What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Question on auction/keeper league rules (1 Viewer)

otis68

Footballguy
We're starting up an auction league in which owners will be able to keep up to 3 players for next year.

One question we have not resolved is how to handle trades. Do people typically only allow player for player trades, or do you also allow the inclusion of free agency dollars, or even dollars in the next years auction.

For some background, 16 man rosters with an auction budget of $200. We will then get $200 in blind bid free agency dollars for the season.

Rosters lock at the end of the regular season, and a fresh $200 of free agency blind bid dollars awarded the week following NFL draft (you can bid on rookies with these dollars prior to auction). You can declare up to 3 keepers prior to auction, and cost is acquisition price + $5.

I'm really intrigued at the idea of allowing trade of auction dollars in the off season. I think it will be somewhat self limiting, as the acquiring owner will have to essentially pay double for a player (paying both the keeper value at auction and the amount to the trade partner). But I'm curious what other folks think.

I like the idea of including cash in the trade - actually, I think many options like this just make FF that much more fun. I love the rookie draft idea - without overdoing it, it extends the FF season and keeps owners' interests all year round!

We're starting up an auction league in which owners will be able to keep up to 3 players for next year.One question we have not resolved is how to handle trades. Do people typically only allow player for player trades, or do you also allow the inclusion of free agency dollars, or even dollars in the next years auction.For some background, 16 man rosters with an auction budget of $200. We will then get $200 in blind bid free agency dollars for the season. Rosters lock at the end of the regular season, and a fresh $200 of free agency blind bid dollars awarded the week following NFL draft (you can bid on rookies with these dollars prior to auction). You can declare up to 3 keepers prior to auction, and cost is acquisition price + $5. I'm really intrigued at the idea of allowing trade of auction dollars in the off season. I think it will be somewhat self limiting, as the acquiring owner will have to essentially pay double for a player (paying both the keeper value at auction and the amount to the trade partner). But I'm curious what other folks think.
I play in an 18 team auction keeper league that also has $200 auction budget. We are allowed to trade money from next years draft during the season for players. We have a $50 limit where no team can give or receive more than the set money during the season. It allows for some interesting strategies as some teams trade away their best players for money and cheap keepers to improve for the future as others go for it all. Love the way we have it set up.

We're starting up an auction league in which owners will be able to keep up to 3 players for next year.One question we have not resolved is how to handle trades. Do people typically only allow player for player trades, or do you also allow the inclusion of free agency dollars, or even dollars in the next years auction.For some background, 16 man rosters with an auction budget of $200. We will then get $200 in blind bid free agency dollars for the season. Rosters lock at the end of the regular season, and a fresh $200 of free agency blind bid dollars awarded the week following NFL draft (you can bid on rookies with these dollars prior to auction). You can declare up to 3 keepers prior to auction, and cost is acquisition price + $5. I'm really intrigued at the idea of allowing trade of auction dollars in the off season. I think it will be somewhat self limiting, as the acquiring owner will have to essentially pay double for a player (paying both the keeper value at auction and the amount to the trade partner). But I'm curious what other folks think.
I play in an 18 team auction keeper league that also has $200 auction budget. We are allowed to trade money from next years draft during the season for players. We have a $50 limit where no team can give or receive more than the set money during the season. It allows for some interesting strategies as some teams trade away their best players for money and cheap keepers to improve for the future as others go for it all. Love the way we have it set up.
This is exactly what I'm interested in hearing, glad to hear it works. The biggest issue I can think of is you have to have a good group of owners, because if someone trades away their auction and leaves, that would leave a mess.

I have not played in leagues that allow trading of salary cap or future salary cap auction $.

I would be very careful in considering that for a league unless you know you have a very strong group of owners.

Otherwise you'll get someone selling off too much for a title run, missing and quitting.

Replacing owners in auction keeper leagues can be difficult and if that vacant team has $50 less cap space it becomes impossible.

Trading of FAAB dollars or future auction dollars should NEVER be permitted - it opens the door for some really bad deal even possible collusion and as someone already noted would easily lead to someone who managed their team poorly quitting the league - then how are you going to get a replacement to take over a bad team and less money than everyone else in the upcoming auction.

BAD idea

'otis68 said:
This is exactly what I'm interested in hearing, glad to hear it works. The biggest issue I can think of is you have to have a good group of owners, because if someone trades away their auction and leaves, that would leave a mess.
Fortunately, we do have a good set of owners as it is a family based league. We do make it mandatory that if/when you trade future auction money, your following league fee must be paid at the time of the trade. The league also has the right to veto any trade and the commissioner also has veto power. PM me if you have any more questions as I would love to share more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just posted about this. I'm trying to do the same thing. How do you guys make this work? ESPN says you can't customize individual budgets. Is there a way around this?

If it's a money league and you allow trading of future picks, salary cap, free agent cap, etc, then you should really require the team's entry fee for that upcoming season be paid in advance.

That way if they walk and leave the team in a bad position, it's a lot easier to get a new owner to take over a bad team with his first year free, than to expect him to pay normal price.

Oh, and be sure to stipulate any such replacement owner's entry is covered by the advance payment. Some greedy folks will try to have that advance money put in the pool and still make the new guy pay.

Re. ESPN leagues not allowing customized budgets, you can always just set the budget in the draft software to something higher than your real limit, but assign everyone their real number outside of the system, and then run the draft with the real budget numbers, so that most owners would have some money left over according to the software. For example, if your base is $200, but one team has $250 due to trades, then tell the site your budget is $250 but have everyone else not spend that last $50. A bit of a pain, but perhaps worth it, if you've been using that site for a long time.

Personally, I wouldn't allow FAAB and/or future auction dollars in trades (trading cheap keepers for expensive ones effectively does the same thing with less potential for abuse/screwups), but that's moot at this point, I guess

We allow trading of future cap space, but require percentage of next year's league fees ($150) from 'donor' team. I dealt Kaepernick + $15 of this year's cap at last year's deadline for Ryan+McCoy (2 QB league where my QB2 was Schaub: before McCoy went down and Kaepernick blew up). Still have an awesome core but gawd that trade stings now.

Users who are viewing this thread