What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rahim Moore's blunder (1 Viewer)

Popinski

Footballguy
I can't think of a worse play by a defender in a big situation Moore wasn't playing deep enough to begin with. But even then Flacco's throw had enough air on that Moore had time to recover, yet he stopped short because he completely misjudged the ball.Although it won't be remember as such, it wasn't far off of Bill Buckner or Chris Webber. Leon Lett had the fumble in the Super bowl, but the game was over. Am I missing some other plays on this level?ETA: I'm specifically asking about plays by an NFL defender.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need some perspective. This was just a divisional playoff game. Not a Super Bowl or 6th game of the world series or college basketball final.

I can't think of a worse play by a defender in a big situation Moore wasn't playing deep enough to begin with. But even then Flacco's throw had enough air on that Moore had time to recover, yet he stopped short because he completely misjudged the ball.Although it won't be remember as such, it wasn't far off of Bill Buckner or Chris Webber. Leon Lett had the fumble in the Super bowl, but the game was over. Am I missing some other plays on this level?
The Chargers CB that intercepted Brady and all he had to do was fall down and the Chargers go to the SB. But he decided he needed a run back for some reason and fumbled.

I agree, it's up there with big-time chokes for sure. I think he had too much time to think about it and panicked. Even though it was just a second or two, it was enough time for him to question what he should do. Otherwise, he makes that play no problem.

Bill Buckner's error was in game six of the world series in a tied game in extra innings. This was just a divisional game.

Am I missing some other plays on this level?
Down 1 point and with ten seconds to play in the 1982 NCAA Men's Basketball Championship, Georgetown's Fred Brown inexplicably passes the ball to North Carolina's James Worthy.

Asante Samuel dropping the game-clinching INT vs. NYG in 2007. Would've sealed 19-0 season.
Hadn't thought of that. That might be on the same level, but more so because the moment was bigger. The INT wasn't easy though, as Samuel had to jump and extend his arms out to get his hands on the ball. And IIRC, it wasn't a given that Samuel would have gotten both feet in bounds.

I hate to bring this up, but everyone focuses on Franco's amazing catch and run in the Immaculate Reception. It never would have happened had Jack Tatum simply tried to knock the ball down instead of going for his patented kill shot on Fuqua.

Asante Samuel dropping the game-clinching INT vs. NYG in 2007. Would've sealed 19-0 season.
Hadn't thought of that. That might be on the same level, but more so because the moment was bigger. The INT wasn't easy though, as Samuel had to jump and extend his arms out to get his hands on the ball. And IIRC, it wasn't a given that Samuel would have gotten both feet in bounds.
As far as bigger moment and boneheaded play, the interception then fumble is a worse screwup.

I can't think of a worse play by a defender in a big situation Moore wasn't playing deep enough to begin with. But even then Flacco's throw had enough air on that Moore had time to recover, yet he stopped short because he completely misjudged the ball.Although it won't be remember as such, it wasn't far off of Bill Buckner or Chris Webber. Leon Lett had the fumble in the Super bowl, but the game was over. Am I missing some other plays on this level?
The Chargers CB that intercepted Brady and all he had to do was fall down and the Chargers go to the SB. But he decided he needed a run back for some reason and fumbled.
Don't remember this play?

Don't remember this play?
Here:
But the one play that really exemplifies what Troy Brown was all about came in the 2006 playoffs against the Chargers. San Diego’s Marlon McCree intercepted a pass which at the moment appeared to guarantee a win for the Chargers. Troy didn’t just hang his head and give up though; he stripped the ball away from McCree which resulted in the Pats retaining possession, and they won the game to advance to the conference championship.
Unbelievably,
is the only clip of it I could find.Slightly better than watching it from Mars.

This occurred in the divisional playoff game, and there was a decent amount of time left in the 4th quarter still (5-ish minutes?). A touchdown return seals the game so its not as bad a mistake as Moore's. It was brutal though.

I don't think it was death threat worthy, and he is getting a lot of those on Twitter right now.
What is?eta: seems like some of those could/should qualify to be looked at by law enforcement. They have a lot of free time in Denver now that they aren't putting away stoners.

I don't think it was death threat worthy, and he is getting a lot of those on Twitter right now.
I think people are getting death threats for everything, nowadays.btw, nowadays is kind of a ######ed word -- is that actually a word?the guy who killed off spiderman is getting death threats.I mean the guy who wrote it.

This occurred in the divisional playoff game, and there was a decent amount of time left in the 4th quarter still (5-ish minutes?). A touchdown return seals the game so its not as bad a mistake as Moore's. It was brutal though.
I looked it up, and you were right- 6 and a half minutes left to play in that one. Funny how the mind changes details around to fit the narrative better- I could have sworn there were only 2 minutes left and all SD had to do was kneel out the clock. You could go with whoever on Pittsburgh was supposed to be covering Demaryius in overtime, I suppose. I don't know, I don't think there are too many instances of 70+ yard game-winning or game-tying TDs at the end of regulation or in overtime in postseason history.

I looked it up, and you were right- 6 and a half minutes left to play in that one. Funny how the mind changes details around to fit the narrative better-
Funny how you say that people will see what they want to see...and yet you claim Fox is great for the Broncos. Hilarious.

I looked it up, and you were right- 6 and a half minutes left to play in that one. Funny how the mind changes details around to fit the narrative better-
Funny how you say that people will see what they want to see...and yet you claim Fox is great for the Broncos. Hilarious.
I know that John Fox took over the worst Broncos team I have ever seen. I know that this year, he presided over the best Broncos squad I've seen since 1998, and easily one of the ten best Broncos teams of all time (I'd say pretty comfortably one of the five best). The only funny thing is how some people can see a coach take a team from its worst iteration in history to one of its best iterations in history in just two short years, and describe that coach in any manner other than "great for the Broncos". Yeah, Fox is great for the Broncos. Phenomenal. Unbelievable. His teams have exceeded even my wildest expectations. Any fan who wants to throw all that away because they disagree with a handful of calls in a double overtime game is a fan who, quite frankly, I'm really glad has absolutely no say in any meaningful decision-making processes at Dove Valley. Seriously, you sound like those Pittsburgh fans who wanted Rooney to can Cowher in the early 2000s. Or worse, one of those Chargers fans who was excited when Norv was hired because, hey, at least he wasn't Marty.

I know that John Fox took over the worst Broncos team I have ever seen. I know that this year, he presided over the best Broncos squad I've seen since 1998, and easily one of the ten best Broncos teams of all time (I'd say pretty comfortably one of the five best). The only funny thing is how some people can see a coach take a team from its worst iteration in history to one of its best iterations in history in just two short years, and describe that coach in any manner other than "great for the Broncos". Yeah, Fox is great for the Broncos. Phenomenal. Unbelievable. His teams have exceeded even my wildest expectations. Any fan who wants to throw all that away because they disagree with a handful of calls in a double overtime game is a fan who, quite frankly, I'm really glad has absolutely no say in any meaningful decision-making processes at Dove Valley. Seriously, you sound like those Pittsburgh fans who wanted Rooney to can Cowher in the early 2000s. Or worse, one of those Chargers fans who was excited when Norv was hired because, hey, at least he wasn't Marty.
:hophead:There are plenty of coaches that could've "achieved" what John Fox did this year. And more. Ultimately, he failed big-time, when it counted most. His track record and tendencies go way beyond this game and the Broncos season. He's just another conservative NFL coach, coaching not to lose. Marty, Lovie, Herm, Romeo, the list goes on. they're all the same...they never end up winning it. Justify it all you want, it's not going to change, Fox is another also-ran. An old, conservative re-tread who is so entrenched in his ways, he couldn't even stomach trusting a QB like Peyton Manning...for 7 yards. At home. Couldn't trust Manning with 3 TOs and 36 seconds to move the ball 45 yards before the half. In a tie game no less. I could go on and on, it's not just this game by any means. The guy is a joke. Walsh, Parcells, JJohnson, etc. never would've curled up like that, no way.

I looked it up, and you were right- 6 and a half minutes left to play in that one. Funny how the mind changes details around to fit the narrative better- I could have sworn there were only 2 minutes left and all SD had to do was kneel out the clock. You could go with whoever on Pittsburgh was supposed to be covering Demaryius in overtime, I suppose. I don't know, I don't think there are too many instances of 70+ yard game-winning or game-tying TDs at the end of regulation or in overtime in postseason history.
The SD play comes to mind for me. Crazy dumb on so many levels. LT was owning the Pats that day; they had a great shot of milking the clock down.

It wasn't a defender of course but Reche Caldwell's drop against the Colts cost the Patriots a trip to the Super Bowl in 2006.

Lewis Billups dropped interception of Montana in 1988 Superbowl.
This is the first one that came to mind when I read the thread title.
Mine too. Had the SuperBowl in his hands on an easy pick and didn't make the play.
I wouldn't say he had the Superbowl in his hands...if I recall that play was in the 3rd quarter. Sure the Bengals would have still been up but...way too early to put the entire game on his drop

'SSOG said:
'Ernol said:
'mad sweeney said:
'Popinski said:
No Ike Taylor played terrible the whole game not just one play.

It's right up there with the coach that decided he'd kneel down with 30 seconds left in a tie game, with 2 timeouts, and Peyton Manning. I'm not sure if this was even the biggest blunder in the last minute of this particular game.

It's right up there with the coach that decided he'd kneel down with 30 seconds left in a tie game, with 2 timeouts, and Peyton Manning. I'm not sure if this was even the biggest blunder in the last minute of this particular game.
Yeah, I don't get that decision at all.

'DaveL said:
'wdcrob said:
'Bodeine said:
'knowledge dropper said:
Lewis Billups dropped interception of Montana in 1988 Superbowl.
This is the first one that came to mind when I read the thread title.
Mine too. Had the SuperBowl in his hands on an easy pick and didn't make the play.
I wouldn't say he had the Superbowl in his hands...if I recall that play was in the 3rd quarter. Sure the Bengals would have still been up but...way too early to put the entire game on his drop
Thought it was the play before SF took the lead. I remember hoping SF should play it safe and take the FG after that play.

Could not believe that, throw in fact that Ravens had no TOs left, the Broncos had already posted 35 points and that you only have to look at a WR to get a PI call these days and the decision looks even worse.

Could not believe that, throw in fact that Ravens had no TOs left, the Broncos had already posted 35 points and that you only have to look at a WR to get a PI call these days and the decision looks even worse.
I watched Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, and Gould put a game into OT against Seattle in a slightly worse set of circumstance a few weeks ago. Just inexcusable.

'Andrew74 said:
'SSOG said:
'Ernol said:
'mad sweeney said:
'Popinski said:
The SD play comes to mind for me. Crazy dumb on so many levels. LT was owning the Pats that day; they had a great shot of milking the clock down.
And it was fourth down. So while catching the ball and sliding would have been fine, so would just dropping it. Anything but catching it and giving it back.

'mad sweeney said:
'Popinski said:
Marlon McCree (S) > :(

Users who are viewing this thread