What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

randall's ALS diary (2 Viewers)

BobbyLayne said:
GoFundMe for the Thompson Boys

ETA:

Olin Thompson III was diagnosed with ALS 4 years ago. In the early hours of the morning on July 18, Olin gracefully and lovingly left this world for one where he can swim and sing. Our hearts are breaking thinking about going on without him. So many of you have asked how to help the family; you can donate here for a college fund for his three boys. 
They’ve raised $13,548 (goal 20K) in the first 30 hours

Knowing a little bit of ALS, you kind of knew this day would come, but his courage and fight made you think that maybe he could beat it as you followed along his story.   Every time I saw this thread bumped I was worried that I'd be reading the news that we ultimately got this week.  Ugh.   What a brutal disease.  RIP. 

Didn't know this guy at all just read the last few pages here.   Rip.   Sounds like a great guy and will be missed.  

Never really interacted with him that I recall but I definitely admired him.  There is no doubt the world is a lesser place without his dignity and strength. 

i assume that olin had a hand in writing that obituary or at least i hope he did because that is how an obit is supposed to read and i wanted to say that the last two lines about hugging your loved ones and saying something positive are about the truest damn things ive ever read 

Was stunned to just realize that my son and O's boy will be facing off on the pitch this Friday night. Our family's are both heavy into youth soccer and futsal, but I'm not sure we ever got to face each other in a game. Damn, I wish he was here to see my boy pummel them. 😀 Just wanted to share that bit. Should be an emotional night for them as the season pretty much just began.

ETA:

Olin Thompson III was diagnosed with ALS 4 years ago. In the early hours of the morning on July 18, Olin gracefully and lovingly left this world for one where he can swim and sing. Our hearts are breaking thinking about going on without him. So many of you have asked how to help the family; you can donate here for a college fund for his three boys.
Bumping this as it appears to still be open and a way we can help our buddy and his family.

So sorry Flop. I didn’t know it was prominent among people in their 70’s/80’s. Seemed to be diagnosed more with those in their 40’s and 50’s. What a brutal disease. One of the ones I wouldn’t want to stick around for.

ETA:

Bumping this as it appears to still be open and a way we can help our buddy and his family.

Does that mean they need to get the last $3,500 in order to even be awarded the whole $30k?

thank you all... this ****ing sucks.

I'm flying out in 2 weeks and again a month later with the family.
hfs. this disease is just ****ing awful.

the first trip I made- my mom was visibly weak and diminished. needed a cane and my arm to get around slowly (vs bounding over mountains, 2x hiking, 2x jogging per week). doctor had diagnosed it as slow-moving at the time, which we counted as a blessing for an 88yo woman who had already had a great life.

we just got back from the 2nd trip- 1 month after the first. :(

she has to use a walker, needs help sitting or standing and can barely talk. I did my best to put on a happy, supportive face while there... taking care of what I could for her (we got her a power lift chair) since my brother is close by and is taking care of eeveryting. but every time it's quiet and I have a moment to think... it's just ****ing awful. sleeping has been terrible too.

ETA:

Does that mean they need to get the last $3,500 in order to even be awarded the whole $30k?

thank you all... this ****ing sucks.

I'm flying out in 2 weeks and again a month later with the family.
hfs. this disease is just ****ing awful.

the first trip I made- my mom was visibly weak and diminished. needed a cane and my arm to get around slowly (vs bounding over mountains, 2x hiking, 2x jogging per week). doctor had diagnosed it as slow-moving at the time, which we counted as a blessing for an 88yo woman who had already had a great life.

we just got back from the 2nd trip- 1 month after the first. :(

she has to use a walker, needs help sitting or standing and can barely talk. I did my best to put on a happy, supportive face while there... taking care of what I could for her (we got her a power lift chair) since my brother is close by and is taking care of eeveryting. but every time it's quiet and I have a moment to think... it's just ****ing awful. sleeping has been terrible too.
So sorry to hear this…

just got off the phone with my 88yo mom. she has ALS.

:cry:

Went through the same experience with my Mom 6 years ago as I mentioned earlier in this thread. My advice is to spend as much time with your mom as possible without compromising the other important things in your life. It can go by very fast.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

If there is a worse/random disease, I don't know of one.

Went through the same experience with my Mom 6 years ago as I mentioned earlier in this thread. My advice is to spend as much time with your mom as possible without compromising the other important things in your life. It can go by very fast.

ALS is horrible. Terrible. Crushing.

Huntington's also really bad. Life expectancy is longer with HD, but it has the bonus of being hereditary so patents and their families have to worry about passing it on.

Hey Flop, lost an uncle (30s) and a grandfather (uncle's father, in his 70s) to this -- really sorry to hear that your mom's case is moving fast. It's a ****ty disease.

ALS is horrible. Terrible. Crushing.

Huntington's also really bad. Life expectancy is longer with HD, but it has the bonus of being hereditary so patents and their families have to worry about passing it on.

Years ago my cousin married a guy who ended up having this. Military vet that had to go in to a home in his 30’s. They had three boys together and got the devastating news that the middle son had it too. She’s now had to bury them both - horrible disease.

T&Ps to you, your Mom and the rest of your family Flop.

Users who are viewing this thread