What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrell Henderson, LAR (4 Viewers)

BobbyLayne said:
Darrell Henderson automatic starter?

Good film breakdown here from Harris football.

Speed B      
power C     
elusiveness B+
receiving B   
situation A-

Overall I feel like this is pretty solid work. Great opportunity, some flaws, but should be a VG option in 2021.

I'm inclined to agree. Situation is everything for Henderson. Should be a solid Flex player all year, or RB2 for teams that go TE/QB/WR heavy early. 

Would be nice if Harris also had a "Durability" metric. It would likely be C- or D since Henderson has been dinged up quite a bit, but it's a relatively small sample size. 

Hard to know if it will carry forward, but hearing McVay refer to it already, before he's even been hurt is definitely a small-ish red flag. 

-jb- said:
Harris is such a quirky bird but always a good listen. I like his approach and insight.

I’ve been a fan for years, love his show.

BUT...he has a flaw he shares with a lot of film guys. He is convinced his own evaluation is correct (TBF he rarely misses), he discounts opportunity a little too much. He’s adjusted s bit (you can’t legislate usage, situations matter) but it’s kind of silly that every year he underrates Henry while pimping Mixon.

That said, he was way ahead of the curve on Kamara as a rookie, called Cooper Kupp before anyone knew who he was, was all over Diggs from Day One and kept him high in his rankings last year end everyone else had him as a 6th rounder.

I like that he is OK with being out of sync with consensus, so many analysts are scared to deviate significantly from how the rest of the expert community values a player.

Losing goal line due to lack of power will make him an RB3 at best if he stays healthy

Maybe, I think most expect LAR to sign someone. There’s still a pretty good chance the early down/GL back isn’t on the roster yet. They feel like they need a proven power back and I don’t think they’ll stand pat.

Maybe, I think most expect LAR to sign someone. There’s still a pretty good chance the early down/GL back isn’t on the roster yet. They feel like they need a proven power back and I don’t think they’ll stand pat.
are you an almanac subscriber?

are you an almanac subscriber?

I am not, been wondering myself if worth buying?

I love listening to film guys, they catch nuances that most miss. you ever listen to/watch Bootleg Football (Brett Kollmann and E.J. Snyder)? It’s fantastic but they don’t put out much content together, each has their newsletter, podcast, YouTube, et al.

The only $ I spent this year is FBGs. I was going to get the middle tier package of Reception Perception but then found out the $19 & $29 plans don’t give me the sortable data I wanted ($99 only.)

Harris puts out a ton of free content. Of the hundreds of podcasts and YT channels I subscribe to, his is one of a handful with notifications on bc I don’t want to miss anything. Even though I am data driven in my decision making I love hearing the film/scouting perspective.

Losing goal line due to lack of power will make him an RB3 at best if he stays healthy

I don't see big TD numbers from him - maybe around 6-8 combined. He could be used on an outside pitch here and there at the GL, but yes he's not a prototype GL guy. My hope is he sees more work in the passing game which in ppr leagues could put him in the RB2 range. Ideally he's a RB3 for you in fantasy though.

I am not, been wondering myself if worth buying?

I love listening to film guys, they catch nuances that most miss. you ever listen to/watch Bootleg Football (Brett Kollmann and E.J. Snyder)? It’s fantastic but they don’t put out much content together, each has their newsletter, podcast, YouTube, et al.

The only $ I spent this year is FBGs. I was going to get the middle tier package of Reception Perception but then found out the $19 & $29 plans don’t give me the sortable data I wanted ($99 only.)

Harris puts out a ton of free content. Of the hundreds of podcasts and YT channels I subscribe to, his is one of a handful with notifications on bc I don’t want to miss anything. Even though I am data driven in my decision making I love hearing the film/scouting perspective.
I’m likely going to buy the almanac this year. I’ll take this to PM. 

I don't see big TD numbers from him - maybe around 6-8 combined. He could be used on an outside pitch here and there at the GL, but yes he's not a prototype GL guy. My hope is he sees more work in the passing game which in ppr leagues could put him in the RB2 range. Ideally he's a RB3 for you in fantasy though.
I'm a little more optimistic than this on Henderson. He had 4 TD's in his week small week 2-5 run as the nominal starter last year, and 3 of those 4 TD's were from 1 or 2 yards out. McVay has maybe the biggest history of running inside the 5 yard line of any current NFL HC, the Rams have averaged 20 rushing TD's a year since McVay became HC, with 19 last season. Henderson isn't big, obviously, but they don't really have anyone on the roster that is right now. 

If Henderson stays healthy, I think a top-10 season is well within reason. I have no confidence that he will, as he's been banged up a bit on much smaller workloads, but if he does, I think 6-8 TD's, might be his numbers at midseason. His ceiling is probably closer to 13 TD's or so. 

The biggest concern to me, is the Rams adding another RB, especially if its someone with size. 

If I had a nickel for every time some one said a RB isnt big enough I could buy you all cars.

If I had a nickel for every time they were right I might be able to buy one of you a tonka truck.

Have the Rams brought in anyone to replace Henderson or is he still considered the #1 RB there?
Haven't brought anyone in yet.

As of now he's slated for the lions share of touches but will probably be a split of some sort regardless; just don't think they view him as anything close to a bellcow. Doesn't mean he can't perform as a solid #2 in fantasy though. 

August 20:

Fantasy Football: Takeaways from training camp, preseason Week 1

Excerpt:

Zero reasons to worry about Darrell Henderson Jr.

If you were wringing your hands over something (or someone) derailing Darrell Henderson’s path to assuming the bulk of Cam Akers’ workload, please stop.

Nothing out of Rams’ camp has indicated anything but Henderson being the clear leader in this backfield. They’ve rested him like a starter, treated him a starter with camp reps, and reportedly view him as a starter. I’m not sure there was a vagabond veteran back available on the market who would have derailed my optimism for Henderson anyway but we’ve gotten zero indications one is about to arrive.

I typically want to draft wide receivers in Rounds 3 to 4 but when Henderson is on the board in the fourth or even late-third, I can’t help myself. He can make that draft position look like a steal in less than a month of regular-season action.

Where DH provides added value is the passing game so this does have a big impact depending severity. Honestly I see McVay adding another back ASAP after this and seeing there other young back getting hurt (Calais?). Wouldn’t be surprised if they signed or traded for someone by end of week.

The question is if Gurley doesn't want to play in LA or if LA doesn't want Gurley. But if dude isn't in shape, willingness doesn't really factor into the equation.
I wasn’t necessarily even thinking of Gurley. I just think McVay will be quick to add someone unless he thinks Malcom Brown may be a cut victim in Miami and wait it out.

I think they roll with Hendo (and a healthy thumb), Jones, and Funk.  Think they would've made a move for someone like AP already so he can grasp the playbook.

I think they roll with Hendo (and a healthy thumb), Jones, and Funk.  Think they would've made a move for someone like AP already so he can grasp the playbook.
I would bet against that, their window is now. They have always been aggressive and I would find it hard to believe they don’t make a move. Maybe it is after cuts but I doubt they sit still.

Rams will add someone after cut downs, but it will mainly be for depth and not to directly compete for starting job. It’s Hendo’s until he wears down.

I think Henderson is a very strong buy in dynasty.

I'm not at all scared off of LAR bringing in someone after cut downs.  At this point, I very comfortable thinking that Henderson gets the majority of touches.   Given the fact that there's more that 0% chance Akers ever regains his full ability, he's got an opportunity for an extended run with high workload on a dynamic offense.  Also, I think most dynasty value lists and calculators are still undervaluing this opportunity.  He's routinely valued similarly to Damien Harris, Ronald Jones, and AJ Dillon.  If I can get Henderson 1 for 1 for any of those guys, I'm not hesitating.

I'm not at all scared off of LAR bringing in someone after cut downs.  At this point, I very comfortable thinking that Henderson gets the majority of touches.   Given the fact that there's more that 0% chance Akers ever regains his full ability, he's got an opportunity for an extended run with high workload on a dynamic offense.  Also, I think most dynasty value lists and calculators are still undervaluing this opportunity.  He's routinely valued similarly to Damien Harris, Ronald Jones, and AJ Dillon.  If I can get Henderson 1 for 1 for any of those guys, I'm not hesitating.
I agree, but I don't trust McVay.

they're rolling with DH , doubtful anyone picked up off waivers contributes anything meaningful to the offense other than bench warming, towel holding, official 'pat on the butt' guy who congratulates everyone as they come off the field, pats their butt, says good job baby.official hype guy, official ra-ra sideline cheerleader guy. 

I guess things change quickly in this game.

From the Footballguys Email:

Big news this morning. And bad news for Darrell Henderson fans.

ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting: "Patriots are trading RB Sony Michel to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for two late-round conditional draft picks, per sources. New England gets back two picks, the Rams get needed talent and depth at running back."

Our Sigmund Bloom has this:

"Sony Michel played some of the best football of his career at the end of 2020 and according to camp reports he picked up where he had left off. The Patriots fourth round pick Rhamondre Stevenson had been doing too many good things in the preseason for Bill Belichick to basically redshirt him as he typically does with rookie backs other than Michel, who was a first round pick.

"Stevenson moves into the 1A role with Damien Harris. Whether this hurts Harris because Stevenson takes over goal line work with his straight ahead style, or helps Harris because he'll get more work as the most experienced early down back in New England is yet to be seen, but Harris is cheap enough to take the plunge either way, especially with Cam Newton's status as the starter a little shakier after he had to stay away from the team this week due to covid regulations that only apply to him because he is unvaccinated.

"On the Rams side of things, Darrell Henderson was getting the bubble wrap treatment this summer and still hurt his thumb, which might have made Sean McVay anxious. Michel should at least take the edge off of Henderson's upside, if not force a committee. Henderson is not worth taking at his ADP now and the air has gone out of the Xavier Jones/Jake Funk injury upside balloon, but both Michel and Stevenson become late round targets in deeper drafts."

For deeper breakdowns, we just released Sigmund's feature here: "Reacting To The Michel And Etienne RB Developments".

Let us help you all season long with information like this. Our Footballguys Premium Subscriptions are the edge you need. We have a 30 Day Money-back Guarantee so there is Zero Risk. We'll give you everything we can to help you win at fantasy football.

I hope you'll join us.

Peace,

I didn't like Henderson before at his ADP.  We'll see how far this drops him, but hard for me to see myself getting excited about him.  

There’s your veteran RB addition

Patriots are trading RB Sony Michel to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for two late-round conditional draft picks, per sources.

New England gets back two picks, the Rams get needed talent and depth at running back.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1430490016569040899?s=10

There’s your veteran RB addition

Patriots are trading RB Sony Michel to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for two late-round conditional draft picks, per sources.

New England gets back two picks, the Rams get needed talent and depth at running back.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1430490016569040899?s=10

Chris Harris has been calling this for weeks :lol:  

Now Henderson's ADP is going to fall though. I wonder how far.
At least a round.  Everyone should have known they weren't going into the season with just Henderson and a couple of undrafted RBs.   Even though I don't like Michel, we all knew McVay would bring in someone to make this complicated.  Now be honest with yourself, didn't you really know this would happen?  If he had brought in an aging veteran I wouldn't think too much of it, but Michel has just enough juice in the tank to make this a full 50/50.  I've been trying to tell you that McVay hates all of us fantasy players :)

Last edited by a moderator:
At least a round.  Everyone should have known they weren't going into the season with just Henderson and a couple of undrafted RBs.   Even though I don't like Michel, we all knew McVay would bring in someone to make this complicated.  Now be honest with yourself, didn't you really know this would happen?
Never said it wouldn't. Everyone has called this. But people are saying don't take him at ADP now. But which ADP? The one from yesterday or the one starting today?

Henderson is still the starter, and should still receive 65-70% of the touches when healthy.

In what should be a very good offense on a team that has a shot at the SB:

I'll say:

Henderson  1000-7  350-2

Michel  400-5 150-1

The trade really doesn't hurt Henderson's value much IMHO; Darrell was never going to be a 20+ carry workhorse back. If anything this craters Xavier Jones and maybe gives some uncertainty about Hendo's goal line role.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread