What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ray Rice APPEALS suspension (1 Viewer)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ray Rice already looked used up? Even if by some miracle he becomes eligible to play again this season, who is he supposed to beat out on the field? He doesn't have it anymore. Ray Rice has become fantasy insignificant just as much by his lack of ability on the football field as he does with the off the field transgressions.
I'll correct you. There's a very good chance he isn't used up. While camp reports should be taken with a grain of salt, he was looking much better than last season and many were looking for him to be a sleeper pick this season before the TMZ blowup. No one looked good running for the Ravens last season (or this season) and a new team and a chip on his shoulder could rejuvenate him (if he ever gets the chance).

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ray Rice already looked used up? Even if by some miracle he becomes eligible to play again this season, who is he supposed to beat out on the field? He doesn't have it anymore. Ray Rice has become fantasy insignificant just as much by his lack of ability on the football field as he does with the off the field transgressions.
Maybe just before he popped her, his wife said "Man, your 3.1 YPC last year really sucked."

I'll correct you. There's a very good chance he isn't used up. While camp reports should be taken with a grain of salt, he was looking much better than last season and many were looking for him to be a sleeper pick this season before the TMZ blowup. No one looked good running for the Ravens last season (or this season) and a new team and a chip on his shoulder could rejuvenate him (if he ever gets the chance).
I'm not so sure about that. He didn't look like he had anything left in the tank.

Let's be honest though, no one is going to sign him this soon after the whole fiasco. Even if your RB corps are in shambles the negative publicity wouldn't be worth it.

I'm not so sure about that. He didn't look like he had anything left in the tank.
I hope we have the chance to find out.

Yep, no team will touch him. Vick had a tough road to travel, Rice.....foget 'about it
Someone will.
Why would they? He looks more used up than Al Swearengen's employees at the GEM Theater (see Deadwood series). I doubt the reward outweighs the backlash they would receive taking a chance on a used up RB with this hanging over his head. It makes no sense from an NFL business perspective. He's done. There are plenty of RBs out there that are currently better than Ray Rice.

Holy crap, what if the Vikings picked him up after a successful appeal? Thit #### storm that would be.

Once the Ravens cut Rice, he was no longer considered a player in the NFL...hence, the NFL didn't have to follow any of their agreements with NFLPA.

Obviously, this sure smells funny...and while this is just my opinion (no proof), I've been under the impression since the video came out that the the NFL and Ravens conspired to try and make this problem go away.
I believe the NFL added punishment before the official Ravens release.
Nope. Cut then punished. Otherwise, this "indefinite suspension" would never fly...

Once the Ravens cut Rice, he was no longer considered a player in the NFL...hence, the NFL didn't have to follow any of their agreements with NFLPA.
Under that logic, all free agents would be exempt from penalty for drug offenses or violation of personal conduct policy. Same would.apply to unsigned draft picks. I don't think the NFL is looking to open that two-way street.

Obviously, this sure smells funny...and while this is just my opinion (no proof), I've been under the impression since the video came out that the the NFL and Ravens conspired to try and make this problem go away.
I believe the NFL added punishment before the official Ravens release.
Nope. Cut then punished. Otherwise, this "indefinite suspension" would never fly...
You're wrong on this. If he wasn't subject to the CBA how could he appeal the suspension?

I don't blame Rice for doing this. And I love how uncomfortable it's going to make the NFL and Goodell in particular defend their apparent double-punishment. What will come out of this is, hopefully, a long slow public process in which both Goodell and Rice look terrible. As they should.

I doubt an appeal is even heard til that FBI guy finishes the investigation.

I applaud Goodell for being the only one to stand up to this thug.

The criminal justice system let him off and the woman married him.

I can't make sense, never have been, as to why women stay with wife beaters and that's just a horribly ugly set of circumstances. I do think, though, if there is a hearing and the wife testifies on Rice's behalf it'll hold a ton of weight and he'll be able to play at some point. We are all here in some regard, to some degree, looking out for her best interests and when she takes that away by claiming Rice is some great guy or somesuch....it pretty much leaves no one with a leg to stand on.

Yep, no team will touch him. Vick had a tough road to travel, Rice.....foget 'about it
Someone will.
Why would they? He looks more used up than Al Swearengen's employees at the GEM Theater (see Deadwood series). I doubt the reward outweighs the backlash they would receive taking a chance on a used up RB with this hanging over his head. It makes no sense from an NFL business perspective. He's done.
Part of the power of the NFL is that the league/owners/front office/players union could all just agree that professional football is not the forum in which to address personal or societal issues of the negative nature. If they did that and didn't decide to try and be a moral standard and instead concentrated on playing football....noone would care. The problem that they've run into is that they've tried to (in a very ticky tack way) set moral standards to their workplace. To that, a team could/would pick up Ray Rice and although they'd take a PR hit....their bottom line wouldn't be hurt one bit.

Someone will.
Why would they? He looks more used up than Al Swearengen's employees at the GEM Theater (see Deadwood series). I doubt the reward outweighs the backlash they would receive taking a chance on a used up RB with this hanging over his head. It makes no sense from an NFL business perspective. He's done.
Part of the power of the NFL is that the league/owners/front office/players union could all just agree that professional football is not the forum in which to address personal or societal issues of the negative nature. If they did that and didn't decide to try and be a moral standard and instead concentrated on playing football....noone would care. The problem that they've run into is that they've tried to (in a very ticky tack way) set moral standards to their workplace. To that, a team could/would pick up Ray Rice and although they'd take a PR hit....their bottom line wouldn't be hurt one bit.
Again, why would they pick up a player with his baggage when he isn't very good anymore and there are plenty of RBs out there better than he is right now.

I don't blame Rice for doing this. And I love how uncomfortable it's going to make the NFL and Goodell in particular defend their apparent double-punishment. What will come out of this is, hopefully, a long slow public process in which both Goodell and Rice look terrible. As they should.
It's a really tough spot. From a moral standpoint, I think he should get more than two games. But how are you gonna give someone two games, then change your policy to six, then suspend indefinitely. The NFL's suspension policy is so broken.

wdcrob said:
Considering that the NFLPA is representing Rice I'd hazard a guess it's not quite that clear cut Bill. Also... the sequence was...

--2 game suspension

--Video comes out

--Cut

--Indefinite suspension

Having already punished him Goodell probably overstepped in making it indefinite -- especially if Rice told the truth and the only reason the NFL 'didn't know' what was on the video was that they elected not to view it when it was made available.

You can't punish someone twice for the same offense.
In court of law. Let's not be so confused to think this is the same thing.

Someone will.
Again, why would they pick up a player with his baggage when he isn't very good anymore and there are plenty of RBs out there better than he is right now.
I think you're in the minority in regards to his abilities...particularly if we're only looking at last year. BAL's O line was decimated. Pitta and Dickson were hurt. Boldin had left. The team as a whole could have been suffering from a Super Bowl let down. By most accounts....he looked good in the pre-season. While I don't think he's quite the Ray Rice of his peak years....I think if a team got him on a league minimum or cheap salary.....he'd be a great value and make a significant contribution.

wdcrob said:
Considering that the NFLPA is representing Rice I'd hazard a guess it's not quite that clear cut Bill. Also... the sequence was...

--2 game suspension

--Video comes out

--Cut

--Indefinite suspension

Having already punished him Goodell probably overstepped in making it indefinite -- especially if Rice told the truth and the only reason the NFL 'didn't know' what was on the video was that they elected not to view it when it was made available.

Posted above that it's covered in the CBA too (or did I misread?).

wdcrob said:

--2 game suspension

--Video comes out

--Cut

--Indefinite suspension

What he said.

wdcrob said:

--2 game suspension

--Video comes out

--Cut

--Indefinite suspension

He was incorrect. The clause he used to support his position says nothing about the commish changing his mind and making a penalty more excessive.

wdcrob said:

--2 game suspension

--Video comes out

--Cut

--Indefinite suspension

I don't think you misread it. I just think you're misconstruing a release by the club as punishment.

The NFL should just own this decision for what it is, and take their cue directly from The Onion: "NFL Announces New Zero-Tolerance Policy on Videotaped Domestic Violence"

Someone will.
I think you're in the minority in regards to his abilities...particularly if we're only looking at last year. BAL's O line was decimated. Pitta and Dickson were hurt. Boldin had left. The team as a whole could have been suffering from a Super Bowl let down. By most accounts....he looked good in the pre-season. While I don't think he's quite the Ray Rice of his peak years....I think if a team got him on a league minimum or cheap salary.....he'd be a great value and make a significant contribution.
The whole point you are missing is that football is not about winning games in a vacuum. It's a Billion dollar business. A team would risk losing some fans and advertisers permanently and Rice isn't good enough for any team to go through that.

Someone will.
The whole point you are missing is that football is not about winning games in a vacuum. It's a Billion dollar business. A team would risk losing some fans and advertisers permanently and Rice isn't good enough for any team to go through that.
What would happen to the Ravens salary cap wise if Rice was signed to another team?

Someone will.
This...and maybe most importantly Rice had a hip flexor injury early last year that hampered him for the entire year. I think its going to take some time for this to simmer down before Rice gets signed, but the last reason for it to take awhile is because he's washed up like JohnnyU keeps saying.

I don't think you misread it. I just think you're misconstruing a release by the club as punishment.
Oh, nope. 2 game suspension followed by an indefinite suspension for the same infraction. Ravens have nothing to do with it.
What is the verbiage of the CBA that's violated here? I saw something posted about the league and club not levying punishment for the same offense.

I really can't help but figure the league office got involved with Greg Hardy today. There was only one reason for Carolina to deactivate him and it has everything to do with the buffoonery of the "NFL Shield".

Also, I think Rice is just going through the process so they can uphold it and he can take it to court to get compensation for lost wages, which I think he will win easily.

NFLPA doesn't care about media persona, they have to fight for each player so it doesn't set a precedence in the future.

I don't see how he doesn't beat it in his sleep.... and if Peterson gets activated and Rice enters sensitivity training for two weeks, you may see him before November

Someone will.
I'm not missing any point. It's a billion dollar business that has seen a slew of wrong doings from players who have been allowed to come back and play after they've served their suspensions. It's kept on going and it will keep on going and the people will still watch.

dschuler said:
Ray Rice might file a grievance against the Ravens for firing him? What?
Yeah, good luck to him with that. That said, it'll give him something to do in his free time.
I just can't remember anyone else doing this when they got cut for something like this.
Me neither. The only one who benefits here are the attorneys. If he files against the NFL, he has at least a remote chance of a positive outcome. But, the Ravens? For releasing him? Comical if he actually goes through with it.

Users who are viewing this thread