What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devon Achane, MIA (1 Viewer)

The crazy thing to me watching him is that he doesn't appear small. I get that his height/weight are lower than the standard for his position, but I don't see it on the field. This guy is a star. Fast, slippery and powerful. Up and coming and still proving himself, but he literally jumps off the screen at you. I would have a hard time trading this guy unless I got an absolute haul in return. Certainly not looking for a buy low sell high type thing for another RB. There are only a couple RBs out there I would trade him SU for at this point and his value hasn't reached those absurd levels....yet.
I'd trade him now if I could get back a star QB. I drafted Burrows and beginning to think he isn't going to improve this year.

The crazy thing to me watching him is that he doesn't appear small. I get that his height/weight are lower than the standard for his position, but I don't see it on the field. This guy is a star. Fast, slippery and powerful. Up and coming and still proving himself, but he literally jumps off the screen at you. I would have a hard time trading this guy unless I got an absolute haul in return. Certainly not looking for a buy low sell high type thing for another RB. There are only a couple RBs out there I would trade him SU for at this point and his value hasn't reached those absurd levels....yet.
I'd trade him now if I could get back a star QB. I drafted Burrows and beginning to think he isn't going to improve this year.
you might be able to get Richardson + for Achane.

All depends on your RB depth and the league size/setup I suppose, but I would have a hard time trading him for any QB outside of Mahomes, Hurts, Allen, Tua or Lamar, and at this point I don't think his perceived long term outlook gives you any chance at a trade like that. I believe he will continue to rock, but so far he's only done it in two weeks and while he has looked great it will be difficult to sustain RB1 production on limited touches per week. Burrow plus Achane to someone that likes to buy low? Possibly, but football is a fickle and Burrow will get right, we just don't know if it will be next week or week 14. I know nothing about your league setup, but after the elite 5, guys like Purdy, Love, Dobbs, Mayfield, Wilson and Stroud are playing as startable fantasy quarterbacks. If one of these guys is available I would personally be looking to bench Burrow and either play matchups or pick up one of the current top 14'ish options until he gets right.

All that said, the previous poster suggested Richardson + for Achane. That would be an interesting one. Richardson's fantasy needle is also pointing straight up and he could end up a top 5 option at the position when the season wraps.

Possibly, but football is a fickle and Burrow will get right, we just don't know if it will be next week or week 14. I know nothing about your league setup, but after the elite 5, guys like Purdy, Love, Dobbs, Mayfield, Wilson and Stroud are playing as startable fantasy quarterbacks. If one of these guys is available I would personally be looking to bench Burrow and either play matchups or pick up one of the current top 14'ish options until he gets right.
In my leagues, you are not winning the title without a really good QB.

Possibly, but football is a fickle and Burrow will get right, we just don't know if it will be next week or week 14. I know nothing about your league setup, but after the elite 5, guys like Purdy, Love, Dobbs, Mayfield, Wilson and Stroud are playing as startable fantasy quarterbacks. If one of these guys is available I would personally be looking to bench Burrow and either play matchups or pick up one of the current top 14'ish options until he gets right.
That goes for most fantasy football leagues, right? But I doubt you need a top 5 option, either.

All depends on your RB depth and the league size/setup I suppose, but I would have a hard time trading him for any QB outside of Mahomes, Hurts, Allen, Tua or Lamar, and at this point I don't think his perceived long term outlook gives you any chance at a trade like that. I believe he will continue to rock, but so far he's only done it in two weeks and while he has looked great it will be difficult to sustain RB1 production on limited touches per week. Burrow plus Achane to someone that likes to buy low? Possibly, but football is a fickle and Burrow will get right, we just don't know if it will be next week or week 14. I know nothing about your league setup, but after the elite 5, guys like Purdy, Love, Dobbs, Mayfield, Wilson and Stroud are playing as startable fantasy quarterbacks. If one of these guys is available I would personally be looking to bench Burrow and either play matchups or pick up one of the current top 14'ish options until he gets right.

All that said, the previous poster suggested Richardson + for Achane. That would be an interesting one. Richardson's fantasy needle is also pointing straight up and he could end up a top 5 option at the position when the season wraps.

I am actually kinda thinking Richardson but hesitate to make that deal. The owner also has Tua and can afford to deal him. I also have Bijan R and D Montgomery at RB. Yeah I'd miss Achane cause he is my flex and one heck of a flex but so far I've posted 39 points at my QB position for four games. Non-ppr. Less than 10 points per game. That sucks.

There are some options on the WW I am putting in for. See if I get lucky, if not maybe I take a chance and make a deal.

after the elite 5, guys like Purdy, Love, Dobbs, Mayfield, Wilson and Stroud are playing as startable fantasy quarterbacks.

Do you have Cousins lumped into the elite five?
No, my comment is not really based on weeks 1 through 4. Based on consistency and ceiling I would put Mahomes, Jackson, Hurts, Allen and (maybe) Tua up there although he's looked off against two good defenses early on. I kind of regret putting Tua up there with the other 4 but at the same time his ceiling is undeniable with that roster and offense.

Cousins is in a good spot to put up a great fantasy season, but do I trust him to do it while staying consistent enough to get through a winning fantasy playoff season? Maybe, but not enough to package Achane for him when I already have Burrow on my team. Burrow WAS part of the elite 5 for a couple seasons including this one (pre-draft), and I'm sure he'll be right back up there again once he gets his legs back underneath him. There will always be outliers, but based on what I've watched this year there are only like 4 QBs I feel could truly reach elite status at the position within the next three years. Tua, Love, AR and Stroud not necessarily in that order. Both have performed admirably, but it's only been 4 weeks for three of them. Gotta be realistic.

I am actually kinda thinking Richardson but hesitate to make that deal. The owner also has Tua and can afford to deal him. I also have Bijan R and D Montgomery at RB. Yeah I'd miss Achane cause he is my flex and one heck of a flex but so far I've posted 39 points at my QB position for four games. Non-ppr. Less than 10 points per game. That sucks.

There are some options on the WW I am putting in for. See if I get lucky, if not maybe I take a chance and make a deal.
I look at AR as a potential league winner, his ceiling is as high as any other QB and he should get better as we move forward. He's looking like he might put up a rookie year similar to what RGIII did which was just amazing.

I look at Achane the same way so it's really about league setup, your depth at RB and who's available to bridge the gap between now and when Burrow gets right.

No, my comment is not really based on weeks 1 through 4. Based on consistency and ceiling I would put Mahomes, Jackson, Hurts, Allen and (maybe) Tua up there although he's looked off against two good defenses early on. I kind of regret putting Tua up there with the other 4 but at the same time his ceiling is undeniable with that roster and offense.

Cousins averages 4100+/30+ over eight years while missing one game. Currently leading the league in passing TDs and third in passing yards. This guy just gets no respect.

Cousins averages 4100+/30+ over eight years while missing one game. Currently leading the league in passing TDs and third in passing yards. This guy just gets no respect.
Cousins is who he is at this point. A top 10'ish fantasy football QB that is extremely difficult to win a championship with him in fantasy or real life because for all his 400 yard 3 TD games he's bound to sprinkle in a few stinkers at the most inopportune times that absolutely kill you in both real and fake football. He turns the ball over too much and takes a lot of bad sacks holding the ball too long or not recognizing pressure pre-snap.

QB7 in 2023 through 4 games, QB8 in 2022, QB10 in 2021. He's a consistent producer who can't get over the hump. I've owned him in fantasy many years, and he doesn't get respect for a reason. I don't want to hate on him too much, I like him as a player and a person but I'm not sure he could ever be confused as elite even if he's playing with the best pass catchers of his career.

For my dollar, for fantasy purposes, I feel like he can be lumped in with about 10 other QBs from like 7-16. Certainly wouldn't trade Burrow, Love, Tua, Mahomes, Stroud, AR, Allen, Hurts, Herbert or Lawrence for him tomorrow in the NFL or my fantasy league.

On a side note, I should have included Herbert in the conversation of QBs that could ascend to elite status. He has all the tools and has put up some absolutely bonkers games. Coaching is certainly holding him back at this point even if he's the top QB in fantasy through 4 weeks. Staley is just one of the worst.

Lawrence might even still belong in the same conversation based on potential as well.

Agree. When Josh Allen can put up 50 points in a week...that's tough to beat.

Cousins is who he is at this point.

The stats are hard to argue with…

TDs and yards are nice in a vacuum but in those same 8 years Cousins has been sacked the 3rd most times of any QB (Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan), lost the most fumbles of any other QB, and thrown the 2nd most interceptions (Jameis Winston). He's also thrown for the 2nd most yards in those 8 years (Tom Brady).

Stats ARE hard to argue with, but they're easy to cherry pick. Cousins is who he is. A high ceiling, low floor QB who makes some amazing plays but also sprinkles in some of the worst.

Again, I like Cousins, as a player and a person, but it's hard to call someone elite when over the last 8 seasons he's been sacked that many times, lost that many fumbles and thrown that many INTs. As conservative of a personality as there is, he is reckless with the football. The highest of highs, the lowest of the lows. He's a great best ball QB but in any traditional format you're going to struggle to overcome his inconsistency and win a championship with him.

Again, I like Cousins, as a player and a person, but it's hard to call someone elite when over the last 8 seasons he's been sacked that many times, lost that many fumbles and thrown that many INTs.

I guess I don’t know how the word “elite” is being defined. Is there an actual objective measurement? How are you defining elite?

Again, I like Cousins, as a player and a person, but it's hard to call someone elite when over the last 8 seasons he's been sacked that many times, lost that many fumbles and thrown that many INTs.

I guess I don’t know how the word “elite” is being defined. Is there an actual objective measurement? How are you defining elite?
Once you so aggressively argue with someone's opinion there will be no winner or loser. Just pointless bickering. The previous poster is correct, this is not the thread for it. If you want to continue the discussion on Kirk Cousins being elite or not elite, tag me in that thread.

He can do it all.

ETA - Achane is elite

Hadn't seen this - thanks for posting. His speed absolutely pops off the screen, so elite. But, I had no idea how tough this guy runs. For his stature he sure seems to fall forward and pick up extra yardage every time he gets hit. He got popped several times. Potential to the moon.

He can do it all.

ETA - Achane is elite

Hadn't seen this - thanks for posting. His speed absolutely pops off the screen, so elite. But, I had no idea how tough this guy runs. For his stature he sure seems to fall forward and pick up extra yardage every time he gets hit. He got popped several times. Potential to the moon.
This is my greatest surprise with him. Yes, he's short. No, he doesn't sniff 190 pounds. Even so, he doesn't look small out there and he certainly doesn't run light. His pad level and balance are something to behold. The speed at which he gets around defenders and runs by them is so impressive it's hard to put into words.

I'm not really sure why I'm surprised, it's the same guy that showed out in the SEC against top level college competition, guys that wind up in the NFL. He may be small, but he seems to avoid big hits because of his elusiveness. They're already using him in the red zone and on the goal line. I'm all in on this kid. I've seen enough.

This looks like CJ2K all over again, it really does. The pre-draft, post-draft and early career commentary on both are so eerily similar.

Cousins is who he is at this point.

The stats are hard to argue with…

I always find these types of stats interesting but not very helpful. How many QBs have played for the last 8 years? He has 216 TDs over that time. Divide that by 8 and you get 27 TD’s per year with maybe 1 or 2 rushing scores. Yes that sounds about right. That’s what Cousins is. 4,000 yards and 27 TDs isn’t what it once was for fantasy purposes. There are so many more running QBs now than there ever was before. To be elite you need to throw for at least 4,200 yards and 35 TDs, otherwise you need to be able to combine Kirk’s average with about 400 rushing yards and a handful of scores on the ground. He ain’t bad but Kirk will never be elite. He’s basically what Philip Rivers always was

Last edited:
I always find these types of stats interesting but not very helpful. How many QBs have played for the last 8 years? He has 216 TDs over that time. Divide that by 8 and you get 27 TD’s per year with maybe 1 or 2 rushing scores. Yes that sounds about right. That’s what Cousins is. 4,000 yards and 27 TDs isn’t what it once was for fantasy purposes. There are so many more running QBs now than there ever was before. To be elite you need to throw for at least 4,200 yards and 35 TDs, otherwise you need to be able to combine Kurt’s average with about 400 rushing yards and a handful of scores on the ground. He ain’t bad but Kurt will never be elite. He’s basically what Philip Rivers always was

I went back 8 years, 5 years, 3 years and Cousins is consistently a top 3-5 QB for yards and TDs. I’d think that might meet most people’s definition of elite whatever that might be.

I accept that turnovers are a factor in FF scoring and in eyeing the data, Cousins runs a little higher than average. I didn’t analyze the impact on scoring but I’d guess we are talking fifteen points a season or so. I’ve never seen sacks used in FF QB scoring so I don’t look at them.

I always find these types of stats interesting but not very helpful. How many QBs have played for the last 8 years? He has 216 TDs over that time. Divide that by 8 and you get 27 TD’s per year with maybe 1 or 2 rushing scores. Yes that sounds about right. That’s what Cousins is. 4,000 yards and 27 TDs isn’t what it once was for fantasy purposes. There are so many more running QBs now than there ever was before. To be elite you need to throw for at least 4,200 yards and 35 TDs, otherwise you need to be able to combine Kurt’s average with about 400 rushing yards and a handful of scores on the ground. He ain’t bad but Kurt will never be elite. He’s basically what Philip Rivers always was

I went back 8 years, 5 years, 3 years and Cousins is consistently a top 3-5 QB for yards and TDs. I’d think that might meet most people’s definition of elite whatever that might be.

I accept that turnovers are a factor in FF scoring and in eyeing the data, Cousins runs a little higher than average. I didn’t analyze the impact on scoring but I’d guess we are talking fifteen points a season or so. I’ve never seen sacks used in FF QB scoring so I don’t look at them.
I'm a huge Vikings fan and I like Kirk Cousins, but I don't think he's elite in real or in fantasy football. In this forum we're talking for fantasy purposes. What he is and always has been when it comes to fantasy scoring for QB's is a low end QB1. He's good and has his moments, but never has he put together an elite fantasy football season. At seasons end he most likely will finish somewhere between QB 8-12

Sorry that we've hijacked the Achane thread with Kirk Cousins talk. Let's get it back on track. This kid is dynamite! What can we expect going forward? Let's put the over/under at about 15 touches a game (12-13 carries and 2-3 receptions on average). He doesn't seem to need a workhorse role to be a superstar producer. Heck, he's already shown that after the past two weeks. Can he finish as a top 10 RB with only this many touches? I think he can. I know it's only two weeks, but man he looks good! It's better to get on board early than to miss the boat completely, so I'm going to say he's a must start going forward.

I had no idea how tough this guy runs

Some of us pointed this out last week when that game's highlights were posted. CJ2K very similar. It's not how big you are, it's how big you play. There are plenty of examples of the other side of this too.

I will add he is one of the few rbs that isn't necessarily touch dependant. Meaning he doesnt need his 20 touches to be fantasy relevant. Dudes so explosive.

He is easily in my top 10 for ROS. I don't think usage is a concern at all. At a minimum this guy is touching the ball 15 times weekly, and in this offense the per touch value is higher than any other offense (similar to Aiyuk). Mostert has always had a few good games. Mostert will be 32 soon, and has been injured more than being healthy. From a health standpoint there is no one else in the top 10 that carries less health risk - really young guys generally stay more healthy than the old guard.

The ceiling is the moon, but I just think his floor is higher than others I've seen comment on. 15 touches is conservative. and that is more than enough for a high floor in this offense.

NFL Rookies: Top 15 highest-graded players after Week 4

Excerpt:

1. RB DE’VON ACHANE, MIAMI DOLPHINS: 93.5

The talented first-year back built off his incredible Week 3 performance, racking up 101 rushing yards on just eight carries en route to his second 90.0-plus rushing grade.

Achane doesn't just lead the rookie class, as he leads all running backs in rushing grade through four weeks. His 94.6 rushing grade is more than 8.5 grading points better than the next closest mark.

Thought about offering him for Bijan this week but couldn't do it without adding to the Brob side (that Miami offense is just too juicy compared to ATL) and now I don't think i could do even that. This is too fun/exciting.

Even when I have my doubts his ability jumps off the screen. Legit.
That cut back and gone. Early in his career he's that guy that just needs a sliver to break one. Fun to watch. My opinion has come full circle on him.
I underestimated him badly. Oof. Not grabbing him when I had the chance a couple of weeks ago will be one of the reasons I don’t win the league this year. He’s putting up monster points every week.

I had no chance at him in any format, but I, too, underestimated him. I did say I wanted to draft whomever the Dolphins took at RB, but he’s exceeded my expectations.

Damn. 🅰️⛓️ dealing with a knee issue.

I didn’t even know he got hurt in the game.

@DavidFurones_

Mike McDaniel said it's more of a knee than ankle with De'Von Achane. Dolphins are evaluating it. It's still early in the process.
187lb NFL RB things. Speed backs that small are fun to watch but not built to last.

Between Mostert, Wilson and Achane, McDaniel should be able to cobble together one starter from that fragile bunch this season.

Users who are viewing this thread