What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jaylen Warren, PIT (2 Viewers)

Steelers signed Oklahoma State RB Jaylen Warren.​

Warren (5'8/204) finished a winding college career with a single season at Oklahoma State, rushing for 1,216 yards and 11 touchdowns on 256 carries with 25 catches for 225 yards. He struggled a bit at the Combine, running a 4.55 40 with a 31.5-inch vertical, although he did improve that to 34 inches at his Pro Day. Warren looked at home in the Cowboys' zone scheme, consistently finding the open space available to him. He lacks above-average power, however, and does not have the lateral agility or change of direction skills to consistently make people miss and create yards for himself at the next level. Warren is a solid back who is likely to get what is blocked if given the opportunity, but he should max out as a solid depth option in the NFL.
SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
Apr 30, 2022, 7:17 PM ET

ESPN's Brooke Pryor writes Steelers undrafted rookie RB Jaylen Warren looks like he has "real staying power."​

"Warren isn’t just a flash in the pan," Pryor writes. "Preseason games will be a big indicator." Warren did not test well at the Combine, but he produced a 256-1,216-11 line in his final college season and looked like a solid back. With no established answers behind Najee Harris on the depth chart, Warren could earn the backup job with a big August.
SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter
Aug 11, 2022, 3:20 PM ET

Steelers undrafted rookie RB Jaylen Warren worked with the first-team offense at Monday's practice.​

Warren has been one of the brightest stars of Steelers camp and produced in the preseason opener with six carries for 34 yards (5.7 YPC) and a 4-30-1 receiving line on five targets. He was the second back in the game behind Anthony McFarland while Najee Harris rested with the other key starters. Warren looks like he's going to make the team and is worth a flier in Dynasty formats.
SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter
Aug 15, 2022, 7:54 PM ET

Last year, Najee Harris led the NFL in touches.

Najee Harris will once again lead the NFL in touches

Few NFL RBs log the amount of work Harris did last year without suffering at least one injury that kept them off the field.
The Steeler backup RBs were not great, they needed a backup RB and drafted Jaylen Warren who has flashed in the preseason.
I took a shot on James Conner when the Steelers had All-Pro RB Le'Veon Bell.
Jaylen 'should' be available late in rookie drafts and 'might' have nice upside.

Stock Watch 2022 - RB Jaylen Warren Stock Up?

Warren looked really good on Saturday and so did Anthony McFarland. Not sure if it was them or a bad Seattle defense but it was encouraging. Hopefully they continue to look good and the Steelers can cut bait on Benny Snell.

DK Pittsburgh Sports' Dale Lolley observes that it "appears" undrafted rookie Jaylen Warren has supplanted Benny Snell as the Steelers' No. 2 running back.​

Warren shined in the Steelers' preseason opener after garnering practice hype since training camp kicked off. Snell missed that exhibition and has been battling a bit of an injury, though he's practicing Thursday. Warren looks to be Najee Harris' direct backup, but we'd envision some sort of committee approach should Harris ever miss time. Still, Warren is certainly worthy of at least being rostered in dynasty formats. Lolley believes both Warren and Snell have earned roster spots behind Harris. Anthony McFarland is competing for another one.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Dale Lolley on Twitter
Aug 18, 2022, 3:11 PM ET

Jacob Gibbs
@jagibbs_23
Preseason avoided tackle rate rookie leaders:
89% — Jaylen Warren

46% — Rachaad White
43% — James Cook
40% — Dameon Pierce, Malik Willis, Trestan Ebner
39% — Hassan Haskins
33% — Tyler Allgeier, Jerome Ford
25% — TDP
22% — Breece Hall
16% — Isiah Pacheco
15% — Isaiah Spiller

Drafted Warren with my last pick last night and have to decide whether to keep him or Gainwell (PPR league).

McFarland was cut yesterday (since re-signed back to the practice squad) and while Snell remains the primary backup to Najee, he hasn’t exactly impressed.

Mentioned him in the RB lottery ticket thread - he clearly would only have value if Najee goes down, but any thoughts to him being a high upside stash?

Grabbed him with my last pick just now, seems worth the gamble to see how the backfield/offence in general looks, probably throw him back in a couple of weeks if Najee's still getting a trillion carries, the line sucks, the QBing sucks, or all of the above but seems clear injury upside stash for now

Drafted Warren with my last pick last night and have to decide whether to keep him or Gainwell (PPR league).

McFarland was cut yesterday (since re-signed back to the practice squad) and while Snell remains the primary backup to Najee, he hasn’t exactly impressed.

Mentioned him in the RB lottery ticket thread - he clearly would only have value if Najee goes down, but any thoughts to him being a high upside stash?
I like the potential payoff better with Warren. He's looked a lot better than Pittsburgh's other options to me, so I like him for a sizeable role if Najee was out. That's just my opinion, not definite how the Steelers would use their backs in that scenario. We have large rosters, so he makes sense for my team.

Gainwell seems to be a better fit if you've got smaller rosters and need someone usable to plug in. The Eagles seem to like using 2 guys, so he's not going to seize the majority of work from Sanders or Scott most likely. He'll probably keep you from a goose egg, but he's also not likely to give you what Warren could if he had Najee's workload.

Really just depends on your roster and what you feel your team needs. Sometimes I may opt for a guy like Gainwell if I already have a couple lotto types like Warren also.

Jaylen Warren is listed as the Steelers' RB2 behind Najee Harris on the team's official depth chart.​

Consider it official. The rookie UDFA who wowed in training camp and during the preseason earned a spot on the 53-man roster and is now the backup to Najee Harris. When Harris is active, the Steelers' RB2 offers little upside from a fantasy perspective. However, Warren has proven capable of working as both a runner and receiver and is an interesting late-round target in the final week of drafts -- especially for Zero RB drafters.
SOURCE: Josh Carney on Twitter
Sep 5, 2022, 4:40 PM ET

I went to Steelers practice earlier, even before Warren was a thing. I said, who's that little #30 there? He's not a guy who you would think is good before you watch him play. But he's sneaky. While all the other guys were getting blown up behind the line half the time, Warren would make something happen every play, I'm not kidding. He has that Jedi awareness where he knows what to do.

Austin Ekeler would be a lazy comp, I think. He's built more like James Robinson, but plays more like the undrafted version of Maurice Jones-Drew. I think it says something that this muscle rabitt is already #2 on the depth chart despite his humble beginnings.

If Tomlin was smart, he's spelling Harris some with Warren. I get why last year he didn't want to put in that bum Snell unless he had to. Now there is a capable back up. But I also know Tomlin is behind the curve for preferring a bell cow all the time. At a minimum, Warren is a great handcuff to Harris, that's worth something at least.

Jaylen Warren rushed three times for seven yards in the Steelers' Week 1 win over the Bengals.

Warren had an uneventful Week 1, but Najee Harris was ruled out with a foot injury he suffered shortly before overtime. Warren would be a fill-in RB2 option if Harris misses Week 2. The Steelers won't project for a huge day against the Patriots, but Warren was the only other back besides Harris to record a touch in Week 1.

- NBCSportsEDGE

With Harris dealing with a foot injury, the Steelers could siphon some of his workload in the coming weeks, increasing reps for rookie Jaylen Warren.
Tomlin told reporters Tuesday he was encouraged by Warren's first NFL action.
"He didn't urinate down his leg, that's a great place to begin," Tomlin said. "That's why he's gone undrafted to carving out a role for himself. No circumstance has been too big for him. He was competitive on Sunday. Good for him, good for us."
:lol:

Jaylen Warren rushed four times for 30 yards in the Steelers' Week 3 loss to the Browns, adding a three-yard reception.​

Warren posted only 26 fewer yards than Najee Harris on 11 fewer carries. He also had a 35-yard gain on a shovel pass called back by penalty. All four of Warren's rushes gained at least six yards. That had to catch the Steelers coaching staff's attention as Harris continued to appear stuck in quicksand, but Warren's second quarter fumble surely did, too. Thankfully Pittsburgh recovered. Harris' uncontested backup, Warren is shaping up as a potential plug-and-play RB2 in the event of a Harris injury.
Sep 23, 2022, 12:20 AM ET

With the exception of the fumble, Warren looked really good and all Harris owners need to have him as a handcuff.
Agreed - the fumble most likely ended his night in the doghouse, but he probably wouldn't have seen that much action in the second half anyway the way Tomlin rides Najee. But also agree he's a must handcuff - perhaps one of the most valuable ones given how Tomlin rarely uses RBBC.

Running very effectively in limited usage.
Agreed - he looks good out there but unfortunately stuck in the most non-RBBC backfield there is. No value unless Najee goes down.

Obviously, didn’t think that needed to be stated. Strictly a lottery ticket stash.

He’s doing exactly what you hope for from a rookie given the situation - maximizing his (very limited) opportunities.

As a Javonte owner (traded for him last week - awesome), and not going to replace an RB1 with some back-ups coming into his place - a lotto ticket is likely a better pick-up as long as you can dress some other guys for a few weeks. I can roll out Penny/Pierce/Hunt - and maybe a guy like Warren or Rachaad White (who I also have) can take the place of the RB1/2 lost in JW.
Warren and Zamir White are on my league wire....will put in for one of them tonight.

WK5
Warren 5-24 & 4-39 on 5 targets
38 snaps
Harris 11-20 & 3-16 on 4 targets
34 snaps

Warren 19-94-0 & 7-46 on 9 targets
104 snaps
Harris 69-222-1 & 13-64-1 on 15 targets
199 snaps
As the Steelers fall farther hopelessly out of it, it would be great to see Warren get an extended look outside of blowouts. Unfortunately, it's not like Najee is a grizzled veteran who's on his way out.

WK5
38 snaps
34 snaps

104 snaps
199 snaps
As the Steelers fall farther hopelessly out of it, it would be great to see Warren get an extended look outside of blowouts. Unfortunately, it's not like Najee is a grizzled veteran who's on his way out.

Nothing but a lottery ticket hold on redraft

He’s shown me enough that I can’t cut him but strictly a handcuff (& I don’t own Najee)

WK5
38 snaps
34 snaps

104 snaps
199 snaps

He’s shown me enough that I can’t cut him but strictly a handcuff (& I don’t own Najee)
Same for me - just a hold/break glass in case of emergency in case Najee goes down. So far none of my handcuffs have benefited from injuries though.

When do the Steelers realize running Harris up the middle over and over isn't ever going to work?
We're just armchair fans, but seems more and more that Najee just isn't that special of a back. Granted his OL isn't doing him any favors, but his fantasy numbers were elevated last year by massive volume and tons of dumpoffs by Big Ben.

WK5
38 snaps
34 snaps

104 snaps
199 snaps

Same for me - just a hold/break glass in case of emergency in case Najee goes down. So far none of my handcuffs have benefited from injuries though.
Same.

Cut Eno Benjamin bc when Conner was nicked earlier in the year Darrel Williams got a over half of the snaps. Not wasting FAAB this week bc Conner may play Sunday.

Cut Hilliard, who has some what-the-heck-Flex appeal but not really a stand alone.

Drafted Herbert, got a few good games out of him. Back to the lottery pool, I’ll keep holding.

Traded for ETN, swapped him for Herbert at 12:45 on news Monty was playing. I picked an optimal lineup this week which NEVER happens. He’s trending in the right direction, JRob falling off a bit, but still a messy RBBC.

Would love to trade Chase Edmonds but nobody wants him. Can’t outright cut him, bc Mostert always always akways gets hurt. Into the lottery pool; it’s getting crowded. Will try to package him.

Jeff Wilson was my WW darling of the year - picked him up day before the season started, plugged him the last 4 weeks. That’s probably gonna end at some point but good ride so far. Not bad for a freebie.

Drafted and holding James Cook, against all logic. Strictly break glass, same as Warren.

Kamara is my RB1. Only reason I’m 4-1, first place & leading in points is 3 WRs in the Top 10.

Would love to trade Chase Edmonds but nobody wants him. Can’t outright cut him, bc Mostert always always akways gets hurt. Into the lottery pool; it’s getting crowded. Will try to package him.
Gah - don't get me started on him, but that's for another thread.

Have him as the RB stash. Hoping to trade him to the Najee owner if there's an injury or Najee is just ineffective. Not expecting much in return.

Maybe the Bills just weren't trying anymore, but Warren in the 4th quarter made a lot more happen when he had the ball than Harris. Granted, he was getting more opportunities in space. Even so, he made the first defender miss nearly every time. Harris is just meh.

Harris appears to be following the career path of that other Alabama running back who the Browns drafted a few years back. Heavy usage in his rookie year was his only NFL achievement.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told reporters "We've been playing Jaylen (Warren) more and will continue to do so."​

Warren played 51% of the snaps in Week 5's blowout loss to Buffalo, catching four passes for 39 yards and rushing five times for 24 yards. Najee Harris was out-snapped, out-targeted, and out-rushed, which is not good news for someone who went in the first round of most drafts before the season. Warren probably won't hold on to half the workload of the backfield, but even 30 or 35% of the snaps would be a huge deal for Harris' value.
Oct 11, 2022, 1:06 PM ET

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told reporters "We've been playing Jaylen (Warren) more and will continue to do so."​

Warren played 51% of the snaps in Week 5's blowout loss to Buffalo, catching four passes for 39 yards and rushing five times for 24 yards. Najee Harris was out-snapped, out-targeted, and out-rushed, which is not good news for someone who went in the first round of most drafts before the season. Warren probably won't hold on to half the workload of the backfield, but even 30 or 35% of the snaps would be a huge deal for Harris' value.
Oct 11, 2022, 1:06 PM ET
Just saw this - nice to hear. The blurb seemed to ignore the fact that Warren's playing time was in large part due to the blowout, but clearly Tomlin likes the kid. Maybe if things get even uglier there, Warren will get enough work to have some standalone value.

Jaylen Warren rushed two times for two yards in the Steelers' Week 6 win over the Bucs.

Coming off a Week 5 where he played 51 percent of the snaps, coach Mike Tomlin spent the week talking up the need to get Warren more work. Then he handled, and converted, a critical red zone fourth down carry on the Steelers' opening drive. Then he ... took the ball one more time all game and got out-touched 16-2 by Najee Harris. Just a reminder of how hard it is to generate standalone fantasy value as a No. 2 back. An elite insurance back, Warren is not yet a viable FLEX.

- NBCSportsEDGE

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler writes "don't be surprised" if Steelers RB Jaylen Warren is featured more this week.​

Warren set season highs in Week 8, totaling 75 yards on nine touches. The rookie has been cutting into the workload of Najee Harris in recent weeks but doesn't yet have standalone value. The Steelers hope getting Warren more involved can spark an offense that's ranked 28th in the league in yards per game (298.8).
SOURCE: ESPN
Nov 5, 2022, 11:20 AM ET

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler writes "don't be surprised" if Steelers RB Jaylen Warren is featured more this week.​

Warren set season highs in Week 8, totaling 75 yards on nine touches. The rookie has been cutting into the workload of Najee Harris in recent weeks but doesn't yet have standalone value. The Steelers hope getting Warren more involved can spark an offense that's ranked 28th in the league in yards per game (298.8).
SOURCE: ESPN
Nov 5, 2022, 11:20 AM ET
This week?

Users who are viewing this thread