What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (1 Viewer)

They are a quite rubbish team I think.

But, why run him into the ground for absolutely nothing? Seems completely pointless. I reckon the plan is to sign him to a short term deal end of season, keep him a bit fresher going into next when they've made some improvements, see whether Will Levis is worth persisting with by putting it on his back remainder of season, see if next year is better.
all good, agreed… why not trade him then? You’re not even seeing what you have in spears in this situation

Because they don't want to trade him as they still think he will offer more value than whatever ******** late pick they got offered.

And Henry doesn't want to leave.

he HAS to get us owners fantasy points this week at home - give the beast 25 touches at least and see where it goes

because in 2 leagues I have him in, last 2 weeks of him and Diggs have killed me

Because they don't want to trade him as they still think he will offer more value than whatever ******** late pick they got offered.
This logic makes no sense. Since they didn't trade him he will have zero value to them when he inevitably doesn't resign with the Titans this offseason. He certainly doesn't offer them any "value" for the rest of this season.

Do you think they'll back up the dumptruck of money for him? Do you think that would even be enough? What "value" is there to Henry for staying with the Titans other than money (something that he can get elsewhere on a team that will have a shot)?

You seem to be confident that some other team is going to offer him a load of money.
That's not what I'm implying at all. I think a competitive team has more to offer than the Titans. I don't think it makes sense for the Titans to give him the type of contract they'll need to to keep him. Why would they pay an "old" running back when they need to essentially entirely rebuild their offense.

If a team like the Chiefs offers Henry a contract that is identical or even less money than what the Titans offer... do you think he stays in TEN?

You seem confident he's staying in Tennessee, why? To me, that move doesn't make sense for Henry or the Titans.

The Titans thinking that had something in Levis, at least enough of something to be competitive, after one game so they kept Henry is some galaxy brain thinking. Now, like we all predicted, the team still stinks, Henry won't be back next year, and they'll have nothing to show for it.
The OC has been horrible. Vrabel should fire his buddy but hasn't. It's deja vu with Mularkey and Robiskie.

There's really no market for backs around 30 years old and they're not given big $ deals either.

Tyjae has proven to be Tiki like and not very good between the tackles, more adequate, but flashy outside. I don't at all think he's the dynasty handcuff.
Chestnut got hurt but he's been a hard hitter classic type back.
There's always plenty of backs in the draft in any round too.

I've said a few times and...it's very possible Henry and Tannehill return under affordable contracts. 2-3 more years of quality backup for Tannehill. For Henry, do it right and make someone beat him out.

What did Dalvin Cook get on the open market? Hunt? Fournette is a PS player signed recently. IIRC there are a few older RBs about to be free agents like Aaron Jones at 28.
What's Henry gonna get five mil per? The Titans have at least 100 mil available next year with more coming if there's a house cleaning. I don't see any reason they can't afford that or feel it's a hindrance at all.

Henry loves his teammates/boys, his coaches, his city....he never talks of leaving. He was recently on the radio discussing how he's back in Florida and he's replying with how he likes the life he built in TEN.
Also fwiw he does not like cold weather which limits where he'd go.

I think we all expect free agents to leave but he's rather unlikely.

Maybe it's Vrabel, as an ex-player, doing Henry a solid knowing he will be elsewhere and saving him some wear and tear in a lost season for the team.

The Titans thinking that had something in Levis, at least enough of something to be competitive, after one game so they kept Henry is some galaxy brain thinking. Now, like we all predicted, the team still stinks, Henry won't be back next year, and they'll have nothing to show for it.
The OC has been horrible. Vrabel should fire his buddy but hasn't. It's deja vu with Mularkey and Robiskie.

There's really no market for backs around 30 years old and they're not given big $ deals either.

Tyjae has proven to be Tiki like and not very good between the tackles, more adequate, but flashy outside. I don't at all think he's the dynasty handcuff.
Chestnut got hurt but he's been a hard hitter classic type back.
There's always plenty of backs in the draft in any round too.

I've said a few times and...it's very possible Henry and Tannehill return under affordable contracts. 2-3 more years of quality backup for Tannehill. For Henry, do it right and make someone beat him out.

What did Dalvin Cook get on the open market? Hunt? Fournette is a PS player signed recently. IIRC there are a few older RBs about to be free agents like Aaron Jones at 28.
What's Henry gonna get five mil per? The Titans have at least 100 mil available next year with more coming if there's a house cleaning. I don't see any reason they can't afford that or feel it's a hindrance at all.

Henry loves his teammates/boys, his coaches, his city....he never talks of leaving. He was recently on the radio discussing how he's back in Florida and he's replying with how he likes the life he built in TEN.
Also fwiw he does not like cold weather which limits where he'd go.

I think we all expect free agents to leave but he's rather unlikely.
Cook/Hunt/Fournette all looked like a shell of themselves before they found there not to be much of a market. I don’t think that’s what’s going on here. He may have declined a bit but he’s still big and fast and I don’t think many would argue he’s outside the top 10-15 backs in the league.

I do think you may be onto something as far as him just liking where he lives and not particularly wanting to move though. Ultimately if you have enough money and are presented with the options of moving for work or not, sometimes you rationally might just go with not

Any chance TN throws in the towel and just lets T. Spears take over?

Already have Levis in there. Henry gone anyway.
He's gotten work every other week and looks very much like a scat back not a three down back.
Bad offense bad line but I don't see that toughness n vision between the tackles just a whole lot of speed to nowhere.
He's fantastic and exciting along the sideline- as good as anyone- but ...this is Kelly's problem too...football is more a series of predictable plays then a surprise. He needs to be able to pound the rock to then set up a sweet outside run.
I'd take him in a footrace over eight in the box anyway but Ds just spread out when he comes on the field.

This is the same stuff I was saying about Foreman in Chicago. He brought order to a really disorganized offense. Everyone can eat once the D is where they want them to be.

Levis' arm strength caught the defense off guard in his first action, but since then he's been dreadful. I don't believe this is the end for Henry, but he may not provide any value this year if Levis continues to start. The offensive line is a problem, but the lack of an efficient and dangerous passing attack may be even more harmful to the running game. To my eye, Henry doesn't look slow, doesn't seem to be mailing it in. He's still running hard but there are no holes. Tennessee seems like the kind of team that will keep him around next season if he wants based on everything he's done for the team. IMO, he'll see one year contracts with them until the end. This guy has been so fun to watch for so many years, hopefully they are able to get going in the right direction again.

Got an offer the other day for him. It’s a 2nd in ‘24. Not sure what to do. Guy is one game ahead of me and we are 5 & 6 in the playoff hunt.

I feel like Derrick Henry still looks like the elite RB he has for years, but the offense is just SO MUCH worse.

I could see Henry signing in like Baltimore next offseason and being a top-5 RB again. He's the rare 30-ish year old RB, where I think his value is probably going to go up rather than down this offseason.
Henry seems to be someone totally comfortable with his personal situation in the city he likes. But he would be better off in some place like Baltimore.

Got an offer the other day for him. It’s a 2nd in ‘24. Not sure what to do. Guy is one game ahead of me and we are 5 & 6 in the playoff hunt.
I personally wouldn't do that, as you still got some really nice matchups this season, and I think could get that or more in the offseason. He's gonna be a very sought after FA despite his age in my opinion.

I feel like Derrick Henry still looks like the elite RB he has for years, but the offense is just SO MUCH worse.

I could see Henry signing in like Baltimore next offseason and being a top-5 RB again. He's the rare 30-ish year old RB, where I think his value is probably going to go up rather than down this offseason.
Henry seems to be someone totally comfortable with his personal situation in the city he likes. But he would be better off in some place like Baltimore.
I'd be surprised if the Titans kept him though. They are rebuilding, and I think the already have his replacement in Spears.

It depends on where you peg his current value. What do you think King Henry is worth right now?

It depends on where you peg his current value. What do you think King Henry is worth right now?
Dynasty wise, I'm not trading for less than a 1st rounder.

I personally wouldn't do that, as you still got some really nice matchups this season, and I think could get that or more in the offseason. He's gonna be a very sought after FA despite his age in my opinion.

I'd be surprised if the Titans kept him though. They are rebuilding, and I think the already have his replacement in Spears.
They probably want to keep him but the smart business decision is to not pay what he’s worth. And many fans would love to see him get a ring.

Seems crazy but I can see him in Dallas.

Watching it live it sure looked like he got knocked out in the air. Never seen that. Hope dudes okay.
I feel like the hit in the air was big, but I thought that his head striking the ground on the landing was the more concerning shot. His body (and head specifically) was moving fast struck the ground with a lot of force. I can’t see how his brain wouldn’t rattle with that impact. Definitely agree with you on hoping he’s okay.

I’m surprised there isn’t a thread for Spears yet. At least, not that I can find.

There was one. I'm almost sure of it. I don't know if they put it in the player index, but there was one.

The good news is Vrabel told media that Henry isn't in concussion protocol. The question to follow is why the heck not? After watching the replay its a tough sell in my opinion. To just completely avoid concussion protocol entirely? Wow

The good news is Vrabel told media that Henry isn't in concussion protocol. The question to follow is why the heck not? After watching the replay its a tough sell in my opinion. To just completely avoid concussion protocol entirely? Wow
Unreal.

Been holding Spears all year. Thought I'd be inserting him in my lineup this week. Nope.

Henry clearly is not human.

I'll be monitoring this one closely and see what the "coach speak" is this week with vrabel. Henry might not have a concussion but he still could be injured. Guess we see how practices shake out this week.

He misspoke and/or it was worded wrong by reporters, idk.
Day after evaluation usually puts a player resting a day or three. He had great evaluations and was able to do some workouts today.
Today would be one for the day off.
Wednesday would be an evaluation to return to practice
Saturday or Sunday (maybe it's Sunday Monday for MNF) he does still have to pass the concussion protocol test before the game.

Understand today was 💯 him being the king and wanting to workout and that he is normally off til Thursday w veterans day of rest. That was all.him today

nfl should look into it more,
Situation is strange.

Went into the tent, then right to the locker room, ruled out.

But he never entered the protocol??

Hmmm.
He did. He is.
It's not strange at all.
He got evaluated in the tent, had a concussion and sat the rest of the game.
Some are more serious than others.
Personal workout is quite different than team workout.
He'll wear a non contact jersey if the Titans have a contact practice this week

Bri,

Your posts on the Titans are always very informative. So you’re saying Henry IS in the protocol? Vrabel mis-spoke, or was mis-quoted?

Bri,

Your posts on the Titans are always very informative. So you’re saying Henry IS in the protocol? Vrabel mis-spoke, or was mis-quoted?
I didn't hear the Q&A to say positively but yes I believe something was misunderstood.

Here's the NFL protocol.
He is doing an individual workout the day after.
That's very good. I don't believe he has concussion history and that's very good.

I do not believe any steps can be skipped.
He has to do all five steps.
I'm sure the Titans two docs diagnosed him Sunday and cleared him Monday- to workout.

It is quite possible they said something like he looks great we'd clear him to play BUT...NFL insists on this five step process.
Team practices aren't til Wednesday and he usually sits Wednesday plus it's MNF for them so read into nothing if he sits. Anyway he hasn't even had a chance to clear the team step

The big missing element is an independent NFL neurologist clearing him

Bri,

I didn't hear the Q&A to say positively but yes I believe something was misunderstood.

Here's the NFL protocol.
That's very good. I don't believe he has concussion history and that's very good.

I'm sure the Titans two docs diagnosed him Sunday and cleared him Monday- to workout.

It is quite possible they said something like he looks great we'd clear him to play BUT...NFL insists on this five step process.
Team practices aren't til Wednesday and he usually sits Wednesday plus it's MNF for them so read into nothing if he sits. Anyway he hasn't even had a chance to clear the team step

Don't think I understand. Vrabel said he DOESN'T have a concussion. To me that means he is NOT in the protocol. I haven't read anything anywhere that says he is.

Bri,

Here's the NFL protocol.

Don't think I understand. Vrabel said he DOESN'T have a concussion. To me that means he is NOT in the protocol. I haven't read anything anywhere that says he is.
Henry left the game to the medical tent.
He did not pass the docs tests for concussion. The docs ruled him out with a concussion.
NFL rules are once he fails he is in the protocol.

Tua was the most publicized but there were probably others that had issues reentering or playing too soon after(next game) so the NFL and NFLPA developed these rules. There is an independent neurologist involved so even if both teams docs and coach want/think/expect a player to play, he can not without the independent neurologist's approval.

The steps are above in link. Me spitballing-
Ruled out
(Evaluated every day while in protocol)
Rest and possible doc appt
Individual workout
Non contact team workout
Pass full battery of tests again by team docs
Pass independent neurologist
I do know that-not listed in concussion protocol because it's in general rules- the NFL head doc and NFLPA may require a (in person at players location) visit at any time too. For example, the NFLPA pres can have a gut feeling about a concussion or drug use or practice rules or field conditions or whatever and show up for a meeting. NFL head doc (made up example) can show up in Cincy to see Joe Burrow's wrist if he thought they were not being transparent.
Assuming Henry slept Sunday into Monday, the Titans probably count that as his rest which means he completed rest and individual workout steps.
NFLPA probably notified them that that's not enough rest and they probably said he's off til Wednesday or Thursday. Idk that this matters because he is now resting.
He still has two steps left-
participate in a non contact team workout and be cleared by the team and independent doc.

Again the protocol is not optional.
I do not know the Q or the whole answer by Vrabel.
I imagine Henry showed up and met with team docs and they told him he passed and is doing great and can do his individual workout.
I imagine Vrabel asked and they said they cleared him.
A reporter asked (again idk) and Vrabel meant he's already been cleared by team docs
Vrabel does not have a say-per rules- so he simply goes by what the docs say

The disconnect might be that he went from the tent to the locker room, but so did Hurts (who came back into the game after getting checked for a concussion).

Henry might’ve simply got his bell rung & they held him out as a precaution.

I don't know. If your a concussion educator and you create a 10 minute clip on football hits to display head impact that Henry play was included.

Users who are viewing this thread