What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrell Henderson, LAR (1 Viewer)

I'm not following where this message leads one to believe Sony is going to force Henderson into a smaller role.
It doesn't, but I also think it's presumptuous to think that Michel will just go back to getting just a few carries. We'll have to see come next MNF.

Logic would say Michel will get more carries now to keep both fresh. I just don't see Henderson coming off on passing downs though due to his better blocking. It will be interesting to see what they do against Ari next week. Can they stay ahead of the scoreboard to be able to keep running.

It doesn't, but I also think it's presumptuous to think that Michel will just go back to getting just a few carries. We'll have to see come next MNF.
December in our game isn't time for wait-and-see. We all need to make decisions based on the infornation available. 

December in our game isn't time for wait-and-see. We all need to make decisions based on the infornation available. 
Totally, but I doubt there will be a lot of information available and it may be a crapshoot as to how the carries are divided. 

Jags are one of the worst defenses in the league that had an outlier performance against the Bills. Sony is fine with the ball in his hands, but his issues when the ball is not in his hands limits his usage in any offense...but especially McVay's. 
Actually Jax isn't terrible against the run and Michel just basically matched what Jonathan Taylor did against them a few weeks ago. Obviously he's no Taylor, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss his performance because it was against Jacksonville considering King Henry is the only RB who has put up more rushing yards against them this year.

Totally, but I doubt there will be a lot of information available and it may be a crapshoot as to how the carries are divided. 
Right, so place your bets accordingly. I.e  unless something actionable comes out I am not considering benching Henderson for Devonta Freeman. As last week's Ringer article correctly articulates McVay's offense is one part 'illusion of conplexity' and one part 'stagnant shotgun.' Who gives that approach the optimal chance of success? A more diverse back, which is Henderson. 

Seems this happens quite a bit.  Professional NFL RB comes in and has a good game replacing the starter and many think it changes the pecking order.  Most likely when Henderson is 100% he gets his previous workload.  Could be different this time, but I am not going to panic.  If Henderson practices fully I am starting him over Sony unless we get other information.

lol no.  The RB picks in that draft were historically bad. He isn't a 1st round talent.  He has the ability to step in vs a scrub team running out the game clock and produce.  Perfect game script for him.  If he was good NE would have kept him. 
??

I think you misunderstood my original post. I'm just indicating that the guy being a 1st rounder has just as much pedigree as the 3rd Rounder in Henderson who the Rams had so much confidence in they drafted Akers.

Believe me. I'm a Henderson stomper and burnt an early 1st on him in many leagues a few years back in Dynasty. I'm just saying, it would be foolish to ignore him as if he is a non-factor. The point is, I don't think either guy are "elite". I think the situation is so good that even YOU could average 4.0 YPC behind that line (before getting concussed).

??

I think you misunderstood my original post. I'm just indicating that the guy being a 1st rounder has just as much pedigree as the 3rd Rounder in Henderson who the Rams had so much confidence in they drafted Akers.

Believe me. I'm a Henderson stomper and burnt an early 1st on him in many leagues a few years back in Dynasty. I'm just saying, it would be foolish to ignore him as if he is a non-factor. The point is, I don't think either guy are "elite". I think the situation is so good that even YOU could average 4.0 YPC behind that line (before getting concussed).
This is well said. Neither player has an untouchable pedigree. Has Henderson done that much to make him untouchable?  He is 17th in rushing yards and 17th in fantasy points for RBs. I keep starting him each week hoping he will break out but I can’t say he is untouchable to me. 
I think the people who are acting like Henderson is an elite RB are not willing to look at it objectively. 

I’d be surprised if Sony took over the lead role, but wouldn’t be surprised at all to see this become more of a committee, if for now other reason than to keep Hendo healthier.

The Rams have been basically looking for a Hendo replacement for years. He’s by no means some untouchable back. 

I’d be surprised if Sony took over the lead role, but wouldn’t be surprised at all to see this become more of a committee, if for now other reason than to keep Hendo healthier.

The Rams have been basically looking for a Hendo replacement for years. He’s by no means some untouchable back. 
I agree.  Sony looked great. Henderson has been fine, but certainly not jaw dropping by any means. I could see it being the worst thing possible for fantasy owners- a platoon situation. Especially with Hendo's injury.  They will want to keep both fresh and healthy for their playoff run. 

I agree.  Sony looked great. Henderson has been fine, but certainly not jaw dropping by any means. I could see it being the worst thing possible for fantasy owners- a platoon situation. Especially with Hendo's injury.  They will want to keep both fresh and healthy for their playoff run. 

I think a case could be made that up until this past weekend this is exactly what they've been doing with Michel.

I don't think we can make this assessment after yesterday. Could run the gamut depending on how McVay wants to run the offense. Henderson may have more explosiveness than Sony, and is probably better in pass pro, but McVay may try to use Henderson more situationally to keep him healthy.
I agree - and Sony does next to nothing in the receiving game. At least the Rams receiving game - he looks clumsy running into the flat & the production is poor. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a RBBC there, but Henderson with the better PPR floor.

Time will tell. The Jags are an awful defense. The Cards game should be telling. If Henderson is healthy for that game, I’ll play him. Unless McVay says something to the contrary prior to that game. 

??

It’s true. But Sony isn’t elite either. He has been what he’s been. He had one big run against a Swiss cheese run D that made half hearted efforts to tackle him which skewed his numbers a bit - before that run he was around 4 YPC, with several 7-9 yard runs and several runs for a loss.

And over the course of the season, Henderson has looked more dynamic & more explosive. And he’s clearly a better receiving weapon out of the backfield. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sony get more use, but with Woods gone, the Rams need all the weapons they can get. So I could also see Sony in the backfield with Henderson split out wide as they sometimes already do when they go empty backfield.  I don’t see the opposite happening, so when Hendo gets RB reps, Sony is likely on the sideline.

We’ll see what happens, but I believe when healthy, Henderson is still McVay’s preferred option foe the versatility he brings. I didn’t see Sony so much to separate himself or Wally Pip Hendo in this game, and I watched quite a bit of it (I have Stafford too) 

most importantly, I hope Breida puts up big numbers tonight. :D  

It doesn't necessarily matter how many carries Michel gets if Henderson's opportunities are not impacted. For example, Michel could get more carries because the RB usage as a whole goes up.

He is 17th in rushing yards and 17th in fantasy points for RBs
Totals can present an incomplete picture without also discussing average production.

Henderson is currently 13th in ppg among RBs (PPR), and has more total points than 3 of the players ahead of him due to injuries (Henry, Cook, McCaffrey).

Totals can present an incomplete picture without also discussing average production.

Henderson is currently 13th in ppg among RBs (PPR), and has more total points than 3 of the players ahead of him due to injuries (Henry, Cook, McCaffrey).
I think the point is, both Henderson and Michel are adequate running backs who can put up numbers in the Rams offense.  There was no dropoff whatsoever yesterday with Henderson out.  In fact, the offense looked better than it has in a month.  Not that they were playing the '85 Bears, but Jacksonville has not been a sieve against running backs this season. As someone above stated, Derrick Henry is the only back with more yards against Jacksonville than Michel had yesterday.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a 60/40 type split going forward.  Maybe even closer to 50/50. 

I think the point is, both Henderson and Michel are adequate running backs who can put up numbers in the Rams offense.  There was no dropoff whatsoever yesterday with Henderson out.  In fact, the offense looked better than it has in a month.  Not that they were playing the '85 Bears, but Jacksonville has not been a sieve against running backs this season. As someone above stated, Derrick Henry is the only back with more yards against Jacksonville than Michel had yesterday.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a 60/40 type split going forward.  Maybe even closer to 50/50. 
That is the point I was making. If it was Henry out for a game and the backup had the best RB performance for the season I wouldn’t say Henry is in danger. Henderson has been fine but no where close to elite. I don’t believe his playing time is untouchable. And a split like that will kill his fantasy value. 

Monday night game.  For those of us that have both Sony and Henderson, which one are you starting?

I know I can wait until that night to decide.  My only concern is some type of 50/50 or 60/40 split.  That would ruin both of them and I would lean towards using someone on Sunday.

Monday night game.  For those of us that have both Sony and Henderson, which one are you starting?

I know I can wait until that night to decide.  My only concern is some type of 50/50 or 60/40 split.  That would ruin both of them and I would lean towards using someone on Sunday.
This is exactly what I'm afraid of as well.

skinsrule05 said:

Henderson 

This is what I was afraid of, people picking both sides.  Basically it means we don't know.  Hopefully there is more clarity before we have to make a decision on Sunday.

They called up Mehki.  I think Henderson will sit again.  
That's a bit of an overreaction. 

He doesn't have an injury designation and so far has practiced in full. Rams can't afford to rest anyone especially against Arizona. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, that is the problem with trying to get info on a message board.  Sometimes people just make things up to support their opinion.  Thank you for this.  I guess we will get more info once they actually practice.
My mistake I had looked at my update and there was no injury news in it so I assumed he practiced Wednesday. Forgot the game is Monday. 

Darrell Henderson will be limited in Thursday's practice. 

Because it's a walkthrough-style practice, this is just an estimation of a player's availability. This is Los Angeles' first practice of the week since they're taking on the Cardinals on Monday Night Football. Henderson went DNP-DNP-Limited last week before being active as an emergency-only player in last Sunday's win against the Jaguars. Opening as limited is a promising sign for some involvement against Arizona. 

SOURCE: Jourdan Rodrigue on Twitter

Dec 9, 2021, 3:06 PM ET

Darrell Henderson (quad) remained limited in Friday's practice.

Henderson was also listed as limited in the Rams' Thursday walkthrough.  After being active on an emergency basis last week, Henderson is trending toward playing Monday night, but it could be another week of  Sony Michel as the feature back. A return to full practice on Saturday would set Henderson up to return to his starting role against the Cardinals.

Dec 10, 2021, 7:57 PM ET

Henderson has an illness and was DNP for practice today, team still gathering info.

Might be blessing in disguise for those of you considering starting him. 

Henderson

has an illness and was DNP for practice today, team still gathering info.

Might be blessing in disguise for those of you considering starting him. 

You mean a blessing so we have a good excuse to sit him?

This is a real double-edged decision for me this week, as I have Michel and my opponent has Hendo, last spot in the playoffs on the line. I'm worried that with the game on a Monday night we won't have enough info prior to decision time tomorrow. I have to start a RB, and picked up Wilson to cover Mitchell's absence.

I still like Hendo ROS, I think he fits their scheme better and is a lot better on passing downs.

Darrell Henderson (illness) did not practice Saturday.

The Rams are “awaiting more info,” suggesting it could be a COVID issue. If Henderson does have COVID we’d have to then think about Sony Michel being a close contact. There are a lot of moving parts here ahead of Monday night’s kickoff in Arizona.

TheWinz said:
Unless he becomes a close contact inactive...
Which will only apply if Sony is not vaccinated and I don’t know his status.

Speaking of does anyone know if Henderson is vaxxed? Fact he tested later in the week puts more doubt into him being vaxxed. If not he’s out next week as well.

Users who are viewing this thread