What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Gus Edwards, LAC (1 Viewer)

do you pay a guy to cut your grass and then say “hey, why didn’t you trim the trees?”

It’s an email….not a text alert…we get analysis….that’s the job

My lawn being cut doesn't require time sensitive news updates from a paid service. Honestly, I don't even know what you are trying to say here. 

I mean, even if he wasn’t, I don’t expect any single source to be omnipresent.

One thing I’ve noticed is that FBG tends to wait until injuries are confirmed.

I could see both sides of this one - some want the fastest information. Some want the most accurate. 

I’d hate to drop a player and add a player then find out it was over a meaningless bump or bruise. 

I’m not really defending Joe so much as the quality of service I get from FBG. I’ve certainly been apprised of injuries from them faster than others in the past. 

There’s a lot of news out there. Not every service is going to scoop it every time. 
The only thing I will say to this is that most of the time FBG's motto has been you will know what we know when we know.  Many times I have received an email saying player x was hurt at practice but that they don't know the extent of the injury followed by the statement "you will know what we know"

The only thing I will say to this is that most of the time FBG's motto has been you will know what we know when we know.  Many times I have received an email saying player x was hurt at practice but that they don't know the extent of the injury followed by the statement "you will know what we know"

That’s my experience as well.

if I want low accuracy knee-jerk reporting, there’s always Rotoworld. 

My lawn being cut doesn't require time sensitive news updates from a paid service. Honestly, I don't even know what you are trying to say here. 
“The Biggest Stories in Football. Summarized, explained, and delivered straight to your inbox. ”

You expect summarization explanation and analysis in an instant?

So, I didn't draft a kicker in one league and haven't known who to drop.  Should I drop Edwards??  Yahoo only has him listed as Doubful (🤬🤬) so I can't IR him.

I'm getting lost in discussion about FBG service rather than discussions regarding Edwards.  Would anyone just drop Edwards right this moment or would you wait?

Getting things back on track...

Does anyone have insight into the Ravens' practice field?  I mean it feels like the gardening dept needs to answer some questions on that turf.

“The Biggest Stories in Football. Summarized, explained, and delivered straight to your inbox. ”

You expect summarization explanation and analysis in an instant?
I would take "Looks like Gus Edwards ####ed up his knee and we don't know how bad it is" an hour earlier than I got it. I never said I wanted his xray and MRI results 

I have a feeling the back to get most of the carries isn't on Baltimore's roster currently. The bigger issue nobody is mentioning is they now have lost all their backs used to the Greg Roman "Pistol 'n Counter" offense. Ty'Son sure as hell doesn't know it like Dobbins/Hill/Edwards did, and Bell and Devonta Freeman don't know it. Plus, we don't know about Ty'Son in pass protection yet, an area most rooks struggle at. I think there's a decent chance Baltimore tries to liberate re-acquire Mark Ingram from Houston before too long.

I'm getting lost in discussion about FBG service rather than discussions regarding Edwards.  Would anyone just drop Edwards right this moment or would you wait?
If I owned Edwards I’d begrudgingly wait for confirmation, IF I was desperate at RB.

that the Ravens immediately signed a RB is probably a bad sign. 

I think there's a decent chance Baltimore tries to liberate re-acquire Mark Ingram from Houston before too long.
That definitely occurred to me as well. 

That Ingram has been leading the committee in HOU makes that an interesting deal. HOU needs to sell jerseys. BAL needs to win games. Who blinks first? 

One thing’s for sure: Baltimore has had one jacked up preseason. 

I get it...Im in a time crunch for it as we have an old run league...with some roster requirements (4RBs, 4WRs...and so on).  Requirements and limits.  You have to have 4 and only 4.  Limited moves on the years with short benches.  Though, the plus to that is a large FA pool.  

In addition, with limited moves...we instituted a "free" preseason move if a player gets injured in preseason.  That includes all the way up to game one.  Of course the official rules are not perfectly clear if that means I have to make the move before kickoff tonight even if my player does not play tonight.

So yeah...I need to make my free move I believe before the kick tonight.  Looking at whether I want to trust Williams will get that work...or do I take the shot that Sermon will get more opportunity in a TD heavy league.

And have to figure that all out before I really have confirmation of an ACL tear.

All while smoking a bunch of chicken leg quarters.

That Ingram has been leading the committee in HOU makes that an interesting deal. HOU needs to sell jerseys. BAL needs to win games. Who blinks first? 

One thing’s for sure: Baltimore has had one jacked up preseason. 
If Baltimore offers Freeman or Bell plus a 4th or 5th, Houston should personally drive Ingram to the airport, sit with him on the plane, and hand deliver him to the Ravens in bubble wrap. I mean Ingram still has some juice left, but that would be a steal for Houston. Baltimore desperately needs a vet RB who knows the system IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Baltimore offers Freeman or Bell plus a 4th or 5th, Houston should personally drive Ingram to the airport, sit with him on the plane, and hand deliver him to the Ravens in bubble wrap. I mean Ingram still has some juice left, but that would be a steal for Houston. Baltimore desperately needs a vet RB who knows the system IMHO.
My gut tells me they will stick with Williams, bell, and Freeman.

Sorry, my 1st time playing fantasy football. I didn't realize their service was immune to criticism. 

If one reads the forum for 5 minutes, I think it's pretty clear we're not immune to criticism.

We'll never be the fastest with breaking news. That's never been our thing. We try to get our folks the best and most timely information balanced against having some content to go with it. This isn't an automated thing for us. This is our people trying to give our customers the best content we can. Thanks. 

Now let's get back to how this affects the Ravens and the other players who are there or may soon be there. 

Really wish that at the least ESPN and Yahoo would change Edwards designation from doubtful to out so I can put him on IR.
That is more up to the Ravens than ESPN.  If the Ravens don't list him as out to the NFL then ESPN won't list him as out on the site.  Those two things are tied together.  It sucks but the logistics of league procedure still has to take place.  

I heard another player got injured on the very next play. damn.

the player not on their roster that's likely to be traded  is Melvin Gordon, AJ Dillon, T. Coleman.

I get it...Im in a time crunch for it as we have an old run league...with some roster requirements (4RBs, 4WRs...and so on).  Requirements and limits.  You have to have 4 and only 4.  Limited moves on the years with short benches.  Though, the plus to that is a large FA pool.  

In addition, with limited moves...we instituted a "free" preseason move if a player gets injured in preseason.  That includes all the way up to game one.  Of course the official rules are not perfectly clear if that means I have to make the move before kickoff tonight even if my player does not play tonight.

So yeah...I need to make my free move I believe before the kick tonight.  Looking at whether I want to trust Williams will get that work...or do I take the shot that Sermon will get more opportunity in a TD heavy league.

And have to figure that all out before I really have confirmation of an ACL tear.

All while smoking a bunch of chicken leg quarters.

I ended up dropping him - I do have good RB depth though.  I was going to drop Zack Moss to pickup a K, but I decided to just drop Edwards.  Sucks still.

All while drinking a beer.  🙃

I ended up dropping him - I do have good RB depth though.  I was going to drop Zack Moss to pickup a K, but I decided to just drop Edwards.  Sucks still.

All while drinking a beer.  🙃
Yes the chicken and now a glass of Blanton's pregame  is helping to dull the pain.  

If one reads the forum for 5 minutes, I think it's pretty clear we're not immune to criticism.

We'll never be the fastest with breaking news. That's never been our thing. We try to get our folks the best and most timely information balanced against having some content to go with it. This isn't an automated thing for us. This is our people trying to give our customers the best content we can. Thanks. 

Now let's get back to how this affects the Ravens and the other players who are there or may soon be there. 

Joe I appreciate your response. In spite of my sarcasm above, I've actually been a subscriber off an on for almost 20 years as I'm sure you can verify- I just think as time has gone by this is one area that you tend to fall short- especially in this day and age if instant information. That said, I still think you all do a great job with the weekly and season content. Thanks for paying attention to my whining, in all honesty you taking time to respond shows that you stand by your product. 

I've got David Johnson parked on the second to last spot on my dynasty roster, so I'm biased, but of all the reasonable possibilities, I think DJ is the best.  Still think he has some gas in the tank.

Joe I appreciate your response. In spite of my sarcasm above, I've actually been a subscriber off an on for almost 20 years as I'm sure you can verify- I just think as time has gone by this is one area that you tend to fall short- especially in this day and age if instant information. That said, I still think you all do a great job with the weekly and season content. Thanks for paying attention to my whining, in all honesty you taking time to respond shows that you stand by your product. 

I agree with this and also, thank you Joe for the clarification earlier in this thread.  I have also been a subscriber for nearly as long and remember FBG used to break news that I could act on and beat my league members to, now, any FBG alerts I get are often hours behind the actual news, which was really starting to annoy me.  I didn't realize that was an intentional decision, and that I need to put more effort into finding other sources.  

JoeyJoeJoeJrShabadoo said:

All good. Thanks for being part of Footballguys and I hope you crush it this year. 

Anyone heard anything on how his rehab is going?  With talk of Dobbins not being ready week 1, seems like a nice late round pickup if he’s gonna be ready to go to start the season.

Dr. Octopus said:
Dobbin’s ahead of Edwards in their recoveries.
Did you hear/read a report or where is that coming from?  

One of the FBG articles suggest Gus is further along.  Gus’s injury sounds like plain ol’ ACL whereas the Dobbins injury was more complex.  

Did you hear/read a report or where is that coming from?  

One of the FBG articles suggest Gus is further along.  Gus’s injury sounds like plain ol’ ACL whereas the Dobbins injury was more complex.  

While Dobbins didn't take place in team drills he was able to work-out on the side at OTAs. Edwards didn't even even attend OTAs.

Both backs suffered an ACL tears - about the same time. Dobbins is claiming he'll be ready for Week 1 (of course that doesn't mean he will) and I have not heard one report saying Edwards will be ready (which doesn't mean he won't).

While Dobbins didn't take place in team drills he was able to work-out on the side at OTAs. Edwards didn't even even attend OTAs.

Both backs suffered an ACL tears - about the same time. Dobbins is claiming he'll be ready for Week 1 (of course that doesn't mean he will) and I have not heard one report saying Edwards will be ready (which doesn't mean he won't).
I agree with this, but Dobbins suffered more damage than Edwards, not just the ACL.  I believe Dobbins also suffered MCL and LCL damage.  Not sure about Edwards whether it was just the ACL.

Can we draw firm conclusions from someone’s absence and OTA’s?

dobbins injury was much more severe.  Unless Edwards has had significant setbacks, it would stand to reason Gus is closer to playing.

dobbins injury was much more severe.  Unless Edwards has had significant setbacks, it would stand to reason Gus is closer to playing.
I’m just reporting what has actually happened - you can draw whatever conclusions you like.

Once the surgeries were completed does it matter which ACL started out worse before the surgery? I really don’t know he answer to that.

I guess we’ll know more once we get closer to the season.

Once the surgeries were completed does it matter which ACL started out worse before the surgery? I really don’t know he answer to that.

I guess we’ll know more once we get closer to the season.
Yes. 
Starting with a normal LCL and Meniscus would seem to make recovery simpler.  

if it were just a matter who had the more torn ACL, I appreciate your point.

Yes. 
Starting with a normal LCL and Meniscus would seem to make recovery simpler.  

if it were just a matter who had the more torn ACL, I appreciate your point.
Does FBG still employee Dr. Gene or someone similar because I’m not sure if that first part is true or not (post-surgery)  - I can make a logical case either way, I think. 

For some reason while there’s plenty of talk about Dobbins I haven’t heard anything about Edwards’ recovery.

Does FBG still employee Dr. Gene or someone similar because I’m not sure if that first part is true or not (post-surgery)  - I can make a logical case either way, I think. 

For some reason while there’s plenty of talk about Dobbins I haven’t heard anything about Edwards’ recovery.
Ok so just to be clear.

I asked if anyone had heard anything on Gus’s recovery.  First you say he’s behind Dobbins in recovery.  Then you say there hasn’t been an update.  

I guess the goal was to consider if Gus is potentially in line for some early season work and could be a spot starter at RB2/Flex.  “I can make a logical case” that Dobbin’s additional injuries won’t affect anything isn’t a compelling argument.  

Nobody knows who's further ahead, because the Ravens will lie about the status of their players as much as any organization ever.

What is known on July 20 is that Dobbins was at the OTAs last month and did some individual work. Edwards wasn't there at all.

I follow that team fairly closely and I have no clue what any of that means for Opening Day. And, unless something bad happens, you're probably not gonna know any more once September hits. I strongly expect that neither plays in any preseason games.

Good luck trying to draft a Ravens RB in FF in August. 

Nobody knows who's further ahead, because the Ravens will lie about the status of their players as much as any organization ever.

What is known on July 20 is that Dobbins was at the OTAs last month and did some individual work. Edwards wasn't there at all.

I follow that team fairly closely and I have no clue what any of that means for Opening Day. And, unless something bad happens, you're probably not gonna know any more once September hits. I strongly expect that neither plays in any preseason games.

Good luck trying to draft a Ravens RB in FF in August. 

perfect scenario for those of us that view Dobbins as a potential league winner, need to keep that ADP as low as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread