What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Austin Ekeler, WAS (1 Viewer)

Asking for a friend...if you had to set a lineup tonight because you are going backpacking for the weekend and can't get online or even a phone signal, would you play Akers or Spears in Ekelers' place? :lmao:

Thought I was in good shape after the draft with RBs Barkley, Ekeler, Dobbins, Akers, Spears :crying:

Asking for a friend...if you had to set a lineup tonight because you are going backpacking for the weekend and can't get online or even a phone signal, would you play Akers or Spears in Ekelers' place? :lmao:

Thought I was in good shape after the draft with RBs Barkley, Ekeler, Dobbins, Akers, Spears :crying:
Tell your friend to just pick one and enjoy the weekend. They both sound like if meh were a thing it would be those two. I like the look of Spears IF he can get the carries.

Tell your friend to just pick one and enjoy the weekend. They both sound like if meh were a thing it would be those two. I like the look of Spears IF he can get the carries.
Akers

Serious Q.... does being ruled out today imply anything? Is the injury worse than expected, or does it mean nothing?

Serious Q.... does being ruled out today imply anything? Is the injury worse than expected, or does it mean nothing?
I'd say it means nothing. It'd have meant something if we'd heard something much sooner, I think, but not being ruled out until Saturday, usually means the player isn't far off.

At the moment there is no reason to think this isn't just a 1-week injury, though that also can't 100% be taken for granted.

I feel like the difference between Saturday and sunday morning is probably meaningless. With something like a sprain, I think it is largely day to day.

I am not a doctor but I have seen one on tv

I think they already decided he wasn't going to travel with the team, so may as well mark him as Out. Obviously if he traveled with the team it would be a good sign that he is close or might play though.

Also, given the untimely death of his agent/friend, I’m starting to wonder if he would have played regardless. He was reportedly pretty distraught.

Well Kelley was at least shown to be what he is - hand cuff and change of pace. I expect Ekeler to get the lions share once he is 100%....which may take a few weeks.

Chargers HC Brandon Staley told reporters there is “no timeline” for Austin Ekeler’s return from his ankle injury.

Well, that went from bad to worse real quickly. Expect Joshua Kelley to continue serving as the team’s lead back in his absence, after Kelley played a massive 79 percent of the team’s offensive snaps in Week 2. Fantasy managers that sunk first-round capital into the veteran back have to be struggling to fill the void left behind.

Back after the bye?
I wonder if what happened to Chubb tonight plays a part in what RB’s that are unhappy with their contracts do in regards to what injuries they are willing to play through this season. (I want to make clear that I’m not trying to imply that Ekeler is magnifying, exaggerating, or fabricating an injury).

Austin Ekeler (ankle) did not practice Wednesday.
Ekeler went down with the ankle injury near the end of LA’s Week 1 loss to the Dolphins. He missed all three of the team’s practices the following week before being ruled out for Week 2. We appear to be headed for Ekeler’s second missed game. Chargers head coach Brandon Staley told reporters earlier this week there is “no timeline” for Ekeler’s return. Joshua Kelley rushed 13 times for 39 yards as the starter in Week 2. He played on 79 percent of the Chargers’ snaps. That role puts him in the high-end RB2 ranks heading into Week 3 versus the Vikings.

Speaking on his podcast Ekeler’s Edge, Austin Ekeler said, “I like the progress I’ve made so far,” regarding his ankle injury.

Ekeler missed all of practiced last week and was sidelined again to start this week. On his podcast, Ekeler said his injury is a “day-to-day, week to week type of situation,” and that he hopes to be back “sooner than later.” It’s not exactly an optimistic quote from Ekeler as far as his Week 3 status is concerned, but it doesn’t sound like he plans on missing much more time. The Chargers didn’t place Ekeler on injured reserve, which is a signal the team expects him back in no more than four weeks. We’ll see if he gets on the field before the weekend, but if he doesn’t, Joshua Kelley will be the lead back against the Vikings.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reports Austin Ekeler (ankle) is not expected to practice today.
After missing practice on Wednesday and Thursday as well, it’s safe to rule out Ekeler for Week 3 against the Vikings. Ekeler said earlier this week his injury was a “day-to-day, week-to-week type of situation.” It sounds like a Week 4 return is up in the air as well. With the Chargers’ passing game capable of carrying the load on offense until Ekeler returns, the need for LA to rush him back is low. Joshua Kelley will start versus a weak Minnesota run defense. After seeing the bulk of the work in Week 2, he will project for high-end RB2 numbers this week.

I keep seeing week 6.

I don’t believe that. If that were the case why not just use the IR?

I believe him when he said week to week. A standard sprained ankle is 2-4.

I’d put it at 60% chance he plays next week.

I keep seeing week 6.

Because they have a bye week 5
Yes I am aware of their week 5 BYE.

But they didn’t put him on IR. So that usually means they expect the player back before 4 weeks.

I keep seeing week 6.

But they didn’t put him on IR. So that usually means they expect the player back before 4 weeks.
Does IR count the bye week?

I keep seeing week 6.

Does IR count the bye week?

It does not

Not going so well this year with this cat
Sprained contract?
Yeah, I think there is maybe at most a 1% chance that's the case. Unless Ekeler is a moron, and I don't think he is. It would make zero logical sense to essentially give yourself an injury prone label, when you are looking for a new contract. the more time he misses, the less appealing he looks as a signing.

Its a marathon, not a sprint. Frankly, Ekeler is has better ROI than many of the guys who were drafted around him have. Would you rather have Chase? Chubb? Barkley? Kupp? Wilson? Jacobs?

I think Ekeler will be the same elite player he's been when he comes back, likely in week 6, with maybe a 25% chance of week 4. Sucks that he got hurt, but if we were drafting from scratch right now, I think he's still a 1st round pick. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he's no later than 4th and maybe as high as 2nd. Its inconvenient, but its probably a good thing, that he's not rushing it.

he's sitting till end of the bye week. Juicy matchups for Kelley for the next few weeks. Fantasy Drs were all over this. it wasn't a 1 week deal, it is a multi week thingy, and the bye week so early in the season doesn't help it just means they keep him out until that's over. here's the rub tho..ekeler is being very coy about the injury news same with the SD, err, LA front office. something's fishy here. Like the Chief chumming the waters off the back of the Orca in Jaws..this feels like a HAS 4-6 recovery and high probability of re-injury and definite performance hindrance. I've rolled ankles in basketball many times , once grabbing a rebound I hit a players foot and rolled externally right off it. heard a snap. drove home as fast as I could, stopped at a 7-11 to get ice and put it on my right ankle the whole way home ( 1.5 hours from Belmar to wanaque nj). I could not walk on it for 4 weeks. couldn't even look at it lol. could barely walk after 6 weeks. still felt pain over a year later when I would step off a curb, or walking down a flight of stairs. this was 1999 still to this day i have an enormously swollen right ankle from this incident. is he in a boot? it's not the idea that he has a sprained ankle, it's the Go-Go's 'our lips are sealed' thing that Ekeler and the Chargers are using here that is the real problem.

I keep seeing week 6.

If they put him on IR after game 1, he has to miss games 2-5 at minimum. With their bye week in week 5, that would have meant he couldn't come back until week 7. By not doing it, he can come back in week 4 (unlikely IMO) or week 6 (likely IMO). They play Dallas at home in week 6. They will probably lose that game, regardless, but need Ekeler to have any chance of winning.

They need 5-7 inactive players every week, regardless. They can elevate 1-2 practice squad players each week. What is the big motivation to clear a roster spot by putting him on IR for 4 games? That also slightly increases cap spending, by paying whoever they would sign to the active roster at the NFL level instead of at the practice squad level for 5 weeks. Not a big difference, but not zero.

Last edited:
Its a marathon, not a sprint. Frankly, Ekeler is has better ROI than many of the guys who were drafted around him have. Would you rather have Chase? Chubb? Barkley? Kupp? Wilson? Jacobs?

I passed on Ekeler to draft Hill at 1.5 in my only redraft league. Pretty happy about it. In that Superflex league, here is where the players you identified were drafted:

1.4 Chase
1.6 Ekeler
2.3 Chubb
2.4 Barkley
3.3 Kupp
3.4 Jacobs
3.6 Garrett Wilson

Obviously, Ekeler is a better bet now than Chubb for the overall season. But you didn't really throw out an apples to apples comparison on draft capital, at least not universally.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread