What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Question for veterans or active duty military personnel (1 Viewer)

jdoggydogg

Footballguy
Hi all,

My wife is going to teach a college workshop, and she is considering calling it a boot camp. Is that term offensive to vets? Any and all opinions welcome to chime in!

Boot camp is specifically for marines. Army is known at basic training. I don’t think it is offensive at all. I see a lot of workout classes that are called boot camps. 

Boot camp isn't just for Marines; it's slang for Basic Training for all military branches.  And the term is not offensive.
It’s slang for civilians, but military personnel do not call it the same.

Same as calling your m16/m4 a gun. 😂😂

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure they do, if they want to.  I spent nearly 26 years of active duty in the Air Force.  If I want to call my Basic Military Training "Boot Camp", I can.   :P
I apologize, I should have spoke more from my experience. We were not ever able to call army basic training a boot camp.

Hi all,

My wife is going to teach a college workshop, and she is considering calling it a boot camp. Is that term offensive to vets? Any and all opinions welcome to chime in!
Nope

If she started calling the attendees Soldiers, referred to her privates, and made a bunch of over the top military references, you might offend someone.  

Hi all,

Was in for 16 years, and nope not offensive in the slightest.
Although I have periodically joked to my wife when she would go to a workout 'bootcamp' that I should offer to help teach it but they'd just be polishing boots for 3 hours.

I am a 20 year USAF Retiree and bootcamp is not offensive to me at all, I even see many physical fitness classes out in the civilian world called bootcamps so its a rather universal term now. 

Was in for 16 years, and nope not offensive in the slightest.
Although I have periodically joked to my wife when she would go to a workout 'bootcamp' that I should offer to help teach it but they'd just be polishing boots for 3 hours.
The first hour would be spent teaching people how to make their bed and fold their clothes.

BobbyLayne said:
One thing I always loved about USMC

I’m ex-Navy. Lot of my veteran friends are ex-Army. Airman used to be in the Air Force.

for jarheads, it’s “I’m a marine.” fresh out of basic, active, retired, veteran - you are always a marine.
But don't call Marines Navy dependants.  They hate that.

BobbyLayne said:
SE - boot Orlando, BE&E Orlando, A school Pensacola, Charleston, Mayport (Jax) / 3 deployments to Med/IO & 1 South American

’twas an eventful 6 years
I was stationed at Cecil Field in Jacksonville, 81-85

-OZ- said:
Nope

If she started calling the attendees Soldiers, referred to her privates, and made a bunch of over the top military references, you might offend someone.  
I was in the Army Reserve back in the early 80s and went to Basic Training, just like anyone else who joined the Army.  (I was Radar O'Rielly in a medical unit.)

Once back in my reserve unit, back with the officers who were all directly-commissioned, the woman who was a major referenced me and a buddy as, "These are my privates."  Me and the other guy could not stop laughing the rest of the weekend.  Tears.

I was in the Army Reserve back in the early 80s and went to Basic Training, just like anyone else who joined the Army.  (I was Radar O'Rielly in a medical unit.)

Once back in my reserve unit, back with the officers who were all directly-commissioned, the woman who was a major referenced me and a buddy as, "These are my privates."  Me and the other guy could not stop laughing the rest of the weekend.  Tears.
I always tried to treat my privates well. Sometimes they took a good beating (PT)

Users who are viewing this thread