What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Javonte Williams, DEN (1 Viewer)

He was made available for our draft in a 12 team keeper league I’m in, where we keep one per position. Would you consider him as your RB2 if you’re picking outside the top 6 picks?

there's something going on in denver - either they're being very, VERY coy about JW's health , i.e., they know he's ready to absolutely ROLL, or they're taking the slow approach knowing he's on 'schedule' to be the bell cow by week 4-ish.
here's the thing..there are just way too many ppl singing praises of journeyman john averageman S. Perine..I mean, there's a lot of cray-cray going on out there. the guy has not had more than 175 carries in any season in his nfl career. he did in college, but that was 'back in the day'.
this guy might muster 95 carries this season , if that. I'm inclined to believe that JW is ready to roll. They just lost Jeudy. JW was already slated to grab a lot of passes, this just adds to it. a washed up russ basically guarantees that JW gets about 70 recs, if not more, this season. the little dink-n-dunkeroo passes that keep a QB upright and healthy.
and then there's the chance that denver sucks really badly. at what point do they switch to rypien? just saying, he might breathe some life into the offense.
it's truly a buy with the blinders on type deal.yeah you're going into this site unseen. I dont think denver wins a lot, but payton's offenses have always had productive RBs.

He was made available for our draft in a 12 team keeper league I’m in, where we keep one per position. Would you consider him as your RB2 if you’re picking outside the top 6 picks?
Not enough information here. Format? Who else is on the board?
It was a general question. I didn't want this to be in the wrong thread but .5 ppr. QB, 2 RB, 2, WR, TE, Flex starters. So imagine 12 of the top RBs are already taken for the most part.

Coach Sean Payton said Wednesday that Williams will have a "big role" this Sunday against the Raiders, Zac Stevens of TheDNVR.com reports.

"Look, he’s going to play a big role. I haven’t put together a [snap] number for him. … He’s moving well. He’s strong and healthy."

Last edited:
Broncos coach Sean Payton said RB Javonte Williams (knee) will be on a snap count in Week 1 vs the Raiders.

“Look, he’s going to play. I haven’t put together a number for him. He’s moving well. Strong and healthy.” This is the second time Payton has mentioned a snap count for Williams, who was limited to one preseason game while returning from ACL surgery. The Broncos are expected to use all three of Williams, Jaleel McLaughlin, and Samaje Perine in Week 1. Playing on a snap count with workload concerns, Williams doesn’t project as more than a flex play in his first game back.

Remember the good ole days where there was no internet, and you drafted based on what a 4 month old magazine said? I'm now to the point where I don't even believe the players listed as OUT 90 minutes before kickoff!

Remember the good ole days where there was no internet, and you drafted based on what a 4 month old magazine said? I'm now to the point where I don't even believe the players listed as OUT 90 minutes before kickoff!
And the media posting all the “Coach Speak” garbage to throw off Vegas betting lines and cause opposing DC frustration… and using the “USA TODAY” for scoring.

I miss those days …

Broncos coach Sean Payton said RB Javonte Williams (knee) will be on a snap count in Week 1 vs the Raiders.

“Look, he’s going to play. I haven’t put together a number for him. He’s moving well. Strong and healthy.” This is the second time Payton has mentioned a snap count for Williams, who was limited to one preseason game while returning from ACL surgery. The Broncos are expected to use all three of Williams, Jaleel McLaughlin, and Samaje Perine in Week 1. Playing on a snap count with workload concerns, Williams doesn’t project as more than a flex play in his first game back.
That quote is from last Wednesday. Nothing new to see here.

Javonte Williams rushed 13 times for 52 yards in the Broncos’ Week 1 loss to the Raiders, adding five yards on four receptions.

Williams handily led the backfield in opportunities but was out-gained by running mate Samaje Perine, primarily due to the latter’s 37 yards through the air. The good news here was the opportunity share in Williams’ first game back after suffering a torn ACL in Week 4 of the 2022 season, meaning better days are likely to come for the electric second-year back. Williams is likely to continue to cede some passing work to Perine, but the two can coexist with the level of efficiency they displayed in Week 1.

- Rotoworld

Is this backfield going to be a split between Javonte and Perine? Thought Perine looked pretty good in the few red zone clips I saw yesterday.

Is this backfield going to be a split between Javonte and Perine? Thought Perine looked pretty good in the few red zone clips I saw yesterday.
Every backfield is a split of some sort, I don't think this will be any "worse" than normal. Javonte's first game back and they said he'd be on a pitch-count. Perine is a decent back-up but that's what he is.

I'm slightly more concerned about the lack of offense against a weak defense, although if they keep throwing to the RBs that much it'll give him a decent floor at least.

Russ WIlson threw for a buck77 against a team that went 6-11 last year, not doing his RB any favors by not keeping defenses honest.
His top receiver was Perine if I read the box stats right, can't say I watched much of this game.
Sounds like it was a pretty boring affair

Javonte 13 carries
Perine 8 carries

Williams will have better games as he recovers from the ligament tears last year.

Get this guy down to sea level so at least he has a chance to make a difference in a game, because the Mile High City isn't good for him. Is he fools gold or is DEN just clueless on how to call a game? Last year, I thought it was latter....but with Peyton in there, I'm beginning to wonder if this guy isn't as cracked up as some of us think.

Get this guy down to sea level so at least he has a chance to make a difference in a game, because the Mile High City isn't good for him. Is he fools gold or is DEN just clueless on how to call a game? Last year, I thought it was latter....but with Peyton in there, I'm beginning to wonder if this guy isn't as cracked up as some of us think.

I can’t speak to the game plan but JWilliams had most of the carries. 44 yards isn’t bad either.

Time to move him into the 30-35 range for now. It will get better, but until Russ gets benched it's not worth putting him out for 40-60 yards a game.

With Nico Collins taking a major back seat last week to Tank Dell, and Nico having a tough matchup, and Javonte having a cake matchup, I’m rolling with Javonte at flex. If he doesn’t produce here, I’ll drop him, as he’ll never crack my lineup again.

With Nico Collins taking a major back seat last week to Tank Dell, and Nico having a tough matchup, and Javonte having a cake matchup, I’m rolling with Javonte at flex. If he doesn’t produce here, I’ll drop him, as he’ll never crack my lineup again.

An 8 team league?

I am trying to trade for Williams in a 12 teamer.

Alex Caruso
Javonte Williams is a low key Buy Low

Touches by Week:
Week 1: 19
Week 2: 15
Week 3: 15

He will only get healthier and RBs seeing that level of volume always produce
He will only get healthier playing in NFL games seems like a strange argument to me.
Each week he shakes the rust off more and gets healthier/stronger. Makes sense to me. Buy low

Alex Caruso

Touches by Week:

He will only get healthier playing in NFL games seems like a strange argument to me.
Each week he shakes the rust off more and gets healthier/stronger. Makes sense to me. Buy low
Yes I understand the intent of the statement.

But getting healthier is not the only thing that could happen is my point.

Alex Caruso

Touches by Week:

Yes I understand the intent of the statement.

But getting healthier is not the only thing that could happen is my point.
i hear you - he definitely can get injured but each week lowers the risk to any other player as he gets further from the injury. IMO

An 8 team league?

12 team league. Aside from Javonte, I drafted well, and have worked the waiver wire pretty good as well. In my full point PPR, he has gotten me 9.7, 7.8, and 8.5 points for the first three weeks. If this week he again fails to score double digit points, against the worst team in the league, why am I holding onto him other than name recognition?

An 8 team league?

12 team league. Aside from Javonte, I drafted well, and have worked the waiver wire pretty good as well. In my full point PPR, he has gotten me 9.7, 7.8, and 8.5 points for the first three weeks. If this week he again fails to score double digit points, against the worst team in the league, why am I holding onto him other than name recognition?

He’s averaging 14 touches a week. That’s nothing to sneeze at…

Buy low! I haven't heard about any lingering issues with his knee and he looks pretty good running and catching the ball. SP seems to script the first few series and Javonte does his thing, then Payton goes away from him. It's happened three weeks in a row. Who knows why, maybe because the games become unwinnable and he doesn't want to waste him? Maybe because they're being careful with his knee, but if that was the case why not just put him on IR the first 4 and run with Samaje? Maybe SP is outsmarting himself or trying to see what else he has on O knowing it's a lost season and he has plenty of rope? I don't know, but what I do know is the offense looks better with him on the field than it currently does with Perine or JM. I have a sneaky feeling Williams is going to have a huge 2nd half of the season.

heh sorry man

Even if the injury isn't serious at all, I'm very leery of Javonte's prospects this year (and maybe beyond). Payton didn't draft him and thus has no loyalty to him, while McLaughlin was brought in by Payton. I don't think he cares about draft capital. Now if Javonte significantly outperforms McLaughlin, that's one thing, but we're not seeing that. It might be another year post-ACL that Javonte gets back to the player he was (if that even happens).

Year 3- feels like a wasted dynasty pick given the unfortunate luck. I'm not sure he will ever be a thing but could be a buy low in dynasty

Yea that didn't work out.

Yep, very unfortunate. Dream matchup on paper although the Denver defense let it get out of hand early forcing Denver to throw to catchup for the comeback. Not sure how much work other than receptions JW would have seen had he not gotten injured.

Also likely means McLoughlin will get more than just 1 or 2 touches going forward.

Yep, very unfortunate. Dream matchup on paper although the Denver defense let it get out of hand early forcing Denver to throw to catchup for the comeback. Not sure how much work other than receptions JW would have seen had he not gotten injured.

Also likely means McLoughlin will get more than just 1 or 2 touches going forward.
agreed - the injury doesnt seem to be serious but it opened the door for one of the regime's players to step in - unfortunate.

At minimum it appears McLaughlin has leapfrogged Perine in the pecking order. Not sure 7 carries is enough sample size to declare he’s also passed Williams, but so far McLaughlin has been easily the most efficient and productive of the three thus far. As I said in another thread, Payton loves him some 3-headed RBBC and that may be what we’re headed for. I’d expect all three to be involved from week to week and it could lead to some headaches in fantasy. I would not dump Williams but I would bench him until he shows more, if possible.

This guys is seriously the biggest **** tease in fantasy football:

2021- looked like a stud but MG3 blocked him all season. In the one game MG3 missed, Williams has monster game. Goes back to RBBC right after.
2022- MG3 still there but Williams clearly started taking over and then tears ACL. MG3 released AFTER and ends up on another team's practice squad.
2023- Slowly working his way back from injury. Has a great matchup in which everyone is screaming buy low right before. Injures hip. His backup's backup goes off.

At minimum it appears McLaughlin has leapfrogged Perine in the pecking order. Not sure 7 carries is enough sample size to declare he’s also passed Williams, but so far McLaughlin has been easily the most efficient and productive of the three thus far. As I said in another thread, Payton loves him some 3-headed RBBC and that may be what we’re headed for. I’d expect all three to be involved from week to week and it could lead to some headaches in fantasy. I would not dump Williams but I would bench him until he shows more, if possible.
Yep, plus it's a pretty small pie they're going to be divvying up, despite what the "resident expert" thinks.

Glad I avoided him in redraft, in dynasty it's going about as it should have been expected. It was never realistic to expect him to hit the ground running after that injury.

In the one game MG3 missed, Williams has monster game. Goes back to RBBC right after.

I don’t know the true stats but it seems to me this happens all the time. A minor player has a huge game that no one expects only to effectively disappear in the following weeks or for the rest of the season. In example, David Patten had a career game vs the Colts in 2001 but he was never very productive statistically otherwise. I think if we were to examine (and this would take a lot of work which I’m not doing) a hundred plus instances of big games like Patten’s, we’d discover that these are very frequently statistical anomalies that aren’t worth making rosters moves over. At this point, I don’t chase this stuff unless there is a compelling reason to do so. Puka Nacua is an example where there were other factors to consider. Even then, it only looked like a good bet to acquire and start him. There were no guarantees he’d play so well over four games.

Users who are viewing this thread