I'd have no problem with him as my QB1 along with a strong QB2 (which there are plenty of this year). Definitely agree with the earlier poster who mentioned that they're waiting for Romo and if he's not there in the 3rd they end up waiting altogether on QB. I'm using the same strategy this year.

Good read but I wonder how much that one addition is going to do. The article talks about 43 sacks (8th most in league) but doesn't mention hits (6th most in the league) and I remember seeing Stafford getting whalloped a lot. Also, they ranked near the bottom of the league in ypc last year.

Might be foolish to think that adding one player at LG is going to turn things around dramatically.

Good read but I wonder how much that one addition is going to do. The article talks about 43 sacks (8th most in league) but doesn't mention hits (6th most in the league) and I remember seeing Stafford getting whalloped a lot. Also, they ranked near the bottom of the league in ypc last year.Might be foolish to think that adding one player at LG is going to turn things around dramatically.
More than the oline I think Stafford should improve in reading defenses and getting rid of the ball quicker. I also think an improved running game, a reasonable expectation. Those two factors will reduce the number of hits he takes and if the o-line improves even a little so much the better.

Kenny Phillips injury in the secondary set the tone for a Defense that gave up over 40 PPG last year, 5 times-not to mention Pierce going down. As another poster mentioned above, 30 PPG avg over the last 11 games.

They were in constant catch up mode last year, as well as Jacobs and Bradshaw being hurt, ineffective.

Honestly, I see the Giants going back to running the ball more this year, as long as the backs are healthy. I just don't think Couglin is going to wing it if they can control the clock, and Perry Fewell is not a bad DC. He's a terrible HC, but then again, he had squat to work with in Buffalo.

Eli still brings solid ADP value, I just don't see the same production this year...

Thing is though, every team not coached by Mike Martz wants to run the ball effectively and play good defense. There simply isn't a better recipe for success out there. But it's hard to do and teams that do both really well simply don't come around that often. I don't think the Giants can do it just by mental exercise. Their defense just isn't that impressive. What has substantially improved from last year on defense?

Eli is far from a sleeper...with that said after I finished projections last night I did notice that his projected production compared to his ADP was likely the biggest value I saw at the QB position.

I have a great feeling about the strong-armed, mettlesome gem known as Matthew Stafford. I'm targetting him as a my #2 QB in my new leagues this year.

If I end up waiting on QB this year, Eli, Flacco and Cutler are all guys I think will be solid enough to carry a team as QB1, or at least QB1BC.
Love Flacco...everything is really set for him to excel this season...he has a nice one-two punch in the backfield with Rice/McGahee...the addition of Boldin with Mason...and hopefully Heap stays healthy...he could suprise in his third season...

sholditch said:

Rivers, Eli

That's 12 starting QBs. All pretty good quality, and when you include Roeth once he's back, this is your 12-team starting QB competition. Considering there is a really good chance that both in tier 2 have a great chance at a 4k yard, 25+ td season, it's a great year to wait on a QB. However, considering the MONSTER production you could get out of two of the QBs in tier 1, it's worth considering a QB-QB start in 2QB leagues.

I think Rivers will be the best value because people are overestimating the impact that losing VJax will have. I think Rivers is good enough to get 4k+ without a WR1. If you want to gamble Kolb and Stafford will probably be available a few rounds later. Eli is a really solid value pick IF he repeats his career year, which I think he will.
Why do you believe Schaub will be a Top 5 QB...outside of AJ and Daniels...who is there...the running game is a mystery...I want to believe you, but I need a bit more help in understand this assertion...

sholditch said:

Rivers, Eli

Why do you believe Schaub will be a Top 5 QB...outside of AJ and Daniels...who is there...the running game is a mystery...I want to believe you, but I need a bit more help in understand this assertion...
Schaub didn't even have Daniels for half of the year last year, and finished top of the heap. If anything, he'll have more to work with coming out of the gates than what he closed with last year. What has changed for the worse in Houston? /hijack

sholditch said:

Rivers, Eli

He played just as well last year with Daniels in as with him out. The running game improved over the offseason with the addition of Tate, and Slaton could be full healthy this year. Led the league in passing last year and was fifth in TDs while only throwing 15 picks. I think it's entirely possible he leads the league again in yards, and could see a couple more Tds and fewer picks.

I am very bullish on Alex Smith. I love Crabtree, VD and Gore can catch it all day. I think AS shocks the world and finishes in the top 12.

I am very bullish on Alex Smith. I love Crabtree, VD and Gore can catch it all day. I think AS shocks the world and finishes in the top 12.
I'm not that far off from you on this one BB2K3. But I have to be fair, my enthusiasm is predicated on a small sample size, he had a very easy schedule last year and his numbers aren't as impressive on an adjusted basis, and he had a disproportionate amount of his production in blowout situations, which isn't something you can expect much of this year if the 49ers defense is as good as advertised. I still like him as a late QB2 with lots of upside though.

sholditch said:

Rivers, Eli

Schaub didn't even have Daniels for half of the year last year, and finished top of the heap. If anything, he'll have more to work with coming out of the gates than what he closed with last year. What has changed for the worse in Houston? /hijack
The only detrimental thing I have seen is losing Kyle Shanahan as the OC....which could turn out to be a big loss.

sholditch said:

Rivers, Eli

The only detrimental thing I have seen is losing Kyle Shanahan as the OC....which could turn out to be a big loss.
Possibly, but I don't see it as likely. Rick Dennison is an older version of Kyle Shanahan in many ways. They're both -- like Kubiak -- directly from that Denver Broncos offensive tree. Dennison and Kubes can absolutely work together, and they system, playbook, terminology, etc...remain identical to last year. This is far less disruptive than many of the offseason coaching changes IMHO.

6 pt passing leagues

This probably won't help but last year Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers were the top 2 Qbs 27 ppg and then there was a pool from Brett Favre at 3 down to D.McNabb at 10 where the avg ppg is roughly 24.5 thru 22.5

From then on you have Kurt Warner at #11 with 20 ppg down to Alex Smith at #22 with 17 ppg...there wasn't a ton of difference between all of them till you break it down game by game.

I like Eli to possibly hit the 2nd tier of QBs this year because of the weapons around him however it also should be said that starting in late November they play a lot of outside games in potentially bad weather which can slow down a potent offense. @Phi, JAX, WASH, @MN(indoor), PHI, @GB, @Wash...gonna be some sloshy weather in there somewhere. I think Eli is going to have a top10 first half of the season no doubt, but look for jacobs and Bradshaw to get more work in the 2nd half of the season...just my opinion.

Thing is though, every team not coached by Mike Martz wants to run the ball effectively and play good defense. There simply isn't a better recipe for success out there. But it's hard to do and teams that do both really well simply don't come around that often. I don't think the Giants can do it just by mental exercise. Their defense just isn't that impressive. What has substantially improved from last year on defense?
They signed Antrele Rolle & Deon Grant to shore up the safety position along with, hopefully getting Kenny Phillips back. The safety position should be vastly improved.We'll see if the Keith Bullock is more than a push from Antonio Pierce, but he should be their new starting middle linebacker.

Their first four draft picks were all defense. Jason Paul-Pierre (DE), Linval Joseph (DT), Chad Jones (S) out for the year after a car crash, Philip Dillard (ILB).

It's also fair to say that more than a few players (Umenyiora, Tuck & Kiwanuka) played below their abilities last season.

It is very reasonable to expect at the very least a modest improvement in 2010 with potential for much more.

sholditch said:

Rivers, Eli

I am not disputing he could be a Top 5...just wanted to know what stood behind this statement...I like Schaub...hell I believe when he plays a full season...as he did last year...he is one of the best around...

I'm not that far off from you on this one BB2K3. But I have to be fair, my enthusiasm is predicated on a small sample size, he had a very easy schedule last year and his numbers aren't as impressive on an adjusted basis, and he had a disproportionate amount of his production in blowout situations, which isn't something you can expect much of this year if the 49ers defense is as good as advertised. I still like him as a late QB2 with lots of upside though.
I'm on board with this, too. He's definately a guy that I will look to stash on my bench as a high end QB2 that could be a surprise starter.

I wouldnt classify Eli as a sleeper...

Though I don't know why Eli is going so late...
That's funny, even you have to admit it and you wrote it.

I think Eli is a solid pick this year. He had over 4k last year, his receivers are improving and I don't think their defense is as good as it was 2 years ago. He should post similar numbers to last year and that would be good enough in my book to qualify him as a sleeper to some degree depending on the hundreds of definitions people go by as to what a sleeper is in their book.

Eli is far from a sleeper...with that said after I finished projections last night I did notice that his projected production compared to his ADP was likely the biggest value I saw at the QB position.
I think this is what the op meant about eli being a sleeper. And, if it's not what the op meant, it's why I would argue that Eli is a great sleeper in the middle rounds :yes:

What is with all the threads lately with people talking about 4000/27 QBs "winning you you're league". A 4000/27 QB might have done that five years ago, but not anymore with the crazy inflated QB numbers we're seeing. 4000/27 would have been good for like QB12 last year. Getting QB12 in the 6th-8th round is not anywhere near a "win you your league" type of thing.

For a QB to win you your league in the modern era, he's got to throw over 40 TDs as a mid-round pick.

FreeBaGeL said:
What is with all the threads lately with people talking about 4000/27 QBs "winning you you're league". A 4000/27 QB might have done that five years ago, but not anymore with the crazy inflated QB numbers we're seeing. 4000/27 would have been good for like QB12 last year. Getting QB12 in the 6th-8th round is not anywhere near a "win you your league" type of thing.For a QB to win you your league in the modern era, he's got to throw over 40 TDs as a mid-round pick.
Care to forward along on the math on this one?

A top 10 QB is not a sleeper. After 20 yes. Its Like saying M. turner is a sleeper. J Freeman thats a sleeper
This is why I don't like the term "sleeper" because everyone has their own set of ideas on what one is. I definately think a QB can be a sleeper in a draft before it reaches 20. You mean if you draft the 18th QB off the board and he finishes NO. 3 in the league that wouldn't qualify as a sleeper pick by seasons end?I don't think you have to say top 5, top 10 or 15. Basically what Eli Manning is, is a QBBC type of a QB heading into this season. If someone drafted him and was able to start him for just about all of their games this season because he was just too hot to sit, then for him I think that would be a sleeper pick.A sleeper just isn't someone you haven't hardly heard of before, but w/e.I like using the term value or something like that. Where can we find value and I agree with the poster than Eli Manning represents value in this year's draft.

I don't see how a guy that was a top 10 fantasy QB last year who has improved receiving options this year is a sleeper, but have at it. :rolleyes:
Agreed, but for whatever reason, very few fantasy owners see him as a top 10 QB. Nice undervalued play.

Users who are viewing this thread