What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rainbow Bridge/Car Explosion (1 Viewer)

Wow, we walked by that just the past August. Probably enough people there this week with some schools being off.

My furious searching has found everything from "clearly a car bomb/terror attack", to really odd accident and witness can be found saying the car was going in both directions.

IE: Not a lot of clarity.

It does appear they've closed the Buffalo airport.

I saw a short video clip of it. Single vehicle explosion. Didnt appear to be anything major as far as damage goes. They have closed all 3 bridges between Can and USA as there are 3 fairly close. FBI involved as well as Canadian law enforcement. That's all I've seen thus far but obviously being taken very seriously.

"At least one person died in a car that exploded Wednesday at the US-Canada Rainbow Bridge border crossing, law enforcement sources told CNN."

Witness they interviewed said no explosion. High speed crash, fire, 2 occupants dead.

the cnn link says explosion

link
A car traveling at 100mph hitting a concrete barrier is likely to sound like an explosion.
"The moment a vehicle exploded at the US-Canada Rainbow Bridge border crossing was captured by surveillance camera."

:shrug:
I'm sure CNN is always right. ;) Only thing that makes me think this is anything nefarious is the high rate of speed and the response by the FBI/others. Possibly just due diligence.

"The vehicle hit a curb and went airborne over a barrier, landing in a secondary search area, where it exploded, according to the sources."

"At least one person died in a car that exploded Wednesday at the US-Canada Rainbow Bridge border crossing, law enforcement sources told CNN."
Both occupants apparently dead (assuming there were 2, per reports). No way they could have survived that.

Both occupants apparently dead (assuming there were 2, per reports). No way they could have survived that.
Yeah, the article mentioned that they initially thought there were 2, but now aren't so sure. And trying to identify bodies is difficult.

Yeah, the article mentioned that they initially thought there were 2, but now aren't so sure. And trying to identify bodies is difficult.
Lot of guessing going on right now.

A witness, Mike Guenther, told WGRZ-TV that he saw a vehicle speeding toward the crossing from the U.S. side of the border when it swerved to avoid another car, crashed into a fence and exploded.

“All of a sudden he went up in the air and then it was a ball of fire like 30 or 40 feet high,” Guenther told the station. “I never saw anything like it.”

NY Gov:
Before she wrapped up, Governor Hochul said the car had been travelling at a “very high high rate of speed”.
She said it crashed into a median and flew over a fence that was about 8-feet (2.4m) high.
The governor said it was surreal to see video of how high the vehicle flew into the air, and also said that same video would be released "very shortly".
The governor says it was "an horrific explosion" and the investigation will "go on for a number of days".
She reiterates that "at this time, there is no indication" of "terrorist activity".

ETA: I did see the video and they definitely got good air.

Witness they interviewed said no explosion. High speed crash, fire, 2 occupants dead.

the cnn link says explosion

link
A car traveling at 100mph hitting a concrete barrier is likely to sound like an explosion.
was a car accident up the street from me earlier this year. kid got rear-ended by a women doing at least 35-40 (speed limit is 35 here). sounded like a freaking bomb went off.

They were apparently planning to attend a KISS concert in Ottawa when it was canceled at the last minute.

Odd how it was big headlines on CNN and others when it was thought to be terrorism but now that it's a traffic investigation it's a bit more scaled down.

Also, they're using the word "explosion" kind of loosely. When people hear explosion/exploded they usually think bomb. There was no bomb and there was no "explosion." It was a violent crash and the car burst into flames.

Fox News outright called it a terrorist attack then had to walk it back to the disappointment of its followers.

The leader of the Canadian Conservative party called it a terrorist attack in parliament and tried to use it to score points against the liberals.

It was not a terrorist attack.

Please note all of the above are simply facts, no politics/political opinion expressed.

Fox News outright called it a terrorist attack then had to walk it back to the disappointment of its followers.

The leader of the Canadian Conservative party called it a terrorist attack in parliament and tried to use it to score points against the liberals.

Please note all of the above are simply facts, no politics/political opinion expressed.
To be fair, when I first saw the news on this incident online, which was some time before this thread even started, ALL the outlets were suggesting it was a Terrorist attack. They all really jumped the gun.

I’m not sure about the speed… but Google Street view of the area very likely shows the jersey barrier that almost certainly served as the ramp. But the speed needed do that? Yikes.

Except your facts were sent through a particular filter. You people just can't help yourselves.

To be fair, when I first saw the news on this incident online, which was some time before this thread even started, ALL the outlets were suggesting it was a Terrorist attack. They all really jumped the gun.
This is simply not true.

Users who are viewing this thread