What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (1 Viewer)

Pretty good explanation based on info out there.

He broke the injury seal again. Not great! I was bitter the last few years he remained injury free after owning him during the injured years. A bummer he’s hurt

49ers HC Kyle Shanahan said Christian McCaffrey had an MRI on Monday to assess the severity of an oblique injury he suffered in Week 6 against the Browns.

The 49ers and fantasy community alike are holding their breath as they anxiously await more details on McCaffrey’s injury. CMC permanently exited Sunday’s contest in the fourth quarter after trying to play through the injury and is now undergoing an MRI to determine the exact severity of his injury. Fantasy managers looking for a replacement to their coveted RB1 could be eyeing Jordan Mason on waivers if McCaffrey is unable to go, but we’ll hopefully know more on his status soon. McCaffrey will have an extra day to recover with the 49ers not playing until next Monday night against the Vikings.

With a week 9 bye week, and games against Minnesota and Cincinnati (so non division games) I do wonder if they could choose to rest CMC through the bye.

With a week 9 bye week, and games against Minnesota and Cincinnati (so non division games) I do wonder if they could choose to rest CMC through the bye.
Wouldn't surprise me. Unless it's a real minor strain (or whatever we're calling it), I could see them just relying on the defense and a RBBC with Mason and Mitchell and let CMC fully heal for the stretch run.

49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan said Christian McCaffrey (oblique) “hopefully” will play in Week 7 against the Vikings.
McCaffrey was knocked out of Week 6’s loss to the Browns after taking a shot to the ribs. He re-entered the game but quickly exited again after one carry. Jordan Mason led the Niners backfield with five rushes for 27 yards and a touchdown, and has operated as the team’s No. 2 back for much of the early season. Shanahan said Elijah Mitchell, who saw two carries against Cleveland after McCaffrey’s exit, was limited because he had only one day of practice last week. The 49ers backfield would probably be a frustrating split between Mitchell and Jordan should CMC miss time.

I want to make sure i understand because I see a lot of these posts and I have a different POV
These players are paid a lot of money and CMC also required draft capital.
To "choose" rest thru the bye week, these aren't colds/flu type things where we just quarantine for 2 weeks just to be safe.
I'm pointing out in recent years the public has been programmed to just play it safe and stay home, we all do it since restaurants are down like 50% in customers these days

If there is any way CMC can suit up, they're going to do it. I don't think San Fran is nearly as effective without CMC as their starting RB and relying on Purdy to shoulder the load.
Anyone who thinks Jordan Mason will replicate the same numbers is fooling themselves and I am not saying you specifically Trav, i just notice this trend where FF'ers start looking for the Bye weeks where they feel comfortable the player will return. I don't really hear this line of thinking much form Head Coaches, just wondering where and how we got to this point.

Just a growing trend I see lately. I also see a lot of internet doctors weighing in on FF, sometimes thru Youtube.
Thanks Trav

I think the rest through the bye calculation depends on 1) whether the injury could potentially be exacerbated if he plays through it, and 2) how much the rest would help the injury.

If playing increases his risk of the injury (and potentially knocks him out past the bye), or if the extra rest would bring him from a hypothetical 70% capacity to 90% for future games, it's worth the Niners considering resting him even if he could suit up in a diminished capacity:

Scenario 1: Plays at 70% and aggravates injury. Out for extended period of time.
Scenario 2: Plays at 70% for rest of season (barring unrelated injury).
Scenario 3: Misses two games, comes back after bye at 90% for rest of season (barring unrelated injury).

They might also consider whether they think they can beat MN/CIN without him (or feel their record gives them the luxury to gamble), but I would think they want to put themselves in the best position to win as many games as possible (which resting CMC may do, see points 1 and 2).

I want to make sure i understand because I see a lot of these posts and I have a different POV
These players are paid a lot of money and CMC also required draft capital.
To "choose" rest thru the bye week, these aren't colds/flu type things where we just quarantine for 2 weeks just to be safe.
I'm pointing out in recent years the public has been programmed to just play it safe and stay home, we all do it since restaurants are down like 50% in customers these days

If there is any way CMC can suit up, they're going to do it. I don't think San Fran is nearly as effective without CMC as their starting RB and relying on Purdy to shoulder the load.
Anyone who thinks Jordan Mason will replicate the same numbers is fooling themselves and I am not saying you specifically Trav, i just notice this trend where FF'ers start looking for the Bye weeks where they feel comfortable the player will return. I don't really hear this line of thinking much form Head Coaches, just wondering where and how we got to this point.

Just a growing trend I see lately. I also see a lot of internet doctors weighing in on FF, sometimes thru Youtube.
Thanks Trav
For sure, I agree that the offense is certainly going to be less effective without CMC than with him. I do want to be clear that I wasn't reporting anything, just positing the idea that sitting could be a possibility.

I think at least with someone like CMC, the logic is that SF is a playoff team, with or without him, so if he is hurt, they are better off long-term saving him for more important games. That may not be how Shanahan feel , it certainly isn't how CMC feels, but it might be how the medical staff feels. That's the rub, is we are often stuck trying to interpret many different points of view.

I’ll be that guy…while Mason is no CMC as a pass-catcher, my eyeballs tell me he’s his equal on the ground (albeit in limited touches). Mason just does it differently.

I’d bet good money Mason would be a top-5 FF RB as the 9ers lead back. He’s a load at 223 with very good natural running skills. Mitchell simply isn’t as good as Mason.

What a steal as a UDFA.

I’ll be that guy…while Mason is no CMC as a pass-catcher, my eyeballs tell me he’s his equal on the ground (albeit in limited touches). Mason just does it differently.

I’d bet good money Mason would be a top-5 FF RB as the 9ers lead back. He’s a load at 223 with very good natural running skills. Mitchell simply isn’t as good as Mason.

What a steal as a UDFA.
Mason looks really good, but I would be shocked if he got anywhere near the snap counts CMC was getting. Mitchell will eat into too many carries for mason to be top-5, IMHO. It is a completely different game when defenses game plan for you as a starting running back, as opposed to an off-the-bench guy.

What a steal as a UDFA.
Mason looks really good, but I would be shocked if he got anywhere near the snap counts CMC was getting. Mitchell will eat into too many carries for mason to be top-5, IMHO. It is a completely different game when defenses game plan for you as a starting running back, as opposed to an off-the-bench guy.
There’s not a lot of scheming you can do with a guy like Mason given their other weapons.

My evaluation is based on limited touches, but Mason looks like the real deal in that offense. I wonder what kind of pass-catching chops he’s got?

while Mason is no CMC as a pass-catcher, my eyeballs tell me he’s his equal on the ground
Mason is a bruiser, he doesn't have CMCs shiftiness, vision, or football IQ. He may be a decent replacement, but he's nowhere near CMCs equal in pretty much any category.
I didn’t say he’s his equal as a RB (because of the pass-catching), but Mason is a tougher runner & would very likely have higher yards-after-contact than CMC over the long-haul. Mason has good vision, too.

He’s also not at his peak as a runner which isn’t the case with CMC. If Mason keeps looking good, CMC’s ground touches will absolutely be lessoned (& for good reason).

I’m confident there would be very little difference in their ground game as far as production (albeit, with different styles). That said, while Mason has a ton of headroom still left, we’ll see how much of it comes to fruition.

Last edited:
while Mason is no CMC as a pass-catcher, my eyeballs tell me he’s his equal on the ground
Mason is a bruiser, he doesn't have CMCs shiftiness, vision, or football IQ. He may be a decent replacement, but he's nowhere near CMCs equal in pretty much any category.
I didn’t say he’s his equal (because of the pass-catching), but Mason is a tougher runner & would very likely have higher yards-after-contact than CMC over the long haul.

I’m confident there would be very little difference in their ground game as far as production (albeit, with different styles). That said, while Mason has a ton of headroom still left, we’ll see what he does with it.

I hope you're right, but I just don't see Mason having the same production on the ground as CMC. Mainly because he won't be the featured back like CMC was. It's gonna be way closer to a 50/50 split with Mitchell than it has been between CMC and everyone else IMO.

One thing we don't know much about is how good Mason is at pass pro, picking up blitzes, etc. If he doesn't have those down pat, it could diminish his snaps.

I didn’t say he’s his equal (because of the pass-catching), but Mason is a tougher runner & would very likely have higher yards-after-contact than CMC over the long haul.

I’m confident there would be very little difference in their ground game as far as production (albeit, with different styles). That said, while Mason has a ton of headroom still left, we’ll see what he does with it.

I hope you're right, but I just don't see Mason having the same production on the ground as CMC. Mainly because he won't be the featured back like CMC was. It's gonna be way closer to a 50/50 split with Mitchell than it has been between CMC and everyone else IMO.

One thing we don't know much about is how good Mason is at pass pro, picking up blitzes, etc. If he doesn't have those down pat, it could diminish his snaps.
The top-5 statement was made assuming Mason would be the lead back. I can’t see Shanny platooning Mitchell with him given the talent difference (IMO).

Good point about the pass pro. We need to see that.

Nobody is replacing CMC of course. Mitchell was the guy - but is he still? Not automatic after injuries and most aren’t nearly as effective soon after being activated. Mason is a beast and healthy. Excellent bruising runner. Just wish they had better rushing matchups the next few weeks

What a mess.

Monday night game...unless ruled out, you have people trying to figure out which of Mason or Mitchell tonight and both may be useless if CMC is active.

UPDATE: Just saw on ESPN that the 49ers are awaiting additional imaging for CMC to determine the severity. That doesnt sound good

Shanny tends to ride with the hot hand, so if Mason or Mitchell look good in a game, they'll probably get the Lions share of touches. He also scripts the first 24 plays, so whoever starts is gonna be the main guy in the game plan that week.

So it could definitely change week to week if CMC misses time

Last edited:
UPDATE: Just saw on ESPN that the 49ers are awaiting additional imaging fornCMC to determine the severity. That doesnt sound good

Shanny tends to ride with the hot hand, so if Mason or Mitchell look good in a game, they'll probably get the Lions share of touches. He also scripts the first 24 plays, so whoever starts is gonna be the main guy in the game plan that week.

So it could definitely change week to week if CMC misses time
So that’s why we haven’t heard about the exact nature of the injury.

What a mess.

Monday night game...unless ruled out, you have people trying to figure out which of Mason or Mitchell tonight and both may be useless if CMC is active.

Tentatively I’m starting CMC in the Flex and I’ll be seeking out Mason then Mitchell on waivers. I’ve got Akers which isn’t saying much. I’d like a couple options on Monday IF I decide to roll into Monday with CMC in the starter spot.

These conflicting reports aren't helping matters.

ESPN says 49ers waiting for more imaging, then they just showed the Schefter tweet.

:loco:

Turn off all the talking heads.
Just listen to the good folks here on this board.
I trust them more than anyone getting paid big bucks to make headlines and get "hits" or "likes"

A bit concerning that Niners are being coy about the situation and waiting for more testing. Followup testing is generally not a good sign. Wouldn’t be surprised if they are saying cmc a possible chance of playing as a decoy and then he sits last second on Monday.

He also scripts the first 24 plays,

That seems dumb, what if play 6 results in a sack on 2nd down and play 7 is a run?

Shanahan has said that he always scripts out the first 24 plays of each game, but says he has never run through the script sequentially. Instead, he'll jump around the script, calling plays as dictated by the flow of the game. He also scripts the first 8 plays of the second half.

He also scripts the first 24 plays,

That seems dumb, what if play 6 results in a sack on 2nd down and play 7 is a run?

Shanahan has said that he always scripts out the first 24 plays of each game, but says he has never run through the script sequentially. Instead, he'll jump around the script, calling plays as dictated by the flow of the game. He also scripts the first 8 plays of the second half.
Ah, okay. That makes sense. I probably only run a dozen or so plays in Madden. 😄

Shanahan has a scheduled presser tomorrow at 12:40pm, followed by 49ers first practice of the week at 1:50pm.

Hopefully we get some real info.

What a steal as a UDFA.
There’s not a lot of scheming you can do with a guy like Mason given their other weapons.

My evaluation is based on limited touches, but Mason looks like the real deal in that offense. I wonder what kind of pass-catching chops he’s got?
I’ve said this before with a diff rb but I think of it less as a question of scheming for Mason and more do they scheme for McCaffrey or spend the week installing creative packages to torment Brock purdy

Niners Nation:

49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan says that Christian McCaffrey's MRI results were encouraging. It's just an oblique injury for McCaffrey, not a rib injury. He's day-to-day.

McCaffrey won't practice today. Neither will Deebo Samuel, Trent Williams, Dre Greenlaw, or Aaron Banks.

Barrows:

Shanahan was dodgy on the diagnosis, but it's notable that ribs are no longer part of Christian McCaffrey's injury designation. It seems to signal that he has a chance to play Monday in Minnesota.

He said Elijah Mitchell (knee) is full go this week.

Niners Nation:

49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan says that Christian McCaffrey's MRI results were encouraging. It's just an oblique injury for McCaffrey, not a rib injury. He's day-to-day.

McCaffrey won't practice today. Neither will Deebo Samuel, Trent Williams, Dre Greenlaw, or Aaron Banks.

Barrows:

Shanahan was dodgy on the diagnosis, but it's notable that ribs are no longer part of Christian McCaffrey's injury designation. It seems to signal that he has a chance to play Monday in Minnesota.

He said Elijah Mitchell (knee) is full go this week.

Seems like the best possible news.

So who’s the pickup if he’s out? I would assume Mitchell, but Mason has been playing ahead of him so maybe Mitchell is still banged up?
Mason

Mitchell is the clear starter over Mason assuming he is healthy.
Is this your opinion (may be valid) or was this said by someone in the know?
Shanahan Did say it, I believe, though whether that really will translate to total volume is anyone’s guess.

So who’s the pickup if he’s out? I would assume Mitchell, but Mason has been playing ahead of him so maybe Mitchell is still banged up?
Mason

Shanahan Did say it, I believe, though whether that really will translate to total volume is anyone’s guess.
Shanahan said "Mitchell is the clear starter" ? I missed that I guess

I initially thought Mason would be the guy, but Mitchell might get the start due to seniority. Mason could still get the most touches, though.

That said, Mason is the play in dynasty leagues. McCaffrey isn’t getting any younger & Mason is the real deal. Mitchell has no shot at holding him off long-term.

Mason

Shanahan said "Mitchell is the clear starter" ? I missed that I guess

He didn't say that word for word, but that is my interpretation.

Users who are viewing this thread