What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ray Rice tweets that he gave cop an autograph, and cop let him go (1 Viewer)

Sammy Traveller

Footballguy
Link from PFT

Link to original story on Charm City

Ray Rice avoids ticket with autograph

Posted by Mike Florio on November 9, 2010 7:22 AM ET

On Monday, Ravens running back Ray Rice posted on Twitter that he had been pulled over by a police officer due to the tinting of the windows in his vehicle.

Rice explained that he didn't get a ticket after giving the officer an autograph for his son.

The tweet has since been deleted by Rice, but the image has been captured by the folks at InsideCharmCity.com.

We don't know whether this rises to the level of offering or accepting a bribe, but something prompted Rice to think better of bragging about it.
At the least, poor judgment on tweeting it. At the worst, a fine or a suspension for bribing a law enforcement officer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let it go. Rice could just say haha I was just bragging, but in reality the cop was only giving me a warning anyway and we got to talking, etc etc etc.

But tweeting about it was pretty stupid. I hope the cop doesn't get in trouble for it.

Why do people make such a big deal over nothing? I have been pulled over about 12 times in my life for tint on my windows... and I was never once given a ticket for it. They always let you off with a warning.

Let it go. Rice could just say haha I was just bragging, but in reality the cop was only giving me a warning anyway and we got to talking, etc etc etc.But tweeting about it was pretty stupid. I hope the cop doesn't get in trouble for it.
Right.

The officer, if anyone, is the one who will have to deal with the percussions.
:cymbal crash:
:popcorn: But I agree that the officer is probably more at risk of being in trouble, more so than Rice.

I think it would be hard to prove unless they have audio of the conversation.

Officers choose to let people go without tickets all the time. And I'm sure they get autographs of stars too.

Rice should not have tweeted about it though. Stoopid.

What, Ray Rice has tinted windows AND gave an officer an autograph. This sounds like something Goodell needs to put a stop to!!!!

$50K fine and 2-4 game suspension!

Attention athletes (and everyone else)...you don't need to tweet about everything that happens in your life.

If Rice tweeted "I offered the cop to let me go with a warning in exchange for an autograph, and he took it", then there would be something to talk about. All he said is he gave the officer an autograph and he didn't get a ticket. He didn't talk about any bribe or whether that even had an effect on whether he would get a ticket or not.

Why do people make such a big deal over nothing? I have been pulled over about 12 times in my life for tint on my windows... and I was never once given a ticket for it. They always let you off with a warning.
Since nobody seems to even be acknowledging this post, I will just quote it again.He was probably pulled over for the windows, in the hope that they could catch him for something bigger. In the absence of something bigger, a warning is the usual result of a traffic stop of this degree.Tweeting about it was definitely not the smartest move, but nothing to see here...

At the least, poor judgment on tweeting it. At the worst, a fine or a suspension for bribing a law enforcement officer.
Just because Rice gave the officer an autograph doesn't mean there was a bribe.
Exactly. It depends on how it happened. What if the Officer said, Sir, your car tinting is a violation. Fix it and I am giving you a warning." Rice says" Thank you officer. I will." Officer sees his ID and says, "Ray Rice! My son is a big fan." Rice says, "No kidding. How would you like an autograph for your son?" Officer: "That would be great."That would not be a bribe.But, if it went like this, it would be trouble. Officer: "Sir, your car tinting is a violation. I am going to have to write you a ticket." Rice: "Gee, that really sucks." Officer, looking at his id: "I see you play for the Ravens. My son is a big fan." Rice: "No kidding! How about I write an autograph for him and we call it even?" That would be a bribe.Why this story won't go far? Because the only two people who could actually clarify if it is a bribe or not are the two people implicated. They are unlikely to do so. People are cited for bribes at the time they happen or they are not cited at all. It isn't clear from Rice's tweet exactly how it went down. The league could investigate but unless Rice implicates himself, nothing will happen.

What country is this? the fact that tinting windows is punishable in anyway sickens me. I thought we were a free country.

Heaven for bid we have privacy in a vehicle, and that no one can see in....holy cow rice is a criminal.

The thread, his tweet, and the fact he got pulled over at all...rediculous

What country is this? the fact that tinting windows is punishable in anyway sickens me. I thought we were a free country.

Heaven for bid we have privacy in a vehicle, and that no one can see in....holy cow rice is a criminal.

The thread, his tweet, and the fact he got pulled over at all...rediculous
:fishing:

Ray Rice tells his side of the story.

Ray Rice says he offered autograph after receiving warning from officer

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Baltimore Ravens Pro Bowl running back Ray Rice said he was given a warning by a police officer Monday night for the tinting on his car windows, but emphasized that he only offered the officer an autograph after being issued a warning.

Rice, who deleted a comment from his Twitter account that made it sound like he got out of the ticket because of the autograph, said he wasn't granted any special treatment because of his status as an NFL player.

"I want to address something, yesterday I was pulling into a parking lot and I did get pulled over by a police officer for my tints," Rice said. "I didn't realize they were illegal until he pulled me over. He gave me a warning and told me to get it fixed. I didn't have anything outstanding or anything wrong with my plates.

"As I was going in to buy the new 'Call of Duty' in the store, the cop said his son is a big fan. I took it upon myself to offer him an autograph to his son. That was after the warning. Bad decision by me wording it on Twitter, which I wasn't trying to get any fair justice or anything. I did get a warning and I must get my tints fixed because they are pretty dark. I don't want to make it seem like I'm getting any fair treatment by an officer who was doing his job. "

Rice deleted the following tweet from his Twitter account last night: "Just got pulled over for my tints. Smh, but gave the officer an autograph for his son and he let me go."
From National Football Postcarry on, guys.

ETA: Thread sub-title changed.

What country is this? the fact that tinting windows is punishable in anyway sickens me. I thought we were a free country.Heaven for bid we have privacy in a vehicle, and that no one can see in....holy cow rice is a criminal.The thread, his tweet, and the fact he got pulled over at all...rediculous
you're allowed to tint the rear windows as dark as 5% light allowed (limo tint), which is dark as hell at night. you can only tint the front windows i think at 50% light allowed due to night driving visibility. I'm sure Rice had his front windows too dark.

I don't know how it actually went down.

But I think Rice's first tweet definitely made it sound like a little quid pro quo happened. His wording indicates he offered an autograph and then he got a warning, in that order. People don't typically say "I ate a sandwich and made it" or "I went home and got off work" or "I fell asleep and climbed into bed". If we are referring to multiple details in an event or chain of events, we tend to tell it in a chronological or causal order.

Whether that's what actually happened or whether he was just trying to brag about his own celebrity status by making it look like that's what happened, who knows.

Cop who got Ray Rice's autograph in hot water

Cop who got Ray Rice’s autograph in hot water

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 19, 2010, 9:15 AM EST

An autograph — and a tweet — from Ray Rice may end up getting a Baltimore police officer in trouble.

We noted last week that Rice, the Ravens’ running back, tweeted that he had given an autograph to a cop who pulled him over, and that the cop let him go without a ticket. Rice later claimed that he only gave the autograph to the officer after the officer had already decided to let him go with a warning.

But Baltimore County Police Chief James W. Johnson told the Baltimore Sun on Thursday that he would not rule out disciplinary action for the officer even though internal affairs detectives recommended the officer be cleared.

Johnson said he has ethics experts from universities advising him on the issue, and he wants to think carefully about whether this is no big deal, or whether it exposes a serious problem with celebrities getting special treatment.

“This is not a closed matter,” Johnson said. “This is one of those cases that we need to step back on and slowly deliberate.”

Although this seems rather trivial in the grand scheme of things that the police in Baltimore need to be concerned with (at least from what I know by watching The Wire), Johnson deserves credit for dealing publicly with an incident that it would have been easy to sweep under the rug.

Users who are viewing this thread