What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, DET (1 Viewer)

… he’s just a JAG.
LOL he's not needed. You're being reactionary and not analytical.

He may be JAG but we don't have near enough information to know if he is or isn't. Fantasy players completely fell in love with his #12 draft position and completely ignored the contract they gave Monty.

People also dismissed Monty's talent. He's a much better RB than petulant fantasy managers ever gave him credit for.

This is what happens when you try to wish your dreams into existence.
If he's not needed, then why spend the #12 pick on him? After they signed Montgomery, no less.
Because the Lions FO clearly takes the long view.

They did draft a guy with a busted wheel at #9 last year after all.
I am the one who brought that example up several months ago, and I was on an island at the time. That said, all that "proves" is that they are willing to take the long view with a player, not that they're planning on it. It certainly seems like an outlier situation, in fact that was one of the several counter-points to my posts- the Lions were "rebuilding" when they took Jameson, so it made sense to play the long game, but now they're contenders so it doesn't. Also, we've heard of plenty of "project" WRs, QBs, TEs, etc.- how many times have we heard of a "project" RB, especially taken with such a high draft pick? That simply isn't the NFL, RBs are expected to come in and contribute right away, and their much shorter career expectancy points to using them up and spitting them out, not playing the long game and signing them to a 2nd contract. They have several rookies playing key roles right now as well, it just doesn't make sense that they would use their highest pick on the least valuable and easiest to get acclimated position with the long game in mind while using lower picks on more difficult positions and relying on them heavily right away.

Again, occam's razor certainly seems to apply here- he simply hasn't performed up to expectations, therefore he isn't getting used as much as expected. Unfortunately it looks like it on the field as well.

I’m done with Gibbs.
Premature Gibbsulation isn't the answer. You probably spent the 1.02 on Gibbs in your dynasty rookie draft or early in redraft and you're giving up now? You just need to understand what kind of player Gibbs is and how the Lions want to use him. He still has lots of value in PPR leagues going forward, but you need to understand what you have in Gibbs and I don't think you do.

Last edited:
I’m done with Gibbs.
Premature Gibbsulation isn't the answer. You probably spent the 1.02 on Gibbs and you're giving up now? You just need to understand what kind of player Gibbs is and how the Lions want to use him. He still has lots of value in PPR leagues going forward, but you need to understand what you have in Gibbs and I don't think you do.
I would agree with every word of this post if I was in a dynasty league, but I own him in a 12 team redraft. I spent an early 4th on him. The PPR potential is there for sure, but Monty’s usage last night, coming off an injury, was very revealing.

I probably should’ve known better watching Jamaal Williams usage last year. Campbell LOVES to pound the rock and Monty does that better. Monty is JAG but he runs hard and is a vet.

9 points isn’t the worst given his limited touches but he can’t be relied on for the foreseeable future unfortunately. I don’t think it’s a talent issue as he ran well the couple times they gave him the ball ( ran for 5 ypc on his 8 carries).

I think it’s a style issue and Campbell seems to love the between tackle grinder that moves the chains and the clock and last night wasn’t the game script. If they were behind it’s likely a completely different usage but it’s tough to start a guy dependent on game score.
I believe that was mentioned when Gibbs was drafted. I obtained one share of Gibbs recently by trading Aiyuk and a 4th for Gibbs and a 2nd and I'm still fine with that, because I knew what I was getting into with Gibbs. In a PPR league Gibbs still hold a lot of value even though I knew he wouldn't be a pounder. Those of you who drafted Gibbs thinking otherwise, had rose colored glasses on. Going forward, if it isn't Monty, it will be someone else.
Ya, it could be a Damien Harris or a host of other players. Gibbs would’ve been a great pick on old Detroit teams where theyre getting blown out and chasing the game but this team is in every game or leading so if it ain’t broke Campbells not gonna fix it. They are thrilled by the win on the road and I wouldn’t expect anything to change usage wise.

I bought into the mindset that they aren’t going to go out and spend high draft capital around a guy and not focus the offense around him. I was wrong. Sucks but you have to recognize it and change gears.
The Saints were 11-5 in 2017 and won the South. I don't think game script is the issue. It's that Campbell/Johnson aren't running a Payton/Carmichael offense despite claiming their selection of Gibbs was to fill the "Kamara" role. There really isn't a Kamara role.

I was really high on Gibbs all off-season, and still am on his long term future, but I repeatedly and often said he was not a bell cow. Now I expected more then we are getting and I'm disappointed like everyone else but if he's being used as a bell cow I think he's being misused.

I also said at one point the worst outcome for him would be if he got drafted by a team who due to pass protection issues would not want to use him on third down or if a team viewed him as more of a weapon. The draft capital he got washed away those concerns for me, as you don't typically use a 12th overall pick on a RB/weapon or take a RB that high you know is not great at pass protection and then proceed to have that as a reason to not use him. Hate to say those worst case concerns have reared their ugly head and here we are.

My lord, the fantasy pundits still calling him a buy low

I'm not saying I'd buy low just yet. But he's the classic situation. Lots of talent and high draft capital underused on a big stage.

I keep hearing Gibbs has "Lots of talent" I keep watching but really don`t see it...yet. Right now Gibbs looks like a guy who would be a second or third rd RB pick. Not seeing a 12th overall talent..yet.

I am sure Gibbs will have more production going forward, I know he won`t get goal line carries but I was expecting 5-6 receptions a game, screen passes, quick check downs. When drafted all they talking about was his receiving skills. Looks like Goff does not trust him yet.
You're blaming him for not getting targets in space?

I'm not saying I'd buy low just yet. But he's the classic situation. Lots of talent and high draft capital underused on a big stage.
I agree with your theory but when you watch Detroit it looks like Gibbs is not part of the game plan
We have had the luxury of watching the Lions on opening night, last night, plus a couple home games and it doesn't look like Gibbs is forcing his way into more snaps/touches

I keep hearing Gibbs has "Lots of talent" I keep watching but really don`t see it...yet. Right now Gibbs looks like a guy who would be a second or third rd RB pick. Not seeing a 12th overall talent..yet.

Yeah
All his touches week 4

If someone told me these were JD McKissick highlights, I would believe. I thought his footing looked tentative on almost all those plays except the first one.

Plus, and this is no small thing, the Lions were protecting a big lead from kickoff, it felt like. They weren't trying to break 40 yard screen passes, they were trying to get 4 yards per carry up the gut. Montgomery better at that.

I am sure Gibbs will have more production going forward, I know he won`t get goal line carries but I was expecting 5-6 receptions a game, screen passes, quick check downs. When drafted all they talking about was his receiving skills. Looks like Goff does not trust him yet.
Me neither. The reason guys like Kamara are studs is not only usage in passing game but doing stuff when the ball gets in their hands. Swift another great example. 8 TDs last year and I doubt many of them were within the 5 yard line. This guy has 18 catches for 70 yds. He does not look as good as people claim.

Im guessing the Lions see what most of us non-biased folks see. The guy is just not that good right now. Why take him off the field for a more complete back?

Im guessing the Lions see what most of us non-biased folks see. The guy is just not that good right now. Why take him off the field for a more complete back?
Not defending his results or performance, its on him to deliver with what he's given

But the "why" to your question would be, reps to aide his development so he can get better.

He is a rookie, with greatly diminished training camp reps due to the CBA and preseason game reps due to modern NFL culture.

The why would also be, to manage Monty a bit even if he is your clear 1 and Gibbs now a 2, as opposed to a 1A. Monty has already missed a game due to injury.

Here are the two real questions in my opinion:

"If you have Gibbs on your team right now in a half point ppr redraft league, what’s the worst running back you would accept in return on a straight up trade?“

And, of course, the opposite real question is this:

“if you want to acquire Gibbs for your team right now in a half point ppr redraft league, what’s the best running back you would give up in return on a straight up trade?“

Some fantasy owners have a bias towards their own players (ie a Gibbs owner saying Montgomery is terrible because his YPC < 4).

I guess, but I think most here are reasonable.

I'll assume the best and that you're not doing it but I see tons of the "I can see the truth here clearly because I'm not biased like you obviously wrong people are" on Twitter and other places.

thinking about moving Gibbs for Javonte Williams in my keeper league... there are producing about the same... and Get to potentially keep Javonte Williams next year for $25 (I would get to keep Jonathan Taylor and Javonte Williams for $25 each potentially for next year which could ending being great)... I am 0-3 so gotta think long term as well at this point... but Williams is atleast getting the volume that Gibbs isn't getting...

Gibbs would be worth $39 next year as a keeper... so more expensive and Montgomery will still be there next year to ruin his fantasy value lol... still love the player but losing this year bad because of Fields and Gibbs not living up to expectations :wall:

it's so funny last two years i did zero research and ended up in 3 out of 4 championships.... this year i did a lot of research and am in dead last in my league lol :ROFLMAO: ... Fantasy football is 80% luck and 20% skill

Last edited:

"If you have Gibbs on your team right now in a half point ppr redraft league, what’s the worst running back you would accept in return on a straight up trade?“

“if you want to acquire Gibbs for your team right now in a half point ppr redraft league, what’s the best running back you would give up in return on a straight up trade?“
I don't own Gibbs but I would consider trading McKinnon or Mitchell for him.

In my non-ppr CBSSPORTS 14 team league, Gibbs' projection rest of season is RB 30, just behind Rachaad White, Mattison, Moss, Javonte, and Pacheco. Move Gibbs up a little in ppr. I'd take Pacheco if I had Gibbs, both are in good offenses and have upside.

I think this is a situation where we should've followed the money. They didn't pay Montgomery millions to ride the bench. I got caught up in the hype too about Gibbs and drafted him in one league, but I had my doubts and only took him because he fell a bit.

Have there been other situations where a team paid millions to an RB and didn't use them?

Some fantasy owners have a bias towards their own players (ie a Gibbs owner saying Montgomery is terrible because his YPC < 4).

I guess, but I think most here are reasonable.

I'll assume the best and that you're not doing it but I see tons of the "I can see the truth here clearly because I'm not biased like you obviously wrong people are" on Twitter and other places.
I was referring to Twitter which is what the original poster was referring to and I clearly said "US" in my post.

This is by far the biggest bust pick I've ever made in fantasy. I blame myself for not doing the research. As I've gotten older I've had less time to research every player and rely on the Draft Dominator app. Ever since I've had horrible drafts year after year. This year tales the cake. My team is horrendous and taking this guy in the 3rd is reason #1. Not blaming the app, blaming myself for using it. No more.
So can you show me, had you done your full research, where is the info that would have knocked Gibbs farther down your list?
I would've realized this same EXACT story played out last year. I would've realized they gave Monty a $18m contract. I would've realized he is a tiny running back that went a lot higher in the draft than anyone expected.
Realizing it and acting on it are two different things.

I believed Monty would finish the season with more fantasy points than Gibbs but I also realized if I wanted both Monty & Gibbs, which I did, I would have to draft Gibbs first because of ADP driven by a mistaken belief that Gibbs would be featured.

Didn't work out for me.

Such is life.

Yeah
All his touches week 4

If someone told me these were JD McKissick highlights, I would believe. I thought his footing looked tentative on almost all those plays except the first one.

Plus, and this is no small thing, the Lions were protecting a big lead from kickoff, it felt like. They weren't trying to break 40 yard screen passes, they were trying to get 4 yards per carry up the gut. Montgomery better at that.
Thanks for the link. I didnt watch the game at all last night.

What I see here does not remind me of McKissick at all. McKissick would have caught those passes Gibbs dropped.

The play where Gibbs slips and loses his footing before the ball arrives is all on him. I cant really explain why this happens. He just falls down before the ball gets there for no reason.

He was going to get blown up after the catch most likely with the defender barreling down but thats what he needs to do. Catch the ball then try to make a move if he can.

Maybe after more practice Goff and Gibbs will improve their timing with these plays and Goff can place the ball a bit better so Gibbs can catch it more in stride to be able to make a play after the catch. Thats not there yet.

Some of the other receptions went exactly like this. They are not bad design, but the defender reads it and is right there to make the play.

The reception Gibbs drops at the end is just on him. He needs to catch that.

I thought his runs looked fine.

I am on my phone so small screen and Im not watching half speed where I can pick up more little things, but thats what I saw

I don't own Gibbs but I would consider trading McKinnon or Mitchell for him.
Oof

For 2023 leagues only, I would consider Jaylen Warren for Gibbs. I'd also consider any decent WR, from a team that needs RB help(or has Monty). I got Pacheco and K Williams, and Bijan as my RB1. Warren and Gibbs do about the same things, Warren seems to get more yards tho.

As soon as I trade Gibbs, or bench him, he will have that kinda day most thought he could.

Yeah
All his touches week 4

I guess I look at most of those runs, and I see him pushing through first contact, falling forward. I am happy to see that, considering the size was a serious concern.
The receiving end of those clips is not great. A drop, a couple slips, definitely disappointing.
It's early, we are looking at a 4 game sample size. If you look at every touch so far this year, there is definitely evidence of the acceleration, the balance, and more strength than I expected. I am just going to assume that the passing game chops will show eventually, considering what he showed in college.

Again, multiple different conversations here. Redraft... he is likely to disappoint, especially due to the hype and draft capital. He was ranked and drafted at what was likely his ceiling, and that is bound to cause frustration. Dynasty, I still think he's a strong hold. There is enough there to see that this could be good. I think if you are already prepared to declare him a bust in dynasty, you are probably being a bit impatient for dynasty. Real life football, disappointing, but it's early. If the usage remains the same throughout the entire season, that will definitely leave us Lions fans frustrated. I, like many though, never understood taking a RB at 12, and will likely never feel like that was the best use of the pick. I think he will be productive, but never worth that pick.

I will say, I think most Lions fans who truly follow and understand the game, knew that this was possible. Swift looked like the more explosive and exciting back often last year, but the staff loved to pound Williams up the middle, probably because this OLine is so damn good. It's safe, it's productive, it moves chains and clock. Monty has stepped into that role and it hasn't missed a beat. I imagine like Swift, Gibbs will have some nice games, and once the season is over, it'll add up to a fine RB3/Flex.

I think this is a situation where we should've followed the money. They didn't pay Montgomery millions to ride the bench. I got caught up in the hype too about Gibbs and drafted him in one league, but I had my doubts and only took him because he fell a bit.

Have there been other situations where a team paid millions to an RB and didn't use them?
I can think of one situation where a certain team from Georgia is paying millions to not one but two first round receiving weapons and isn't using them. #stillbitterPittsowner

Gibbs is four games into his career, I am glad so many people have determined what kind of player he is going to be already. I think his role will evolve, and the explosive plays will come. Below are Kamara’s first four games. Things can change quickly.

YRWKOPPOSNAPRSHYDTDTARGRECYDTD
20171MIN31718064200
20172NE1713073510
20173CAR1723715350
20174MIA2652501010711

Gibbs is four games into his career, I am glad so many people have determined what kind of player he is going to be already.
In redraft that's pretty much 25% of the season and people have a right to be upset.
You have a right to feel whatever you want. I didn’t draft him at his ADP because I didn’t think he was getting enough touches with Monty here to warrant the cost. I am trying to trade for him though as I anticipate he will become more valuable as the season goes on.

Gibbs is four games into his career, I am glad so many people have determined what kind of player he is going to be already. I think his role will evolve, and the explosive plays will come. Below are Kamara’s first four games. Things can change quickly.

20171MIN31718064200
20172NE1713073510
20173CAR1723715350
20174MIA2652501010711
Those #s BLOW Gibbs' #s away...

11.25 PPG in half PPR vs 7.9 for Gibbs

I hated the pick for the Lions at the time. Taking Gibbs at 12 overall was lunacy. Imagine that defense with someone like Gonzalez in the fold.
That's the disturbing part, maybe some of us got over hyped on 2nd/3rd round talent but you assumed with DC in charge, this guy would take off quickly
They don't seem to trust Gibbs at all despite a blowout last night
-I thought Gibbs would be perfect to ease the load on Monty in the 2nd Half, yet they just kept handing it to Monty, did I see 30+ carries last night?
WOW!

20171MIN31718064200
20172NE1713073510
20173CAR1723715350
20174MIA2652501010711
Do you think that posting stats from someone who was drafted way later, who was sharing with 2 former 1st round picks for those 4 games, and who still outperformed Gibbs in FF by 40%+ over that period makes Gibbs' owners actually feel better?

Talk me off the ledge, here. First of all, this is a RB crazy league, somewhat because it's 1QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 0 TE, 1 FX, K, DST, so RB's become very important relative to 3WR+1TE or multi-flex/superflex leagues.

I keep offering Quentin Johnston + my '24 first + my '24 second (mid-late), each week, to no avail. I want to offer it again, but how bad is that? Is it truly off-the-charts stupid, or is it within the realm of justifiability?

For reference I have Bijan, Etienne, Swift, plus a bunch of rookies at RB, and at WR I have Lamb, AJ Brown, Garrett Wilson, Dotson, Godwin, Bateman, and of course Johnston.

Talk me off the ledge, here. First of all, this is a RB crazy league, somewhat because it's 1QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 0 TE, 1 FX, K, DST, so RB's become very important relative to 3WR+1TE or multi-flex/superflex leagues.

I keep offering Quentin Johnston + my '24 first + my '24 second (mid-late), each week, to no avail. I want to offer it again, but how bad is that? Is it truly off-the-charts stupid, or is it within the realm of justifiability?

For reference I have Bijan, Etienne, Swift, plus a bunch of rookies at RB, and at WR I have Lamb, AJ Brown, Garrett Wilson, Dotson, Godwin, Bateman, and of course Johnston.
I'd hope you get a heck of a player back for all that. You need to hope QJ goes off in the next couple weeks.

Not sure what you mean there. People can have opinions and not be blinded by "bias."
Montgomery is a different kind of back. Hes the kind you can run 30 times a game and who will wear down a defense.
so his value is in how often you can run the ball with him. The volume of carries is what makes him valuable. the Yards per carry isnt the best way to judge this particular player.
not to say the stat is meaningless. just not as relevant in this case.

That makes a certain amount of sense, but if we're following the money, how much is a 12th overall pick worth in today's NFL? It has to be in millions, if not more, right? And yet the Lions apparently just set their pick on fire on a guy they didn't need and (we now know) had absolutely zero ideas about how to use.

20171MIN31718064200
20172NE1713073510
20173CAR1723715350
20174MIA2652501010711

As a Lion fan I want Gibby to explode and be the weapon he was intended to be. I would like nothing more to see him get 60-60 rushing and receiving Getting some TDs here and there.

With Jameson Williams coming back, and St Brown and LaPorta already having Goffs eye. There is no urgency for production. Only time will tell.

I think there is a strong argument to be made that Detroit may have jumped the gun with the early 1st round selection. However, Gibbs would not have lasted past the early 2nd. Even with that draft capital, we would have expected him to be a top RB prospect. He has talent. It's a matter of Detroit prioritizing his use. Given how well Montgomery has played, I'm sure they're in rush to do so. If you're in redraft, I don't think there's much you can do. You aren't getting anything useable in return. In dynasty, I think he's a strong hold. If an owner is panicking and you can get him for mid 1st value (1 QB), I think you pull the trigger.

I'd hope you get a heck of a player back for all that. You need to hope QJ goes off in the next couple weeks.
Oh and sorry, it probably wasn't clear, but I'm talking about to acquire Gibbs. It's certainly not a "buy low" but more of a "buy at what his price should have been before week 1, yet was never going to happen at fair price".

Its not a bad offer. Basically a 1st, late 1st/early 2nd and a 2nd round pick for Gibbs.

Its not very sexy right now with picks far away though.

Now is the time to buy picks not sell them.

While its ok I can understand why the other manager wants to keep Gibbs. Offer sonething better than QJ and maybe this deal gets done.

Its not a bad offer. Basically a 1st, late 1st/early 2nd and a 2nd round pick for Gibbs.

While its ok I can understand why the other manager wants to keep Gibbs. Offer sonething better than QJ and maybe this deal gets done.
I'll probably offer the same thing again first, in light of last night's misery. Thanks, I know I/we overvalue RB's in our league, and I'm fine with that, just wanted a reality check to make sure I wasn't too far off the deep end now that Gibbs' value is plummeting.

That makes a certain amount of sense, but if we're following the money, how much is a 12th overall pick worth in today's NFL? It has to be in millions, if not more, right? And yet the Lions apparently just set their pick on fire on a guy they didn't need and (we now know) had absolutely zero ideas about how to use.
Its kind of funny how teams do seem to value draft picks differently than players.

Both are somewhat high investments, but in thier view its likely not either or but both.

They might just grind Montgomery into the dust knowing they already have a guy to replace him if he gets hurt and they dont plan on Montgomery being their RB in 2025 anyways.

We have seen that before. DeMarco Murray his last season in Dallas for example.

Its gives them time to develop Gibbs slowly through practice. Teams do pick players for what they can do in the future and maybe they want a full offseason with him before they are actually counting on him to contribute a lot.

Of course they would like to get something out of him now, but are not in a hurry to force that to happen.

I'll probably offer the same thing again first, in light of last night's misery. Thanks, I know I/we overvalue RB's in our league, and I'm fine with that, just wanted a reality check to make sure I wasn't too far off the deep end now that Gibbs' value is plummeting.
Yeah Im not even sure you want to pay that much right now. Just saying what might get it done if you do want them to say yes.

Personally I like having my picks. You look like you have a strong team though and maybe those picks will be late.

In which case I am more looking to swap picks with another owner to juice a deal and get something out of my picks before how late they will be is locked in.

A deal like that would be you give the best player but have them swap their 1st and 2nd round picks for their 1st and 2nd.

20171MIN31718064200
20172NE1713073510
20173CAR1723715350
20174MIA2652501010711

As a Lion fan I want Gibby to explode and be the weapon he was intended to be. I would like nothing more to see him get 60-60 rushing and receiving Getting some TDs here and there.

With Jameson Williams coming back, and St Brown and LaPorta already having Goffs eye. There is no urgency for production. Only time will tell.
Imagine this team with Jalen Carter instead of Gibbs. Wow.

Yeah Im not even sure you want to pay that much right now. Just saying what might get it done if you do want them to say yes.

Personally I like having my picks. You look like you have a strong team though and maybe those picks will be late.

In which case I am more looking to swap picks with another owner to juice a deal and get something out of my picks before how late they will be is locked in.

A deal like that would be you give the best player but have them swap their 1st and 2nd round picks for their 1st and 2nd.
Sorry for thread derail, but yeah, don't get me wrong, I love using picks, I always take BPA, sometimes at great value. Last two drafts (combined together) I have used picks # 1, 8, 9, 11, 13, 18, 18, 19, 19, 20, 20, 21, 22. Lol. But I feel like possibly this is the year I should take off and/or just go for those late seconds again, which can be easy to pry away from people.

I have David Montgomery as my RB5 and avoided Gibbs. I know what I'm doing in this fantasy football world; it's too easy.

Ditto.

That said, I'm going to look to acquire Gibbs next week. Have a funny feeling he gets it together just in time for the fantasy playoffs. Don't think is value gets any lower.

If somebody like a K. Herbert pops this week and suddenly looks like an RB2 maybe Gibbs can be had. I'm hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread