What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, DET (2 Viewers)

This thread has tatum bell written all over it
This thread has “instant gratification” and “over reaction” written all over it …

it’s been 3 weeks and this was the first game where he actually was able to play a full set of downs to get into some kind of rhythm, and not come in for a play and than get taken out for a mediocre plodder

They also didn’t call anything creative because of the game script where they had the lead all game. Keep the chains moving, and don’t turn the ball over… if anything this is a positive that the Lions will use him to run up the middle a little more when Montgomery comes back. 4.7 yds a carry is pretty good all things considered for that game

If they were losing to Atlanta Gibbs would have got Atleast 5 targets

So many should have would have could haves it's making my head spin

I guess that's why bijan and Achane and ever other rookie rb that rolled out week 1 has looked like garbage
Bijan had 30 yards this weekend
and he scored the same amount of points as Gibbs in half PPR (and more in PPR). Now do weeks 1 and 2.

This thread has “instant gratification” and “over reaction” written all over it …

it’s been 3 weeks and this was the first game where he actually was able to play a full set of downs to get into some kind of rhythm, and not come in for a play and than get taken out for a mediocre plodder

They also didn’t call anything creative because of the game script where they had the lead all game. Keep the chains moving, and don’t turn the ball over… if anything this is a positive that the Lions will use him to run up the middle a little more when Montgomery comes back. 4.7 yds a carry is pretty good all things considered for that game

I guess that's why bijan and Achane and ever other rookie rb that rolled out week 1 has looked like garbage

Bijan looked great on his 2nd carry in his 1st nfl game

RBs have bad games...that happens. The fact that he's had 3 in a row and the lions feel like they need to baby him because he isn't ready for the nfl tells you alot

and he scored the same amount of points as Gibbs. Now do weeks 1 and 2.
Look I have Bijan too…he’s a better RB and might be the best one in the league. My point is the ridiculous instant gratification of many posters….it’s 3 weeks into his career. I’ve probably been playing this game too long (30 years) and while I always want my players to be top performers week to week I also realize there are ebbs and flows and sometimes growing pains / learning issues / coaches confidence that can delay a rookies impact.

Yes, he hasn’t scored a bunch of points yet but he’s a good receiver, coach likes him and they said they’d bring along slow but have said recently he’d get more work and has done so, he’s talented, they have a good offense and Monty is JAG behind him. I’ll take my chances on situations like this all day, every day. They won’t all work out but I go for upside.

Look I have Bijan too…he’s a better RB and might be the best one in the league. My point is the ridiculous instant gratification of many posters….it’s 3 weeks into his career. I’ve probably been playing this game too long (30 years) and while I always want my players to be top performers week to week I also realize there are ebbs and flows and sometimes growing pains / learning issues / coaches confidence that can delay a rookies impact.

Yes, he hasn’t scored a bunch of points yet but he’s a good receiver, coach likes him and they said they’d bring along slow but have said recently he’d get more work and has done so, he’s talented, they have a good offense and Monty is JAG behind him. I’ll take my chances on situations like this all day, every day. They won’t all work out but I go for upside.
Exactly. Rookies are expected blow up week 1 or 2 now or they are garbage lol 😂

Justin Jefferson and Ja’Marr Chase ruined everyone’s expectations for players. Jefferson might end up being the best WR ever, and Chase was with the same QB he had in college ….

Rookies have all different situations with different coaching staffs, different offenses, different supporting cases, and different QBs

Desmond Ridder is complete garbage and needs to give the ball to his RBs every play, and the Falcons have one of the worst coaches in the league who runs a 1940’s style offense because he is trying to copy what Derrick Henry did for him in TN making him look good, and cover up the fact that he can’t coach.

A number of good points.

Exactly. Rookies are expected blow up week 1 or 2 now or they are garbage lol 😂

Justin Jefferson and Ja’Marr Chase ruined everyone’s expectations for players. Jefferson might end up being the best WR ever, and Chase was with the same QB he had in college ….

Rookies have all different situations with different coaching staffs, different offenses, different supporting cases, and different QBs

Desmond Ridder is complete garbage and needs to give the ball to his RBs every play, and the Falcons have one of the worst coaches in the league who runs a 1940’s style offense because he is trying to copy what Derrick Henry did for him in TN making him look good, and cover up the fact that he can’t coach.

So many people in this thread think he is the 2nd coming well on his way to at least a 1500 total yard season...he better pick up the pace as he's already behind Achane

I can honestly say that I don’t think he’s the 2nd coming or anywhere close. I think he can be a top 10 back if things break right

Some plays he goes down like a swatted fly, others he runs angry. Did not like his between the tackle runs and they didn’t give it to him from the 4

I’m pretty disappointed that I fell asleep during the game yesterday. But ,from the little I seen and what I’ve read, it seems as if the fall down and the drop might’ve gave Goff some hesitation to look his way. He was open a few times up the sideline and Goff never even looked at him. If they clean that up gibbs could’ve had a very good day. It didn’t happen but he should’ve had 3-5 (including the 3 open plays I seen and the drop/fall) more catches and room to run on almost all of them.
This is now the 3rd game in a row Ive heard this. Like the poster said before these are starting to sound more like negatives than positives.
My post was a negative aspect. But, there is reasons to be optimistic. He clearly has work to do and at the same time he is clearly a talented rb.

It's a mixed bag. How about pose a scanrio (to avoid the ***-coach designation)

Let's say you have 3 guys / 2 spots - i.e. RB2 and Flex (CMac or similar clear RB1)

Jacobs was supposed to be RB 2 w/ Swift/Gibbs competeing for flex.

Swift and Gibbs have not lit up the scoreboard but the look is there. Big games won't be a shocker.
Jacobs on the other hand looks like he's screwed. Nothing but a couple of garbage runs/catches against Pitt's prevent D

RB points are scarce this year.

It's a mixed bag. How about pose a scanrio (to avoid the ***-coach designation)

Let's say you have 3 guys / 2 spots - i.e. RB2 and Flex (CMac or similar clear RB1)

Jacobs was supposed to be RB 2 w/ Swift/Gibbs competeing for flex.

Swift and Gibbs have not lit up the scoreboard but the look is there. Big games won't be a shocker.
Jacobs on the other hand looks like he's screwed. Nothing but a couple of garbage runs/catches against Pitt's prevent D

RB points are scarce this year.
Id rather have Jacobs and Swift than Gibbs if thats what youre asking. I dont think its even close.

@TomPelissero

Correction: #Lions RB David Montgomery and LT Taylor Decker ARE playing tonight against the #Packers. CB Emmanuel Moseley is NOT playing.

There was a miscommunication, and I will just have to eat this one. I apologize for the error.

"Mr. GIbbs, I'd like you to meet... Mohamet, Jugdish, Sidney, and Clayton."
Not enough likes in the world for this.

Bravo!

@TomPelissero

Correction: #Lions RB David Montgomery and LT Taylor Decker ARE playing tonight against the #Packers. CB Emmanuel Moseley is NOT playing.

There was a miscommunication, and I will just have to eat this one. I apologize for the error.
Tommy P doing his part to keep this thread spicy!

Detroit is to highly drafted rb’s what the Jets are to highly drafted QB’s.
Last year they sustained a RB1 in Jamaal and a RB2 in Swift.
Jamaal wasn't highly drafted nor was he drafted by the Lions, and Swift didn't live up to expectations with them.

Here are the other RBs they've drafted in the first 2 rounds since Barry: Swift, Kerryon Johnson, Ameer Abdullah, Mikel Leshoure, Jahvid Best, and Kevin Jones. If you stretch it out to round 3 it adds Kevin Smith, Brian Calhoun, and Reuben Droughns.

It's a new regime so wouldn't put much stock in it at all, but it's pretty fugly.

Jamaal wasn't highly drafted nor was he drafted by the Lions, and Swift didn't live up to expectations with them.

Here are the other RBs they've drafted in the first 2 rounds since Barry: Swift, Kerryon Johnson, Ameer Abdullah, Mikel Leshoure, Jahvid Best, and Kevin Jones. If you stretch it out to round 3 it adds Kevin Smith, Brian Calhoun, and Reuben Droughns.

It's a new regime so wouldn't put much stock in it at all, but it's pretty fugly.

So a couple of late first round RBs (both taken 30th) + 2nd rounders.

Would you judge that to be equivalent to whiffing on the most important position three times over 12 years with a Top 5 pick? Because that’s the genesis of this back n forth.
they both have the anti-Midas touch at those positions is my thesis

Would you judge that to be equivalent to whiffing on the most important position three times over 12 years with a Top 5 pick? Because that’s the genesis of this back n forth.
they both have the anti-Midas touch at those positions is my thesis
Your thesis advisor wants you to go back to formula.

No, I would not equate them, and I pointed out that it's a different regime as well. I certainly wouldn't try to counter it with the FF performance of Williams and Swift last year, which was the genesis of my response.

Wow, I got caught drinking the Kool-Aid on this guy. Most explosive bust ever.

Hoping for some garbage time stats I guess.

Fantasy has passed me by. I drafted a backup RB in 3rd round. Every week I complain and every fantasy site still keeps calling him a buy low. Lunacy.

He's a BACKUP. Treat him the same as a handcuff now. I'm moving on after this week.

Users who are viewing this thread