What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Raised bed garden - are they worth it? (1 Viewer)

Type of garden

• Container

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Raised Bed

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • In Ground

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Buy an avacodo tree instead

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

MTskibum

Footballguy
My wife and I have been talking about building a raised bed garden for a while but this year we finally priced it out and to make it look professional we come up with a cost of ~600 dollars. Over half of the cost would be to build a structure around it. We get birds in the summertime that destroy the tomatoes plus this would allow us to use plastic in the wintertime to keep a year round garden.

We have been enthusiastic about this project until we priced it out and now we are getting cold feet. We are now 50/50 on whether we will proceed or not.

Another option is I could probably build a net structure for 1/3 of the price, but it would not look as professional, would not be as functional, and would not let me double it as a wintertime greenhouse.

Wood raised bed frame: 100 dollars
Dirt: 150 dollars
Pathway: 75 dollars
Black Pipe: 250 dollars
Netting/plastic for greenhouse: 50 dollars

Crude plans:
https://imgur.com/a/oj5gOrK

The below piping is what I would use to build the greenhouse structure and I would paint it to prevent it from rusting.
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Black-pipe-fittings-Pipe-fittings-Plumbing/3914584370

We built 2 raised beds this year. My advice is it depends on how long you plan to have the structure. If it’s gonna be over multiyear, then it makes a lot of sense. If it’s a one year deal then it makes no sense. As we were thinking more long-term. It made a lot of sense for us to invest in it now.

I’m wood worker and have built others in the past. But with the price of wood now it and my limited time due to work I bought these. https://www.ollegardens.com/?gad=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlv3rid3P_gIVVi-tBh0rbwOPEAAYAiAAEgLd2fD_BwE
Am really happy with the look and build quality.

I'd say it's 100% on how much you like gardening as to whether it's worth it.

If you're into gardening, I'd say for sure it's a nice way to go.

Also, to be fair, what you're talking about is quite a bit more than just raised beds. Lots of gardens have raised beds without the structure that goes with it. What you drew up looks great.

My wife and I have been talking about building a raised bed garden for a while but this year we finally priced it out and to make it look professional we come up with a cost of ~600 dollars. Over half of the cost would be to build a structure around it. We get birds in the summertime that destroy the tomatoes plus this would allow us to use plastic in the wintertime to keep a year round garden.

We have been enthusiastic about this project until we priced it out and now we are getting cold feet. We are now 50/50 on whether we will proceed or not.

Another option is I could probably build a net structure for 1/3 of the price, but it would not look as professional, would not be as functional, and would not let me double it as a wintertime greenhouse.

Crude plans:

The below piping is what I would use to build the greenhouse structure and I would paint it to prevent it from rusting.
I’ve only ever had old school roto tilled gardens, but this looks like it could save you some $$ on dirt?

I recently signed up for this email newsletter (free)

Also consider the quality of your soil - we have a ton of clay so our garden was crap until I built a raised bed. We didn't go quite as elaborate - just a single 3x24 raised bed with no cover- but the improved soil made all the difference in the world in what we get out of it.

Thanks everyone. I am going to think on it for another week. We do garden every year, but this is a big commitment.

I use 4x4 posts. They look great, easy to work with, Will last a long time and not incredibly expensive.
Pressure treated? I don't know jack about gardening but will pressure treated lumber leach chemicals into the soil?

It’s not pressure treated with the same stuff from the old days. It’s 100% safe.

Thanks. Do you have a link for that?

I use 4x4 posts. They look great, easy to work with, Will last a long time and not incredibly expensive.
Pressure treated? I don't know jack about gardening but will pressure treated lumber leach chemicals into the soil?

It’s not pressure treated with the same stuff from the old days. It’s 100% safe.

Thanks. It feels like there's a difference between declaring something, "100% safe." and a guy in a youtube video saying, "I'm not that worried about it."

Not only that, but they will twist. If you're going wood 4x4s, I'd do cedar.

They don’t twist and cedar doesn’t last very long.
Yes they do and yes it does.

I built a raised bed garden for the wife a few years back... Best investment ever. No more kneeling on the ground, very little weeds, easy to harvest. :thumbup:
We bought 2X8 foot boards and used these to connect them : https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oldcast...oncrete-Planter-Wall-Block-16202336/206501693

We lined the bottom 3rd with cut wood, branches and leaves. Great compost under the dirt, and saved money.. We just re-add dirt each year to fill it backup in the spring as the compost, composts.

Pic: https://snogslife.blogspot.com/2023/04/blog-post.html

Last edited:
Not only that, but they will twist. If you're going wood 4x4s, I'd do cedar.

They don’t twist and cedar doesn’t last very long.
Used 4x’s on my last raised bed. Worked great and still looked good after 5yrs (when I sold the house). Used pressure treated 1x8’s for the sides (fence wood).

Thanks. It feels like there's a difference between declaring something, "100% safe." and a guy in a youtube video saying, "I'm not that worried about it."
As I just posted, had pressure treated for 5 yrs. No issues at all. Realize it’s anecdotal, but it is first hand.

We lined the bottom 3rd with cut wood, branches and leaves. Great compost under the dirt, and saved money.. We just re-add dirt each year to fill it backup in the spring as the compost, composts.
This is a great option imo. We did the same this year.

Crude plans:

I’ve only ever had old school roto tilled gardens, but this looks like it could save you some $$ on dirt?

I recently signed up for this email newsletter (free)

I built a raised bed garden for the wife a few years back... Best investment ever. No more kneeling on the ground, very little weeds, easy to harvest. :thumbup:
We bought 2X8 foot boards and used these to connect them : https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oldcast...oncrete-Planter-Wall-Block-16202336/206501693

This is a great option imo. We did the same this year.

fwiw, this is why I posted this link , you just have to scroll to get there. Not because of the backyard bathtub

:oldunsure:

Thanks. I'd never seen the connecting pieces for the corners like that. That looks great. Did you like that method? Do they shift and move around when you stack them as the soil settles?

Last edited:

Also, I think it makes great sense to build them taller like this. If I read it right, you're making them almost 2 feet tall with 3 2x8's. That gives more room for the added soil and also makes it easier to access. And I love the compost idea on the bottom third.

As I just posted, had pressure treated for 5 yrs. No issues at all. Realize it’s anecdotal, but it is first hand.

I don't think people are worried about 5 years. I think people are worried about chemicals that have long-term effects over many years.

Granted, a ton of the produce in the grocery has lots of worries too.

But for lots of people, being free of pesticides or unnatural chemicals is an important part of why they want to have a garden of their own.

And for lots of them, those worries don't magically disappear because a youtuber says he's not that worried about it.

I've watched this family do a raised garden in a nice place this last year. The reason I mention it's a nice area is every other garden or whatever is adorned, for lack of a better word, with ornamental horticulture, more or less, to impress passers-by. Although if they enjoy that, then good for them.

However I will say, I am super impressed with what the raised bed garden folks got going on of late. It's thriving.

Looked like a weird project at first -- these raised beds surrounded by some type of metal while somewhat "unsightly" compared to the area -- but no, there plants are thriving and have many benefits I've learned. Good for them.

I don't think people are worried about 5 years. I think people are worried about chemicals that have long-term effects over many years.

But for lots of people, being free of pesticides or unnatural chemicals is an important part of why they want to have a garden of their own.

And for lots of them, those worries don't magically disappear because a youtuber says he's not that worried about it.
I would tend to agree with you. I shared the link because it had a good explanation of the current chemicals used are not what they used to be and are safer.

What about using composite decking material? Seems like a safe, long-term solution, but likely costly.

I have 3 2'x8' cedar beds. Local guy has a mill at his farm and makes them. I'll probably get more next year.

Also, from folks I have talked to if you have birds eating your tomatoes they are after bugs, not the tomatoes. I'm planting marigolds and nasturtium around my beds this year to control pest bugs and attract beneficial bugs. We'll see if that helps.

I would tend to agree with you. I shared the link because it had a good explanation of the current chemicals used are not what they used to be and are safer.

What about using composite decking material? Seems like a safe, long-term solution, but likely costly.

Agreed. The composite would be best but as you say, cost is a factor.

Any chemicals from ACQ will kill the plant way before there is any remote chance of the food being contaminated. And by potentially consuming some it's so small it's harmless.

You can Google epa, fda and gardening associations

Fair. But I was I was speaking to the gardens ability to produce and overall yield not the ingestion of chemicals. I honestly didn’t even think about the angle, likely due to exactly what you said, and it being incredibly difficult to avoid.

Composite is too flimsy.

I question the long term integrity of the 2xs. My first two beds I made using 2x12 and they have bowed a little. 4x4s looks so much better and aren’t moving.

Composite is too flimsy.

I question the long term integrity of the 2xs. My first two beds I made using 2x12 and they have bowed a little. 4x4s looks so much better and aren’t moving.
It's not too flimsy depending on how it is constructed and what thickness of material is used.

Thanks. I'd never seen the connecting pieces for the corners like that. That looks great. Did you like that method? Do they shift and move around when you stack them as the soil settles?
They have a hole in the middle. We drove a rebar bar through them to hold, which they have done very nicely :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread