What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Raiders/Vikings talking about Rosenfels (1 Viewer)

FunkyPlutos

Footballguy
1. From what I hear, the Donovan McNabb trade talks center on two teams: the Bills, who have an interest but are concerned about McNabb not having an extension in place, and the Raiders, who are looking at every quarterback option. A team executive told me the Raiders and Vikings are discussing the availability of backup quarterback Sage Rosenfels. Trading Rosenfels would only happen if the Vikings know for certain that Brett Favre is coming back.
Link

Perfect Scenario

1. Vikings trade Sage to Raiders for 2nd or 3rd round pick

2. Favre returns and signs a one year extension (yea I know he be very old 42)

3. Vikings draft Tebow and he watches Favre for two years.

Back when all the Vikings had was Rosenfels, Tavaris Jackson, and co., we were talking about how they had everything but a quarterback. The fact that the Raiders consider one of their quarterbacks an upgrade over what they currently have is telling.

Gopher, I'd say that there is no way that the Raiders would give up a "second or third" for Rosenfels, if they weren't the Raiders. So you may have a chance here.

If I were the Vikings, I'd be very wary of trading away QB depth while Favre does his annual retirement song and dance.

As a Pats fan, I hope the Raiders don't get McNabb this year, and screw up the value of the 2011 first rounder the Pats got for Seymour.

Perfect Scenario1. Vikings trade Sage to Raiders for 2nd or 3rd round pick2. Favre returns and signs a one year extension (yea I know he be very old 42)3. Vikings draft Tebow and he watches Favre for two years.
That would be very good for us, except for two things that are complete and utter fiction:1. Even the Raiders wouldn't move a 2nd or 3rd for Rosenfels. He cost us, what, a 4th when we got him from the Texans? So why would another NFL team give us an upgrade to that value after Rosenfels is another year older and he rotted on our bench for the entire 2009 season (don't think he took a single snap)?2. Tebow. For the Vikings to land him, we're likely talking about the 1.30 pick or even a possible move up to get him. With our DTs getting another year older, our LB corps lacking another playmaker to pair with Greenway (assuming E.J. Henderson can never return to his former self), CB Griffin's injury and our safeties chronically leaving something to be desired, QB would be lower on the team's list of priorities. Unless you think that Tebow is the second coming. I think he could be an "okay" NFL starter after a couple years, but stud? I just don't see it. That's not to question his heart and determination though! However, heart and determination only take you so far. Just ask datonn about his failed attempts at a professional baseball career...after ripping his shoulder to shreds the Summer after his senior year of high school... :lmao:

I hope it happens. I think Sage deserves to start somewhere and the Vikings just continue to string him along.

lol @ Bostonfred nailing that it's a pipedream to consider getting a 2nd or 3rd for Sage from any team but the Raiders. Good call.

The key point in the quote was the Vikings would only do this if they knew Favre was coming back. I guess we will have to wait until August on this one.

The key point in the quote was the Vikings would only do this if they knew Favre was coming back. I guess we will have to wait until August on this one.
I don't know why the Vikings would jeopardize this trade by waiting. Sage is the Vikings 3rd string QB. I don't think he was activated in a single game last year. I believe he was Speilman's project but never Childress's. Vikings should take a pick between 4th and 6th round for him. After the draft, there could be a several QBs available. (Hasselbeck or Bulger maybe). Vikings could get one of those QBs if Favre retires. If Favre doesn't retire, it clears room for a rookie.

I don't know why the Vikings would jeopardize this trade by waiting. Sage is the Vikings 3rd string QB. I don't think he was activated in a single game last year. I believe he was Speilman's project but never Childress's. Vikings should take a pick between 4th and 6th round for him. After the draft, there could be a several QBs available. (Hasselbeck or Bulger maybe). Vikings could get one of those QBs if Favre retires. If Favre doesn't retire, it clears room for a rookie.
Yeah. They are going to get a rookie regardless, so if they are going to keep their wagon hitched to Tarvaris (which is unclear right now given his contract situation but it feels like they aren't in a hurry to nail everything into place) then they don't need Sage.

Wouldn't it be nice to know that now?

Perfect Scenario

That would be very good for us, except for two things that are complete and utter fiction:1. Even the Raiders wouldn't move a 2nd or 3rd for Rosenfels. He cost us, what, a 4th when we got him from the Texans? So why would another NFL team give us an upgrade to that value after Rosenfels is another year older and he rotted on our bench for the entire 2009 season (don't think he took a single snap)?

2. Tebow. For the Vikings to land him, we're likely talking about the 1.30 pick or even a possible move up to get him. With our DTs getting another year older, our LB corps lacking another playmaker to pair with Greenway (assuming E.J. Henderson can never return to his former self), CB Griffin's injury and our safeties chronically leaving something to be desired, QB would be lower on the team's list of priorities. Unless you think that Tebow is the second coming. I think he could be an "okay" NFL starter after a couple years, but stud? I just don't see it. That's not to question his heart and determination though! However, heart and determination only take you so far. Just ask datonn about his failed attempts at a professional baseball career...after ripping his shoulder to shreds the Summer after his senior year of high school... :rolleyes:
Tebow is not an NFL player and the scouts of the world have to be smart enough not to draft this guy in the 1st 3 and what should be 4 rounds of the NFL draft

No that would ruin the suspense.

Does anyone really believe Favre is going to retire? Seems pretty clear to me that he and Chilly have an agreement that Brett will come back but won't go through training camp. Rather than come out and say this, we have to go through this song and dance so that Chilly doesn't look like a pushover. At any rate, I'm pretty sure that the Vikes know that Favre is coming back.

Does anyone really believe Favre is going to retire? Seems pretty clear to me that he and Chilly have an agreement that Brett will come back but won't go through training camp. Rather than come out and say this, we have to go through this song and dance so that Chilly doesn't look like a pushover. At any rate, I'm pretty sure that the Vikes know that Favre is coming back.
:goodposting: There really should not be any debate about this whatsoever. Favre even courted LT about coming to play for the Vikings. Favre is back for 2010, he just won't be there for training camp.

Gopher, I'd say that there is no way that the Raiders would give up a "second or third" for Rosenfels, if they weren't the Raiders. So you may have a chance here.
Sage garnered a 4th from Minnesota to get him from Houston, so I'm not sure how his stock went up to a 2nd or 3rd by hardly playing.

Just like they knew last year and allowed Favre to miss training camp by playing the same song and dance. What makes Childress look more foolish? Letting Favre miss training camp or lying to the media about not knowing if Favre is coming back?

Perfect Scenario1. Vikings trade Sage to Raiders for 2nd or 3rd round pick2. Favre returns and signs a one year extension (yea I know he be very old 42)3. Vikings draft Tebow and he watches Favre for two years.
As a Packer fan, I'd much rather.1. Vikings trade Sage to Raiders. Blow the draft pick on Tebow.2. Favre stays retired forcing the Vikings to start Jackson who leads them to 8-8.

Sage garnered a 4th from Minnesota to get him from Houston, so I'm not sure how his stock went up to a 2nd or 3rd by hardly playing.
Because he hardly played. They're buying potential, and as teams get more uneasy with their quarterback situation (say, if one of them clocks in at three bills) the potential becomes more valuable-- especially if he's done nothing to tarnish it.

[quote name='ScottyFargo' post='11662885' date='Mar 28 2010, 03:25 PM'Does anyone really believe Favre is going to retire? Seems pretty clear to me that he and Chilly have an agreement that Brett will come back but won't go through training camp. Rather than come out and say this, we have to go through this song and dance so that Chilly doesn't look like a pushover.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure that the Vikes know that Favre is coming back.
Just like they knew last year and allowed Favre to miss training camp by playing the same song and dance. What makes Childress look more foolish? Letting Favre miss training camp or lying to the media about not knowing if Favre is coming back?
I don't think they knew last year. Favre was really unsure if he could play at a high level again after his injury. This year is different. Doesn't it seem a bit odd that Childress quickly denied any interest in Mcnabb and now he's shopping Rosenfels? At least odd if there was any uncertainty at the QB position.

For what it's worth, Childress is a tool and I believe he'd rather lie to the media than admit to letting Favre call the shots.

Rosenfels is a great "veteran backup on a good team" kind of guy. Think Frank Reich.

He would be a horrible starting quarterback for the Oakland Raiders.

Neil Beaufort Zod said:
David Yudkin said:
bostonfred said:
Because he hardly played. They're buying potential, and as teams get more uneasy with their quarterback situation (say, if one of them clocks in at three bills) the potential becomes more valuable-- especially if he's done nothing to tarnish it.
This is genius. Maybe by 2011 Rosenfels will be worth a 1st rounder!

Neil Beaufort Zod said:
David Yudkin said:
bostonfred said:
:lmao:

Am I the only guy here who likes Rosenfels? I always thought he would do pretty decent if he was given a shot. He just hasn't gotten that shot.

I liked it up to #3. I will find it hard to root for a guy who wears Bible verses on his face and spouts anti-choice rhetoric in the name of God. I just don't like mixing my football with religion--football IS my religion. That and I don't think the guy is ever going to be a good NFL quarterback.

Or maybe they know the Favre is done and they want to get rid of Sage to make way for McNabb?
If Favre is done they don't need to get rid of anyone to make way for McNabb.
Maybe they're going to trade for McNabb and let him sit behind Favre for a year :mellow: Seriously, I think the best case scenario would be to have Favre come back this year and sign McNabb next year. McNabb can refuse to sign an extension and perhaps the Eagles will be stuck with him for the last year of his contract. Then Favre can retire for good next year and McNabb can go to the Vikes as a free agent. The Vikings wouldn't have to give up a pick for McNabb in that case.

If the Raiders trade for McNabb it means two things: The Raiders won't be trading for Rosenfels and the Vikings won't be able to get McNabb next year. Either McNabb would sign a new contract or the Raiders would franchise him for next season (if there even is an '11 season absent a lockout.)

Perfect Scenario

I liked it up to #3. I will find it hard to root for a guy who wears Bible verses on his face and spouts anti-choice rhetoric in the name of God. I just don't like mixing my football with religion--football IS my religion. That and I don't think the guy is ever going to be a good NFL quarterback.
Link, I missed this.

If the Raiders trade for McNabb it means two things: The Raiders won't be trading for Rosenfels and the Vikings won't be able to get McNabb next year. Either McNabb would sign a new contract or the Raiders would franchise him for next season (if there even is an '11 season absent a lockout.)
They were discussing the likelihood of a franchise tag on McNabb this morning on the radio. They were saying teams probably wouldn't be willing to pay him that kind of money. But you never know...

They were discussing the likelihood of a franchise tag on McNabb this morning on the radio. They were saying teams probably wouldn't be willing to pay him that kind of money. But you never know...
Teams wouldn't but the Raiders have already set that precedent with their trade and subsequent tagging of Seymour. $20 million for McNabb might make them think twice though, as you say.

ScottyFargo said:
John 14:6 said:
Teams wouldn't but the Raiders have already set that precedent with their trade and subsequent tagging of Seymour. $20 million for McNabb might make them think twice though, as you say.
Is 20 million the tag for a QB now?

Perfect Scenario

Link, I missed this.
I don't have a specific link, but Tebow did a pro-life commercial during the super-bowl, for christs-sake. How did you miss that?

Players paint and tattoo themselves with tons of stuff. What's the big deal if he happens to use Bible verses?

ScottyFargo said:
John 14:6 said:
I could be wrong, I remember reading that somewhere.

Vikes and Raiders collude in getting the Eagles to trade nab to Oaktown for their 2nd rounder. The Raiders then Trade Nab for Rosenwhaterevers and a 1rst rounder.

Brett Favre says WTF????

Perfect Scenario

Link, I missed this.
It was played during some unknown championship game. Now what the heck did they call it? Oh yeah...The Super Bowl. Maybe you heard of it? Or maybe there was a marathon of Prisoner: Cell Block H on TV that day, I don't know...

Rosenfels is 32 and has never shown the ability to be a legit starter in the NFL. How much potential do you think he has? He may be better than Russell (so is pretty much everyone), but OAK would still have the worst starting QB in the NFL.

ScottyFargo said:
I could be wrong, I remember reading that somewhere.
It's very likely that by the time McNabb would be tagged both Peyton and Drew Brees will have new deals. I think that's what has pushed it up so far.

Perfect Scenario

Link, I missed this.
It was played during some unknown championship game. Now what the heck did they call it? Oh yeah...The Super Bowl. Maybe you heard of it? Or maybe there was a marathon of Prisoner: Cell Block H on TV that day, I don't know...
If you are talking about the SB commercial you have a major problem. I didn't hear any anti-abortion rhetoric. The message was "celebrate life, celebrate family" if you have a problem with that I feel sorry for you. Please correct me if I am wrong.Link to commercial

Perfect Scenario

Link, I missed this.
If you are talking about the SB commercial you have a major problem. I didn't hear any anti-abortion rhetoric. The message was "celebrate life, celebrate family" if you have a problem with that I feel sorry for you. Please correct me if I am wrong.Link to commercial
1) Where did I say I have a problem with the commercial?

2) Did you see the end of the commercial? Focus on the Family did that commercial. Go check them out and get back to us.

And this whole "I feel sorry for you", please cut that crap.

Users who are viewing this thread