What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Joe Mixon, HOU (1 Viewer)

Feel bad for Gio.  He helped me win the last 2 weeks, but I had to drop him this week to find a defense for the bye week.

Just giving a heads up - they have not been afraid to use Walton so far in the backup role, he looks good, and he will almost certainly be the #2 back while Gio is out. I don't want to jinx Mixon, but if you need a handcuff, there are a lot worse to pick up.
Yeah, I have always really liked Gio and felt he could have done more in his time with the Bengals. He was a better player than Hill but Hill really limited his potential. He is one of those guys where we will likely be stuck wondering what could have been in a different situation. 

Good call on Walton as well, thanks for the heads up. 

Who's starting him this weekend?

I have A Jones penciled in, I assumed Gio would be getting some run too, didn't realize he was injured this badly until today.

Not sure what I'm doing yet

Just giving a heads up - they have not been afraid to use Walton so far in the backup role, he looks good, and he will almost certainly be the #2 back while Gio is out. I don't want to jinx Mixon, but if you need a handcuff, there are a lot worse to pick up.
Let me provide an opposing viewpoint. Mark Walton has looked TERRIBLE. He reportedly didn’t look great in camp. His preseason was nothing short of disastrous as he rushed for 21 yards on 22 carries. On the season so far he has 5 carries for 9 yards. And it’s not just the numbers, his tape is bad too.

There were times in college where Walton absolutely looked like the real deal. I’ve never seen him look even average on an NFL field. Clearly the Bengals must have some level of belief in him but I’d be very cautious about relying on him in fantasy until he shows something closer to his previous form. He suffered a serious ankle injury in college and I'm not certain he's ever recovered.

electric Ape said:
Let me provide an opposing viewpoint. Mark Walton has looked TERRIBLE. He reportedly didn’t look great in camp. His preseason was nothing short of disastrous as he rushed for 21 yards on 22 carries. On the season so far he has 5 carries for 9 yards. And it’s not just the numbers, his tape is bad too.

There were times in college where Walton absolutely looked like the real deal. I’ve never seen him look even average on an NFL field. Clearly the Bengals must have some level of belief in him but I’d be very cautious about relying on him in fantasy until he shows something closer to his previous form. He suffered a serious ankle injury in college and I'm not certain he's ever recovered.
I don't totally disagree but you don't mention that he also had 2 receptions for 28 yards last week.

Bengals saying they will "ease" Mixon back in. Not sure what that means though if the game is on the line. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Cowboysfan8 said:

I have A Jones penciled in, I assumed Gio would be getting some run too, didn't realize he was injured this badly until today.

Starting over Kerryon so I feel good about him. It sounds like he thought he could have played last week. Everything this week seemed to go smooth and he’s off the injury report completely. 

I don't know how they ease him in with Gio out.  I think he sees ~20 touches.  

Edit:  This is from a guy with ZERO Mixon shares.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you know that if you add the points of Gio and Mixon this year they are the #4 back in PPR?

91 points, just ahead of Saquon Barkley (90).

That's with Gio's 9 points in the first 2 games, but even at 82 points they would be RB#6.

Something's cooking in Cincy.

Pretty sure he was top two when playing. Can't believe he's healed 100% but you gotta start him.
Mixon has been begging the Bengals coaches to let him play for 3 straight weeks now. He didn't even want to miss one game. His health is unknowable to us, but I think this is a pretty good sign

Mixon has been begging the Bengals coaches to let him play for 3 straight weeks now. He didn't even want to miss one game. His health is unknowable to us, but I think this is a pretty good sign
Well yeah but he did get a knee scope. Just a clean up but he did get the knife.

Cowboysfan8 said:

As long as he's healthy I'll be starting him all year.

Coach Marvin Lewis reportedly "doesn't expect to fully unleash" Joe Mixon in Week 5 against the Dolphins.

Lewis reportedly noted there were limits for Mixon due to his conditioning taking a hit during the rehab process. Without backup Giovani Bernard (knee) Sunday, fourth-round rookie Mark Walton could shoulder a few more snaps than initially expected. "I think that was a little shock to [Walton's] system. Since he’s gotten an opportunity to suit up and play he’s really taken advantage," Lewis said. "We have a comfort level with him." Mixon will still undoubtedly out-carry Walton as he did with Bernard behind him in Week 1. Confidently consider him an RB2 against the Fins.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer 

Oct 6 - 12:05 PM

Limits to his conditioning? Come on, early 20's professional athlete. The kid will be fine after this one week of practice. Marvin trying to sandbag and isn't fooling anyone
Agreed. I could put Kerryon in but I really think Mixon is getting the touches 

Now reading an Evan Silva tweet about how Lewis said wk 3 Gio and Walton would split work. Walton has 0 touches week 3.

Ilov80s said:
Now reading an Evan Silva tweet about how Lewis said wk 3 Gio and Walton would split work. Walton has 0 touches week 3.
And then Walton played on 38% of the snaps and was utilized 9 times the following week. I think that situation was different and isn't worth trying to apply to the current situation. That said, I'm starting Mixon. But my only other realstic option is Buck Allen.

Starting him over Coleman and Aaron Jones.  The WR issue in GB has me re-thinking Jones, though. Crap.

I don’t know how Mixon doesn’t wind up with less than 20 touches in a plus matchup. I expect him to get similar numbers to what Michel got against Miami with more targets

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports Joe Mixon isn't expected to have an every-down role in Week 5 against the Dolphins.

This backs up comments from Marvin Lewis earlier in the week. Mixon doesn't look ready for a full workload after sitting the last two games. This is different from Week 3 when Lewis promised to get Mark Walton involved, as Mixon is coming off surgery and not in great conditioning. Mixon will still see the bulk of carries, but he comes with some Week 5 risk.

Source: Dianna Russini on Twitter 

Oct 7 - 10:19 AM

Joe Mixon rushed 22 times for 93 yards and caught 3-of-4 passes for 22 yards and a touchdown in the Bengals' Week 5 win over the Dolphins.

Mixon was held in check on the ground before ripping a 31-yard fourth quarter run. He caught an underthrown red-zone pass from Andy Dalton for the Bengals' only offensive touchdown. Mixon played a near every-down role despite concern over his workload and looked fully healthy. He'll remain an RB2 for Week 6 against the Steelers.

Oct 7 - 4:23 PM

Users who are viewing this thread